ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Congressional hearings , donald trump , Michael Cohen , Trump controversies

Old 27th February 2019, 10:54 PM   #361
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
I just watched a rerum of AOC's questioning.

Wow. She manages to get right into things doesn't she. And....she's young, but she's no lightweight.

That's why the Dems fast-tracked her into the oversight committee.

That why the OWM of GOP should be afraid.... very afraid.
Old 27th February 2019, 10:55 PM   #362
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Wrong! That was not today. Your comprehension of my question is poor. Read it again.

Hahaha! That was soooo last year!
Old 27th February 2019, 11:12 PM   #363
Polaris
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
That's why the Dems fast-tracked her into the oversight committee.

That why the OWM of GOP should be afraid.... very afraid.
Oh they already are. That's why they already set to pounce on the slightest flaw - even if they have to make it up out of whole cloth.
"There's vastly more truth to be found in rocks than in holy books. Rocks are far superior, in fact, because you can DEMONSTRATE the truth found in rocks. Plus, they're pretty. Holy books are just heavy." - Dinwar

"Let your ears hear this beautiful song that's hiding underneath the sound," Ed Kowalczyk.
Polaris is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2019, 11:14 PM   #364
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
Excellent. So, acting as both a personal and business agent of Trump, Cohen lied about whether Trump was seeking a real estate deal with Moscow while the GOP nominee and beyond. Exactly as we have been saying.

You can't call Cohen a monster while leaving out the fact that he was being paid to commit monstrosities on behalf of Trump.

Last edited by Checkmite; 27th February 2019 at 11:17 PM.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2019, 11:38 PM   #365
Cabbage
Muse

Hey whats up in this thread?

-spittle soaked attacks

-defending a literal ******* monster

-"skeptics"

lolz
Only because you're here, chief.
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2019, 11:44 PM   #366
Toontown
Philosopher

Originally Posted by I Am The Scum View Post
Gaetz has apologized for intimidating a witness.
Quote:
I’ve personally apologized to @MichaelCohen212 4 referencing his private family in the public square. Regardless of disagreements, family members should be off-limits from attacks from representatives, senators & presidents, including myself. Let’s leave the Cohen family alone.
Too late. He already didn't leave the Cohen family alone. He went after them, then forced Cohen to endure his bogus "apology", thereby adding insult to injury.

Interesting tactic. Go after the family, then offer up a slobbering apology for going after the family. The apology part could be construed as sincere, because Trumpers are known for their lack of self-control. That's why they keep ending up in prison.
Old 28th February 2019, 12:05 AM   #367
Stacyhs
Philosopher

What I witnessed today was the GOP circling the wagons around El Jefe...er El Presidente...at any cost. Including embarrassing themselves. Not one GOP rep asked Cohan about Trump's alleged criminal actions because they were too busy trying to discredit Cohan by harping on the same thing: he lied to Congress. But they conveniently ignored that they were supporting a president infamous for lying while attacking Cohen for lying. Hypocrites. The worst were Jordan and Meadows. They made absolute fools of themselves.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th February 2019, 12:20 AM   #368
Lothian
should be banned

Cohen has told conflicting stories. When he was paid by Trump he said one thing. Free of that relationship he is saying the opposite. The question is not whether he lied rather which version of events is the lie.
He has admitted that the version told when employed by Trump was lies. The US legal system has found the version told when employed by Trump was lies. The version Told now seems fully in character with what we know about Trump. The story he told when Trump paid him lacked credibility.

Moscow have their work cut out on this one, but there is no accounting for the stupidity of some Americans.
Lothian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th February 2019, 12:29 AM   #369
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Lothian View Post
Cohen has told conflicting stories. When he was paid by Trump he said one thing. Free of that relationship he is saying the opposite. The question is not whether he lied rather which version of events is the lie.
He has admitted that the version told when employed by Trump was lies. The US legal system has found the version told when employed by Trump was lies. The version Told now seems fully in character with what we know about Trump. The story he told when Trump paid him lacked credibility.

Moscow have their work cut out on this one, but there is no accounting for the stupidity of some Americans.
I'm pretty sure the highlighted sentence isn't that hard to figure out.
Old 28th February 2019, 12:37 AM   #370
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by I Am The Scum View Post
Gaetz has apologized for intimidating a witness.
He must have got that legal advice Popehat advised him to get, and now he's pumping those legs of his and back pedalling just fast as he can.

Note that during the Cohen hearing today, Congresswoman Kathleen Rice (D) New York, a former federal prosecutor, has asked the House Ethics Committee to investigate a statement Republican Rep. Matt Gaetz made about Michael Cohen, saying that she believes the GOP lawmaker's comments could rise to the level of witness tampering and intimidation.
Old 28th February 2019, 01:00 AM   #371
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Nm

Last edited by Sideroxylon; 28th February 2019 at 01:01 AM.
Sideroxylon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th February 2019, 01:14 AM   #372
Lothian
should be banned

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
I'm pretty sure the highlighted sentence isn't that hard to figure out.
indeed, but some seem to think that the discussion should stop at 'Cohen in a liar.' and not go on to misdemeanors of Trump.
Lothian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th February 2019, 01:26 AM   #373
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Lothian View Post
snip

You'll get no argument there. We've witnessed that in this very thread.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th February 2019, 01:45 AM   #374
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Possible Collaterial Damage:
Roger Stone tweeting a angry response to what Cohen had to say about him in the testimony.
This might be a violation of the gag rule imposed on Stone.
Oh that's fun.

Story here
Old 28th February 2019, 01:48 AM   #375
Cain
Straussian

You mean other than the ones I already posted?

Michael Cohen. Hero of the left
Your tune has changed.

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
Cohen could be in jail and Trump facing impeachment...
What an unusual comment... Your speculation about Cohen going to jail (not gonna happen, Trump will pardon)...
There's another blast from the past here: http://www.internationalskeptics.com...n#post12535130

Last edited by Cain; 28th February 2019 at 01:49 AM.
Cain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th February 2019, 01:54 AM   #376
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
Consistency is for libtard losers!
Old 28th February 2019, 02:13 AM   #377
Parsman
Muse

See that is the difference between the adults on the progressive side of politics and right wingers. Unlike the right wing with heroes like Olly North, Richard Nixon, Donald Trump et al, we can live in evidence based reality without any heroes at all

When you're dead you don't know that you're dead, all the pain is felt by others....................the same thing happens when you're stupid.
Parsman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th February 2019, 02:30 AM   #378
Tolls
Illuminator

Originally Posted by timhau View Post
Consistency is for libtard losers!
We have always been at war with Eastasia.
Tolls is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th February 2019, 02:38 AM   #379
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

We have always thought Cohen is a lying rat.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th February 2019, 02:44 AM   #380
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

https://twitter.com/rgoodlaw/status/1100857540492042241

Quote:
PSA on #CohenTestimony

Special Counsel to court: “The information he has provided has been credible and consistent with other evidence obtained in the SCO’s ongoing investigation.”

On campaign law, tax crimes: cooperating witnesses include Weisselberg, Pecker, Howard, AMI, etc.
Worth noting again: if Cohen's Congressional testimony contradicts his testimony to Mueller - or if it reveals something new that he should have disclosed to Mueller or SDNY - then he is in big legal trouble and will spend a lot more than three years in prison.
Old 28th February 2019, 02:46 AM   #381
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

If proof were needed that those around Trump aren't the brightest, take the following tweet: https://twitter.com/vermontgmg/statu...87323640397824

Quote:
Incredible to see all the hubris drained from Cohen. I've been personally screamed at by Cohen on the phone before and know how much bravado he once had. This is a man with nothing left, with no reason to lie or obfuscate at all. Humbling, in its way.
Know who retweeted that? Donald Trump Jr.
Old 28th February 2019, 02:50 AM   #382
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

https://twitter.com/Popehat/status/1100793482157817856

Quote:
Cross-examination protip: the purpose of cross-examination is not to lead the bad witness to repeat the bad things about your client and possibly say more bad things.

Witness: I killed six people for the defendant.
GOP Defense Lawyer: Isn't it true you killed EIGHT people for the defendant?
Witness: Oh, right. Sorry.
GOP Defense Lawyer: [nods smugly and crosses his arms]
Prosecutor: [hums a happy little tune]

GOP Defense Lawyer: Sir, you have tried to portray my client as reckless. But, in fact, isn't he very deliberate?
Witness: Yes?
GOPDL: In fact wouldn't you say he always acts knowingly and intentionally, not recklessly?
Witness: Also willfully.
GOPDL: ALSO. WILLFULLY.

GOP Defense Lawyer: Sir, you claim the President is a RACIST. But isn't it true that this person standing behind me is BLACK?

GOP Defense Lawyer: Your Honor, I offer my Livejournal posts about this TRAVESTY as evidence.
Judge: That's . . . that's not a thing.

GOP Defense Lawyer: Your Honor I ask the Court to take judicial notice that this witness HAS A DEFENSE LAWYER and that's SUSPICIOUS.
Judge: Are you drunk right now

It is 100% possible for a cross-examination to help rehabilitate a sleazy witness. As you can see.

I'm going to need to hit the ol' thesaurus for alternatives to "flailed ineffectually" for my column.

GOP Defense Lawyer: Isn't it true, sir, that by testifying about my client's crimes, you're violating a lawyer's duty of loyalty and confidentiality?
Witness: I guess?
GOP Defense Lawyer: AH-HAH!
Old 28th February 2019, 02:52 AM   #383
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

https://twitter.com/chrislhayes/stat...80657624662017

Quote:
What Cohen is recounting now about Trump lying to him in private as a way of telling him to lie, is *identical* to the account McCabe gives of meeting Trump after the Comey firing.
So, helpful in establishing a pattern of behaviour.
Old 28th February 2019, 02:54 AM   #384
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

https://twitter.com/zachdcarter/stat...44832812085248

Quote:
The Republicans today are asking you to believe that Trump's top confidants were career criminals who conspired to do terrible things that Trump himself knew absolutely nothing about, even as he profited from them, for years.
Old 28th February 2019, 02:55 AM   #385
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

https://twitter.com/jonswaine/status...16135434452994

Quote:
Cohen just said the President of the United States is under investigation by federal prosecutors for as-yet undisclosed illegal acts. Rep. Michael Cloud (R-Tx.) followed up by asking Cohen if he would donate future book royalties to charity.
Old 28th February 2019, 02:56 AM   #386
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

yeah, your boy is going to prison. ******* sleazy ****

he is a liar and a scumbag
Don't you mean trump's boy?
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th February 2019, 02:59 AM   #387
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Cain View Post
Your tune has changed.

There's another blast from the past here: http://www.internationalskeptics.com...n#post12535130
Just like his mentor... Lindsay "which way is the wind blowing today" Graham.
Old 28th February 2019, 03:01 AM   #388
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

https://twitter.com/stevemorris__/st...81913756176386

Quote:
Here's Mark Meadows, who just sidetracked the entire House Oversight Committee to assure him he's not racist, saying that "2012 is the time we are going to send Mr. Obama home to Kenya or wherever it is"
Video embedded in tweet.
Old 28th February 2019, 03:08 AM   #389
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Popehat article on why everybody involved yesterday made errors, and why it's all bad news for Trump
Old 28th February 2019, 03:12 AM   #390
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

https://twitter.com/SethAbramson/sta...91142487085056

Quote:
Cohen just confirmed that the Trump Tower Moscow deal extended *at least* into late July 2016 (previously, the news said the negotiations ended in June 2016). So Trump was secretly negotiating with the Kremlin a *nine-figure deal* (!) when he said "Russia, if you're listening..."
https://twitter.com/SethAbramson/sta...02627875598337

Quote:
Michael Cohen says he briefed Trump Jr. and Ivanka Trump on the Trump Tower Moscow project *ten times*...

...all *during the presidential campaign*.
https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/sta...91451301171200

Quote:
DWS: Is it possible the whole Trump family is conflicted or compromised with a foreign adversary in the months before the election?

Michael Cohen: Yes.
This is the most explicitly I've seen Ivanka implicated, although anybody paying attention over the last couple of years would have already surmised that she's in it all up to her eyeballs.
Old 28th February 2019, 03:40 AM   #391
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

I didn't get to watch the rest of the testimony yesterday, but I've watched a few highlights on YouTube. If I'm reading the exchange with Oscasio-Cortez right, she's not only established reasons to subpoena various people in Trump's orbit, but also established reasons to subpoena Trump's tax returns.
Old 28th February 2019, 03:44 AM   #392
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
Actually, there are some excellent one-liners and replies to Popehat there
"It’s like they all attended the Rudy Giuliani school of law"

"Everyone has different techniques. The GOP ones on the HGO Committee got theirs from the Book of Job"

"Jim Jordan is not ready for prime time against a NYC fixer. He's just not."

"This feels like when I would try to out lawyer my dad. But I was eight and he was an actual lawyer."

"Jordan is what happens when you don't insist that athletes get a real education."
For those who missed the earlier parts, GOP members kept ceding their leftover time to Congressman Jim Jordan, and he kept using it to make a complete arse of himself. This was an open invitation for Cohen to then hand it to him on a plate, and Cohen duly obliged - several times.
Old 28th February 2019, 03:54 AM   #393
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post

"Today Republicans had the opportunity to learn <snip> that theatrical committee hearing tactics are ineffective against a witness trained to withstand cross-examination. Will the president of the United States ever learn that a federal criminal investigation is not a reality show?"
Old 28th February 2019, 04:20 AM   #394
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
False Dichotomy, no one lies 100% of the time,
I don't know, I think if trump says something with any kind of factual basis it is completely by accident.
ponderingturtle is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th February 2019, 04:27 AM   #395
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

yeah, your boy is going to prison. ******* sleazy ****

he is a liar and a scumbag
You're right, he is. That was obvious during his opening remarks. And Trump chose him as his attorney. Only a sleazy gutter rat would have a need for the services of someone like Cohen.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th February 2019, 04:32 AM   #396
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

One thing Cohen just said rings absolutely true.

'Mr Trump would never hit Melania, never. [..]'
I think if he hit her she'd be more than capable of taking him apart. I've no doubt that she is a damn sight tougher than him mentally and physically.

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th February 2019, 05:33 AM   #397
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

So the logic behind the attacks of Cohen is that as the justice department framed him for committing crimes at the behest of Individual One(who later became president) and lying under oath about it while he was totally innocent of all those charges but the deep state convinced him to now lie about things under oath for the first time?

Why aren't they worried and all about the miscarriage of justice in Cohen's plea deal?
ponderingturtle is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th February 2019, 05:56 AM   #398
Toontown
Philosopher

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
So the logic behind the attacks of Cohen is that as the justice department framed him for committing crimes at the behest of Individual One(who later became president) and lying under oath about it while he was totally innocent of all those charges but the deep state convinced him to now lie about things under oath for the first time?

Why aren't they worried and all about the miscarriage of justice in Cohen's plea deal?
You're giving "them" too much credit. Clearly, "they" don't think that deeply.
Old 28th February 2019, 06:11 AM   #399
dann
Philosopher

From my personal experience, its one of the key aspects of narcissistic behaviour that they NEVER use physical violence to control people;

You may be right about your personal experience, but in general it doesn't seem to be the case: The Role of Narcissism in Aggression and Violence: A Systematic Review (SAGE Journals, 2016)
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th February 2019, 06:32 AM   #400
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

The past three years have often felt like a vivid dream nightmare. But now that I know there are "literal monsters" walking about, the stakes got a whole lot higher. I'm going to to enlist some superheros, literally possessing super-human powers. I'll get to that right after attending services for the dear, departed word literally.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics