ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags anti-semitism charges , Ilhan Omar , Kevin McCarthy , Minnesota politics , Twitter incidents

Old 12th February 2019, 08:50 AM   #321
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by applecorped View Post
Where was that post about Republicans not having a sense of humour?
Old 12th February 2019, 09:03 AM   #322
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
Where was that post about Republicans not having a sense of humour?
Did Jesus make jokes? No, he suffered, so we should all be miserable as well.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2019, 09:54 AM   #323
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Did Jesus make jokes? No, he suffered, so we should all be miserable as well.
He called Peter a rock, and thus Roman Catholicism was born from somebody not getting a humorous insult.
Old 12th February 2019, 10:11 AM   #324
Cavemonster
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Me
When you ask a conservative why they said "Democrat Party" they bat their eyes and ask "Whatever do you mean?".

Originally Posted by ahhell View Post
Given that I don't think the vast majority of Americans are even aware that it is suppose to be an insult or even notice the difference, I'm unconvinced.

So, who on the forum is still using Democrat Party out of spite rather than ignorance and laziness? Where have they offered a different reason? How do you know they are lying?
Thank you for that demonstration.
The weakness of all Utopias is this, ... They first assume that no man will want more than his share, and then are very ingenious in explaining whether his share will be delivered by motorcar or balloon.
-G.K. CHESTERTON
Cavemonster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2019, 10:15 AM   #325
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
He called Peter a rock, and thus Roman Catholicism was born from somebody not getting a humorous insult.
"Hey Jesus!"
"Yeah Peter what ups?"
"I'm writing the rules down, can dudes bang other dudes?"
"Ah... let me think... yeah they just have to get high after."
*Writing* "No man shall lay with another man lest he be stoned after.... got it."

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 12th February 2019 at 10:22 AM.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2019, 10:15 AM   #326
autumn1971
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
Evidently not.

Look, it's not actually complicated. Saying that criticism of Israel isn't antisemitic is irrelevant, because she wasn't criticizing Israel, and nobody was saying her tweets were antisemitic because of any criticism of Israel.
She was criticizing an unConstitutional bill brought by members of congress who receive money from an apartheid government’s lobbying group.

I think the republicans were also upset that she referenced a song performed by the darkies.
'A knave; a rascal; an eater of broken meats; a base, proud, shallow, beggardly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave; a lily-livered, action-taking knave, a whoreson, glass-gazing, superservicable, finical rogue;... the son and heir of a mongral bitch: one whom I will beat into clamorous whining, if thou deniest the least syllable of thy addition."'
-The Bard
autumn1971 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2019, 10:20 AM   #327
CaptainHowdy
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
Yes that is not necessarily true, but in the US those two views are highly coincident. Note that I'm referring to people who hold the specific view that Jesus will return in their lifetime or nearly so. Those that hold the vaguer view that Jesus will return at some indefinite time are less likely to believe the that Israel must exist before the Second Coming.
Evidence?
CaptainHowdy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2019, 10:26 AM   #328
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

Originally Posted by CaptainHowdy View Post
Evidence?
I see you have a low thread count but this has been hashed out a number of times on this board. If you just google the various views you'll come up with numbers that support that conclusion. If you can't find it on your own and still care, then bump the thread this weekend and I'll track it down yet again.

Make a fire for a man and you keep him warm for a day. Set him on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2019, 11:17 AM   #329
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

The Bigot-in-Chief is demanding that she resign. Hypocrisy on a steroid IV drip.

Old 12th February 2019, 11:20 AM   #330
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
The Bigot-in-Chief is demanding that she resign. Hypocrisy on a steroid IV drip.

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...30d62a29c8.png
You know that photo was altered right?
Education, not epiphanies
Intellect, not ignorance.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2019, 11:31 AM   #331
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
You know that photo was altered right?
No.
Old 12th February 2019, 11:39 AM   #332
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Travis View Post
I love Ilhan. I think she is one of the greatest rising stars in Congress and I hope that one day she becomes a Senator at the very least.

Anyone that thinks she is actually anti-Semitic is ....... I would be punished for saying the things I'm thinking. Needless to say you are wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong.

I hang on her every tweet. I've followed her from the start. This whole thing with so, so many idiots thinking that a clear reference to bribery strikes extra hard because I have yet to see any of her tweets where idiots don't pop up asking her to denounce this or that Imam from who knows where saying something provocative. She's been forced by idiots on the right to answer for every little thing Islam does from the very start.

And now....she is being forced to make an apology she did not need to give because even more idiots decided to make an issue out of this.

I'm so pissed you have no idea. I've been fighting the urge to punch a wall all day.

So Omar is above all criticism? Nice. A Bizarro version of a Trump supporter in their blind worship of a politician.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2019, 11:52 AM   #333
The Big Dog

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
So Omar is above all criticism? Nice. A Bizarro version of a Trump supporter in their blind worship of a politician.
Oh dear.....

/a fine and worthy example of it indeed!
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2019, 12:02 PM   #334
CaptainHowdy
Graduate Poster

I see you have a low thread count but this has been hashed out a number of times on this board. If you just google the various views you'll come up with numbers that support that conclusion. If you can't find it on your own and still care, then bump the thread this weekend and I'll track it down yet again.
Cool. Just so we're clear: I'll be looking for 1) evidence that the belief that Israel must exist so it can be destroyed is necessary for Jesus to return and 2) that this informs US policy toward Israel. Evidence of evangelicals with wacky beliefs won't do it. Evidence that there's a whole lot of them out there won't do it. I want evidence that the Jews who provide half the donations to the Democrats and a quarter of the donations to the Republicans (link) are less influential in shaping US policy toward Israel than Christian Zionists.
CaptainHowdy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2019, 12:28 PM   #335
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

Cool. Just so we're clear: I'll be looking for 1) evidence that the belief that Israel must exist so it can be destroyed is necessary for Jesus to return and 2) that this informs US policy toward Israel. Evidence of evangelicals with wacky beliefs won't do it. Evidence that there's a whole lot of them out there won't do it. I want evidence that the Jews who provide half the donations to the Democrats and a quarter of the donations to the Republicans (link) are less influential in shaping US policy toward Israel than Christian Zionists.
Uh, wait. I didn't claim anything about political funding. I'm just claiming that certain wacky beliefs tend to be "part of a package". Your point 1 is all I'm claiming and you shouldn't have any trouble finding that fundamentalists in the US believe that in large numbers.

ETA: specifically those that believe Jesus is returning in their lifetime will also tend to believe that Israel needs to be restored. They will also tend to be believers in the rapture, tribulation, etc.

Make a fire for a man and you keep him warm for a day. Set him on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.

Last edited by RecoveringYuppy; 12th February 2019 at 12:35 PM.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2019, 12:31 PM   #336
applecorped
Suspended

Then get to work and let us know what you find
applecorped is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2019, 12:36 PM   #337
Drewbot
Philosopher

No.
Um, the article you posted is about the altering of the image from a star to a circle.
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2019, 12:41 PM   #338
Cavemonster
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Drewbot View Post
Um, the article you posted is about the altering of the image from a star to a circle.
The version varwoche posted was the original.

Edited by Agatha:  Edited for incivility
The weakness of all Utopias is this, ... They first assume that no man will want more than his share, and then are very ingenious in explaining whether his share will be delivered by motorcar or balloon.
-G.K. CHESTERTON

Last edited by Agatha; 23rd February 2019 at 01:47 PM.
Cavemonster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2019, 12:47 PM   #339
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Yeah, the Trump campaign did take down that Hilary ad after it created a fuss and replaced it with an altered one.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2019, 01:06 PM   #340
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Drewbot View Post
I suggest you read the article with a tad bit more attentiveness.
Old 12th February 2019, 01:13 PM   #341
The Big Dog

Louis Farrakhan's super fan and Women's march bigot Tamika Mallory rushes to defend her bigoted friend Ilhan!

yay!

Last edited by The Big Dog; 12th February 2019 at 01:16 PM.
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2019, 01:17 PM   #342
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
Oh dear.....
Translation: "Phew! There's the word 'so' in his post. I can ignore everything in there, now!"

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2019, 03:49 PM   #343
mgidm86
Philosopher

Oh dear.....

/a fine and worthy example of it indeed!
Normally you'd be correct maybe, but...

I think Travis is actually upset about the high speed rail project being all but killed by the new governor. Hey I sure as hell didn't vote for him!
Old 12th February 2019, 04:59 PM   #344
Mumbles
Philosopher

I'm pretty sure this means we're allowed to banish the idiot in chief to the Phantom Zone.

Again, pretty much every republican except Tim Scott should resign before Omar does.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2019, 05:08 PM   #345
Cavemonster
Philosopher

Louis Farrakhan's super fan and Women's march bigot Tamika Mallory rushes to defend her bigoted friend Ilhan!

yay!
I just want to get this straight.

If someone is defended/supported by a bigot that tells us something important about the person being defended?

Because there's a certain president who has been supported by some real lovely characters....
-G.K. CHESTERTON

Last edited by Cavemonster; 12th February 2019 at 05:29 PM.
Old 12th February 2019, 05:21 PM   #346
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Originally Posted by Travis View Post
Can the higher power I must surrender myself to be a can of soup that I believe to have created the universe?
Does the soup have an expiration date?
Old 12th February 2019, 05:41 PM   #347
CaptainHowdy
Graduate Poster

Uh, wait. I didn't claim anything about political funding. I'm just claiming that certain wacky beliefs tend to be "part of a package". Your point 1 is all I'm claiming and you shouldn't have any trouble finding that fundamentalists in the US believe that in large numbers.
"Large numbers" is ambiguous but I'm not denying that there are people who believe that Jesus will return someday, maybe soon.

Quote:
ETA: specifically those that believe Jesus is returning in their lifetime will also tend to believe that Israel needs to be restored. They will also tend to be believers in the rapture, tribulation, etc.
It's true that you didn't make the claim that Christians who believe Israel must exist so it can be destroyed when Jesus returns is the reason for the special relationship between Israel and the US. But that claim has been made here (and elsewhere). It's the idea that the United States gives Israel the support (especially military support) that it does because Israel needs to exist so it can be destroyed or that Christian Zionist theology is dictating policy toward Israel that I call absurd.
Old 12th February 2019, 06:05 PM   #348
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

"Large numbers" is ambiguous but I'm not denying that there are people who believe that Jesus will return someday, maybe soon.

It's true that you didn't make the claim that Christians who believe Israel must exist so it can be destroyed when Jesus returns is the reason for the special relationship between Israel and the US. But that claim has been made here (and elsewhere). It's the idea that the United States gives Israel the support (especially military support) that it does because Israel needs to exist so it can be destroyed or that Christian Zionist theology is dictating policy toward Israel that I call absurd.
Is it? Have you heard the Christian right talk about this subject? And clearly they are a huge influence in the Republican party.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2019, 06:20 PM   #349
Mumbles
Philosopher

Is it? Have you heard the Christian right talk about this subject? And clearly they are a huge influence in the Republican party.
Yep. It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if they were the majority of pro-Likud donations because of this (and because Jewish Americans tend to be far more liberal, and far more likely to question Likud's abuses, than evangelical Christians are).
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2019, 06:27 PM   #350
The Big Dog

Originally Posted by Cavemonster View Post
I just want to get this straight.

If someone is defended/supported by a bigot that tells us something important about the person being defended?....
Yep! When a bigot is defended by bigots like Illhan the brother ******* bigot has been defended by spectacular bigots like the Farrakettes?

That tells us she is is a bigot

GREAT POINT!!!!
Old 12th February 2019, 07:07 PM   #351
mgidm86
Philosopher

YOL. Yawns Out Loud. No really, I just did.
Old 12th February 2019, 07:37 PM   #352
Cavemonster
Philosopher

Yep! When a bigot is defended by bigots like Illhan the brother ******* bigot has been defended by spectacular bigots like the Farrakettes?

That tells us she is is a bigot

GREAT POINT!!!!
Sorry what?
-G.K. CHESTERTON
Old 12th February 2019, 07:47 PM   #353
I Am The Scum
Illuminator

Sorry what?
Rule of so.... rry
I Am The Scum is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2019, 07:50 PM   #354
The Big Dog

Sorry what?
Just agreeing with your totally awesome point my dude!

Ton of literal nightmare bigots are rushing to the defense of the scumbag, and as you just pointed out?

"If someone is defended/supported by a bigot that tells us something important about the person being defended?"

Hell yes!

Great point Cavemonster!!!
Old 12th February 2019, 08:05 PM   #355
Minoosh
Philosopher

Believing Jesus will return by 2050 isn't the same as believing that Israel must exist so it can be destroyed for this to happen.
No, but it doesn't hurt.

But it's still absurd to think that end of times prophecies are taken seriously enough by anybody to inform US foreign policy towards Israel. It's absurd to even think that Christian Zionists have greater influence on US policy towards Israel than Jewish Zionists do.
Just because it's absurd doesn't mean it can't happen.

If U.S. voters are as religious as they say they are, that's a pretty big voting bloc right there. They could be lying, of course. But it's been documented over and over. So I don't discount the idea that the prophesies of end-times preachers play a fairly a significant role in international affairs.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2019, 08:29 PM   #356
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Believing Jesus will return by 2050 isn't the same as believing that Israel must exist so it can be destroyed for this to happen.

But it's still absurd to think that end of times prophecies are taken seriously enough by anybody to inform US foreign policy towards Israel. It's absurd to even think that Christian Zionists have greater influence on US policy towards Israel than Jewish Zionists do.
Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
No, but it doesn't hurt.

Just because it's absurd doesn't mean it can't happen.

If U.S. voters are as religious as they say they are, that's a pretty big voting bloc right there. They could be lying, of course. But it's been documented over and over. So I don't discount the idea that the prophesies of end-times preachers play a fairly a significant role in international affairs.
I have NO DOUBT the apocalyptic Christian belief affects US Irael policy. None. Whether Christians believe the apocalypse will happen in their lifetime is secondary to the consideration there must be an Israel for it to happen at all. At least, that seems to be the overwhelming belief among evangelicals.

The late great Christopher Hitchens wrote and talked about this unholy alliance extensively.

Last edited by acbytesla; 12th February 2019 at 08:43 PM.
Old 12th February 2019, 08:57 PM   #357
The Big Dog

I have NO DOUBT the apocalyptic Christian belief affects US Irael policy. None. Whether Christians believe the apocalypse will happen in their lifetime is secondary to the consideration there must be an Israel for it to happen at all. At least, that seems to be the overwhelming belief among evangelicals.

The late great Christopher Hitchens wrote and talked about this unholy alliance extensively.
Yeah, well to be honest Chris Hitchens was a bigger anti-Semitic bigot and anti religious fanatic then he was a drunk, so that is saying something.

Of course, having seen your posts in this thread, I can understand why you see that as a feature and not a bug.

Last edited by The Big Dog; 12th February 2019 at 08:58 PM.
Old 12th February 2019, 09:19 PM   #358
Travis
Misanthrope of the Mountains

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Travis. Go outside.

I'm going to start reporting posts like this if people don't stop it. Dismissing my points with nonsense like this is insulting.

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post

If I believed that I would have said that. She did nothing wrong here. What she did was say the thing that needed to be said and a legion of delusional wingnuts took it off into la la land.

Travis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2019, 10:42 PM   #359
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

https://mobile.twitter.com/MairavZ/s...97145577177088

AIPAC argues that she was wrong to say they pay politicians to be pro Israel....in an email where they ask for more money.
BobTheCoward is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2019, 07:17 AM   #360
Donal
Illuminator

Here is Bernie Sanders publicly criticizing AIPAC and their lobbying efforts to affect US policy.

Here is Rand Paul publicly criticizing AIPAC for working against US interests.

Neither were accused of Antisemitism or forced to apologize. No one called for them to resign or be removed from committees.

I wonder what the difference is.
Donal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics