IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags alex jones , infowars

Old 10th August 2022, 02:09 PM   #1081
Reformed Offlian
Muse

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
Yes for real. The January 6th Committee said that they were in possession of the texts.

Roger Stone said that the intimate discussion was that he and Jones "prayed together"
I imagine Stone means he was looking at the pictures and muttering "Lord have mercy!"

Close enough?
Reformed Offlian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2022, 04:32 PM   #1082
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
I'm still not 100% convinced he can't.

Short of a bullet between the eyes what can possibly stop him going right back to his ways when this is said and done.
Question is how much creditbility Jones will have outside his hardcore cult when this is over. I think not very much.
If you want him totally silenced, that is not going to happen.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2022, 05:06 PM   #1083
TheGoldcountry
Philosopher

Originally Posted by JayUtah View Post
My experience (mostly observational, not practiced) is that while you can informally signal your intentions to the other party ("Yeah, I'm gonna need that back"), you still have to follow up with the proper motions and notices, otherwise no legal obligation ensues. In this case, plaintiff's counsel could very well have been notified informally that there was going to be a claw-back, and very well have cordially acknowledged it, but if a properly written and filed notice pursuant to the rules of civil procedure never arrives, you can't pursue a claim based on a violation of the rule.

From what I've seen, procedural rules carry significant weight. They're literally the substance of due process, which rises all the way to the Constitutional guarantees regarding the judiciary. You can't just tap-dance your way through them.
Also, as the judge pointed out, even if the plaintiffs' lawyers had violated procedure, a lot of that evidence was supposed to be made available in discovery anyway. The defense balked and said it would take months to sort through exactly what the plaintiffs were entitled to, but again, that was their fault for not cooperating with the court from the very beginning.

They ****** themselves in multiple ways.
Old 10th August 2022, 06:09 PM   #1084
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Question is how much creditbility Jones will have outside his hardcore cult when this is over. I think not very much.
I would say his "hardcore cult" is pretty huge at this point.

At this point, the whole Trump-Jones-Carlson-Internet-Edgelords Axis has convinced millions of people that up is down and down is up.

They will all get behind the idea that Jones was set up, that the FBI planted evidence in Mar-a-Lago, that Trump and Jones were totally innocent of the January 6th debacle which was all anti-fa, but ALSO a great uprising and totally justified!

They have passed the point where having a consistent story even matters. In fact, probably past the point at which they would even have any problem with the worst of all the accusations against them?
Old 10th August 2022, 07:34 PM   #1085
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Jones has a hardcore cult following that he despises: he wants MSM recognition, a spot like Tucker on a big Station without having to change one bit himself.
These verdicts will make him too toxic for most of his "mainstream" idols.

- Emo Philips
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2022, 05:53 AM   #1086
Stellafane
Village Idiot.

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Jones has a hardcore cult following that he despises: he wants MSM recognition, a spot like Tucker on a big Station without having to change one bit himself.
Jones is the flute the Republicans play to lead his useful idiots to the polling booth. Once he becomes too full of spit to be of use, they'll throw him into the river with the rest of the dead rats.
Old 11th August 2022, 06:42 AM   #1087
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Stellafane View Post
Jones is the flute the Republicans play to lead his useful idiots to the polling booth. Once he becomes too full of spit to be of use, they'll throw him into the river with the rest of the dead rats.
Hmmmm that sounds so awfully familiar to what got said about someone else who's name escapes me... frump... rump.... something like that.
Old 11th August 2022, 07:25 AM   #1088
Stellafane
Village Idiot.

Hmmmm that sounds so awfully familiar to what got said about someone else who's name escapes me... frump... rump.... something like that.
Oh, it's a tried-and-true method that's been practiced for centuries, I understand. The problem is, they always seem to forget how the original turned out, and that one way or another, you're gonna pay the piper.
Old 11th August 2022, 09:51 AM   #1089
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon

So, apparently, Jones' wife has stated that she had not given him permission to share nude photos of her.
Counterbalance in the little town of Ridgeview, Ohio. Two people permanently enslaved by the tyranny of fear and superstitution, facing the future with a kind of helpless dread. Two others facing the future with confidence - having escaped one of the darker places of the Twilight Zone.
Foster Zygote is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2022, 10:08 AM   #1090
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Foster Zygote View Post
So, apparently, Jones' wife has stated that she had not given him permission to share nude photos of her.
Wife: "I can't believe you! I am so outraged! Delete those photos right now!"
Alex: "Fine, fine I'll delete them." *Pulls out phones, hits a few buttons* "Oh... oh crap."
Wife: "You just forwarded it to the lawyer didn't you?"
Alex: "No."
Wife: "...."
Alex: "Yes. And the opposing lawyer."
Wife: "...."
Alex: "And your high school reunion contact group. And your church bulletin. And TMZ."
Old 11th August 2022, 10:35 AM   #1091
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

I wonder what attracted Mrs Jones to multi-millionaire Alex?

(Thank you, Mrs Merton.)
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2022, 11:16 AM   #1092
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Foster Zygote View Post
I had mentioned that way back in post 1035

When asked about it, she said: "I am upset that he took privilege to send the image to someone without my knowledge. However, that's really the least of my problems right now"

It is currently a mystery about what she means in the last sentence.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2022, 11:26 AM   #1093
TheGoldcountry
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post

When asked about it, she said: "I am upset that he took privilege to send the image to someone without my knowledge. However, that's really the least of my problems right now"

"Right now, I'm trying to figure out what I can raid from his carcass before everyone else tears him apart."
Old 11th August 2022, 11:47 AM   #1094
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TheGoldcountry View Post
Quote:

"Right now, I'm trying to figure out what I can raid from his carcass before everyone else tears him apart."
If the weather turns cold she could cut him open and live inside him....

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2022, 11:55 AM   #1095
TheGoldcountry
Philosopher

"I thought he smelled bad on the outside!"
Old 11th August 2022, 01:45 PM   #1096
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
I would say his "hardcore cult" is pretty huge at this point.

At this point, the whole Trump-Jones-Carlson-Internet-Edgelords Axis has convinced millions of people that up is down and down is up.

They will all get behind the idea that Jones was set up, that the FBI planted evidence in Mar-a-Lago, that Trump and Jones were totally innocent of the January 6th debacle which was all anti-fa, but ALSO a great uprising and totally justified!

They have passed the point where having a consistent story even matters. In fact, probably past the point at which they would even have any problem with the worst of all the accusations against them?
I disagree. I think Jones has become too toxic for many conspiracy loons.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2022, 01:48 PM   #1097
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

This. Jones will never get that huge payday he dreams of.
it is interesting that Jones has routinely attacked the #1 guy on Fox News.
First Glenn Beck, then Tucker. It is pure jealously. They both made tons more money then Jones ever did in a lot less time.
To a certain degree Beck and Carlson know what line not to cross. Insulting the parents of victims in a shooting is a bad idea that will not play well, and Beck and Carlson knew better, Jones did not.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 11th August 2022, 01:53 PM   #1098
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon

Counterbalance in the little town of Ridgeview, Ohio. Two people permanently enslaved by the tyranny of fear and superstitution, facing the future with a kind of helpless dread. Two others facing the future with confidence - having escaped one of the darker places of the Twilight Zone.
Foster Zygote is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2022, 02:04 PM   #1099
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Maybe for a few weeks.
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2022, 02:06 PM   #1100
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Hiding as much money from the court is probably her highest priority right now.
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2022, 02:31 PM   #1101
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by trustbutverify View Post
Hiding as much money from the court is probably her highest priority right now.
You know what's a really bad idea when you want to hide assets?
Declare bankruptcy.

- Emo Philips
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2022, 03:24 PM   #1102
angrysoba
Philosophile

I can't imagine which conspiracy loons you are talking about who have decided, "No, sorry, Alex has gone too far now!"

Quite the opposite from what I can see. Now, it seems to me, that Alex Jones has never been bigger and more and more "alternative media" types and even some "mainstream types" seem to be giving Alex Jones more exposure and repeating the lie that he's "more right than wrong". Examples include Joe Rogan (obviously), Tucker Carlson, Glenn Greenwald, and Matt Taibbi. Alex Jones was even the subject of a documentary seeking to whitewash him.

We have already seen from his finances that he is making massive, extraordinary amounts of money for his lies and bluster. He's probably more popular now than ever.
Old 11th August 2022, 03:30 PM   #1103
trustbutverify
Philosopher

You know what's a really bad idea when you want to hide assets?
Declare bankruptcy.
Maybe that's one of the problems that makes her naked pics being shared like baseball cards the least of her worries.
Old 12th August 2022, 05:26 AM   #1104
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

Erika Wulff-Jones the yoga instructor/author now married to Alex Jones -- whose nude photo was apparently sent to Roger Stone -- was arrested last December on domestic violence charges. Alex Jones called police and reported he was being attacked and "in fear of my life."
Quote:
Alex Jones’ wife Erika Wulff Jones allegedly struck the far-right conspiracy theorist “over 20 times” and threatened to hit him in the head with a stone ball, causing him to "fear for his life,” according to police documents reviewed by The Daily Beast. Wulff Jones was arrested on a domestic violence charge for that Friday night altercation at the couple’s home outside of Austin, Texas. According to the Travis County arrest affidavit, during an initial 911 phone call with police, Jones told an emergency operator that his wife had struck him over the head multiple times and was “holding a polished club in her hand” and attempting to “hit him with it.” Daily Beast link (may be pay-walled
The Associated Press reported Jones saying "I love my wife." His wife is apparently on a lot of medication -- no surprise! -- and Jones blamed the incident on "some kind of medication imbalance.”
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Me and Mrs Jones.jpg (90.8 KB, 19 views)
newyorkguy is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2022, 07:05 AM   #1105
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
Erika Wulff-Jones the yoga instructor/author now married to Alex Jones -- whose nude photo was apparently sent to Roger Stone -- was arrested last December on domestic violence charges. Alex Jones called police and reported he was being attacked and "in fear of my life."

The Associated Press reported Jones saying "I love my wife." His wife is apparently on a lot of medication -- no surprise! -- and Jones blamed the incident on "some kind of medication imbalance.”
This line got my attention...

Quote:
Alex Jones’ wife Erika Wulff Jones allegedly struck the far-right conspiracy theorist “over 20 times” and threatened to hit him in the head with a stone ball, causing him to "fear for his life,” according to police documents reviewed by The Daily Beast.
He had Stone's balls in the house?
Old 12th August 2022, 10:31 AM   #1106
sackett
Philosopher

Why would she bother hitting him? She could easily* post nude pix of him. Now that would be an atrocity! Hell yes she'd deserve jail time for it. With shock therapy.

* Almost wrote queasily. Or did my outraged software try to do it?

If you would ruin a man's character, let him seize power.
sackett is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2022, 12:04 PM   #1107
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon

As John Oliver said, Alex Jones answers the question: what if Grimace was a Proud Boy?
Old 12th August 2022, 01:43 PM   #1108
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post

I wonder what proof the medication is.....

Robert Heinlein.
Old 12th August 2022, 05:14 PM   #1109
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

I wonder what proof the medication is.....
What state do they live in?
Everclear isn't available in all 50.

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2022, 11:17 PM   #1110
Susheel
Master Poster

But aren't all his fans his hard core cult members
Old 13th August 2022, 12:14 AM   #1111
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by Susheel View Post
But aren't all his fans his hard core cult members
It's more Sunken Cost Fallacy: they spend so much money on his fake supplements that they can't to themselves that they got conned for so long.

- Emo Philips
Old 13th August 2022, 12:34 AM   #1112
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

It's more Sunken Cost Fallacy: they spend so much money on his fake supplements that they can't to themselves that they got conned for so long.
Yes, emotional investment is a thing.

Once you have convinced someone to buy into your cult, they will work hard to stay in it.

Every year since 1990 the US Public healthcare spending has been greater than the UK as a proportion of GDP. More US Tax goes to healthcare than the UK
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2022, 12:44 AM   #1113
DevilsAdvocate
Philosopher

I'm sorta (again outsider looking in so I'm super not married to this idea and very well could be wrong) on the idea that the Defense Lawyer's team accidently sent the info and, if I understand correctly, at that point that Defense team had 10 days to legally and by the book go "Oopsie we messed up, don't look at that and give it back." And they did, but not officially. Like there was communication about these documents almost immediately and the Defense said they were sent in error but never did the official motion to get them back.

I think maybe, MAYBE, that's where the whole "I assumed you'd do it out of 'professionalism'" mistake came into play.
That is largely the issue. Plaintiffs got a default judgment, in part, because Jones did not turn over documents he was required to turn over. Plaintiffs again requested the documents for the damages portion of the trial. Jones's attorney had an assistant send the documents, which included URL links to the documents. One of those links included a whole bunch of information, perhaps even the whole case file.

Plaintiffs notified defense. Defense told plaintiffs' attorney to ignore the URL. The problem with that response was that plaintiffs had been pulling teeth to get documents and the URL included documents to which plaintiffs were entitled. They can't simply ignore the link because that would mean they would not have access to documents to which they were entitled to. Defense had to specify which documents they needed to ignore. They didn't do that, so the whole shebang ended up legally in plaintiffs' hands.

Jones had testified that he had searched his phone and there were no texts related to Sandy Hook. But those text were in the files sent by mistake. Plaintiffs can't just ignore that. Defense has to say what documents they want back and why because that would raise some rather large questions about why they are asking for documents back that Jones swore under oath did not exist. Plaintiffs were left with little choice but to use those documents.

And as far as then releasing the document sot the January 6 committee, the professional courtesy bridge had been burned with all the flipping off the attorney and bad mouthing them in public during the trial and lying under oath and generally being a jackass and refusing to turn over documents and lying about documents not existing.
Old 13th August 2022, 01:04 AM   #1114
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Professional courtesy can never trump doing what's best for your client.

- Emo Philips
Old 13th August 2022, 01:27 AM   #1115
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by DevilsAdvocate View Post
Quote:
I'm sorta (again outsider looking in so I'm super not married to this idea and very well could be wrong) on the idea that the Defense Lawyer's team accidently sent the info and, if I understand correctly, at that point that Defense team had 10 days to legally and by the book go "Oopsie we messed up, don't look at that and give it back." And they did, but not officially. Like there was communication about these documents almost immediately and the Defense said they were sent in error but never did the official motion to get them back.

I think maybe, MAYBE, that's where the whole "I assumed you'd do it out of 'professionalism'" mistake came into play.
That is largely the issue. Plaintiffs got a default judgment, in part, because Jones did not turn over documents he was required to turn over. Plaintiffs again requested the documents for the damages portion of the trial. Jones's attorney had an assistant send the documents, which included URL links to the documents. One of those links included a whole bunch of information, perhaps even the whole case file.

Plaintiffs notified defense. Defense told plaintiffs' attorney to ignore the URL. The problem with that response was that plaintiffs had been pulling teeth to get documents and the URL included documents to which plaintiffs were entitled. They can't simply ignore the link because that would mean they would not have access to documents to which they were entitled to. Defense had to specify which documents they needed to ignore. They didn't do that, so the whole shebang ended up legally in plaintiffs' hands.
And as far as then releasing the document sot the January 6 committee, the professional courtesy bridge had been burned with all the flipping off the attorney and bad mouthing them in public during the trial and lying under oath and generally being a jackass and refusing to turn over documents and lying about documents not existing.
Something else to keep in mind...

Jone's lawyers did ask the plaintiff's lawyers "please disregard the documents we sent". But, not only did Jone's lawyers fail to follow up with a proper legal response specifying what materials were to be returned/ignored, they also failed to produce a new "this is what we really wanted to give you" version of the document dump.

After all, the plaintiff's lawyers were expecting... something... to be sent. If Jones' lawyers were going to take away what they did provide, they should have immediately followed up with a "Now you've disregarded this set of documents, here is the actual set of documents we were going to send you". But they never did.

Professionalism and curtesy is a 2-way street.

We are Groot - Groot
Old 13th August 2022, 01:45 AM   #1116
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Indeed - posts 1113-1115 are spot on

Every year since 1990 the US Public healthcare spending has been greater than the UK as a proportion of GDP. More US Tax goes to healthcare than the UK
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2022, 03:00 AM   #1117
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
Indeed - posts 1113-1115 are spot on
2nded. Thanks to the respective posters, incident now makes much mire sense to me.
Old 13th August 2022, 03:25 AM   #1118
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by Oystein View Post
2nded. Thanks to the respective posters, incident now makes much mire sense to me.
Basically, Jones seemed to have got a lawyer who could bear to work with him, and happy to avoid any pretence of professionalism.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories