IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2020 elections , congressional elections , david perdue , Georgia elections , Jon Ossoff , Kelly Loeffler , Raphael Warnock

Old 6th January 2021, 07:52 AM   #241
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Retweeted

Tomi Lahren
@TomiLahren
I wonder when the water main is gonna burst in Georgia....

Democrats scrounging up votes from mystical places again....

The steal is in the making in Georgia. Wait for it.

Kayleigh McEnany
@kayleighmcenany
Why are they stopping the vote count in Democrat Chatham county, Georgia?
This sounds familiar!
Exactly as predicted.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 07:54 AM   #242
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Exactly as predicted.
Yep. The only evidence they need to be convinced that Democrats cheated is the Democrats won. It's circular reasoning, the same thought process that has them in the Trump cult.
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 08:02 AM   #243
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Trump saying that the Georgia Run-off was "stolen" with "fake votes" that got "found" was so inevitable that when it actually happened I felt no new emotion.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 08:03 AM   #244
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Exactly as predicted.
See, this election was going to be so much better because there were going to be lots more poll observers to make sure everything was on the up-and-up.

But, apparently, that wasn't good enough. Damn those democrats are masterminds!
Old 6th January 2021, 08:05 AM   #245
carlosy
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by turingtest View Post
This from a guy who specifically asked someone to just find 11,780 votes for him two months after an election he lost...
So even though he is still POTUS, Dems are showing him how to find votes and ballots. He can't even win in being a fraud.

Damn, what a looser
carlosy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 08:09 AM   #246
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

"Damn they need to finish hurrying up and counting those votes so I know exactly how many votes (+1) to tell Georgia to find for me" - Donald Trump, probably.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 08:12 AM   #247
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

There was a report of a pause in the counting last night because of some sort of "glitch". For the Republicans, that's going to cause a focus like Sauron's Eye looking at the ring when Frodo puts it on.
Old 6th January 2021, 08:30 AM   #248
TellyKNeasuss
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
Thankfully by this time tomorrow the election will be officially certified and our long national nightmare will be all but over.

Unfortunately, I worry about what Trump's refusal to concede might lead some of his most radical followers to do. I think there will be blood. People who truly believe that the election was stolen, I don't what they might attempt to do in their desperation. That's my worry going forward. Trump may leave office but he can still cause trouble. Will angry mobs of armed Trump supporters who think the election was stolen descend on Washington?
More likely on Jan. 20 than today. I think that a lot of Trump supporters are as delusional as Trump and still believe that somehow convincing evidence that Trump actually won the election will magically appear.

TellyKNeasuss is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 08:39 AM   #249
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Was Trump's complaining about the GA presidential vote "fraud" a wind-up for these runoff's, casting doubt on the state's ability to hold fair and legal elections? Was he doing something for someone else?

Nah.
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 08:42 AM   #250
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

These scoundrels are only toying with the @sendavidperdue (a great guy) vote. Just didn’t want to announce quite yet. They’ve got as many ballots as are necessary. Rigged Election!
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 09:03 AM   #251
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur

There was a short interview with Senator Elect Warnock on GMA this morning..

Stephanopoulos asked him how he thought Trump's contesting the GA elections affected Warnock's win, and Warnock would not address the question.. He said he would leave that up to the pundits and stay focused on getting his constituents the relief they need.

Class act..

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 6th January 2021, 09:43 AM   #252
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Resume View Post
Was Trump's complaining about the GA presidential vote "fraud" a wind-up for these runoff's, casting doubt on the state's ability to hold fair and legal elections? Was he doing something for someone else?

Nah.
Telling your supporters that their state is rigging elections is telling them that they shouldn't even try. It only hurt Republican turnout. There's every chance that demographic changes would turn Georgia consistently blue anyway but I think Trump accelerated the process. In that sense, I guess he did help someone else: Everyone desperate for Mitch McConnell to lose most of his power.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 09:46 AM   #253
Tero
Master Poster

Trump Tweets

These scoundrels are only toying with the @sendavidperdue (a great guy) vote. Just didnít want to announce quite yet. Theyíve got as many ballots as are necessary. Rigged Election!
11,780?

Politics blog: https://esapolitics.blogspot.com/
Tero is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 10:33 AM   #254
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Babbylonian View Post
Telling your supporters that their state is rigging elections is telling them that they shouldn't even try. It only hurt Republican turnout. .
It also didn't help when he went to a rally for the candidates and called for a candidate to come join him on stage while the candidate was home quarantining due to COVID exposure.

That takes a special kind of cluelessness.
Old 6th January 2021, 10:39 AM   #255
Armitage72
Philosopher

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
It also didn't help when he went to a rally for the candidates and called for a candidate to come join him on stage while the candidate was home quarantining due to COVID exposure.

That takes a special kind of cluelessness.

I saw someone mention that he also got Kelly Loeffler's name wrong, calling her Karen.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 10:52 AM   #256
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by turingtest View Post
I like what this guy had to say back in 2016- (Twitter)

Though I do think "destroyed" is a little strong. I'm hoping the GOP will at least take from this loss the lesson that they don't need to fear Trump, and that sucking up to him isn't any guarantee that it will pay the dividends they hope for. Now if they can just get over this idea that the only way they can lose an election is, by definition, for the other side to have stolen it, they can still have a future as a viable party in a republic run on the principle of democracy.

(Though I could never vote for them, since I just don't agree with their basic principles, I also could never be comfortable with the idea of a one-party state, even when the one party would be the one I do mostly agree with)

Yup. John Dalberg-Acton was right when he said "Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely"

I think the destruction of the Republican party would be really bad for democracy in the USA. Strong opposition in Government is necessary in any democratic system of government - we have all seen what happens to freedoms and human rights in one-party states all over the world.
If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !

Last edited by smartcooky; 6th January 2021 at 11:01 AM.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 11:15 AM   #257
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptical Greg View Post
There was a short interview with Senator Elect Warnock on GMA this morning..

Stephanopoulos asked him how he thought Trump's contesting the GA elections affected Warnock's win, and Warnock would not address the question.. He said he would leave that up to the pundits and stay focused on getting his constituents the relief they need.

Class act..

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Not just a class act, a black man no less, and one who defeated a tall, blonde woman with a German surname!!!.

Neo-Nazis, fascists and white supremacists all over America will be spitting tacks.
If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 01:01 PM   #258
catsmate
No longer the 1

Looks like the Democrats have taken both Georgia seats.
Excellent.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 01:02 PM   #259
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
Looks like the Democrats have taken both Georgia seats.
Excellent.
Nope trumpers have all the seats at the moment.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 01:05 PM   #260
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

CNN headline: US Capitol Breached
Subheadline: Democrats on verge of taking Senate

I AGREE
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 02:10 PM   #261
Mojo
Mostly harmless

BBC news just announced that Ossoff has won.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 02:34 PM   #262
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

CNN just called it for Ossof. Pretty much a footnote with what is going on todayl

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 02:36 PM   #263
Solitaire
Neoclinus blanchardi

Originally Posted by Mader Levap View Post
I mean fall of american empire. When all is said and done (and murdered a lot),
USA may still exist, but it will be very, very different.

This idea feels very old now.

Even the Simpsons Treehouse of Horrors show a year after the election
of Trump had a gravestone titled, "The American Century, 1916 - 2016".

P. S. I think Woodrow Wilson coined the phrase.
Old 6th January 2021, 07:44 PM   #264
Silly Green Monkey
Cowardly Lurking in the Shadows of Greatness

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Yup. John Dalberg-Acton was right when he said "Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely"

I think the destruction of the Republican party would be really bad for democracy in the USA. Strong opposition in Government is necessary in any democratic system of government - we have all seen what happens to freedoms and human rights in one-party states all over the world.
Another party would simply replace it. You've not felt the absence of the Whig party this long century have you?
Old 6th January 2021, 08:10 PM   #265
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

On a Normal day, the Demcorats taking the majority would totally dominate the news, but after what happened today it's what used to be called "back page news".

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 08:11 PM   #266
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
On a Normal day, the Demcorats taking the majority would totally dominate the news, but after what happened today it's what used to be called "back page news".
Before or after record hospitiliztion from the ongoing plague?
Old 6th January 2021, 08:15 PM   #267
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Oh yeah, that's still a thing. I wonder how many of this technically-not-a-coup mob is going to come down with the 'rona from this? I can't help but hope it's a lot of them.
Old 6th January 2021, 08:23 PM   #268
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Kayleigh McEnany tweeted

@kayleighmcenany
Does anyone truly believe that an anti-military, anti-police, Fidel Castro-inviting, Reverend Wright-loving Marxist embroiled in a child abuse scandal won fairly in the state of Georgia?

I DON’T‼️
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 08:33 PM   #269
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Kayleigh McEnany tweeted

@kayleighmcenany
Does anyone truly believe that an anti-military, anti-police, Fidel Castro-inviting, Reverend Wright-loving Marxist embroiled in a child abuse scandal won fairly in the state of Georgia?

I DONíT‼️
Is this scum carrying water for Diaper Don, or is she just scum?
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 08:52 PM   #270
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Resume View Post
Is this scum carrying water for Diaper Don, or is she just scum?
Yes.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 08:59 PM   #271
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Just points out how shocking this even was.
This is one of those events that, anybody of an age to be aware, will rememever where they were and what they were doing when they first heard about the Capitol building being stromed.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 6th January 2021, 09:05 PM   #272
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Just points out how shocking this even was.
This is one of those events that, anybody of an age to be aware, will rememever where they were and what they were doing when they first heard about the Capitol building being stromed.
It should be. But as I said earlier, just how shocking is it?

And it should be shocking that numbers of deaths and hospitalizations for Covid-19... sorry the Wuhan Flu China Plague... are climbing to the highest level they have been.

But hey, there's an attempted coup going on so.... whachagonnado!
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 10:46 PM   #273
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Ossoff now leads by 35,615 votes, but more importantly, by 0.8% which puts him outside the 0.5% margin for an automatic recount.

NYT needle still predicting 1.1%

Last edited by smartcooky; 6th January 2021 at 10:51 PM.
Old 7th January 2021, 02:06 AM   #274
Firestone
Proud Award Award recipient

When will Loeffler and Perdue concede?
Old 7th January 2021, 02:20 AM   #275
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Firestone View Post
Never ?

When will Loeffler and Perdue start their legal challenges to the results ?
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 02:22 AM   #276
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Kayleigh McEnany tweeted

@kayleighmcenany

I DONíT‼️
Those dog whistles sure are loud....
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 02:24 AM   #277
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

never
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 02:25 AM   #278
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
never
Just following Diaper Don's lead.
Old 8th January 2021, 12:37 AM   #279
Firestone
Proud Award Award recipient

Loeffler concedes.

Quote:
Georgia Sen. Kelly Loeffler, the Republican incumbent, conceded her Senate runoff to Democratic Sen.-elect Raphael Warnock on Thursday -- two days after Election Day and CNN and after several other news organizations projected Warnock the winner.

Loeffler thanked her supporters in a video and said she had called Warnock to offer her congratulations.

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/01/07/p...ock/index.html

Ossoff up by 40k votes, and 1%.
The NYT kneedle knew!

(Perdue still not conceded.)

Last edited by Firestone; 8th January 2021 at 12:39 AM.
Firestone is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2021, 04:54 AM   #280
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
Loeffler concedes.

Ossoff up by 40k votes, and 1%.
The NYT kneedle knew!

(Perdue still not conceded.)
Pretty remarkable shift in just two months, because Perdue missed the 50 % direct win threshold in the first round by only about 15k votes.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics