ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Congressional hearings , donald trump , Michael Cohen , Trump controversies

Old 27th February 2019, 02:07 PM   #201
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Mara Liasson NPR just now: The GOP Congressmen are playing to Trump not necessarily to their base. "Look at me, see how loyal I am."

Trump worship is so bizarre. I think Pence may very well be that enamored with Trump rather than faking it.
Old 27th February 2019, 02:07 PM   #202
Tero
Graduate Poster

Is there some prize we could nominate Cohen for?
Maybe this?
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cong...nal_Gold_Medal
Tero is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2019, 02:07 PM   #203
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
Wait, wait, wait. Let me get this straight because i absolutely 100% do NOT want to misinterpret or misrepresent your position.

Is Cohen a liar:

Yes___

No____

I strive for clarity. Looking forward to your honest answer.
If someone can substantiate their claims now, who cares if they are at other times liars?

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2019, 02:08 PM   #204
WilliamSeger
Illuminator

It is fun to see how people torch themselves into pretzels to

1. ignore the actual nonsense I was replying to and
2. evade the question.

Folks, Cohen pled guilty to lying to Congress and is testifying before Congress today. It is OK, you can actually go ahead and say with firm conviction:

MICHAEL COHEN IS A LIAR.

It is fine, this is not a shades of grey thing or nuance.

Go ahead you can say it:

MICHAEL COHEN IS A LIAR.
Yeah, for some odd reason, the biggest liar in US political history surrounded himself with liars. Fortunately for them, that's just a process crime.
Old 27th February 2019, 02:08 PM   #205
crescent
Master Poster

relevant? uh oh, now someone is going to come in here and declare that you are guilty of confoirmation bias, and others are going to pollute the thread with navel gazing
Have you ever lied?

If so, you are a liar.

And, yes, you have told lies, because you are human like the rest of us.

Did Cohen tell lies today?
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2019, 02:10 PM   #206
The Big Dog
Suspended

Originally Posted by Tero View Post
Is there some prize we could nominate Cohen for?
Maybe this?
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cong...nal_Gold_Medal
You think Congress ought to give a medal to someone who admitted lying* to Congress and is going down the river for it in a couple of months. Fascinating.

*and by lying I am taking into account the length and breathe of human existence where humans are infinite bits of grey on a sliding scale from being to nothingness.... namaste.
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2019, 02:14 PM   #207
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

It is fun to see how people torch themselves into pretzels to

1. ignore the actual nonsense I was replying to and
2. evade the question.

Folks, Cohen pled guilty to lying to Congress and is testifying before Congress today. It is OK, you can actually go ahead and say with firm conviction:

MICHAEL COHEN IS A LIAR. AND TRUMP IS A LIAR.

It is fine, this is not a shades of grey thing or nuance.

Go ahead you can say it:

MICHAEL COHEN IS A LIAR. AND TRUMP IS A LIAR.
AND TRUMP IS A LIAR.

Yes Cohen has lied. Everyone knows that. We also KNOW that he has lied for the President and at his direction. But we also know that Trump is a liar. Actually a much bigger liar. In fact, Trump cannot EVER be trusted to be telling the truth. He has demonstrated almost on a daily basis that nothing ABSOLUTELY NOTHING is too trivial or too important that Trump won't lie about.

So to suggest that Cohen is lying today and that we should dismiss his words because he contradicts Trump is truly pathetic.
Old 27th February 2019, 02:14 PM   #208
The Big Dog
Suspended

Originally Posted by crescent View Post
If so, you are a liar.

Did Cohen tell lies today?
CONFIRMATION BIAS!

All these posts about humans having lied at some point are quite hilarious, given that we are talking about a guy that admitted lying to Congress and is now testifying before congress

SENSATIONAL!

Cohen lied openly and repeatedly today.
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2019, 02:16 PM   #209
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
AND TRUMP IS A LIAR.

Yes Cohen has lied. Everyone knows that. We also KNOW that he has lied for the President and at his direction. But we also know that Trump is a liar. Actually a much bigger liar. In fact, Trump cannot EVER be trusted to be telling the truth. He has demonstrated almost on a daily basis that nothing ABSOLUTELY NOTHING is too trivial or too important that Trump won't lie about.

So to suggest that Cohen is lying today and that we should dismiss his words because he contradicts Trump is truly pathetic.
HOW DARE YOU CRITICISE BIG BROTHER YOU DOUBLEPLUS UNGOOD CRIMETHINKER!

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2019, 02:16 PM   #210
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

MICHAEL COHEN IS A LIAR.
Important note: the lie he was found guilty of telling was that Trump did nothing wrong.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2019, 02:17 PM   #211
WilliamSeger
Illuminator

relevant? uh oh, now someone is going to come in here and declare that you are guilty of confoirmation bias, and others are going to pollute the thread with navel gazing
Try to focus: What did he lie about today?

You've reposted one claim that he was angry about not getting a White House job, but there is no evidence that's true -- he remained 100% loyal to Trump until he got charged -- and it isn't relevant anyway.

Then you reposted Assange's claim that he's never spoken to Roger Stone. But we already know Stone was actually in contact with an intermediary, and we know it wouldn't be unusual for Stone to lie about talking directly to Assange. So, even if Assange is telling the truth, that wouldn't disprove what Cohen said about what he heard Stone say on the speakerphone.

Did he lie about those checks and financial records? It looks like those point to a crime, one way or another.
Old 27th February 2019, 02:17 PM   #212
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

You know guys, best way to deal with a troll is not to deal at all.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2019, 02:30 PM   #213
The Big Dog
Suspended

No one has really answered the question, lots of dodges, including a magnificent one that calls me a troll for pointing out a convicted liar is a liar.

Michael Cohen: ‘I Have Lied, But I Am Not a Liar’

Lied today about not wanting to work in the White house, the comments about the emails and roger Stone, oh hell, just go back and read my excellent posts in this thread
Old 27th February 2019, 02:31 PM   #214
The Big Dog
Suspended

The Southern District of New York & Special Counsel’s Office, here’s what their prosecutors have said about him.

SDNY: “His instinct to blame others is strong.”

SCO: Cohen’s lies were “deliberate and premeditated.”

Sounds like a bit of conformation bias there folks. I read it in a thread for skeptics.
Old 27th February 2019, 02:32 PM   #215
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
One thing Cohen just said rings absolutely true.

'Mr Trump would never hit Melania, never. He's not that type of a person'

I believe this is 100% true. From my personal experience, its one of the key aspects of narcissistic behaviour that they NEVER use physical violence to control people; they are much too cunning to do that - physical violence leaves marks, and marks can be photographed as evidence.
Except when Trump was divorcing Ivana.

I agree, Cohen was convincing. But keep in mind domestic abusers very often are good at hiding it. But there's no evidence the elevator recording was for sale so it probably didn't happen. And there's enough bad about Trump without speculating about something that has no actual evidence (since Ivana).

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 27th February 2019 at 02:33 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2019, 02:33 PM   #216
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Wait, wait, wait. Let me get this straight because i absolutely 100% do NOT want to misinterpret or misrepresent your position.

Is Cohen a liar:

Yes___

No____

I strive for clarity. Looking forward to your honest answer.
False Dichotomy, no one lies 100% of the time, and no one tells the truth 100% of the time.

If you demand that anyone that has ever lies is a liar, then by that standard everyone on the planet bar those under 2 who can't speak, are liars.

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2019, 02:34 PM   #217
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Drewbot View Post
For the first time ever, a person convicted of lying to Congress, is sitting there lying to congress.

While that is going on, The President signs a 21 Billion Dollar trade agreement with Vietnam, and tries to end the Korean War.

Enjoy your show.
Old 27th February 2019, 02:35 PM   #218
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Mara Liasson NPR just now: The GOP Congressmen are playing to Trump not necessarily to their base. "Look at me, see how loyal I am."

Trump worship is so bizarre. I think Pence may very well be that enamored with Trump rather than faking it.
I am not sure I totally buy that. I will apply Occam's Razor, and say they are appealing to their base who they think are loyal Trump followers. I am skeptical of complex psychogical explanations when a much more plausible ,simple one is around.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 27th February 2019, 02:36 PM   #219
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
One thing Cohen just said rings absolutely true.

'Mr Trump would never hit Melania, never. He's not that type of a person'

I believe this is 100% true. From my personal experience, its one of the key aspects of narcissistic behaviour that they NEVER use physical violence to control people; they are much too cunning to do that - physical violence leaves marks, and marks can be photographed as evidence.
Yeah, until they stab them to death leaving 213 wounds.

I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2019, 02:36 PM   #220
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

A lot of whistling past the graveyard by the Trumpers here, I think.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 27th February 2019, 02:36 PM   #221
The Big Dog
Suspended

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
False Dichotomy, no one lies 100% of the time, and no one tells the truth 100% of the time.

If you demand that anyone that has ever lies is a liar, then by that standard everyone on the planet bar those under 2 who can't speak, are liars.
Bingo, that is another vote for ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I had no idea whatsoever the mental gymnastics one must execute to avoid answering whether answering a person convicted for lying is a liar.

I gotta tell you, people could take this thread and write a book about it.

It will be titled: "Just Admit the God Damn obvious and move on for crying out loud."
Old 27th February 2019, 02:37 PM   #222
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post

Even Trump isn't lying on occasion. Not that he tells the truth on purpose.
Old 27th February 2019, 02:38 PM   #223
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
And your proof that he is currently lying to congress is what?

Ah yes, Vietnam... the country the U.S. could have been trading with for a long time had Trump decided to stay in the TPP, but he chose not to.

So, thanks for, what, fixing something you broke in the first place I guess.

Yes, good effort. We know he's probably going to end up being conned (as he was after the last meeting). But we can at least give him a gold star for [feigned] effort.
ftfy

Or maybe that should say "imagined effort" since Trump almost certainly believes he is taking actions that have an effect.
Old 27th February 2019, 02:40 PM   #224
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Cohen to the GOP

“I did the same thing you’re doing now for ten years… the people who do what I did and follow Trump blindly will follow the same fate I did”
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2019, 02:42 PM   #225
The Big Dog
Suspended

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Cohen to the GOP

“I did the same thing you’re doing now for ten years… the people who do what I did and follow Trump blindly will follow the same fate I did”
Uh huh, except the whole tax fraud from 2012-2016 that implicates his wife as well, and caused him to go into full sniveling rat mode to cover up their crimes.
Old 27th February 2019, 02:43 PM   #226
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Gosar: “You’re a pathological liar, you don’t know truth from falsehood.”

Cohen: “Are you referring to me, or the president?”

Cohen has already been sentenced. His statements have been corroborated by the Special Counsel. He cannot reduce his prison time by testifying before congress. If he lies, he would actually increase his prison time (a good example being Manafort’s current predicament).
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2019, 02:43 PM   #227
Steve
Illuminator

No one has really answered the question, lots of dodges, including a magnificent one that calls me a troll for pointing out a convicted liar is a liar.

Michael Cohen: ‘I Have Lied, But I Am Not a Liar’

Lied today about not wanting to work in the White house, the comments about the emails and roger Stone, oh hell, just go back and read my excellent posts in this thread
Michael Cohen has lied many times, and admitted this.

Michael Cohen does not always lie.

In this regard Michael Cohen is no different than any other person
The main difference between Michael Cohen's lies and the lies of most other people is that Michael Cohen's lies have a serious impact on USA politics.

Any statements that Michael Cohen has made today that are backed up by documented evidence. These are demonstrably not lies.

Calling Cohen a liar serves no purpose beyond inflating your own ego in your own eyes.
Old 27th February 2019, 02:44 PM   #228
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

AOC had some very specific and incriminating questions about Trump's tax evasion. She did a good job, IMO.
Old 27th February 2019, 02:45 PM   #229
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

I had no idea whatsoever the mental gymnastics one must execute to avoid answering whether answering a person convicted for lying is a liar.

It will be titled: "Just Admit the God Damn obvious and move on for crying out loud."
It's another vote for the world is not black and white.

A person can lie about one part of their life, and tell the truth in all the rest, does that make them a liar? Does it make them untrustworthy or unbelievable?

Some people can lie about things they have done, but when caught will tell the truth. Does that make them a liar? Does it make them untrustworthy or unbelievable?

Merely saying someone lied about something and thus we can simply declare that they are a liar and nothing that they say is believable is nothing more than an ad hominem fallacy attack. But you wouldn't be caught using a fallacy argument, right?

Old 27th February 2019, 02:46 PM   #230
The Big Dog
Suspended

Originally Posted by Steve View Post

Calling Cohen a liar serves no purpose beyond inflating your own ego in your own eyes.
'k

READ: Michael Cohen's plea agreement

Not kidding you folks are really entertaining TBD this afternoon.
Old 27th February 2019, 02:48 PM   #231
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

For his ego, Trump had a straw purchaser bid up his portrait so it would sell for the most money. Then Trump paid the bidder back out of the Trump Foundation charity.
Old 27th February 2019, 02:51 PM   #232
I Am The Scum
Illuminator

rat
You understand this term is reserved for those who tell the truth about their fellow criminals, right?
I Am The Scum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2019, 02:53 PM   #233
The Big Dog
Suspended

Originally Posted by I Am The Scum View Post
You understand this term is reserved for those who tell the truth about their fellow criminals, right?
You understand that i have already expertly and with actual legal citations nuked that false comment from orbit, right?
Old 27th February 2019, 02:56 PM   #234
Thermal
Philosopher

Here, I'll throw the bone:

Yes, Cohen is a liar.

Happy now?

Now let's have a fun test, and determine who has not
Old 27th February 2019, 02:57 PM   #235
Steve
Illuminator

'k

READ: Michael Cohen's plea agreement

Not kidding you folks are really entertaining TBD this afternoon.
Context my friend. Quote my complete statement or quote nothing. Respond to my complete statement or keep quiet.
Old 27th February 2019, 02:58 PM   #236
Steve
Illuminator

You understand that i have already expertly and with actual legal citations nuked that false comment from orbit, right?
No-one here understands that. No-one.
Old 27th February 2019, 02:59 PM   #237
Steve
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
Here, I'll throw the bone:

Yes, Cohen is a liar.

Happy now?

Now let's have a fun test, and determine who has not
Non-sequitur response in 3,2.1....
Old 27th February 2019, 03:03 PM   #238
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
keep quiet.
Old 27th February 2019, 03:04 PM   #239
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

You have two battles going on
The legal battle
The battle for public opinion.
Different rules apply to both.
And I think Trump is losing the public opinion battle except for his base.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 27th February 2019, 03:04 PM   #240
beren
Graduate Poster

On the other hand, Cohen just denied under oath having ever been in Prague, and he also said he never met with Russians on his 2016 trip elsewhere in Europe.

That little tidbit just nuked the Steele report grift from orbit.

Wow, what a terrible day for resistance grifters.
It certainly dents that specific part of the dossier, and I will be very skeptical of that specific report unless a see some sort of hard evidence.

Still, since the dossier is a collection of humint, and each part is not reliant ont he others and there is no claim that it is all true or all false, merely a summary of reports that Steele has heard, this does nothing to affect any other part of it.

But you already knew that and jsut can't admit it.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics