ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Congressional hearings , donald trump , Michael Cohen , Trump controversies

Old 27th February 2019, 04:02 AM   #1
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Michael Cohen's Congressional testimony

I feel like this should probably have its own thread.

First, here is his opening written statement in full.

And here is the TL/DR version, thanks to the Failing New York Times.

It's worth bearing in mind that there is claimed documentary support for much of what Cohen is going to say, and that he's already said much, if not all, of what he's going to say to Mueller - in other words, if he contradicts what he's already testified to, then he's in serious legal trouble beyond the trouble he's already in.
Old 27th February 2019, 04:41 AM   #2
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

I see the Cohen testimony as a resource for current and future investigative committees: it doesn't exactly matter if Cohen speaking only the truth and nothing but, or if he has evidence to prove it;
what matters is that future investigators, can use his testimony as the reason for questioning people of interest or even for issuing subpoenas.

I see him as the 2nd stage of the Mueller Grand Opening, with McCabe have laid the initial foundation, and Cohen explaining where all the rooms are going to be.
It will be up to Mueller and prosecutors following his investigations to actually build and fill the house.
Old 27th February 2019, 06:11 AM   #3
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Well, in all honesty I don't think we're going to learn anything new. I certainly don't think Mueller will. This will just be corroborative evidence for the public, and additional evidence for investigations other than Mueller's.
Old 27th February 2019, 06:12 AM   #4
SuburbanTurkey
Graduate Poster

I just hope that Congress treads carefully. Congress compelled Oliver North to testify and it resulted in him escaping criminal liability for Iran Contra on the grounds that he was forced to testify against himself. His convictions were overturned on appeal.

We need to balance priorities here, which is tough when we are totally in the dark in regards to the Mueller probe.
Old 27th February 2019, 07:02 AM   #5
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
Well, in all honesty I don't think we're going to learn anything new. I certainly don't think Mueller will. This will just be corroborative evidence for the public, and additional evidence for investigations other than Mueller's.
I expect that you are quite correct.

After all, so much of what Cohen did for himself and for Trump is already public knowledge.
A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2019, 08:16 AM   #6
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
I just hope that Congress treads carefully. Congress compelled Oliver North to testify and it resulted in him escaping criminal liability for Iran Contra on the grounds that he was forced to testify against himself. His convictions were overturned on appeal.
The charges against North were overturned because it was found that his earlier Congressional testimony may have prejudiced the jury of his later trial. Cohen has already been charged, plead guilty, and been sentenced.
Old 27th February 2019, 08:20 AM   #7
SuburbanTurkey
Graduate Poster

The charges against North were overturned because it was found that his earlier Congressional testimony may have prejudiced the jury of his later trial. Cohen has already been charged, plead guilty, and been sentenced.
Thanks for the correction, not sure how I came to that misunderstanding.

My concern still stands that congressional inquiries could make criminal conviction difficult or impossible. North's highly public testimony made it impossible for him to have a fair trial, despite being guilty as sin.

I want as many of these crooks going to jail for as long a possible, not just Cohen. I hope Congress doesn't do anything to endanger that goal. Cohen's testimony today could lead to further inquiry of so-far unindicted participants.

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 27th February 2019 at 08:21 AM.
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2019, 08:24 AM   #8
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Emptywheel article discussing some of what Cohen's written statement may say about Mueller
Old 27th February 2019, 08:25 AM   #9
Thermal
Philosopher

'He is a racist. He is a conman. He is a cheat.'

Ouch.
Old 27th February 2019, 08:26 AM   #10
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
I want as many of these crooks going to jail for as long a possible, not just Cohen. I hope Congress doesn't do anything to endanger that goal. Cohen's testimony today could lead to further inquiry of so-far unindicted participants.
It's an interesting question as to whether Trump could possibly have an unprejudiced trial. But I don't think Cohen's testimony is going to reveal anything groundbreaking. There's so much in the public domain already.
Old 27th February 2019, 08:29 AM   #11
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Well, in all honesty I don't think we're going to learn anything new. I certainly don't think Mueller will. This will just be corroborative evidence for the public, and additional evidence for investigations other than Mueller's more stuff for the trumpettes to pretend hasnít happened.

FTFY.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2019, 08:29 AM   #12
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

CNN has the exhibits Cohen is going to present to back up his testimony.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2019, 08:42 AM   #14
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Watching this from Vietnam is Trump's Vietnam. #CohenTestimony
Bone spurs finally made it.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2019, 08:45 AM   #15
The Big Dog

We got the receipts

what a sniveling rat.
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2019, 08:48 AM   #16
Matthew Best
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post

what a sniveling rat.
Was he one of the "best people" we were promised?
Matthew Best is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2019, 08:52 AM   #17
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

We got the receipts

what a sniveling rat.
When I think of every mob movie where they call someone a rat, the problem is the person is telling the truth.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2019, 08:52 AM   #18
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post

Ouch.
Yes but tell us something we don't know and that didn't make the republicans love him in 2016? I want to hear something new out of this, everyone knew all of that well before he was elected.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2019, 08:56 AM   #19
Thermal
Philosopher

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
Yes but tell us something we don't know and that didn't make the republicans love him in 2016? I want to hear something new out of this, everyone knew all of that well before he was elected.
But seeing his own start to turn on him might be a harbinger of things to come? Usually the fall guy stays quiet, and gets his pardon/reward on the tail end.
Old 27th February 2019, 08:58 AM   #20
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

But seeing his own start to turn on him might be a harbinger of things to come? Usually the fall guy stays quiet, and gets his pardon/reward on the tail end.
Yea but why would any republican legislators care about such old news? They all knew this before he became president so why would it be an issue now?
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2019, 08:59 AM   #21
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

We got the receipts

what a sniveling rat.
Ignores Trump’s culpability in having a criminal in his inner circle? Check.

Posts link to conspiracy-theory-laden Twitter feed? Check.

Stay the course, TBD. Daddy Trump would be proud.

Last edited by johnny karate; 27th February 2019 at 09:24 AM. Reason: typo
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2019, 09:00 AM   #22
Thermal
Philosopher

Yea but why would any republican legislators care about such old news? They all knew this before he became president so why would it be an issue now?
Because the bag man is going public. It gets harder to publicly deny, and like the #MeToo jazz, others may be inspired to produce some proofs
Old 27th February 2019, 09:02 AM   #23
sackett
Philosopher

We got the receipts

what a sniveling rat.

Infantile.

What region of the earth is not filled with our calamities? -- Virgil
sackett is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2019, 09:06 AM   #24
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Because the bag man is going public. It gets harder to publicly deny, and like the #MeToo jazz, others may be inspired to produce some proofs
Why? Trump university was a clear con and his settlement shows that, so being a conman was not new or shocking. Racism was a feature of his campaign speaches so that isn't new or shocking, the self dealing was clear with his "charity" so his embezzling inauguration funds is again exactly what we would expect.

These are all the traits that won him the presidency they are not serious liabilities with him now. Sure when he gets out of office he might be going to prison right away, but nothing about this is going to change any republicans minds. They all knew this and liked him for it so why the change?

As for MeToo, his own bragging about sexual assault didn't hurt him this won't either.
Old 27th February 2019, 09:09 AM   #25
The Big Dog

"Cohen's Testimony is like if you condensed every unsupported accusation hurled at President Trump over the last 3 years and then trained a sewer rat to read them in front of congress."

-Carpe Donktum
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2019, 09:10 AM   #26
Belz...
Fiend God

"Cohen's Testimony is like if you condensed every unsupported accusation hurled at President Trump over the last 3 years and then trained a sewer rat to read them in front of congress."

-Carpe Donktum
Sunk cost, eh TBD?

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2019, 09:13 AM   #27
Thermal
Philosopher

We got the receipts

what a sniveling rat.

-Carpe Donktum
Taking odds on March's Word!
Old 27th February 2019, 09:13 AM   #28
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post
Was he one of the "best people" we were promised?
Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
When I think of every mob movie where they call someone a rat, the problem is the person is telling the truth.
Exactly. The problem for The Big Dog isn't that Cohen is lying. It's that he's telling the truth. That's what really bothers him. In his mind, Cohen should be taking a bullet for Trump. He should be lying for Trump.

Damn that 'rat".
Education, not epiphanies
Intellect, not ignorance.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2019, 09:14 AM   #29
Thermal
Philosopher

Why? Trump university was a clear con and his settlement shows that, so being a conman was not new or shocking. Racism was a feature of his campaign speaches so that isn't new or shocking, the self dealing was clear with his "charity" so his embezzling inauguration funds is again exactly what we would expect.

These are all the traits that won him the presidency they are not serious liabilities with him now. Sure when he gets out of office he might be going to prison right away, but nothing about this is going to change any republicans minds. They all knew this and liked him for it so why the change?

As for MeToo, his own bragging about sexual assault didn't hurt him this won't either.
What are you saying? You would rather Cohen give it a rest?

I say Preach it, Preacher
Old 27th February 2019, 09:17 AM   #30
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Cohen has said "I wouldn't use the word collusion re Trump". I wonder if those who are trying to dismiss everything he says as a lie will dismiss that?
Old 27th February 2019, 09:18 AM   #31
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

-Carpe Donktum
Yeah, isn't it amazing? Trump is EXACTLY, the person we ALL...including you Big Dog knew him to be. Racist, narcissistic, sexist, misogynistic, lying POS CON MAN. DID I SAY lying? I meant LYING.
Education, not epiphanies
Intellect, not ignorance.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2019, 09:20 AM   #32
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Mark Green asked Cohen where he was going to get his income from going forwards (after a tirade about how he wasn't a credible witness, attempting to establish that Cohen is only testifying for the sake of a book deal), to which Cohen replied "I don't imagine I'll have much of an income in prison".
Old 27th February 2019, 09:20 AM   #33
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Ouch.
One of the things I wish Cohen had was a tape of Trump using the N-word.

Granted, it would not cause a legal problem for him. And his base would probably be fine with it. (Probably make him even more popular among republican voters.)

But, it would 1) show Trump obviously lied (when he claimed he never used that word), and 2) highlight Trump's racism to the electorate.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2019, 09:20 AM   #34
Matthew Best
Philosopher

Carpe Donktum????
Matthew Best is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2019, 09:21 AM   #35
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Live feed: https://twitter.com/i/events/1100753688124055553
Old 27th February 2019, 09:22 AM   #36
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Bloomberg are not just posting live what's being discussed, but also relevant tweets
Old 27th February 2019, 09:23 AM   #37
Thermal
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
One of the things I wish Cohen had was a tape of Trump using the N-word.

Granted, it would not cause a legal problem for him. And his base would probably be fine with it. (Probably make him even more popular among republican voters.)

But, it would 1) show Trump obviously lied (when he claimed he never used that word), and 2) highlight Trump's racism to the electorate.
My only concern is Cohen only giving up tabloid fodder. He is still hemming and hawing about collusion. Maybe that's the strategy?
Old 27th February 2019, 09:26 AM   #38
Armitage72
Illuminator

A Republican Congressman threatened Cohen yesterday afternoon, claiming that his testimony would lead to the revelation of infidelity, while offering no proof.

Quote:
Less than 24 hours before former Trump fixer Michael Cohen is scheduled to appear in an open hearing to discuss his relationship with the President of the United States and shed light on his involvement in a hush money scheme involving two women alleging they had affairs with the billionaire businessman, Florida Republican Rep. Matt Gaetz directly threatened Cohen via Twitter.
"Hey @MichaelCohen212," Gaetz tweeted on Tuesday afternoon. "Do your wife & father-in-law know about your girlfriends? Maybe tonight would be a good time for that chat. I wonder if she'll remain faithful when you're in prison. She's about to learn a lot..."
Gaetz offered zero proof for his claims of infidelity by Cohen. Speaking to reporters outside his office Tuesday evening, Gaetz defended his tweet, adding that it wasn't a threat. He told reporters his tweet wasn't witness-tampering, but instead was "witness-testing." Gaetz said he's trying to get into Wednesday's hearing to ask questions (he's not on the House Oversight Committee), and he added that he didn't speak with Trump about his allegations.
In an interview with CBS News after the tweet, Gaetz was pressed for evidence of the claim he hinted at on his Twitter feed and he replied: "As the President loves to say, 'We'll see.' "
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2019, 09:26 AM   #39
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

My only concern is Cohen only giving up tabloid fodder. He is still hemming and hawing about collusion. Maybe that's the strategy?
Or maybe he's limited about what he can talk about when it comes to collusion, because it might interfere with the Mueller investigation.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2019, 09:28 AM   #40
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

He's getting angry. This is great fun.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics