IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags ufos

Old 3rd July 2010, 05:46 PM   #1
Montmorency
Student

What do you make of this UFO video documentary?

I think it is quite disturbing. I think there is video of some things here we cnnot explain rationally, and why would they be faked. I look on the internet and many many new videos come to light as people have cameras on them. I would like to know from JREF forum what they make of this video. Maybe some clips are fake, who knows. But all? Which ones do you think are real? I find the clips in broad daylight are hard to explain.

I must confess, three days ago I saw something like a UFO in the sky above my house. It was 3.30 in the morning. I looked out and saw this thing, and got binoculars to see it more clearly. Two lights. One very bright, one smaller, right beside it. I have woken myself up four nights in a row at the same time to see if it is there. No sign. It was not a star or a planet and certainly not a plane.

Anyways, see what you think of this and I would like to know your thoughts as I a bit disturbed by what I saw...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66Th0...ext=1&index=16

There seem to be adverts at the beginning of this. I can only apologise. Not everyone will get the ads. And the program is worth waiting for I think.

Really a bit freaked by what I saw and by this film. Any thoughts appreciated.

Seve
Montmorency is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th July 2010, 12:37 AM   #2
Sledge
Grammaton Cleric

What conspiracy theory are you talking about?

"Science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it would stop" ~ Dara O'Briain.
Sledge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th July 2010, 02:19 AM   #3
jakesteele
Fait Accompli

Should be in the General Skepticism forum

Life is God’s funniest joke
And we are the punchline
jakesteele is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th July 2010, 03:12 AM   #4
patchbunny
Graduate Poster

What I make of it is a 49 minute long video that I have no intent on watching to try and understand a point that you can't be bothered to articulate.

I am soooo sick of posts that are little more than "watch this video!!!!" and a link.
"So, they laugh at my boner, will they? I'll show them! I'll show them how many boners the Joker can make!" -- The Joker, Batman #66
patchbunny is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th July 2010, 05:04 PM   #5
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

I think with some hamburger, tomato sauce, onions, beans, a can of beer and some green peppers I could make a great bowl of chili of that UFO video documentary.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2010, 06:25 AM   #6
BaaBaa
Semi-literate hench-person

It's a blimp.

Probably.
Old 5th July 2010, 06:32 AM   #7
Loss Leader
I would save the receptionist.

I can make a hat, or a brooch, or a pterodactyl.

L. Leader
Loss Leader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2010, 07:04 AM   #8
Harpo
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Loss Leader View Post
I can make a hat, or a brooch, or a pterodactyl.
Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.
Old 5th July 2010, 07:21 AM   #9
Bikewer
Penultimate Amazing

"and why would they be faked." Why indeed? Why would the history of "UFO" sightings be populated with the most outrageous frauds and fakes imaginable?
There are thousands. Why do people do it? Why do they fake crop circles? Why do hackers do silly things to websites?
Human nature, my friend.
Bikewer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2010, 07:23 AM   #10
learner
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Harpo View Post
Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.
Its always the wrong week to quit Glue sniffing...sniff

49 Minutes! I would rather soft boil 16 and a bit Eggs
Old 5th July 2010, 09:09 AM   #11
Marduk
Banned

Originally Posted by Montmorency View Post
I think it is quite disturbing. I think there is video of some things here we cnnot explain rationally, and why would they be faked. I look on the internet and many many new videos come to light as people have cameras on them. I would like to know from JREF forum what they make of this video. Maybe some clips are fake, who knows. But all? Which ones do you think are real? I find the clips in broad daylight are hard to explain.

I must confess, three days ago I saw something like a UFO in the sky above my house. It was 3.30 in the morning. I looked out and saw this thing, and got binoculars to see it more clearly. Two lights. One very bright, one smaller, right beside it. I have woken myself up four nights in a row at the same time to see if it is there. No sign. It was not a star or a planet and certainly not a plane.

Anyways, see what you think of this and I would like to know your thoughts as I a bit disturbed by what I saw...

There seem to be adverts at the beginning of this. I can only apologise. Not everyone will get the ads. And the program is worth waiting for I think.

Seve
anything with a rotating strobe light on the bottom is a blimp, I have it on good authority that the aliens are well past that sort of technology
Marduk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2010, 09:40 AM   #12
Czarcasm
Groovy Groovy Guru

Seve
Why don't you go ahead and sum it up for those of us who don't want to play the "Watch me sucker people into increasing the hits on my video!" game.
Old 5th July 2010, 09:57 AM   #13
stephenenelson
Scholar

Got as far as the first video. A quick search showed me that the guy's "UFO" was in fact a NASA balloon, and that NASA had announced that they were launching a balloon that day. If this is among the most impressive sightings, I'm not impressed.
stephenenelson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2010, 06:21 PM   #14
kerikiwi
Philosopher

Any thoughts appreciated.
It's all balderdash. Don't even need to look at the link to know that.
Oh, and what you saw was either a star or a planet or a plane (or other human artefact)
kerikiwi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th July 2010, 01:40 PM   #15
Montmorency
Student

ok, I can see that posting a link to a longer length video is perhaps not the thing to do. But I just thought someone might have an angle on things other than to say it is all rubbish and that's it. I think that there is plenty of evidence for some strange unidentified things flying in the sky. Something made the Chinese worried enough to close the airport the other day. Funny they have not come out and said all the photos were faked yet and it was a blimp! Somethings in the sky cannot be explained and cannot be said to be just fakers. They would have to be faking for many hours as these things are seen all ove rthe world by hundreds of people every day. Some I think are made by us. There are three astronauhts now who confirm that alien spacecraft exist. Neil Armstrong is one, Buzz Aldrin is another. Recently Gordon Cooper talked about it at length on the radio. It is funny how this is not accepted by people as being significant. There are other sightings by astronauts too. I think this is quite compelling witness testimony?
Montmorency is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th July 2010, 01:42 PM   #16
Montmorency
Student

Originally Posted by kerikiwi View Post
It's all balderdash. Don't even need to look at the link to know that.
Oh, and what you saw was either a star or a planet or a plane (or other human artefact)
What extraordinary conviction you have...How can you know what I saw and what it was?
Old 19th July 2010, 02:03 PM   #17
Blackwell
Graduate Poster

...Maybe some clips are fake, who knows. But all? Which ones do you think are real? I find the clips in broad daylight are hard to explain...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfqDVP_0O0c

And yea, the Lord did text unto the Philistines...
U guys have to stop s1nnig. I totaly <3 U guys 4ever but I will pwn U when I CUL8ER and U will be all OMG! and WTF! and I be LOL!!! - Psiload
Blackwell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th July 2010, 02:06 PM   #18
Avindair
Scholar

I can make a hat, or a brooch, or a Pterodactyl...

Seriously, what is your take on this video?
Avindair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th July 2010, 02:09 PM   #19
Fnord
Metasyntactic Variable

OK, I can see that posting a link to a longer length video is perhaps not the thing to do. But I just thought someone might have an angle on things other than to say it is all rubbish and that's it...
There are three conclusions to be made: (1) It's rubbish; (2) It's real; and (3) Someone has too much time on their hands. I choose 1 and 3, for the win.
I think that there is plenty of evidence for some strange unidentified things flying in the sky.
What you think is irrelevant to assessing the validity of your claims.
Something made the Chinese worried enough to close the airport the other day.
One of their own military missile tests.
Funny they have not come out and said all the photos were faked yet and it was a blimp!
"They" are all experts, with real jobs, so "They" are probably too busy doing important stuff to waste their time reviewing hashed-up episodes of "Lost in Space".
Somethings in the sky cannot be explained, and cannot be said to be just fakers.
Everything in the sky can be explained; but not everybody will believe an explanation that does not involve fantasy creatures. Is it not enough to marvel are the wonders of the heavens without also imagining a conspiracy behind them?
They would have to be faking for many hours as these things are seen all over the world by hundreds of people every day.
... most of whom wouldn't know a satellite from the rings around Uranus
Some I think are made by us.
Most are natural events and objects, the rest are man-made.
There are three astronauts now who confirm that alien spacecraft exist.
Where is their evidence?
Neil Armstrong is one, Buzz Aldrin is another. Recently Gordon Cooper talked about it at length on the radio.
Has-beens seeking to augment their pensions by pandering to the UFOnies who see extraterrestrials behind every cloud and a conspiracy where there is a lack of evidence.
It is funny how this is not accepted by people as being significant.
There is nothing funny about thinking people seeing nothing significant. What is funny is how many ignorant, open-minded people are willing to believe anything told to them by other ignorant, open-minded people.
There are other sightings by astronauts too.
Links, please?
I think this is quite compelling witness testimony?
What you think does not validate your claim any more than what some octogenarian space-case might think. Follow the money to who is paying those bubble-heads to relate their science-fantasy stories to the National Enquirer crowd.
Belief itself proves nothing.

Last edited by Fnord; 19th July 2010 at 02:14 PM.
Fnord is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th July 2010, 02:12 PM   #20
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

Something made the Chinese worried enough to close the airport the other day. Funny they have not come out and said all the photos were faked yet and it was a blimp!
Do you feel the Chinese government has a duty to seek out and examine all the photos people stick on the internet and tell you whether they're fake or not?
Jack by the hedge is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th July 2010, 02:16 PM   #21
fuelair
Banned

What do you make of this UFO video documentary?

jokes, tokes, small sculptures, fine powdery stuff for noses, dreams, schemes, memes, mimes, rhymes, venuses, penisauruses (an in joke - ask if you don't know), corn dogs (same), cornhole (a very in/up joke AND a midwestern sport), mincemeat.
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th July 2010, 02:22 PM   #22
Apology
This title intentionally left blank

Originally Posted by Avindair View Post
I can make a hat, or a brooch, or a Pterodactyl...

Seriously, what is your take on this video?
Ahahaha, I was just coming in to post this...
Apology is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th July 2010, 02:34 PM   #23
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

There are three astronauhts now who confirm that alien spacecraft exist. Neil Armstrong is one, Buzz Aldrin is another.
Buzz Aldrin is a talkative kind of guy. Can you humour me by providing a link to Aldrin confirming that alien spacecraft exist (rather than, for example, his describing a piece of unidentified space junk seen from Apollo 11)?

I did try Googling, but the stuff I found made claims like "Buzz Adrin admits aliens exist" but turned out merely to refer to his anecdote about an unidentified item spotted travelling along with Apollo 11.
Jack by the hedge is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th July 2010, 03:16 PM   #24
Bell
Penultimate Amazing

There are three astronauhts now who confirm that alien spacecraft exist. Neil Armstrong is one, Buzz Aldrin is another.
Bull st!

Neil, Buzz and Michael never left Earth.
Bell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th July 2010, 03:24 PM   #25
Sledge
Grammaton Cleric

Heh, you can tell Bell doesn't live near Buzz.
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

"Science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it would stop" ~ Dara O'Briain.
Sledge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th July 2010, 03:28 PM   #26
Psiload
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Jack by the hedge View Post
Buzz Aldrin is a talkative kind of guy. Can you humour me by providing a link to Aldrin confirming that alien spacecraft exist (rather than, for example, his describing a piece of unidentified space junk seen from Apollo 11)?

I did try Googling, but the stuff I found made claims like "Buzz Adrin admits aliens exist" but turned out merely to refer to his anecdote about an unidentified item spotted travelling along with Apollo 11.
Buzz nipped the UFO nonsense right in the bud on Larry King...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7RUwbqrO08

Quote:
http://www.skeptic.com/eskeptic/07-11-14

One of my first UFO questions stated that Apollo astronaut Buzz Aldrin had reported that he and his crew members saw a UFO on Apollo 11. “Edwin Aldrin recently came out in a special on the Science Channel and stated that the astronauts aboard Apollo 11 all saw unidentified objects which seemed to have been following them. He also mentions that they were briefed not to talk about what they had seen. What does NASA have to say in response to this? What were those objects they all saw?”

To get a straight story, I called Buzz Aldrin, who was happy to explain what had happened. He said that the quotations were taken out of context and did not convey the intended meaning. After the Apollo 11 crew verified that the object they were seeing was not the SIVB upper stage, which was about 6000 miles away at that time, they concluded that they were probably seeing one of the panels from the separation of the spacecraft from the upper stage. These panels were not tracked from Earth and were likely much closer to the Apollo spacecraft. They chose not to discuss this on the open communications channel since they were concerned that their comments might be misinterpreted (as they are being now). All of this explanation about the panels was cut from the broadcast interview, thus giving the impression that the Apollo 11 crew had seen a UFO. Buzz said that he was angry about the deceptive editing and asked them to correct this reversal of what he had said, but they refused.
Old 19th July 2010, 03:36 PM   #27
Bell
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Sledge View Post
Heh, you can tell Bell doesn't live near Buzz.
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Yeah, that's so cool! WHACK!!

Buzz a coward? He sat on top of a rocket filled with hundreds of thousands of highly explosive fuel. Flew into space and to the moon where if anything went wrong no rescue would be possible. Unless you were lucky number 13.
Bell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th July 2010, 03:40 PM   #28
Fnord
Metasyntactic Variable

Originally Posted by David Morrison, Senior Scientist of the NASA Astrobiology Institute
"To get a straight story, I called Buzz Aldrin, who was happy to explain what had happened. He said that the quotations were taken out of context and did not convey the intended meaning. After the Apollo 11 crew verified that the object they were seeing was not the SIVB upper stage, which was about 6000 miles away at that time, they concluded that they were probably seeing one of the panels from the separation of the spacecraft from the upper stage. These panels were not tracked from Earth and were likely much closer to the Apollo spacecraft. They chose not to discuss this on the open communications channel since they were concerned that their comments might be misinterpreted (as they are being now). All of this explanation about the panels was cut from the broadcast interview, thus giving the impression that the Apollo 11 crew had seen a UFO. Buzz said that he was angry about the deceptive editing and asked them to correct this reversal of what he had said, but they refused. Buzz Aldrin, who was happy to explain what had happened. He said that the quotations were taken out of context and did not convey the intended meaning. After the Apollo 11 crew verified that the object they were seeing was not the SIVB upper stage, which was about 6000 miles away at that time, they concluded that they were probably seeing one of the panels from the separation of the spacecraft from the upper stage. These panels were not tracked from Earth and were likely much closer to the Apollo spacecraft. They chose not to discuss this on the open communications channel since they were concerned that their comments might be misinterpreted (as they are being now). All of this explanation about the panels was cut from the broadcast interview, thus giving the impression that the Apollo 11 crew had seen a UFO. Buzz said that he was angry about the deceptive editing and asked them to correct this reversal of what he had said, but they refused."
Good enough for me!
Belief itself proves nothing.
Fnord is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th July 2010, 05:51 PM   #29
steve s
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Blackwell View Post
Quote:

...Maybe some clips are fake, who knows. But all? Which ones do you think are real? I find the clips in broad daylight are hard to explain...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfqDVP_0O0c

Have no fear, Han Solo is here to save us.

I AGREE

I AGREE

Steve S

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal