ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Congressional hearings , donald trump , Michael Cohen , Trump controversies

Old 27th February 2019, 03:05 PM   #241
wasapi
Philosopher

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
You can not second guess a narcissist. I believe Trump is more then capable of violence.
Old 27th February 2019, 03:05 PM   #242
Thermal
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Non-sequitur response in 3,2.1....
Oh, and we know its a-comin.

But at least we can move on to discussing the content instead of listenkng to feeble attempts to wholesale dismiss every word
Old 27th February 2019, 03:06 PM   #243
The Big Dog
Suspended

Context my friend. Quote my complete statement or quote nothing. Respond to my complete statement or keep quiet.
LOLZ! Oh mercy, that was funny!

you fellas are slaying me.
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2019, 03:08 PM   #244
The Big Dog
Suspended

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
Here, I'll throw the bone:

Yes, Cohen is a liar.

Happy now?

Now let's have a fun test, and determine who has not
determine who has not... lied to Congress?
Admitted to lying to Congress?
Pled guilty of lying to Congress?
Got convicted of lying to Congress?
Is going to jail for lying to Congress?

I know, I know!

Michael Cohen!
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2019, 03:08 PM   #245
Steve
Illuminator

Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
LOLZ! Oh mercy, that was funny!

you fellas are slaying me.
Sorry Thermal. I got the non-sequitur response first.
Old 27th February 2019, 03:09 PM   #246
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Important note, again: the lie Cohen pleaded guilty to telling was that Trump did nothing wrong.

If Cohen lies during today's testimony he will be in violation of his plea agreement.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2019, 03:09 PM   #247
Stacyhs
Philosopher

I just find it hysterical that those screaming the most about Cohen being a liar are the most rabid supporters of a president infamous for his pathological lying.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2019, 03:09 PM   #248
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Say, thanks for your really important thoughts, that manage to both ignore the post to which I was replying AND totally evade the question.

cool cool.

I take it you are unfamiliar with Cohen's plea deal?

cool cool.

I will put you down for ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ .
You can put me down for "Both" and also "Depends".
Old 27th February 2019, 03:09 PM   #249
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Possible Collaterial Damage:
Roger Stone tweeting a angry response to what Cohen had to say about him in the testimony.
This might be a violation of the gag rule imposed on Stone.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2019, 03:12 PM   #250
The Big Dog
Suspended

Other hilarious things that actual admitted congressional Grifter Michael Cohen is responsible for???

Quote:
Women for Cohen --Women who love and support Michael Cohen. Strong, pit bull, sex symbol, no nonsense, business oriented, and ready to make a difference!
https://twitter.com/WomenForCohen

have the laughing dogs bathed and sent to Michael cohen's room.
Old 27th February 2019, 03:13 PM   #251
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Here, I'll throw the bone:

Yes, Cohen is a liar.

Happy now?

Now let's have a fun test, and determine who has not
If Cohen is a liar, then we are ALL LIARS. Are we not? Who amongst us has never told a lie?

The question is, who is lying now?

It should be noted that Cohen is testifying under oath and can face additional prison time for lying to Congress today. He knows very well the ramifications for lying to Congress as he will begin serving time next month for lying to Congress. So is he really likely to be lying now?

Consider that no one else talking about the events today faces the same consequences. Certainly not the President who thinks truth is irrelevant to whatever he says. It's also ironic and sad that Don Jr. Is commenting from the cheap seats as he too lied to Congress. But let's face it, is not likely to be prosecuted for his offense. At least not for this offense.
Old 27th February 2019, 03:13 PM   #252
Thermal
Philosopher

Sorry Thermal. I got the non-sequitur response first.
But I got the utterly nonsensical first!

Well, first on this page...

We, first on this topic...

Well...
Old 27th February 2019, 03:14 PM   #253
Steve
Illuminator

Other hilarious things that actual admitted congressional Grifter Michael Cohen is responsible for???

https://twitter.com/WomenForCohen

have the laughing dogs bathed and sent to Michael cohen's room.
Relevance to........anything?
Old 27th February 2019, 03:16 PM   #254
Thermal
Philosopher

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
If Cohen is a liar, then we are ALL LIARS. Are we not? Who amongst us has never told a lie?

The question is, who is lying now?

It should be noted that Cohen is testifying under oath and can face additional prison time for lying to Congress today. He knows very well the ramifications for lying to Congress as he will begin serving time next month for lying to Congress. So is he really likely to be lying now?

Consider that no one else talking about the events today faces the same consequences. Certainly not the President who thinks truth is irrelevant to whatever he says. It's also ironic and sad that Don Jr. Is commenting from the cheap seats as he too lied to Congress. But let's face it, is not likely to be prosecuted for his offense. At least not for this offense.
Yep. People lie. People come clean. A good barometer is whether or not they stand to gain from it. Cohen does not appear to be gaining much, save a little self respect
Old 27th February 2019, 03:17 PM   #255
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Uh huh, except the whole tax fraud from 2012-2016 that implicates his wife as well, and caused him to go into full sniveling rat mode to cover up their crimes.
Virtually by definition, a rat's inner-circle consists of rats. This should come as no surprise whatsoever to any prosecutor who has ever gone after the mob.

It's surreal and bleakly hilarious that all the pearl-clutching about Cohen's past lies is in defense of the world class liar of all ******* time.

Last edited by varwoche; 27th February 2019 at 03:19 PM.
varwoche is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2019, 03:18 PM   #256
The Big Dog
Suspended

Relevance to........anything?
That CongressGrifter Michael Cohen himself set up that fake account filled with lies.
Old 27th February 2019, 03:19 PM   #257
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
What makes you think his claims haven't ALREADY been investigated? I'd bet money he has told the SCO, the SDNY and NYAG all of this.

And while I think it's possible Cohen is lying before Congress today, I don't think it is likely. And you just nailed the reason. Lying to Congress at this point could easily add more prison time. And trust me, Cohen of all people knows this.
Further, the SCO and SDNY will KNOW if anything he says is a lie.

I have to say that the purchase of extra bags of popcorn, and getting up at 4am to watch this has been worth every penny and every minute spent. Watching some of the GOP members' heads exploding in fits of red-faced, spittle-filled fake outrage has been truly, truly entertaining.
Old 27th February 2019, 03:20 PM   #258
beren
Graduate Poster

You understand that i have already expertly and with actual legal citations nuked that false comment from orbit, right?
No you have not.
Old 27th February 2019, 03:22 PM   #259
Stacyhs
Philosopher

I wish I could be a fly on the wall witnessing Trump watching Cohen's testimony.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2019, 03:23 PM   #260
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
Virtually by definition, a rat's inner-circle consists of rats. This should come as no surprise whatsoever to any prosecutor who has ever gone after the mob.

Or anybody who has seen a Marty Scorsese Mafia movie.
Or a season of the Sopranos...

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2019, 03:23 PM   #261
The Big Dog
Suspended

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Fextra bags of popcorn, and getting up at 4am to watch this has been worth every penny and every minute spent. Watching some of the GOP members' heads exploding in fits of red-faced, spittle-filled fake outrage has been truly, truly entertaining.
Kinda like me and this thread, Watching some of the Leftists' heads exploding in fits of red-faced, spittle-filled real outrage has been truly, truly entertaining, indeed.
Old 27th February 2019, 03:25 PM   #262
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
Important note, again: the lie Cohen pleaded guilty to telling was that Trump did nothing wrong.
Yes, that is important to note. Again and again. Maybe it should be posted every time someone calls Cohen a liar, just for balance. Should we warn icerat?

Suffering is not a punishment not a fruit of sin, it is a gift of God.
He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2019, 03:25 PM   #263
Steve
Illuminator

That CongressGrifter Michael Cohen himself set up that fake account filled with lies.
Ok, no relevance. Thanks.
Old 27th February 2019, 03:26 PM   #264
Cabbage
Muse

determine who has not... lied to Congress?
Admitted to lying to Congress?
Pled guilty of lying to Congress?
Got convicted of lying to Congress?
Is going to jail for lying to Congress?

I know, I know!

Michael Cohen!
AND PAY NO ATTENTION TO THE LIES COMING FROM THE WHITE HOUSE!
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2019, 03:29 PM   #265
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Further, the SCO and SDNY will KNOW if anything he says is a lie.

I have to say that the purchase of extra bags of popcorn, and getting up at 4am to watch this has been worth every penny and every minute spent. Watching some of the GOP members' heads exploding in fits of red-faced, spittle-filled fake outrage has been truly, truly entertaining.
I really wonder just how many of those GOP members actually disbelieve what Cohen said today? My guess is it is some number between ZERO and NONE. Hell, I don't think even The Big Dog thinks Cohen is lying. He, like those GOP members are simply trying to discredit the messenger.
Old 27th February 2019, 03:29 PM   #266
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by wasapi View Post
You can not second guess a narcissist. I believe Trump is more then capable of violence.
Yeah, this Narcissist is not capable of personal violence is a lot of crap.
In fact, Narcissm is a common trait among mass muderers and serial killers.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 27th February 2019, 03:32 PM   #267
The Big Dog
Suspended

Ok, no relevance. Thanks.
Oh dear, the relevance is that the leftists' newest and bestest buddy Michael cohen is congenital liar of Hillarian Proportions.
Old 27th February 2019, 03:35 PM   #268
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

At this point a good attorney would go "yes, the President is a liar and a sleazeball; let's talk about how much physical evidence you got to back up your case that he commited actual serious crimes worthy of impeachment".
But although no doubt a number of the GOP ers are attorneys. they are not good ones.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 27th February 2019, 03:40 PM   #269
The Big Dog
Suspended

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
Yes, that is important to note. Again and again. Maybe it should be posted every time someone calls Cohen a liar, just for balance. Should we warn icerat?
Hi Dr. keith. This statement:

"The lie Cohen pleaded guilty to telling was that Trump did nothing wrong."

Is not accurate. Not at all. Cohen lied to Congress about the details of an otherwise totally legal project.

the lies were the crimes, not anything Trump did.

I linked the information earlier in the thread. If you need me to walk you through it, you just let The Big Dog know.
Old 27th February 2019, 03:45 PM   #270
toto
Muse

Yep. People lie. People come clean. A good barometer is whether or not they stand to gain from it. Cohen does not appear to be gaining much, save a little self respect
I would have thought that to sell a book and to become a tv pundit in the future he would need to be truthful and credible now. Also I get the impression that he wouldn't want to let down his family again.

I wish the questioning had been more focussed but I thought Ocasia-Cortes was quite good.
Old 27th February 2019, 03:47 PM   #271
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Hi Dr. keith. This statement:

"The lie Cohen pleaded guilty to telling was that Trump did nothing wrong."

Is not accurate. Not at all. Cohen lied to Congress about the details of an otherwise totally legal project.

the lies were the crimes, not anything Trump did.

I linked the information earlier in the thread. If you need me to walk you through it, you just let The Big Dog know.
I must be really confused. Please do.

Suffering is not a punishment not a fruit of sin, it is a gift of God.
He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2019, 03:47 PM   #272
toto
Muse

Oh dear, the relevance is that the leftists' newest and bestest buddy Michael cohen is congenital liar of Hillarian Proportions.
In 759 days, President Trump has made 8,718 false or misleading claims. Courtesy Washington Post
Old 27th February 2019, 03:48 PM   #273
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I gotta admit; when he gets out of prison Cohen might get a gig as a talk show host;he has shown he's good with comebacks.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 27th February 2019, 03:49 PM   #274
Donal
Illuminator

You know guys, that ignore button is pretty useful.

Also, Tlaib should have said to Meadows "I didn't say you were a racist, but that was a damn good impression of one."
Donal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2019, 03:49 PM   #275
The Big Dog
Suspended

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
I must be really confused. Please do.
Sure. You see there is something called an Information. let me know when you have read the entire Information I linked earlier.

/so to confirm, you did claim you are an attorney, right?
Old 27th February 2019, 03:51 PM   #276
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by toto View Post
In 759 days, President Trump has made 8,718 false or misleading claims. Courtesy Washington Post
And I am sure that the WAPO missed a few....

I expect politicans to lie;every politician does. I even expect the President to lie on occasion. But the amount of lying Trump does is just staggering.
And what gets to me is so many of them are Dumb Lies;the kind of Lie I feel he is insulting my intelligence by expecting I would fall for it. I can have a certain twisted respect for a clever liar, but Trump is a just plain dumb liar.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 27th February 2019, 03:52 PM   #277
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Quite the dramatic ending.

Congressman who did the racist thing, Trump's black friend proves he's not a racist, gets called on it by a black Congresswoman. Goes into a pearl clutching outrage, settled by Cummings clarifying the accusation was general, not personal. Nice one. Prevents the testimony from being stricken from the record, takes the teeth out of the Congressman's outrage while leaving the blatant (and valid) accusation intact. Whether he's a racist or not, the tactic was racist.

Then Cummings gave a great closing argument, all about the democracy Trump is a threat to.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 27th February 2019 at 03:54 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2019, 03:55 PM   #278
ChrisBFRPKY
Master Poster

Well if you don't consider the book deals worth millions................sure.

Chris B.
One could choose to be civil though and still disagree. For example, since I know Bigfoot does exist, I don't call others "idiot" just because they're uneducated on the subject and share a different view based on that lack of experience. Chris B.
ChrisBFRPKY is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2019, 03:56 PM   #279
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Donal View Post
You know guys, that ignore button is pretty useful.

Also, Tlaib should have said to Meadows "I didn't say you were a racist, but that was a damn good impression of one."
Old 27th February 2019, 03:58 PM   #280
WilliamSeger
Illuminator

If you need me to walk you through it, you just let The Big Dog know.
Wheeeee!

How about walking us through whatever argument you're trying to make. "Cohen is a liar, therefore... ?"

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics