ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Congressional hearings , donald trump , Michael Cohen , Trump controversies

Old 27th February 2019, 12:39 PM   #161
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
I just hope that Congress treads carefully. Congress compelled Oliver North to testify and it resulted in him escaping criminal liability for Iran Contra on the grounds that he was forced to testify against himself. His convictions were overturned on appeal.

We need to balance priorities here, which is tough when we are totally in the dark in regards to the Mueller probe.
Cohen has already pleaded guilty so I don't see how that would apply.
Old 27th February 2019, 12:43 PM   #162
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Roy of Texas is doing a pro-Trump rally type speech. Not a single question asked. Nice grandstanding job.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2019, 12:44 PM   #163
Steve
Illuminator

If Cohen isn't lying, his claims should be investigated and verified.

If Cohen is lying, his claims should be investigated and Cohen should be charged.

Either way, the only proper response is to investigate these claims. Now that the D's control the House, it will happen.
The claims have already been investigated, by Mueller.
Old 27th February 2019, 12:46 PM   #164
Steve
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Roy of Texas is doing a pro-Trump rally type speech. Not a single question asked. Nice grandstanding job.
Gotta keep your name out there by whatever means are available!
Old 27th February 2019, 12:54 PM   #165
SuburbanTurkey
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Mueller is doing a fine job collecting the scalps of Trump's lackeys, but there's a good chance that he will decide indicting the sitting president is not proper and dump the whole problem on the lap of Congress to deal with.

The House needs to be doing its own investigation. Corruption of the presidency is first and foremost a political problem and impeachment is the proper solution. The D's are getting the ball moving now that they are in charge.
Old 27th February 2019, 12:58 PM   #166
The Big Dog
Suspended

"When you filed a false tax return in 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, and 2016 was all that out of blind loyalty to the President?"

"No"
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2019, 01:00 PM   #167
WilliamSeger
Illuminator

Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
"Getting sick watching these hearings. I know Michael Cohen personally for many years and he told me several times that he was very angry and upset that he didn't get a post in the WH and that he "would do what he has to do now to protect his family ""

-B. Dietl.

say, Cohen just cannot stop lying to Congress now can he.

Trump Jr. is openly mocking the rat about it on twitter

banner day Resistance!
Trump Jr. just can't stop lying on Twitter now can he. Daddy must be very proud, but you fail to appreciate the humor value of defending Trump by attacking Cohen's credibility.

But yeah, it's a good day for the Resistance. Virtually none of the serious stuff Cohen talked about depends at all on his credibility -- there seems to be plenty of other evidence -- and the Repubs came off looking like next level hypocrites trying to shield their grifter cult leader.
Old 27th February 2019, 01:01 PM   #168
Belz...
Fiend God

"When you filed a false tax return in 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, and 2016 was all that out of blind loyalty to the President?"

"No"
I'm looking for the relevance of your post, but I can't find it.

It wouldn't be that you're trying to discredit his statements based on the irrelevant fact that he is guilty of tax fraud?

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2019, 01:03 PM   #169
WilliamSeger
Illuminator

Originally Posted by WilliamSeger View Post
Trump Jr. just can't stop lying on Twitter now can he. Daddy must be very proud, but you fail to appreciate the humor value of defending Trump by attacking Cohen's credibility.

But yeah, it's a good day for the Resistance. Virtually none of the serious stuff Cohen talked about depends at all on his credibility -- there seems to be plenty of other evidence -- and the Repubs came off looking like next level hypocrites trying to shield their grifter cult leader.
ETA: Don't you think the Repubs were a little hard on Cohen for mere "process crimes?"
Old 27th February 2019, 01:06 PM   #170
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

That's correct - and lying during his Congressional testimony would constitute a violation of Cohen's plea deal. Highly unlikely he would do so.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2019, 01:07 PM   #171
The Big Dog
Suspended

Originally Posted by WilliamSeger View Post

weird how you missed the part where a long time acquaintance called out Cohen for lying about not wanting to have a job at the white house.

protip; your sarcasm meter is broken. the Dems star witness is a fiasco who has managed to destroy the collusion claims, the campaign funding claim, the Steele report and the email claims, while managing to humiliate himself and the dem grifters like Schiff who colluded with him.

the Resistance is broken.
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2019, 01:10 PM   #172
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
A republican politician was condemned by his brothers and sisters.

A poster here falsely identified that it was the politician's children. (A claim that they later corrected.)

Now, a reasonable/rational person would look at the circumstances, and say "Ok, the false identification was unfortunate, but we should be concerned about a politician who's got so many failings that his very own siblings are condemning him"

Instead, you seem to be more hung up on the unfortunate false identification part rather than the main point: republican politician is such a scumbag that even his siblings don't like him. Why is that?
It's his m.o. Always have an out, and concentrate on that.
Old 27th February 2019, 01:11 PM   #173
Cabbage
Muse

the Dems star witness is a fiasco who has managed to destroy the collusion claims, the campaign funding claim, the Steele report and the email claims, while managing to humiliate himself and the dem grifters like Schiff who colluded with him.

the Resistance is broken.
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2019, 01:12 PM   #174
jeremyp
Muse

On the other hand, Cohen just denied under oath having ever been in Prague, and he also said he never met with Russians on his 2016 trip elsewhere in Europe.

That little tidbit just nuked the Steele report grift from orbit.

Wow, what a terrible day for resistance grifters.
Every other one of your posts on this thread is about how Cohen is a liar.

Maybe you should look up the meaning of the phrase “confirmation bias”.
jeremyp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2019, 01:13 PM   #175
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Jeezus, I think Congressman Meadows has made a huge miscalculation parading that young black woman in front of Congress, and using her to claim that Trump can't be a a racist because she works for him. That is just the GOP version of "I'm not a racist. Some of my best friends are black"
Old 27th February 2019, 01:14 PM   #176
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Jeezus, I think Congressman Meadows has made a huge miscalculation parading that young black woman in front of Congress, and using her to claim that Trump can't be a a racist because she works for him. That is just the GOP version of "I'm not a racist. Some of my best friends are black"
Actually, it's the exact same version.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2019, 01:17 PM   #177
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Originally Posted by Cabbage View Post
Yup.

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2019, 01:20 PM   #178
WilliamSeger
Illuminator

But Cohen says Trump is a racist and Cohen is a liar, therefore Trump is not a racist.
Old 27th February 2019, 01:22 PM   #179
The Big Dog
Suspended

Originally Posted by jeremyp View Post
Every other one of your posts on this thread is about how Cohen is a liar.

Maybe you should look up the meaning of the phrase “confirmation bias”.
Wait, wait, wait. Let me get this straight because i absolutely 100% do NOT want to misinterpret or misrepresent your position.

Is Cohen a liar:

Yes___

No____

I strive for clarity. Looking forward to your honest answer.
Old 27th February 2019, 01:29 PM   #180
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Wait, wait, wait. Let me get this straight because i absolutely 100% do NOT want to misinterpret or misrepresent your position.

Is Cohen a liar:

Yes___

No____

Thank goodness human beings only have binary attributes and are always entirely self-consistent. Otherwise, that question would be grossly oversimplified to the point of being laughable.
Old 27th February 2019, 01:33 PM   #181
Orphia Nay
Penguilicious Spodmaster.
Tagger

Location: Ponylandistan Presidential Palace (above the Spods' stables).
Republicans just want to dismiss it all as lies. It's amazing they won't acknowledge any evidence.

Cohen:

https://apnews.com/fea2ffe5c18647709de5f7aa5071ae72

— A copy of a check Mr. Trump wrote from his personal bank account – after he became president — to reimburse me for the hush money payments I made to cover up his affair with an adult film star and prevent damage to his campaign;

— Copies of financial statements for 2011 – 2013 that he gave to such institutions as Deutsche Bank;

— A copy of an article with Mr. Trump’s handwriting on it that reported on the auction of a portrait of himself – he arranged for the bidder ahead of time and then reimbursed the bidder from the account of his non-profit charitable foundation, with the picture now hanging in one of his country clubs; and

— Copies of letters I wrote at Mr. Trump’s direction that threatened his high school, colleges, and the College Board not to release his grades or SAT scores.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 27th February 2019, 01:33 PM   #182
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

Is Cohen a liar:

Yes___

No____

Just believe whatever you want to believe.
A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2019, 01:33 PM   #183
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
I hate to tell you this, but this has being going on forever. Yeah, Roy is pure grandstanding,but it something that a lot of congressmen do..in both parties.
IMHO he would better spend his time on trying to discredit Cohen as a witness but congresspeople will grandstand to look good in from of the home folks.

Robert Heinlein.

Last edited by dudalb; 27th February 2019 at 01:38 PM.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2019, 01:34 PM   #184
Steve
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
Thank goodness human beings only have binary attributes and are always entirely self-consistent. Otherwise, that question would be grossly oversimplified to the point of being laughable.
"simple" is all some people can understand. Nuances are beyond their comprehension. There is one such in the White House, and others are posting here.
Old 27th February 2019, 01:34 PM   #185
The Big Dog
Suspended

Say, thanks for your really important thoughts, that manage to both ignore the post to which I was replying AND totally evade the question.

cool cool.

I take it you are unfamiliar with Cohen's plea deal?

cool cool.

I will put you down for ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ .
Old 27th February 2019, 01:34 PM   #186
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

In the words of Bart Simpson:

"Way Too Obvious, Dude".

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2019, 01:36 PM   #187
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

If Cohen isn't lying, his claims should be investigated and verified.

If Cohen is lying, his claims should be investigated and Cohen should be charged.

Either way, the only proper response is to investigate these claims. Now that the D's control the House, it will happen.
What makes you think his claims haven't ALREADY been investigated? I'd bet money he has told the SCO, the SDNY and NYAG all of this.

And while I think it's possible Cohen is lying before Congress today, I don't think it is likely. And you just nailed the reason. Lying to Congress at this point could easily add more prison time. And trust me, Cohen of all people knows this.
Old 27th February 2019, 01:39 PM   #188
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Gotta keep your name out there by whatever means are available!
I don';t want to be accused of whataboutsims, but most congresspeople play that game. And have played it since the first congress met in 1789.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 27th February 2019, 01:40 PM   #189
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Gaetz is being investigated by the Florida Bar.

<laughing dogs abound>
Old 27th February 2019, 01:40 PM   #190
The Big Dog
Suspended

"simple" is all some people can understand. Nuances are beyond their comprehension. There is one such in the White House, and others are posting here.
Thanks, I really tried to make it simple.

I mean can you imagine writing this:

"Every other one of your posts on this thread is about how Cohen is a liar. Maybe you should look up the meaning of the phrase “confirmation bias”."

Where Cohen actually pled guilty to lying to Congress?

I about fell off my chair when I read that!

And then the nonsense about binary and blah blah blah.

Hoo boy, what a hoot!
Old 27th February 2019, 01:41 PM   #191
SuburbanTurkey
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
What makes you think his claims haven't ALREADY been investigated? I'd bet money he has told the SCO, the SDNY and NYAG all of this.

And while I think it's possible Cohen is lying before Congress today, I don't think it is likely. And you just nailed the reason. Lying to Congress at this point could easily add more prison time. And trust me, Cohen of all people knows this.
Yes, but all this investigation behind closed doors let these crooks claim innocence. Cohen has made accusations of lawbreaking, under oath, in a public forum. This calls the question for a public inquiry by Congress.
Old 27th February 2019, 01:45 PM   #192
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
Gaetz is being investigated by the Florida Bar.

<laughing dogs abound>
Gee you mean the same congressman who invited a Holocaust Denier to the last SOTU address?

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/...g-troll-380577

"Gee I didn't know who he was"....

He is lying or he is stupid.Take your pick.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 27th February 2019, 01:47 PM   #193
Loss Leader
I would save the receptionist.

Is Cohen a liar:

Yes___

No____

In 1976, I stole a cookie and blamed it on my sister. I lied on that occasion. Since then, I admitted I stole the cookie, was punished, and went to law school.

Am I a liar:

Yes____

No_____

It's the same question you asked. But I bet in any normal circumstance you're able to see shades of grey. People who have lied do still possess the ability to tell the truth. And when their previous story was contradicted by evidence but their current story is accompanied by physical evidence, the chance that they're now being truthful increases even more.

But you know all of this. You've told lies and, yet, I bet you think of yourself as an honest person. Pretending there's some black and white classification of liar/non-liar is itself just another form of a lie.

L. Leader
Loss Leader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2019, 01:48 PM   #194
Steve
Illuminator

Thanks, I really tried to make it simple.

I mean can you imagine writing this:

"Every other one of your posts on this thread is about how Cohen is a liar. Maybe you should look up the meaning of the phrase “confirmation bias”."

Where Cohen actually pled guilty to lying to Congress?

I about fell off my chair when I read that!

And then the nonsense about binary and blah blah blah.

Hoo boy, what a hoot!
As I posted above:

Could you please re-assemble this group of words into a statement that makes some sort of sense?
Old 27th February 2019, 01:53 PM   #195
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Drewbot View Post
For the first time ever, a person convicted of lying to Congress, is sitting there lying to congress.
This is the Michael Cohen thread not Elliott Abrams.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2019, 01:55 PM   #196
The Big Dog
Suspended

Originally Posted by Loss Leader View Post
In 1976, I stole a cookie and blamed it on my sister. I lied on that occasion. Since then, I admitted I stole the cookie, was punished, and went to law school.

Am I a liar:

Yes____

No_____

It's the same question you asked. But I bet in any normal circumstance you're able to see shades of grey. People who have lied do still possess the ability to tell the truth. And when their previous story was contradicted by evidence but their current story is accompanied by physical evidence, the chance that they're now being truthful increases even more.

But you know all of this. You've told lies and, yet, I bet you think of yourself as an honest person. Pretending there's some black and white classification of liar/non-liar is itself just another form of a lie.
It is fun to see how people torch themselves into pretzels to

1. ignore the actual nonsense I was replying to and
2. evade the question.

Folks, Cohen pled guilty to lying to Congress and is testifying before Congress today. It is OK, you can actually go ahead and say with firm conviction:

MICHAEL COHEN IS A LIAR.

It is fine, this is not a shades of grey thing or nuance.

Go ahead you can say it:

MICHAEL COHEN IS A LIAR.
Old 27th February 2019, 01:56 PM   #197
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Tero View Post
If Cohen writes a book and it gets out soon, I will buy my first Trump book. But if we are done with Trump, no books for me after that.
So far all the books that have come out on Trump have been about stuff that was cycled through the news and become old news before the books were published.
Old 27th February 2019, 01:59 PM   #198
crescent
Master Poster

Go ahead you can say it:

MICHAEL COHEN IS A LIAR.
I agree. He is a liar.

So are you. So am I. Every human on earth lies from time to time. It is human nature. We are all liars, all sinners. That bit of Catholic upbringing still sticks with me all these years later.

Did he lie today? That's the relevant question.
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2019, 01:59 PM   #199
Armitage72
Master Poster

We saw the same thing in the Mueller threads. He did something unpleasant during the Bush II administration. If you condemned him then, you can't support him now. If you support him now, you must have supported him then. You can only have one opinion of someone, ever.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2019, 02:05 PM   #200
The Big Dog
Suspended

Originally Posted by crescent View Post
I agree. He is a liar.

So are you. So am I. Every human on earth lies from time to time. It is human nature. We are all liars, all sinners. That bit of Catholic upbringing still sticks with me all these years later.

Did he lie today? That's the relevant question.
relevant? uh oh, now someone is going to come in here and declare that you are guilty of confoirmation bias, and others are going to pollute the thread with navel gazing

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics