ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags anti-semitism charges , Ilhan Omar , Kevin McCarthy , Minnesota politics , Twitter incidents

Old 13th March 2019, 07:07 AM   #561
SuburbanTurkey
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
It might, if I could make heads or tail of your post.
Just accept his conclusion. No need for context. I followed his link to twitter and I still have no idea what is happening in that video. Who are these people, why are they trying to get into that room, what exact injustice is occurring here? Presumably TBD knows, but it seems to be his style to not explain himself.

The OP TBD spat out on the HR-1 thread was terrible in a similar way. I'm not saying I disagree with his conclusion, because I have no idea what facts he used to arrive them. He dumped some link and announced that the D's are attacking the first amendment. No summary, no clear line of thinking, just a link and a conclusion. Common courtesy would be to lay out a line of thinking more thoroughly than just dumping a link with no meaningful comment.

I think I get more clarity from Bubba in the Q thread.

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 13th March 2019 at 07:19 AM.
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th March 2019, 07:34 AM   #562
The Big Dog

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
Just accept his conclusion. No need for context. I followed his link to twitter and I still have no idea what is happening in that video. Who are these people, why are they trying to get into that room, what exact injustice is occurring here? Presumably TBD knows, but it seems to be his style to not explain himself.

The OP TBD spat out on the HR-1 thread was terrible in a similar way. I'm not saying I disagree with his conclusion, because I have no idea what facts he used to arrive them. He dumped some link and announced that the D's are attacking the first amendment. No summary, no clear line of thinking, just a link and a conclusion. Common courtesy would be to lay out a line of thinking more thoroughly than just dumping a link with no meaningful comment.

I think I get more clarity from Bubba in the Q thread.
I do not know whether to laugh or cry.

folks, go hit my links, and watch the video and the comments

"Dear @SpeakerPelosi, I'm a journalist. In 2002, militants slayed Danny Pearl after my pal left my home in Karachi. His last words: "I am a Jew." Last week, I reported on CAIR & Linda Sarsour lobbying for Ilhan Omar. Here is what happened, via CAIR footage. World: What do you see?"

"Below is the video from the angle of my phone. In my video, you can hear Linda Sarsour's order to her CAIR-affiliated aides, as well as their taunting. In the CAIR video, you can see their clearly aggressive body blocking. From any angle, it's wrong."

Oh well, it is refreshing to see people absolutely resistant to doing anything to educate themselves. Oh well.

If anyone need anything about the video explained, please let me know.
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th March 2019, 07:52 AM   #563
SuburbanTurkey
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
I do not know whether to laugh or cry.

folks, go hit my links, and watch the video and the comments

"Dear @SpeakerPelosi, I'm a journalist. In 2002, militants slayed Danny Pearl after my pal left my home in Karachi. His last words: "I am a Jew." Last week, I reported on CAIR & Linda Sarsour lobbying for Ilhan Omar. Here is what happened, via CAIR footage. World: What do you see?"

"Below is the video from the angle of my phone. In my video, you can hear Linda Sarsour's order to her CAIR-affiliated aides, as well as their taunting. In the CAIR video, you can see their clearly aggressive body blocking. From any angle, it's wrong."

Oh well, it is refreshing to see people absolutely resistant to doing anything to educate themselves. Oh well.

If anyone need anything about the video explained, please let me know.
Ok, try who, what, when, where, and why.

Who are these people? Where are they? Who are they going to see? Why is the journalist being blocked? Who's office is she being blocked from? Why should we care? Is it typical for ambush interviews to be allowed to happen in this context?

I still have no idea what this is or why anyone should care.
Old 13th March 2019, 08:06 AM   #564
The Big Dog

Ok, try who, what, when, where, and why.

Who are these people? Where are they? Who are they going to see? Why is the journalist being blocked? Who's office is she being blocked from? Why should we care? Is it typical for ambush interviews to be allowed to happen in this context?

I still have no idea what this is or why anyone should care.
Lets start with the first question, obviously you know who the journalist in question is because I linked to her twitter account. I also assume that you know who CAIR & Linda Sarsour and Ilhan Omar and Rashida Tlaib and Louis Farrakhan are too, correct?
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th March 2019, 09:29 AM   #565
SuburbanTurkey
Graduate Poster

Lets start with the first question, obviously you know who the journalist in question is because I linked to her twitter account. I also assume that you know who CAIR & Linda Sarsour and Ilhan Omar and Rashida Tlaib and Louis Farrakhan are too, correct?
Why assume I know any of these people when you could easily explain it briefly in a coherent narrative rather?

But yes, I knew most of the involved. Didn't recognize Sarsour's name. What exactly is supposed to be happening here?
Old 13th March 2019, 09:35 AM   #566
The Big Dog

Why assume I know any of these people when you could easily explain it briefly in a coherent narrative rather?

But yes, I knew most of the involved. Didn't recognize Sarsour's name. What exactly is supposed to be happening here?
Because I am trying to be helpful, despite the fact that what is happening here is very clear to me.

Now, what is happening is that Linda Sansour, who has fairly strong ties to Farrakhan and thus is aligned with anti-Jewish sentiments, was going to Lobby Rashida Tlaib in the office building that houses members of the House. Sansour was accompanied by bodyguards from another anti-Israel group, CAIR, and they physically blocked a disfavored journalist from covering the event. So American lobbyists are using anti-Jewish and terrorist aligned CAIR bodyguards to dictate how American journalists can do their jobs. Omar uses the same thugs to block journalists from asking her questions too.

In the building where there are offices of members of the US House of Representatives.

Last edited by The Big Dog; 13th March 2019 at 09:40 AM.
Old 13th March 2019, 09:38 AM   #567
SuburbanTurkey
Graduate Poster

Because I am trying to be helpful, despite the fact that what is happening here is very clear to me.

Now, what is happening is that Linda Sansour, who has fairly strong ties to Farrakhan and thus is aligned with anti-Jewish sentiments, was going to Lobby Rashida Tlaib in the office building that houses members of the House. Sansour was accompanied by bodyguards from another anti-Israel group, CAIR, and they physically blocked a disfavored journalist from covering the event.

In the building where there are offices of members of the US House of Representatives.
Are these meetings generally open to the public? The whole scene seems very chaotic to me, but I'm not familiar with what is typical. Is it normal for journalists to push into meetings set in a Representative's office?
Old 13th March 2019, 09:50 AM   #568
The Big Dog

Are these meetings generally open to the public? The whole scene seems very chaotic to me, but I'm not familiar with what is typical. Is it normal for journalists to push into meetings set in a Representative's office?
Yes, there is typically an open session with the press, but the room is limited, and getting space is competitive. It is very unusual for a "bodyguard" to block access, and then to mock the woman they blocked.

CAIR is controlling access to US Representatives in a US building.
Old 13th March 2019, 09:54 AM   #569
SuburbanTurkey
Graduate Poster

Yes, there is typically an open session with the press, but the room is limited, and getting space is competitive. It is very unusual for a "bodyguard" to block access, and then to mock the woman they blocked.

CAIR is controlling access to US Representatives in a US building.
Wouldn't it have been much easier to just say that in your original post? I mean, it didn't really add much length and goes a long way in supporting your conclusion. I'm not being intentionally obtuse when I say that I really didn't even understand what was happening or why anyone would care based on your first post.

All that being said, even with the context I still don't really care.
Old 13th March 2019, 10:01 AM   #570
The Big Dog

Wouldn't it have been much easier to just say that in your original post? I mean, it didn't really add much length and goes a long way in supporting your conclusion. I'm not being intentionally obtuse when I say that I really didn't even understand what was happening or why anyone would care based on your first post.

All that being said, even with the context I still don't really care.
Yeah, there was no question I was wasting my time. I knew it, but there we are.

The video and comments were absolutely crystal clear, and needed absolutely further explanation to anyone with the first bit, the tiniest bit of understanding who the thugs in the video are, including Sansour and CAIR

I was asked to provide explanation, did so, only to be that a skeptic does not care, I mean cared enough to bitterly whine about it. say folks, if you don't understand something, literally no one is forcing you to post.

Terrorist enablers and anti-Semitic organizations are controlling journalists' access to members of the House and our correspondents:

"still don't really care."

WOW
Old 13th March 2019, 10:04 AM   #571
Belz...
Fiend God

Yeah, there was no question I was wasting my time.
You know, at some time in your life, your inability to make arguments that people can make sense of should tip you off to the possibility that you're just communicating poorly.

Unless you're doing it on purpose, that is.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th March 2019, 10:06 AM   #572
SuburbanTurkey
Graduate Poster

Yeah, there was no question I was wasting my time. I knew it, but there we are.

The video and comments were absolutely crystal clear, and needed absolutely further explanation to anyone with the first bit, the tiniest bit of understanding who the thugs in the video are, including Sansour and CAIR

I was asked to provide explanation, did so, only to be that a skeptic does not care, I mean cared enough to bitterly whine about it. say folks, if you don't understand something, literally no one is forcing you to post.

Terrorist enablers and anti-Semitic organizations are controlling journalists' access to members of the House and our correspondents:

"still don't really care."

WOW
Seems like all in a days work for a hill reporter. It's a rowdy crowd, these things happen. This is the same place where you have protesters screaming at politicians, reporters running after politicians for a quick interview, and politicians darting around like a roach caught in the open.

I have a feeling that if the Rep. wanted to speak with her, she'd have no problem getting in the door. If the scandal here is "Tlaib is working closely with CAIR", I'm not impressed.

I fail to see what is really schoolyard shenanigans rising to the level of scandal. Maybe if they made a habit of it. Sure, it's pretty petty to block a door for a journalist you don't like, but I'm not going to get animated over adults playing the "I'm not touching you" game

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 13th March 2019 at 10:09 AM.
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th March 2019, 10:13 AM   #573
The Big Dog

Seems like all in a days work for a hill reporter. It's a rowdy crowd, these things happen. This is the same place where you have protesters screaming at politicians, reporters running after politicians for a quick interview, and politicians darting around like a roach caught in the open.

I have a feeling that if the Rep. wanted to speak with her, she'd have no problem getting in the door. If the scandal here is "Tlaib is working closely with CAIR", I'm not impressed.

I fail to see what is really schoolyard shenanigans rising to the level of scandal. Maybe if they made a habit of it. Sure, it's pretty petty to block a door for a journalist you don't like, but I'm not going to get animated over adults playing the "I'm not touching you" game
Its not but:

"Tlaib is working closely with CAIR", I'm not impressed.

cool cool

CAIR has close ties to the muslim brotherhood and hamas

But our poster? Not impressed..

cool.
Old 13th March 2019, 10:18 AM   #574
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
You know, at some time in your life, your inability to make arguments that people can make sense of should tip you off to the possibility that you're just communicating poorly.

Unless you're doing it on purpose, that is.
I think the technical term is "Trolling".

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th March 2019, 10:23 AM   #575
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Its not but:

"
CAIR has close ties to the muslim brotherhood and hamas

cool.
Proof?
Not thrilled with a lot of the positions that CAIR takes, but I need proof before I accept they are supporting terrorist groups (which HAMAS and The Brotherhood are by any definition of the word).

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th March 2019, 10:24 AM   #576
The Big Dog

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
I think the technical term is "Trolling".
Yeah, it is not, not at all.

But in my defense, i thought it was so bloody god damn obvious that people who post here did not have to be spoon fed every little thing, and if they did not understand it, why bother posting?

Actually, I am of the belief that people actually understood it, and really don't care that a Hamas linked outfit, and actual anti-Semities are making strong headway among the Democrats.

Hanging around CAIR thugs is a feature, and not a bug folks.
Old 13th March 2019, 10:31 AM   #577
SuburbanTurkey
Graduate Poster

Yeah, it is not, not at all.

But in my defense, i thought it was so bloody god damn obvious that people who post here did not have to be spoon fed every little thing, and if they did not understand it, why bother posting?

Actually, I am of the belief that people actually understood it, and really don't care that a Hamas linked outfit, and actual anti-Semities are making strong headway among the Democrats.

Hanging around CAIR thugs is a feature, and not a bug folks.
I assure you my lack of comprehension on your post, and many of your posts, is sincere. I am confident I am not the only member of this forum that is often unclear at what point you are trying to make. This is distinct from me generally disagreeing with you on most positions you take that I do understand.

In general, I find many of your posts would benefit from more elaboration besides just putting in a headline or link and then stating a conclusion. I often assume this is deliberate, but figured I would inquire this time out of curiosity.

I am under the impression that deliberate ambiguity combined with hyperbolic conclusions is your preferred style. If this isn't trolling, it's a close relative.
Old 13th March 2019, 10:50 AM   #578
The Big Dog

I assure you my lack of comprehension on your post, and many of your posts, is sincere. I am confident I am not the only member of this forum that is often unclear at what point you are trying to make. This is distinct from me generally disagreeing with you on most positions you take that I do understand.

In general, I find many of your posts would benefit from more elaboration besides just putting in a headline or link and then stating a conclusion. I often assume this is deliberate, but figured I would inquire this time out of curiosity.

I am under the impression that deliberate ambiguity combined with hyperbolic conclusions is your preferred style. If this isn't trolling, it's a close relative.
Dude, no need to explain, you asked questions that were CLEARLY answered by the video, and after I explained in detail the things that are clearly shown in the video and surrounding comments.

And then after all that you said "I still don't care."

Which cool cool.
Old 13th March 2019, 10:55 AM   #579
Border Reiver
Philosopher

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Proof?
Not thrilled with a lot of the positions that CAIR takes, but I need proof before I accept they are supporting terrorist groups (which HAMAS and The Brotherhood are by any definition of the word).
given that the FBI often works WITH CAIR, I'm going to step out on a limb and say that there is no information that would stand up to any sort of scrutiny.
Old 13th March 2019, 11:20 AM   #580
The Big Dog

Originally Posted by Border Reiver View Post
given that the FBI often works WITH CAIR, I'm going to step out on a limb and say that there is no information that would stand up to any sort of scrutiny.
Well, considering that CAIR was an unidicted co-conspirator in the Holy Land Foundation case which involved fundraising for Hamas I am going out on a limb and say that stands up to scrutiny
Old 9th April 2019, 01:06 PM   #581
The Big Dog

9/11 terrorist attacks "Some people did something."

According to a US representative, instead of referring to 9/11 as a day we will never forget, we should refer to its as:

a day "Some people did something."

Fortunately, after 9/11 the day "Some people did something" some other people created actual terrorist support organization CAIR in the United States.

9/11 = "Some people did something."

Omar is a total scumbag...
Old 9th April 2019, 07:18 PM   #582
Travis
Misanthrope of the Mountains

Omar continues to be my hero and I love that TBD hates her so much.

Yesterday she correctly called out Stephen Miller as a White Nationalist. About time someone in Congress did.

Travis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th April 2019, 07:29 PM   #583
The Big Dog

Originally Posted by Travis View Post
Omar continues to be my hero and I love that TBD hates her so much.

Yesterday she correctly called out Stephen Miller as a White Nationalist. About time someone in Congress did.
9/11 Terrorist attack: "Some people did something"

Anyway, you are saying a fanatical anti-Semitic terrorist supporter who said that 9/11 was a day "some people did something" called out a Jew??

Who would have thought?

Truthers gonna truth, folks. Say Travis, can you post a stundies thread so that your hero's comment that 9/11 was a day that "some people did something" can get the votes it deserves?
Old 13th April 2019, 01:34 AM   #584
Travis

Hey, are we gonna talk about how President Trump is actively trying to get this congresswoman assassinated?

Seems like we should be talking about that.

Travis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2019, 05:12 AM   #585
eeyore1954
Philosopher

Hey, are we gonna talk about how President Trump is actively trying to get this congresswoman assassinated?

It was her own poor choice of words that puts her in danger.
eeyore1954 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2019, 05:31 AM   #586
Mumbles
Philosopher

Originally Posted by eeyore1954 View Post
You mean calling the terrorists "terrorists", and then noting that many people blamed all muslims (and Sihks, because bigots are often ignorant) were blamed for the actions of a few?

No, that's nota good reason for Cheeto Benito to goad his idiot white supremacist base into trying to kill her. But it's perfectly on-brand for him to do so, as he's promised his fanbase violence against nonwhite people throughout his campaign and presidency.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2019, 06:33 AM   #587
Travis

Her word choice was fine. Nothing wrong with anything she said.

So try again.

Old 13th April 2019, 07:50 AM   #588
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Why does this make her more likely to be assassinated?
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2019, 08:01 AM   #589
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

So try again.
Her word choice is fine? What speech or writing professor is not going to tear you apart for, "some people did something"?

The word choice is awful. It is ridiculously vague.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2019, 10:21 AM   #590
eeyore1954
Philosopher

So try again.
Calling crashing airplanes into the twin towers and killing thousands was a poor choice of words in my opinion. I understand the point she was trying to make.
eeyore1954 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2019, 11:50 AM   #591
Egg
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
Her word choice is fine? What speech or writing professor is not going to tear you apart for, "some people did something"?

The word choice is awful. It is ridiculously vague.
Your issue is that she was vague? Perhaps the context of the sentence helps - after all, the bigot-spin-fake-outrage machine didn't seem to have much trouble understanding what "some people" and "something" referred to.

Calling crashing airplanes into the twin towers and killing thousands was a poor choice of words in my opinion. I understand the point she was trying to make.
Do you think it was fair to suggest that she was trivializing the event and is unpatriotic, based on her choice of words, seeing as you understand her point? Do you think anyone would have even noticed if the words had come from some old, white guy?

"That's the thing with eggs: It's all about chicks and getting laid." - Wuschel
"A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg" - Samuel Butler
“When arguing with a stone an egg is always wrong” - African proverb
“A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked” - Bernard Meltzer
Egg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2019, 01:53 PM   #592
eeyore1954
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Egg View Post
Do you think it was fair to suggest that she was trivializing the event and is unpatriotic, based on her choice of words, seeing as you understand her point? Do you think anyone would have even noticed if the words had come from some old, white guy?
Yes I do. Quotes are taken out of context for old white guys all the time.

Last edited by eeyore1954; 13th April 2019 at 01:54 PM.
Old 13th April 2019, 04:29 PM   #593
Travis

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
Why does this make her more likely to be assassinated?
Stochatic terrorism. Let your allies know who you really hate and then wait for one of them to do the dirty deed. It worked in the synagogue shooting in Pittsburgh and with the murder attempts on George Soros.

Old 13th April 2019, 09:53 PM   #594
Mumbles
Philosopher

Stochatic terrorism. Let your allies know who you really hate and then wait for one of them to do the dirty deed. It worked in the synagogue shooting in Pittsburgh and with the murder attempts on George Soros.
Truthfully, if you still think that US Muslims are okay with the 9/11 terrorist attacks, after almost 18 years of them unequivocally denouncing terrorism en masse, it's because you are either an idiot, or you're a bigot who wants to believe that all Muslims are your enemy.

Neither one is at all admirable.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th April 2019, 06:21 AM   #595
Parsman
Muse

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
Truthfully, if you still think that US Muslims are okay with the 9/11 terrorist attacks, after almost 18 years of them unequivocally denouncing terrorism en masse, it's because you are either an idiot, or you're a bigot who wants to believe that all Muslims are your enemy.

Neither one is at all admirable.
I give you the 45th President of the United States, Donald J. Trump. Living proof that this is not an either / or option. He is bigly an idiot and a bigot.

When you're dead you don't know that you're dead, all the pain is felt by others....................the same thing happens when you're stupid.
Parsman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th April 2019, 06:50 AM   #596
Shalamar
Dark Lord of the JREF

Originally Posted by Parsman View Post
I give you the 45th President of the United States, Donald J. Trump. Living proof that this is not an either / or option. He is bigly an idiot and a bigot.
A bigliot, if you will.

"The truth is out there. But the lies are inside your head."
Shalamar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th April 2019, 10:49 AM   #597
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

So you folks are all trying to get Trump killed?
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th April 2019, 12:12 PM   #598
WilliamSeger
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
Few people have that sort of influence over others. Travis should have said, "Let your cult know who you really hate..."
Old 14th April 2019, 12:37 PM   #599
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

But we should be allowed to let people know who we really hate. We have a right to hate and be hated
Old 14th April 2019, 12:51 PM   #600
Mumbles
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
Nope, unlike Dolt 465, we don't promote violence as a response to speech.

Did you forget that part?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics