ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING! , border issues , donald trump , immigration issues , Trump controversies

Old 20th September 2018, 04:53 PM   #1521
Tsukasa Buddha
Other (please write in)

Another update:

Quote:
he Trump administration is planning to shift more than $260 million to cover the rising cost and strain of housing thousands of undocumented immigrant children in their custody -- including millions of dollars from programs like cancer research and HIV/AIDS prevention.

The request comes as the program has been strained by record-high levels of children in custody, driven in large part by new policies that are holding kids longer and making it more difficult for them to be released to adults, such as family members.

It also comes amid news that the Department of Health and Human Services once again could not locate 1,500 children it had released over a three-month period.

There are more than 13,000 children currently in HHS custody, spokeswoman Evelyn Stauffer told CNN. The number fluctuates daily, but that is higher than the record-setting 12,800 in custody last week.
Linky.
Old 20th September 2018, 05:34 PM   #1522
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Tsukasa Buddha View Post
Another update:

Linky.

Not only do we lead the world in the number of adults incarcerated by the government, many for victimless crimes, I suspect we lead the world in the number of children taken from their families and put into concentration camps and cages for no good reason.

Let's all stand for the National Anthem. "Land of the free".

No kneeling, or you'll lose your job.

Last edited by quadraginta; 20th September 2018 at 05:35 PM.
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2018, 09:06 PM   #1523
kellyb
Philosopher

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
Not only do we lead the world in the number of adults incarcerated by the government, many for victimless crimes, I suspect we lead the world in the number of children taken from their families and put into concentration camps and cages for no good reason.
There's no way I can think of that we don't.
Old 21st September 2018, 03:12 AM   #1524
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Originally Posted by kellyb View Post
There's no way I can think of that we don't.
Is it worth pointing out that there are outright genocides occurring? I find it quite possible that we don't in light of that, though I wouldn't make a bet about it.
Old 21st September 2018, 12:26 PM   #1525
kellyb
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post
Is it worth pointing out that there are outright genocides occurring? I find it quite possible that we don't in light of that, though I wouldn't make a bet about it.
Yeah, that's worth pointing out. Ugh.
Old 21st September 2018, 02:56 PM   #1526
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

If you're looking for a low bar to compare us to that's a pretty good place to start, but I'd like to think we could strive for something just a tiny bit higher than comparisons to brutal third world autocracies just to make us feel better about the way our government behaves.

You know, being the Leader of the Free World and all that.
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st September 2018, 08:52 PM   #1527
Aridas

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
If you're looking for a low bar to compare us to that's a pretty good place to start, but I'd like to think we could strive for something just a tiny bit higher than comparisons to brutal third world autocracies just to make us feel better about the way our government behaves.

You know, being the Leader of the Free World and all that.
Oh, I quite think that we should be striving to be, quite frankly, incredible, and that we quite certainly have the power to do so. With that said, I was only making the point that we might well not, in fact, be the worst when it comes to the specific things noted, contrary to kellyb's thoughts at that time. I was not, in any way, actually trying to make anyone feel better about the way that our government have been behaving, though. That I felt it reasonable to invoke Genocide Watch in response is already a seriously bad sign, after all.
Old 25th September 2018, 07:32 AM   #1528
Stacko
Philosopher

FOIA requests reveal that was an actual family separation policy.

Quote:
The biggest revelation in the documents is a memo dated April 23, in which top Department of Homeland Security (DHS) officials urged criminal prosecution of parents crossing the border with children—the policy that led to the crisis that continues today. The memo, first reported on by the Washington Post on April 26, but never previously published, provides evidence that Secretary of Homeland Security Kirstjen Nielsen signed off on a policy of family separation despite her repeated claims denying that there was such a policy. The Post appears to have obtained a copy of the memo prior to its signature.

The memo states that DHS could “permissibly direct the separation of parents or legal guardians and minors held in immigration detention so that the parent or legal guardian can be prosecuted.” It outlines three options for implementing “zero tolerance,” the policy of increased prosecution of immigration violations. Of these, it recommends “Option 3,” referring for prosecution all adults crossing the border without authorization, “including those presenting with a family unit,” as the “most effective.”

The last page of the memo contains a signature approving Option 3, but the signature—almost certainly Nielsen’s, given that the memo is addressed to her—was blacked out by FOIA officers on privacy grounds. FOIA officials also appear to have redacted the date of the signature indicating approval.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2018, 08:11 AM   #1529
The Great Zaganza
Philosopher

I hope someone in Nielsen's family asks her about this at Thanksgiving.
Old 25th September 2018, 09:44 AM   #1530
kellyb
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
Quote:
The last page of the memo contains a signature approving Option 3, but the signature—almost certainly Nielsen’s, given that the memo is addressed to her—was blacked out by FOIA officers on privacy grounds.
Is "privacy" the new word for "accountability avoidance"?
Old 27th September 2018, 05:00 AM   #1531
Border Reiver
Philosopher

Since the signature at Option 3 is clearly meant to show that this was the selected option, on what basis is the signature redacted? This is clearly indicative of a decision made in that person's public capacity as an agent of the government and as such should be public information.

Here in Canada the Access to Information Act would not support such a redaction.
Old 30th September 2018, 10:42 AM   #1532
Aridas

Hundreds of Migrant Children Quietly Moved to a Tent Camp on the Texas Border

Quote:
The roughly 100 shelters that have, until now, been the main location for housing detained migrant children are licensed and monitored by state child welfare authorities, who impose requirements on safety and education as well as staff hiring and training.

The tent city in Tornillo, on the other hand, is unregulated, except for guidelines created by the Department of Health and Human Services. For example, schooling is not required there, as it is in regular migrant children shelters.

Mark Greenberg, who oversaw the care of migrant children under President Barack Obama, helped to craft the emergency shelter guidelines. He said the agency tried “to the greatest extent possible” to ensure that conditions in facilities like the one at Tornillo would mirror those in regular shelters, “but there are some ways in which that’s difficult or impossible to do.”

Several shelter workers, who spoke on condition of anonymity for fear of being fired, described what they said has become standard practice for moving the children: In order to avoid escape attempts, the moves are carried out late at night because children will be less likely to try to run away. For the same reason, children are generally given little advance warning that they will be moved.

<snip>

Some staff members cried when they learned of the move, the shelter worker said, fearing what was in store for the children who had been in their care. Others tried to protest. But managers explained that tough choices had to be made to deal with the overflowing population.

The system for sheltering migrant children came under strain this summer, when the already large numbers were boosted by more than 2,500 young border crossers who were separated from their parents under the Trump administration’s zero-tolerance policy. But those children were only a fraction of the total number who are currently detained.
A momentary glimpse again at one of the larger related problems at hand that the family separation policy and the Trump Administration's immigrantion policy in general has exacerbated.

Last edited by Aridas; 30th September 2018 at 10:44 AM.
Aridas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th September 2018, 01:30 PM   #1533
kellyb
Philosopher

Hundreds of Migrant Children Quietly Moved to a Tent Camp on the Texas Border

A momentary glimpse again at one of the larger related problems at hand that the family separation policy and the Trump Administration's immigrantion policy in general has exacerbated.

Gawd, what an evil people some Americans are.
Old 3rd October 2018, 07:28 AM   #1534
Belz...
Fiend God

"Others tried to protest. But managers explained that tough choices had to be made to deal with the overflowing population."
Gee, what does that remind me of?

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2018, 03:35 PM   #1535
Tsukasa Buddha
Other (please write in)

Key takeaways from the Inspector General review of Trump’s Family Separation Policy
Old 3rd October 2018, 10:09 PM   #1536
Aridas

Inspectors found nooses hanging in cells at an ICE detention facility

Also...

Quote:
A disabled detainee asked to be placed in administrative segregation but instead was placed in disciplinary segregation and "inappropriately held" there for nine days, according to the report. ICE uses "disciplinary segregation" to describe the practice more commonly known as solitary confinement.
"Based on our file review," the report says, "in those 9 days, the detainee never left his wheelchair to sleep in a bed or brush his teeth ... We also observed medical staff just looking in his cell and stamping his medical visitation sheet rather than evaluating the detainee, as required by ICE standards."
After inspectors raised the issue with a medical health services administrator, the detainee was moved to medical for observation, according to the report.
Also...

Quote:
Another detainee interviewed by inspectors said he'd been waiting more than two years for cavities to be filled and had multiple teeth fall out in the meantime.
"Our detainee interviews and review of medical records revealed that detainees are placed on wait lists for months and, sometimes, years to receive basic dental care, resulting in tooth loss and unnecessary extractions in some cases," the report says.
A review of records found that no detainees had received fillings in the last four years.
"When we asked one of the dentists why fillings were not performed, he said he barely has time to do cleanings and screening, so as a result he does not do fillings," the report says.
Bolded letter switched with the space now after it, under the assumption that it was a typo.

And of course...

Quote:
"ICE has ignored the ACLU's repeated complaints about abuse and neglect at Adelanto," Michael Kaufman, an attorney for the ACLU Foundation of Southern California, said in a statement. "The OIG's disturbing report (reveals) that GEO and ICE officials continue to disregard immigration detainees' well-being, often with tragic consequences."
This isn't the first time that the inspector general has warned of problems in ICE detention.
Old 3rd October 2018, 10:14 PM   #1537
The Great Zaganza
Philosopher

... and people wonder why some call for ICE to be abolished?
Old 12th October 2018, 02:49 AM   #1538
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

https://twitter.com/SeanLavery/statu...95062889680896

Quote:
Here is a contract, designed for children, with an option to forfeit their rights, that 5-year-old asylum seeker Helen practiced spelling her name on. https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-...way-her-rights
https://twitter.com/SeanLavery/statu...28172985516032

Quote:
Meanwhile, Helen's mother and grandmother were desperately searching for her, but she was placed in foster care soon after signing this form, having been misclassified as an unaccompanied minor.
https://twitter.com/SeanLavery/statu...80854391656449

Quote:
A lot of people making the great point that the form would be hard for Helen to read because she's five. Additionally it would be hard to read because she's from Honduras and this form is in English.
Document and article embedded in tweets.

Last edited by Squeegee Beckenheim; 12th October 2018 at 03:27 AM.
Squeegee Beckenheim is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2018, 04:08 AM   #1539
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
Reminds me of actual banana republics and autocratic regimes.

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2018, 04:27 AM   #1540
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

This is where my mind just boggles. What kind of judge would accept a form signed by a five year old, without representation, in a language she doesn't speak? What kind of lawyer would get a five year old to sign it, and sit there while she practiced writing her name? There's too many people involved here for them all to be racist dickbags. Some of them, probably most of them, are otherwise basically good people who still sleep well at night thinking they're doing a basically good thing in denying basic human rights to these children. We're well into the "banality of evil" phase.
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2018, 04:46 AM   #1541
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Beelzebuddy View Post
This is where my mind just boggles. What kind of judge would accept a form signed by a five year old, without representation, in a language she doesn't speak? What kind of lawyer would get a five year old to sign it, and sit there while she practiced writing her name? There's too many people involved here for them all to be racist dickbags. Some of them, probably most of them, are otherwise basically good people who still sleep well at night thinking they're doing a basically good thing in denying basic human rights to these children. We're well into the "banality of evil" phase.
Just following orders.

Old 12th October 2018, 04:48 AM   #1542
The Great Zaganza
Philosopher

All of these people assume that civil rights lawyers won't be able to find these victims after deportation.
Old 12th October 2018, 07:03 AM   #1543
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

https://twitter.com/GretchenKoch/sta...35766131941376

Quote:
The form says “child’s signature.”
This is by design. This is not a stopgap. This is our government deciding that a 5 year old child can give informed consent to waive her rights.
Full form embedded in tweet.
Old 12th October 2018, 07:31 AM   #1544
Belz...
Fiend God

I'm going to start to lobby for driver's licenses for children over 4 years of age.

Old 12th October 2018, 09:53 AM   #1545
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

Well, to be fair, the President isn't much more mature than her.
Old 12th October 2018, 11:42 AM   #1546
Stacko
Philosopher

Jesus ******* Christ!

Quote:
The White House is actively considering plans that could again separate parents and children at the U.S.-Mexico border, hoping to reverse soaring numbers of families attempting to cross illegally into the United States, according to several administration officials with direct knowledge of the effort.

One option under consideration is for the government to detain asylum-seeking families together for up to 20 days, then give parents a choice: Stay in family detention with your child for months or years as your immigration case proceeds, or allow children to be taken to a government shelter so other relatives or guardians can seek custody.

That option — called “binary choice” — is one of several under consideration amid the president’s frustration over border security. He has been unable to fulfill key promises to build a border wall and end what he calls “catch and release,” a process that began under past administrations in which most detained families are quickly freed to await immigration hearings. The number of migrant family members arrested and charged with illegally crossing the border jumped 38 percent in August, and are now at record levels, according to DHS officials.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2018, 11:48 AM   #1547
Belz...
Fiend God

That is so messed up. If they're really concerned about illigal immigration, and I guess they should, why not simply turn those people away if they don't choose option 1?

Old 12th October 2018, 01:26 PM   #1548
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post

At least we can rest assured, secure in the knowledge that it can't happen here.

Oh ... wait.

Old 13th October 2018, 02:33 AM   #1549
Aridas

Trump's prison camp for migrant children is set to cost taxpayers a fortune

Quote:
The Trump administration’s “temporary” prison camp for migrant kids in Tornillo, Texas, isn’t just child abuse with a tent over it, it’s also costing taxpayers an arm and a leg. Every child jailed there by officials costs $750 per night, the Huffington Post reports.

The costs will become astronomical once the prison camp reaches full capacity. When it opened earlier this summer, it had 400 beds. But the Trump administration has already extended this “temporary” prison camp three times, shuffling children there by the hundreds every week under the cover of night so they won’t escape. By the end of the year, capacity could reach 3,800 jailed children.

“For every month that the Trump administration locks up a single undocumented minor in the Texas desert,” the Huffington Post continues, “it pays more than the annual cost of putting a student through state college, complete with room and board.” By comparison, detaining a child in a physical detention center costs $256 per bed per night. But children do not belong in jail, and putting them in humane, proven alternatives to detention with their families costs just $6 a day. Better yet, release them to sponsors, who are oftentimes relatives.
It's a classic Trump deal, by the sound of it. Instead of choosing the $6 a night option that's generally better all around to spend taxpayer dollars on, it's the lower quality $750 a night option.

He's doing an incredible job of increasing government waste!
Old 13th October 2018, 02:58 AM   #1550
Baylor
Philosopher

Yeah, because people risk their lives by the millions to illegally enter those countries.
Baylor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2018, 02:59 AM   #1551
Baylor
Philosopher

That is so messed up. If they're really concerned about illigal immigration, and I guess they should, why not simply turn those people away if they don't choose option 1?
Because they come right back. Where do you live, under a rock?
Baylor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2018, 04:37 AM   #1552
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Baylor View Post
Yeah, because people risk their lives by the millions to illegally enter those countries.
....obviously, and I can't believe I have to explain this to you, this wasn't the point of comparison.

Quote:
Because they come right back. Where do you live, under a rock?
What makes you think I didn't know that? What does this have to do with not taking away their children?

Old 13th October 2018, 06:17 AM   #1553
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

Trump's prison camp for migrant children is set to cost taxpayers a fortune

It's a classic Trump deal, by the sound of it. Instead of choosing the $6 a night option that's generally better all around to spend taxpayer dollars on, it's the lower quality $750 a night option.

He's doing an incredible job of increasing government waste!
But isn't it all worth it to prevent a misdemeanor that has no clear net economic effect on the U.S.?

(#sarcasm)
Old 13th October 2018, 06:31 AM   #1554
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

From that article:

Quote:
Now stage three has commenced—one in which separations are done quietly, lupe’s Tania Chavez asserts, and in which reunifications can be mysteriously stymied. According to recent Department of Justice numbers—released because of an ongoing A.C.L.U. lawsuit challenging family separations—a hundred and thirty-six children who fall within the lawsuit’s scope are still in government custody. An uncounted number of separated children in shelters and foster care fall outside the lawsuit’s current purview—including many like Helen, who arrived with a grandparent or other guardian, rather than with a parent. Many such children have been misclassified, in government paperwork, as “unaccompanied minors,” due to a sloppy process that the Department of Homeland Security’s Office of the Inspector General recently critiqued. Chavez believes that, through misclassification, many kids have largely disappeared from public view, and from official statistics, with the federal government showing little urgency to hasten reunifications. (O.R.R. and U.S. Customs and Border Protection did not respond to requests for comment.)
I have no reason to doubt that - how many more red flags do fence-sitters need before realising that this administration doesn't care about the rule of law?
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2018, 07:40 AM   #1555
Stacko
Philosopher

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
From that article:

I have no reason to doubt that - how many more red flags do fence-sitters need before realising that this administration doesn't care about the rule of law?
The worst part is that it's not just Trump and Nielsen, there's a long line of people down to the lawyer who did this that each had a choice to respect the law and that child's rights and instead they chose the opposite.
Old 13th October 2018, 02:07 PM   #1556
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

This is where my mind just boggles. What kind of judge would accept a form signed by a five year old, without representation, in a language she doesn't speak? ...
One like Kavanaugh.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics