IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Trials and Errors

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags eric trump , New York cases , Trump Organization

Old 19th January 2022, 06:19 PM   #1
Ranb
Penultimate Amazing

Eric Trump Invokes 5th

Eric Trump Invoked Fifth Amendment About 500 Times, N.Y. AG Says
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...es-n-y-ag-says

Quote:
Eric Trump invoked the Fifth Amendment more than 500 times when the Trump Organization executive vice president was deposed as part of a civil probe into the company’s asset valuations, New York’s top law enforcement officer told a judge.
I wonder if Eric Trump got advice from his father before he invoked his 5th Amendment rights?

Ranb

Last edited by Ranb; 19th January 2022 at 07:00 PM.
Ranb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2022, 06:21 PM   #2
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Only the Mafia invokes the 5th. Or so I'm told.

ETA. Eric is probably too dumb to pass the Mafia Henchman Exam level 1.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2022, 07:22 PM   #3
webfusion
Philosopher

Also, it has been reported that the Trump Organization provided a grand total of 3 documents from Donald himself, to the NY A-G in response to a subpoena issued more than two years ago. "Only three of more than 5 million documents the company handed over in the two years since were actually produced by Mr. Trump."
https://news.yahoo.com/trump-organiz...194747881.html
webfusion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2022, 10:55 PM   #4
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Eric:" Daddy, do you love me?"
DJT:"I plead the Fifth."

- Robert M. Pirsig
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2022, 05:05 AM   #5
cmikes
Muse

Never talk to the police.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Also, this investigation has been going on since Trump announced he was running for president, if there was anything to find it would have been found by now. Especially since it's a tax investigation and the tax code is so complicated that you can go to five different tax lawyers and get five different answers on what's legal and what's not.

Last edited by zooterkin; 20th January 2022 at 11:30 AM. Reason: Fixing YouTube link
cmikes is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2022, 05:37 AM   #6
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by cmikes View Post
Never talk to the police.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Also, this investigation has been going on since Trump announced he was running for president, if there was anything to find it would have been found by now. Especially since it's a tax investigation and the tax code is so complicated that you can go to five different tax lawyers and get five different answers on what's legal and what's not.
Yeah, the Trumps are dirty as hell, but invoking the 5th when questioned by people trying to imprison you is pretty much always the right move. Don't talk to the cops who are trying to imprison you is good advice for the Trumps and for everyone else. Guilty people and innocent people alike should (and do) invoke the fifth.

The worst part of having a criminal president like Trump is seeing liberals, who have traditionally been much better about civil rights issues, becoming rabid pro-cop fanatics and repeating stupid axioms like invoking the 5th is a indication of guilt.

I very much hope the NY AG nails this criminal family to the wall. The Trump fail-son invoking the 5th is not a useful data point.

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 20th January 2022 at 05:44 AM.
SuburbanTurkey is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2022, 05:39 AM   #7
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

There is a big difference between not talking to authorities without decent legal representation and pleading the 5th.

- Robert M. Pirsig
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2022, 05:43 AM   #8
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
There is a big difference between not talking to authorities without decent legal representation and pleading the 5th.
Decent legal representation is going to advise people to not help the cops build a case against you. Innocent people with legal representation are extremely frequently counseled to invoke the 5th.

There's so much good, juicy indications of guilt in the Trump dumpster fire, it's maddening that such nonsense is being repeated.
Old 20th January 2022, 05:45 AM   #9
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Sure, obviously the correct answer is, "It's not wrong to take the 5th."

The problem, and the main reason Eric Trump is getting flak for it, is because it was the President Trump who insisted that only the mafia takes the 5th.
Old 20th January 2022, 05:52 AM   #10
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post

The problem, and the main reason Eric Trump is getting flak for it, is because it was the President Trump who insisted that only the mafia takes the 5th.
I'm just bracing myself for more "justice is coming" type media fervor from the braindead pundits. I really thought the big wet fart that was the Mueller investigation would have been the end of that, but I'm sure every minor procedural update in this investigation is going to be trumpeted as the death knell for the Trumps.

ETA:

Originally Posted by Occupy Democrats
BREAKING: New York investigators announce that Eric Trump “pleaded the Fifth” over 500 times when interviewed about his family’s tax fraud, although his daddy Donald said, “only the mob pleads the Fifth” while attacking Hillary in 2016. RT IF YOU THINK THAT THE TRUMPS ARE GUILTY!
https://twitter.com/search?q=fifth&src=typed_query

This is the kind of nonsense I'm talking about.

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 20th January 2022 at 05:58 AM.
SuburbanTurkey is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2022, 08:29 AM   #11
Planigale
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Ranb View Post
Eric Trump Invoked Fifth Amendment About 500 Times, N.Y. AG Says
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...es-n-y-ag-says

I wonder if Eric Trump got advice from his father before he invoked his 5th Amendment rights?

Ranb
So how many times was he asked the same question in slightly different ways? It is not as if the AG is 'innocent' in this he must have put 500 questions to ET knowing that a competent lawyer would advise him to decline to answer.
Planigale is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2022, 10:43 AM   #12
Ranb
Penultimate Amazing

I can't see YouTube at work, but if the link above is the law professor talking about the 5th Amendment and giving equal time to a police officer/law student, I think it is an excellent video.

I'm a huge fan of the 5th Amendment and the rights it protects. My main reason for this thread is Donald Trump's position that only criminals use 5th Amendment protections.
Ranb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2022, 10:44 AM   #13
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by webfusion View Post
Also, it has been reported that the Trump Organization provided a grand total of 3 documents from Donald himself, to the NY A-G in response to a subpoena issued more than two years ago. "Only three of more than 5 million documents the company handed over in the two years since were actually produced by Mr. Trump."
https://news.yahoo.com/trump-organiz...194747881.html
That is truly astonishing! How did he mange to produce 3 documents in that time period?
Old 20th January 2022, 11:27 AM   #14
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ranb View Post
I can't see YouTube at work, but if the link above is the law professor talking about the 5th Amendment and giving equal time to a police officer/law student, I think it is an excellent video.

I'm a huge fan of the 5th Amendment and the rights it protects. My main reason for this thread is Donald Trump's position that only criminals use 5th Amendment protections.
Exactly. He has every right to plead the fifth, but he pissed on that right before, and even if we acknowledge that he still has the right, I think we're entitled to point out the irony.

"There is another world, but it's in this one." (Paul Eluard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2022, 04:05 PM   #15
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by cmikes View Post

Whatever "investigations" that were occuring in the past were hampered by the fact that trump was president, and as such was in a position to obstruct various investigations. It has only been recently that investigators have had enough access to records to do a proper investigation.

And while some experts might give different advice on some issues, i doubt any will recommend (for example) giving property values more than 4 times higher than appraised values.

Sent from my LM-X320 using Tapatalk

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2022, 02:56 PM   #16
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
I'm just bracing myself for more "justice is coming" type media fervor from the braindead pundits. I really thought the big wet fart that was the Mueller investigation would have been the end of that, but I'm sure every minor procedural update in this investigation is going to be trumpeted as the death knell for the Trumps.

ETA:

https://twitter.com/search?q=fifth&src=typed_query

This is the kind of nonsense I'm talking about.
While I see most of those as flippant hyperbole, 3 or 4 posts prior you'd called them dirty criminals, a criminal family and a criminal president.
Pick a lane.

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2022, 04:06 PM   #17
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Jim_MDP View Post
While I see most of those as flippant hyperbole, 3 or 4 posts prior you'd called them dirty criminals, a criminal family and a criminal president.
Pick a lane.
I don't see how my two positions are irreconcilable.

The Trump fail-son taking the 5th is not indicative of much.

There's plenty of other, much better reasons to believe the whole family is involved in a variety of illegal and barely legal schemes. Paperwork showing the Trump company playing fast and loose with property valuations to either minimize taxation or to maximize collateral for loans are much more informative.
Old 23rd January 2022, 06:31 PM   #18
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
There's plenty of other, much better reasons to believe the whole family is involved in a variety of illegal and barely legal schemes.
I mean on one hand the Democrats are telling me Trump and Co are involved in shady dealings.

On the other hand Trump and Co are bragging about being involved in shady dealings.

I mean I don't know what to think. I'm so conflicted.
Old 25th January 2022, 09:01 AM   #19
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
Exactly. He has every right to plead the fifth, but he pissed on that right before, and even if we acknowledge that he still has the right, I think we're entitled to point out the irony.
Who exactly is "he"? From what I've gathered, it sounds like Donald was the one who said only the mafia pleads the 5th. But Eric is the one invoking it now. Yeah, I see the irony, but Eric still isn't Donald. So... meh.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th January 2022, 12:26 PM   #20
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
Who exactly is "he"? From what I've gathered, it sounds like Donald was the one who said only the mafia pleads the 5th. But Eric is the one invoking it now. Yeah, I see the irony, but Eric still isn't Donald. So... meh.
He would be if he could be...

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th January 2022, 02:37 PM   #21
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

And Alex Jones takes the fifth over a 100 times. I see a trend here.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th January 2022, 04:17 PM   #22
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
And Alex Jones takes the fifth over a 100 times. I see a trend here.
Ah, we sorta crossposted, I thought you were citing something old.
Has Alex just now been pleading?

"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th January 2022, 04:27 PM   #23
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

SO Eric and Alex are Mafia bosses?

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th January 2022, 04:35 PM   #24
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Now c'mon... only Sr. says that.

Old 25th January 2022, 09:47 PM   #25
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Yes, I carelessly conflated junior and senior, thus depriving the lad of credit for his youthful rebellion.

bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th January 2022, 09:57 PM   #26
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Aspirationally

- Robert M. Pirsig
Old 26th January 2022, 03:06 AM   #27
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Aspirationally
With a capital "Ass"

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th January 2022, 06:50 AM   #28
Drewbot
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Only the Mafia invokes the 5th. Or so I'm told.

ETA. Eric is probably too dumb to pass the Mafia Henchman Exam level 1.
Invoking his 5th Amendment right, actually implies higher intelligence. (Or a smart lawyer)

The effects of not understanding your constitutional rights, weighs far heavier on people of low intelligence and/or low education.
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th January 2022, 07:44 AM   #29
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Originally Posted by Drewbot View Post
Invoking his 5th Amendment right, actually implies higher intelligence. (Or a smart lawyer)

The effects of not understanding your constitutional rights, weighs far heavier on people of low intelligence and/or low education.
Indeed. I imagine his attorney is quite intelligent.
Old 26th January 2022, 08:59 PM   #30
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Resume View Post
Indeed. I imagine his attorney is quite intelligent.
Granted, knowing about the 5th indicates a little bit more intelligence than that of, say, a sack of potatoes, but not much more than a sixth grader who stayed awake in class. Less if one's attorney's license is not written in crayon. It's a start, but I would not count it too high among the lineaments of intellect.

Old 27th January 2022, 08:53 PM   #31
mgidm86
Philosopher

I think being in a position where one must plead the 5th is a pretty good indicator of lesser intelligence.
Old 27th January 2022, 09:18 PM   #32
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Yeah, getting yourself into that position means something went wrong much earlier.
And in this case, taking the 5th can be considered a sign of guilty in subsequent civil litigation, i.e. when banks come to take all the assets they can.

- Robert M. Pirsig
Old 27th January 2022, 09:22 PM   #33
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Yeah, getting yourself into that position means something went wrong much earlier.
And in this case, taking the 5th can be considered a sign of guilty in subsequent civil litigation, i.e. when banks come to take all the assets they can.
What assets?
Old 27th January 2022, 11:09 PM   #34
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by Resume View Post
What assets?
When it comes to paying debtors, those who were given fraudulent evaluations might have a case to get served first, i.e. get 10cents on their $ for Mar-a-Lago and some Hotels and golf clubs instead of nothing.

- Robert M. Pirsig
Old 28th January 2022, 01:34 AM   #35
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Drewbot View Post

I'm betting it took MONTHS to train Eric to say "I plead the fifth" consistently and accurately to any questions directed his way. Just getting him to not shoot his stupid mouth off would have been a lot of that. He was never very good in the school play either - always trouble with his lines.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2022, 05:42 AM   #36
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post

Well yeah, it was stupid when Trump said it then, and it's still stupid when people say it now.

There's a difference between the people pointing out the obvious hypocrisy and the people claiming that taking the 5th indicates some level of guilt.

Again, there's lots of very good reasons to think Trump and co and are guilty as hell, there's no reason to go chasing red herrings like this.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Trials and Errors