ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 1st March 2019, 09:16 PM   #1
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

GOP's anti-Muslim display likening Rep. Omar to a terrorist rocks W. Virginia capitol

"We have allowed national level politics to become a cancer on our state," the House speaker said.

Quote:
Angry arguments broke out in the West Virginia statehouse on Friday after the state Republican Party allegedly set up an anti-Muslim display in the rotunda linking the 9/11 terror attacks to a freshman congresswoman from Minnesota.

One staff member was physically injured during the morning's confrontations, and another official resigned after being accused of making anti-Muslim comments.

The display featured a picture of the World Trade Center in New York City as a fireball exploded from the one of the Twin Towers, set above a picture of Democratic Rep. Ilhan Omar, who's a Muslim.

"'Never forget' - you said. . ." read a caption on the first picture. "I am the proof - you have forgotten," read the caption under the picture of Omar, who is wearing a hijab.

"I don't want to live in a world without shemp." - Quarky

"...just as a magnet attracts iron filings, Trump attracts, and is attracted to, louts." - George Will
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st March 2019, 10:03 PM   #2
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

This from the link is quite disturbing:
Quote:
Another Republican delegate, Eric Porterfield, was hit with calls to resign last month after he called LGBTQ groups "the closest thing to political terrorism in America" and "a modern day version of the Ku Klux Klan."

"Let me (be) very clear with my statement," Porterfield told NBC News then. "The LGBTQ — not homosexuals — are the modern day version of the Ku Klux Klan."
Old 1st March 2019, 10:20 PM   #3
Polaris
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
If you're unfamiliar with this Porterfeld jackass, he looks like early Elmer Fudd.
"There's vastly more truth to be found in rocks than in holy books. Rocks are far superior, in fact, because you can DEMONSTRATE the truth found in rocks. Plus, they're pretty. Holy books are just heavy." - Dinwar

"Let your ears hear this beautiful song that's hiding underneath the sound," Ed Kowalczyk.
Polaris is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st March 2019, 10:52 PM   #4
Stacyhs
Philosopher

The GOP...the party of tolerance and family values.
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2019, 05:16 AM   #5
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

Well if it was an anti-semitic display Omar could have been on board with it
Old 2nd March 2019, 06:24 AM   #6
gabeygoat
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by applecorped View Post
That’s your defense?
Old 2nd March 2019, 06:34 AM   #7
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

What does he think lgbtq is? The la le lu lo le?
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2019, 07:00 AM   #8
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

I thought WV was too busy handling the pouring in wealth of its revived coal industry for such distractions? Wasn't that the promise, elect Republicans and drown in money as the state reverses course and stops being the second-worst state? I'd hate to suggest any Republican politician would resort to identity politics in an effort to distract people from actual issues.
Old 2nd March 2019, 07:01 AM   #9
WilliamSeger
Illuminator

Originally Posted by gabeygoat View Post
That’s your defense?
Self-defense, yes: He can dismiss the nastiness of Republican bigotry if he imagines that everyone is just as bigoted.
Old 2nd March 2019, 07:03 AM   #10
bonzombiekitty
Graduate Poster

I'm not entirely sure what he's attempting to clarify there. Is he trying to say that it's not JUST homosexuals who are the modern day KKK, or is he trying to say that LGBTQ is a whole separate thing from homosexuals (and thus has no idea what LGBTQ stands for).
bonzombiekitty is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2019, 07:04 AM   #11
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
I thought WV was too busy handling the pouring in wealth of its revived coal industry for such distractions? Wasn't that the promise, elect Republicans and drown in money as the state reverses course and stops being the second-worst state? I'd hate to suggest any Republican politician would resort to identity politics in an effort to distract people from actual issues.
Never in WV.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2019, 07:48 AM   #12
The Big Dog
Suspended

Boy her brother and ex-husband are going to be MAD!

As such, that is one person mad about it.
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2019, 07:53 AM   #13
paiute
Graduate Poster

Uck

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
Watched a minute of that interview. That guy is the kind of stuff you scrape off the bottom of your shoe with a look of profound disgust on your face.
http://www.scribd.com/doc/36568510/A...-of-Cadaverine
paiute is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2019, 08:04 AM   #14
cantonear1968
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Polaris View Post
If you're unfamiliar with this Porterfeld jackass, he looks like early Elmer Fudd.

I was reading the story at the time and that was my take away: if you needed a stereotypical caricature of an old white southern Male you'd draw this guy.

But you need to read the tv interview he gave later in the week when asked what he would do if his son or daughter was gay. Among some benign things he ended with "I'd take him/her swimming" inferring he'd drown them.

The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.
-Good luck America with President Trump
cantonear1968 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2019, 08:05 AM   #15
baron

Originally Posted by cantonear1968 View Post
I was reading the story at the time and that was my take away: if you needed a stereotypical caricature of an old white southern Male you'd draw this guy.

But you need to read the tv interview he gave later in the week when asked what he would do if his son or daughter was gay. Among some benign things he ended with "I'd take him/her swimming" inferring he'd drown them.
I thought his smile was genuine, though.
baron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2019, 08:13 AM   #16
cantonear1968
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
Boy her brother and ex-husband are going to be MAD!

As such, that is one person mad about it.

Doing a quick read about the marriages themselves, on the surface it looks like there might be some irregularities but certainly nothing that is in the realm of impossible. However, according to Snopes, the "married her brother" claim originated from one anonymous post on a Somali forum. Surely that can't be the level of proof you accept to continue to spread such a rumour.

The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.
cantonear1968 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2019, 08:15 AM   #17
cantonear1968
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by baron View Post
I thought his smile was genuine, though.

Man if that's not the creepiest I-have-a-body-in-my-trunk smile, I dont know what is!

Old 2nd March 2019, 08:18 AM   #18
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

Originally Posted by WilliamSeger View Post
Self-defense, yes: He can dismiss the nastiness of Republican bigotry if he imagines that everyone is just as bigoted.
And another sterling example of the double standards and false equivalencies of Republicans:

A Democrat is critical of Israel = Anti-Semitic.

A Republican is blatantly Islamaphobic = Hey look over there... a squirrel!
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2019, 08:21 AM   #19
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Doing a quick read about the marriages themselves, on the surface it looks like there might be some irregularities but certainly nothing that is in the realm of impossible. However, according to Snopes, the "married her brother" claim originated from one anonymous post on a Somali forum. Surely that can't be the level of proof you accept to continue to spread such a rumour.
Appealing to Conspiracy Theories and pathetic tu quoques is apparently the only kind of response your going to get from the local righties.

God forbid they say something like “we really need to get this kind of bigotry out of the party” that might break the Reagan rule.

Also, it would mean they aren’t just hunky-dory with the bigotry.

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2019, 08:23 AM   #20
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

In fairness, when a white southern Republican compares something to the Ku Klux Klan, it’s probably meant as a compliment.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2019, 08:25 AM   #21
The Big Dog
Suspended

Originally Posted by kookbreaker View Post
Appealing to Conspiracy Theories and pathetic tu quoques is apparently the only kind of response your going to get from the local righties.

God forbid they say something like “we really need to get this kind of bigotry out of the party” that might break the Reagan rule.

Also, it would mean they aren’t just hunky-dory with the bigotry.
Pointing out that the subject of the thread is a raging Jew hater or an immigrant fraud is not a tu quoque
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2019, 08:34 AM   #22
cantonear1968
Graduate Poster

Pointing out that the subject of the thread is a raging Jew hater or an immigrant fraud is not a tu quoque

It really is when it is in a thread about relating a Muslim to 9/11 when they had nothing to do with the attacks.

Do you have any thoughts on that?

Old 2nd March 2019, 08:44 AM   #23
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

The poster and display in question
Old 2nd March 2019, 08:50 AM   #24
WilliamSeger
Illuminator

Is that what dogs call it when they just lift a leg and pee?
Old 2nd March 2019, 08:51 AM   #25
cantonear1968
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by GlennB View Post

Jesus!

Old 2nd March 2019, 09:00 AM   #26
The Big Dog
Suspended

It really is when it is in a thread about relating a Muslim to 9/11 when they had nothing to do with the attacks.

Yes we really should be focusing on her hateful rhetoric and possible immigration fraud
Old 2nd March 2019, 09:04 AM   #27
carlitos
"más divertido"

Maybe we can have an even-less-critical section in USA Politics (sic), titled "state rep does something stupid." Just an all-out flame war on stupidity.
carlitos is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2019, 09:10 AM   #28
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

I will say that its obvious the term 'raging jew-hater' has zero meaning when spoken by some posters.

Notable from the article about the display:

Quote:
Pushkin, who is Jewish, said he condemned the poster from the floor of the House and asked his colleagues to do the same.
If she is such a raging jew-hater wouldn't he have been pleased with this display?

Fun fact: Number of citizens of West Virginia killed on 9/11: 0.

New York's 18-year-old tragedy (which they have overcome) is little more than a hammer for bigots.

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2019, 09:27 AM   #29
WilliamSeger
Illuminator

Yes we really should be focusing on her hateful rhetoric and possible immigration fraud
Unconvincing. When Hillary said that "half" of Trump's supporters were deplorable, virtually all of them were offended. Why? Apparently it's because they don't consider bigots to be deplorable, which we might deduce from the very fact that they voted for Trump.
Old 2nd March 2019, 02:51 PM   #30
cantonear1968
Graduate Poster

Which has what to do with the thread topic?

Serious question: do you think all muslims should be painted with 9/11?

Old 2nd March 2019, 03:40 PM   #31
WilliamSeger
Illuminator

Which has what to do with the thread topic?

Serious question: do you think all muslims should be painted with 9/11?
Just "until we find out what the hell is going on."
Old 2nd March 2019, 07:11 PM   #32
Travis
Misanthrope of the Mountains

Considering she isn't anti-semetic that is a huge reach.
Old 2nd March 2019, 07:15 PM   #33
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Another Republican delegate, Eric Porterfield, was hit with calls to resign last month after he called LGBTQ groups "the closest thing to political terrorism in America" and "a modern day version of the Ku Klux Klan."

"Let me (be) very clear with my statement," Porterfield told NBC News then. "The LGBTQ — not homosexuals — are the modern day version of the Ku Klux Klan."
Jesus Christ, what a nincompoop. He appears to believe that there's an organization called "The LGBTQ".

https://www.nbcnews.com/feature/nbc-...rn-day-n970231

Quote:
"The LGBTQ — not homosexuals, but the LGBTQ — is the closest thing to political terrorism in America," Porterfield told NBC News. While Porterfield did not elaborate on what he specifically meant by "the LGBTQ," he appeared to be speaking about lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer people who advocate for LGBTQ rights.

Porterfield started his nearly week-long series of commentary regarding "the LGBTQ" last Wednesday in the West Virginia House during a debate about local discrimination ordinances.

“The LGBT is the most socialist group in this country,” he said during an "extended diatribe," according to The Charleston Gazette-Mail. “They do not protect gays. There are many gays they persecute if they do not line up with their social ideology.”

Porterfield then reiterated his views during an interview on Friday with the paper. “The LGBTQ is a modern day version of the Ku Klux Klan, without wearing hoods with their antics of hate,” Porterfield told the Gazette-Mail.
He's said it multiple times.

Apparently he lost his eyesight in a bar fight at a strip club in which he was allegedly the aggressor.
Old 2nd March 2019, 07:29 PM   #34
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
Jesus Christ, what a nincompoop. He appears to believe that there's an organization called "The LGBTQ".
The Legion of Great Biceps, Traps, and Quads. To be fair, there's a lot of crossover between the gay population and the Legion.

Quote:
Apparently he lost his eyesight in a bar fight at a strip club in which he was allegedly the aggressor.
Aaaaand that's how you lose the sympathy points you get for being blind.
Old 2nd March 2019, 07:37 PM   #35
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

I'm pretty sure the Ku Klux Klan is the modern-day version of the Ku Klux Klan.
Checkmite is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2019, 12:08 AM   #36
This is The End

Here are just a couple of the ways people in christian conservative nutjob bubble land help themselves sleep at night.

Anyone even remotely critical of anything Trump does = socialist.

Anyone even remotely critical of anything Israel does = jew hater.
Old 3rd March 2019, 01:05 AM   #37
Lambchops
Graduate Poster

You got any evidence of this supposed "immigration fraud"?

I mean, an esteemed poster such as yourself wouldn't just be throwing these kinds of accusations around without anything to back them up, right?

Come on, show us the goods.

Last edited by Lambchops; 3rd March 2019 at 01:07 AM.
Lambchops is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2019, 07:18 AM   #38
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Lambchops View Post

I mean, an esteemed poster such as yourself wouldn't just be throwing these kinds of accusations around without anything to back them up, right?

Well rich reality stars can import underage models into the US where they work essentially as slaves with the threat of deportation. You can even import one in under false pretenses, have her violate her visa by working, then lie when you marry her, and instead of her being deported, she becomes the first lady.
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2019, 07:42 AM   #39
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post

https://www.nbcnews.com/feature/nbc-...rn-day-n970231

He's said it multiple times.

Yeah, what a winner this guy is! Steps into an altercation that was already winding down, starts a fight, gets the crap kicked out of him, loses his vision, then has the audacity to sue the bar because he thinks they should have provided security that would have prevented him from starting the fight! What a freakin' dickwad!

"I don't want to live in a world without shemp." - Quarky

"...just as a magnet attracts iron filings, Trump attracts, and is attracted to, louts." - George Will
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2019, 09:07 AM   #40
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Lambchops View Post

Snopes says "unproven".

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics