IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old Yesterday, 12:53 PM   #681
Steersman
Thinker

Originally Posted by d4m10n View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steersman:
Not particularly useful to have a whole bunch of ad hoc and quite inconsistent definitions for the sexes created for different applications.
Hard disagree on this one, I'd say the sorting criteria depend on what you're trying to do.
That's the problem that the transloonie nutcases are creating by redefining "male" and "female" as genders and gender identities. You want to follow suit? One joker to another?

But maybe it would help to realize that it's the objectively quantifiable criteria that are the tickets, that the names we attach to various collections of them are largely irrelevant, if not red herrings the size of Moby Dick?

For the sake of discussions about sporting leagues, I'd adopt Rolfe's definition which hinges on functional SRY genes and receptors; fairness and safety require that we segregate those who undergo male puberty.
Sure, more or less. But, again, it's less the definition than the underlying trait. Why I've argued that the subtext of the entry requirements for women's sports should be no XY need apply; SRY, not SRY.

Pretty much all that those who have dicks, or who had them have that gene; probably 98% if not more. If there's a question then do the genetic analysis. Easy peasy ...

For the sake of discussions about sexual reproduction (like this one) I'd use different criteria based on reproductive potentiality/capacity.
Aye, there's the rub. WHICH criteria? Any that have even the least passing resemblance - past, present, or future - to any traits that might have anything to do with actually producing [habitually, present tense indefinite] gametes of one sort or the other? What a joke.

There's absolutely diddly-squat about any "potentiality" in ANY of the biological definitions that are endorsed by no end of credible dictionaries, encyclopedias, biological journals, biologists, and philosophers of biology.

What you're talking about, what Hilton and her partners in crime are talking about is family resemblances and polythetic categories. Which boil down into spectra. Bravo, bravo ... See Regenmortel JPG:

For the sake of discussions about traditional Korean spas and other sex-segregated nude spaces, I'd go with external body habitus.
That's a bit vague; methinks you need to learn how to call a spade an effen shovel. Try voicing, even mentally for starters, the phrase, "one set of spaces for vagina-havers and reasonable facsimiles thereof, and another set of such spaces for penis-havers and reasonable facsimiles thereof". Gets easier with practice ...

Sent from my Fathon FQ2 using Tapatalk
You must have a lot of spare cellphones floating about ...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ResearchGate_Regenmortel_PolytheticClasses1C.jpg (92.7 KB, 6 views)
Steersman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 01:10 PM   #682
d4m10n
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Steersman View Post
That's the problem that the transloonie nutcases are creating by redefining "male" and "female" as genders and gender identities.
I'd likely be interested in discussing such attempts at redefinition (assuming you have one in mind) in the thread about trans issues.

But maybe it would help to realize that it's the objectively quantifiable criteria that are the tickets...
Yes, but the criteria for eligibility to undertake surrogate motherhood are different than the criteria to compete in women's sport, and each of those are different than the criteria to visit MichfestWP.

Why I've argued that the subtext of the entry requirements for women's sports should be no XY need apply; SRY, not SRY.
People with de la Chapelle syndromeWP probably shouldn't be in women's sport; karyotype isn't enough information here.

Aye, there's the rub. WHICH criteria?
Already asked and answered.

There's absolutely diddly-squat about any "potentiality" in ANY of the biological definitions that are endorsed by no end of credible dictionaries, encyclopedias, biological journals, biologists, and philosophers of biology.
None of the credible lexicographers, encyclopedists, or biologists have adopted your habit of calling newborns with 46, XY karyotype "pre-males," though. Either they misunderstand what "male" means in English, or you do.

Sent from my Emperor Vectre using Tapatalk

Last edited by d4m10n; Yesterday at 01:16 PM.
d4m10n is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 02:09 PM   #683
Steersman
Thinker

I'd likely be interested in discussing such attempts at redefinition (assuming you have one in mind) in the thread about trans issues.
Haven't got a clue what you're getting at ...

Yes, but the criteria for eligibility to undertake surrogate motherhood are different than the criteria to compete in women's sport, and each of those are different than the criteria to visit MichfestWP.
So EFFEN what?

You're missing the point or refusing to engage with it. Use the criteria, ditch the definitions - at least those incompatible with the biological ones.

People with de la Chapelle syndromeWP probably shouldn't be in women's sport; karyotype isn't enough information here.
WTF do you think I referenced the SRY gene thingy? Methinks you too need to learn how to read past the first sentence in a paragraph ...

Quote:
In 90 percent of these individuals, the syndrome is caused by the Y chromosome's SRY gene, which triggers male reproductive development, being atypically included in the crossing over of genetic information that takes place between the pseudoautosomal regions of the X and Y chromosomes during meiosis in the father.
Cause of the balance seems genetically murky.

Already asked and answered.
LoL. "Because the Bible tells me so" ...

None of the credible lexicographers, encyclopedists, or biologists have adopted your habit of calling newborns with 46, XY karyotype "pre-males," though. Either they misunderstand what "male" means in English, or you do.
So effen WHAT?

https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/a...n_doyle_134512

But lots of people champion principles but then balk and turn turtle when they find themselves hoist by their own petards. You & PZ for examples ...
Steersman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 02:45 PM   #684
d4m10n
Philosopher

Haven't got a clue what you're getting at
This isn't the thread where you can reasonably expect people to reply on trans issues, because they know what happens to off topic posts.

WTF do you think I referenced the SRY gene thingy?
Why bother mentioning karyotype if you know it's not the relevant criterion?

"Because the Bible tells me so"
You asked for my criteria in "discussions about sexual reproduction," I've already told you that upthread.

So effen WHAT?
So I've concluded that you've misunderstood what they were trying to say. Had they really meant what you think they do, we'd see evidence of that meaning in their usage (e.g. when they talk about pre-pubertal males).

Last edited by d4m10n; Yesterday at 02:52 PM.
d4m10n is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 07:49 PM   #685
Steersman
Thinker

This isn't the thread where you can reasonably expect people to reply on trans issues, because they know what happens to off topic posts.
My original comment was about you making a "whole bunch of ad hoc and quite inconsistent definitions". And I said that that was like the transloonies redefining "male" and "female". So when you said "discussing such attempts", it was not at all clear which group of definitions you were referring to.

But, assuming it's the transloonies' efforts you have in mind, I'll probably make a comment thereon in the transwoman thread. Though I've already done so somewhere here or there in the context of a Matt Walsh tweet about Merriam-Webster's (re)definitions of the terms.

Why bother mentioning karyotype if you know it's not the relevant criterion?
There were two paragraphs there talking to that point. Don't think you made it much past the first sentence ...

You asked for my criteria in "discussions about sexual reproduction," I've already told you that upthread.
And I provided 3 paragraphs showing why that "argument", and a related and contradictory one, were so much anti-scientific claptrap.

Try learning to read and think about all of what is being put on the table in response to your comments.

So I've concluded that you've misunderstood what they were trying to say. Had they really meant what you think they do, we'd see evidence of that meaning in their usage (e.g. when they talk about pre-pubertal males).
You INFERRED that. Lots of other reasons other than those you've given why other people aren't running around concluding and asserting that the prepubescent are sexless.

I've given a whole bunch of solid reasons for and frequent comments justifying that conclusion of mine, which Griffiths endorses - mostly related to the concept of intensional definitions - which no one here has been willing to address.

Don't see you as a particularly intellectually honest or careful interlocutor there mate.
Old Yesterday, 08:03 PM   #686
d4m10n
Philosopher

Don't see you as a particularly intellectually honest or careful interlocutor there mate.
I don't care what you think about me, and you're not even addressing my argument.

Once again, my argument is this: You don't have examples of other people refusing to call infants "male" or post-menopausal women "female" and so it appears you are using those words in a manner entirely unique to yourself.

Words are for communication with other people though.

If you cannot find examples of lexicographers or scientists using these words as you do, you might should stop and ask why.

Last edited by d4m10n; Yesterday at 08:06 PM.
Old Yesterday, 11:09 PM   #687
Steersman
Thinker

I don't care what you think about me, and you're not even addressing my argument.
Of course I have - several times, some 18 times in fact; you're just not listening.

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...&postcount=517

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...&postcount=409

Difficult to do that if you have your fingers in your ears or your head in the sand ...

Once again, my argument is this: You don't have examples of other people refusing to call infants "male" or post-menopausal women "female" and so it appears you are using those words in a manner entirely unique to yourself.
So effen WHAT?

The issue is:
  1. ) is the definition for "bachelor" an intensional definition or not? (hint for those slow on the uptake: yes);
  2. ) is the definition for "teenager" an intensional definition or not? (ditto);
  3. ) is the definition for "male" an intensional definition or not? (ditto);
  4. ) do intensional definitions specify the necessary and sufficient conditions for category membership or not? (ditto);
  5. ) is the necessary and sufficient condition for membership in the category "male" stated to be "produces [habitually] sperm" or not? (ditto);
  6. ) do prepubescent XYers produce sperm or not? (hint for those slow on the uptake: NO);
  7. ) does it logically follow or not that prepubescent XYers are therefore NOT males? (hint for those slow on the uptake: YES);

Further such hints:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extens...al_definitions
https://www.lexico.com/definition/male

It's totally irrelevant if no one else reaches that conclusion; if the premises are true then the conclusion inexorably follows.

Words are for communication with other people though.
Sure - that's why we have dictionaries. Which you refuse to use. Think you can make up your own; pull something out of your arse and expect everyone else has to stand up and salute it. What a joke.

If you cannot find examples of lexicographers or scientists using these words as you do, you might should stop and ask why.
Totally irrelevant. Millions of ways of using words; some more accurate than others, very few of which have examples illustrating such uses. Analogously, probably a hundred ways of rearranging the tokens in "2+3=5", probably only a few of which are mathematically true.

The issue is the principles involved. Which you clearly haven't a clue about, and refuse to learn about.
Old Yesterday, 11:39 PM   #688
Matthew Best
Philosopher

Listen - Steersman is right and everyone else in the entire world is wrong. If you can't get that simple idea into your thick skull, then I don't know what.
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 12:55 AM   #689
Steersman
Thinker

Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post
Listen - Steersman is right and everyone else in the entire world is wrong. If you can't get that simple idea into your thick skull, then I don't know what.
Do please show me, my Master, the errors of my ways. Let me sit at your feet to gather your pearls of wisdom. ....

I didn't create those definitions or principles behind them, I didn't cut them out of whole cloth or pull them out of my nether regions; I'm only using them to draw some apparently irrefutable conclusions. If you don't like them then you have to demonstrate that those definitions and principles are null and void.

But that exchange reminds me of a classic and rather damning passage from an article at The Atlantic - How America Lost Its Mind - by Kurt Andersen, the author of Fantasyland: How America Went Haywire, which is basically a synopsis of the book:

Quote:
A year later, The Colbert Report went on the air. In the first few minutes of the first episode, Stephen Colbert, playing his right-wing-populist commentator character, performed a feature called “The Word.” His first selection: truthiness. “Now, I’m sure some of the ‘word police,’ the ‘wordinistas’ over at Webster’s, are gonna say, ‘Hey, that’s not a word!’ Well, anybody who knows me knows that I’m no fan of dictionaries or reference books. They’re elitist. Constantly telling us what is or isn’t true. Or what did or didn’t happen. Who’s Britannica to tell me the Panama Canal was finished in 1914? If I wanna say it happened in 1941, that’s my right. I don’t trust books—they’re all fact, no heart … Face it, folks, we are a divided nation … divided between those who think with their head and those who know with their heart … Because that’s where the truth comes from, ladies and gentlemen—the gut.”
https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine...s-mind/534231/

Rather disconcerting to see on a "Skeptics Forum" - quote, unquote - many who are clearly "no fans of dictionaries and reference books", who think they're "elitist", who "don't trust books" ...

Y'all spend a rather large amount of money supporting "higher education" - much of which you're rather badly served by. But to throw it all overboard because what is worthwhile in it doesn't comport with your vanities, delusions, folk-biology, and scientific illiteracy seems rather remarkably short-sighted, like cutting off your noses to spite your faces. To say the least ...
Old Today, 02:04 AM   #690
porch
Muse

If a guy with a vasectomy gets it reversed then he's changed his state from sexless to male. As for "habitual condom use", male then not-male then male then not .... Like being "hungry" at breakfast, full shortly thereafter, hungry before lunch, full thereafter, etc., etc., etc.

I'm just gonna drop this quote here and give appropriate thanks for your furthering of scientific literacy.
porch is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 03:59 AM   #691
Matthew Best
Philosopher

Do please show me, my Master, the errors of my ways.
What errors? It's the rest of the world that's making errors - you are infallible.
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 06:09 AM   #692
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

If you meet an ignoramus, you've met an ignoramus. If everyone you meet is an ignoramus...

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events