IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Coronavirus , India issues , India politics , Narendra Modi

Old 27th April 2021, 01:10 PM   #1
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

India going down the Dictaroship road fast...

Modi is now trying to crack down on social media because of the criticism that he has mismanaged the Covid Crisis.
Once again:Put a religious fantatic in office (or someone who built his career pandering to religious fundematlists) in charge, bad things happen, guaranteed.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th April 2021, 06:11 AM   #2
catsmate
No longer the 1

This started years ago with the toxic mix of religious bigotry and nationalism.
Rather Trumpesque.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th April 2021, 10:44 AM   #3
Garrison
Philosopher

Hard to keep people from turning on him when bodies are being burnt in car parks.
Old 28th April 2021, 12:21 PM   #4
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

And, surprise, seems as though the Russian Sputnik V vaccine which is what Modi chose to use is very unreliable;Brazil just banned it and few western coutnreis have approved it.
Guess playing up to his Authoratarian buddy Putin was more important to Modi then actually choosing a good vaccine.
I have a sick feeling it is too late. Of course we should try to help ..enlightened self interest:you know with these numbers the virus will mutate like crazy...but I don't know how the flood will be stemmed.
One fear: Modi will sabre rattle with Pakistan to divert attention. And by far the most likely scenario for a nuclear exchange is a Pakistan/India crisis going out of control.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th April 2021, 12:37 PM   #5
Belz...
Fiend God

Russian tech unreliable? Shock!

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th April 2021, 12:41 PM   #6
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Russian tech unreliable? Shock!
My thought exactly.
Remember that super Russian Fighter a few years ago that Putin said was going to make all the fighters of the Western World obsolete?
Have not heard much about that recently.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 28th April 2021, 01:28 PM   #7
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
My thought exactly.
Remember that super Russian Fighter a few years ago that Putin said was going to make all the fighters of the Western World obsolete?
Or the fancy robot that turned out to be a guy in a suit...
ponderingturtle is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th April 2021, 02:26 PM   #8
catsmate
No longer the 1

Or the mechs, the intercontinental hypersonic cruise missiles, stealth plasma shields, the intercontinental torpedoes, the geophysical disrupter, the invisibility cloak, the technomagic EMP ray, the 'zombie gun', the red mercury grenade, the torsion field generator......
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th April 2021, 10:20 PM   #9
gypsyjackson
Graduate Poster

Wait, zombie gun?
gypsyjackson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th April 2021, 12:27 AM   #10
Susheel
Master Poster

And, surprise, seems as though the Russian Sputnik V vaccine which is what Modi chose to use is very unreliable;Brazil just banned it and few western coutnreis have approved it.....
Actually India has two vaccines in play. The most common are the Covishield (based on the Oxford/Astra Zeneca vaccine) and manufactured under license by the Serum Institute of India and the Covaxin (developed by the Indian Council of Medical Research and manufactured by Bharat Biotech under license). The Sputnik V has not been rolled out yet.
Old 29th April 2021, 12:35 AM   #11
Susheel
Master Poster

The chief minister of Uttar Pradesh, the largest state in India and the "capital" of what is essentially the cow-belt (the Indian version of the deep south bible belt) is a former temple priest and one of the poster kids of the BJP. No oxygen, no beds in hospitals, no ventilators...but his answer is to arrest anyone who asks for help over social media finding beds pr oxygen for their loved ones.
The central government has literally annexed the state of Delhi from the elected state legislature, with now the Governor's office literally being declared the government of Delhi.
Old 29th April 2021, 01:41 AM   #12
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by gypsyjackson View Post
Wait, zombie gun?
Yes, a "psychotronic mind control" device. Back in 2012, when he was really scared at the lack of actual Russian military capability, Putin and his cohorts (like Serdyukov) were spouting off about various imaginary weapons, and mentioned the supposed results of all the Russian/Soviet research into psychotronics (the real results being nothing but a few fiascos like "Kirlian auras").
The stories were fed, via the usual suspects, into the more credible and gullible elements of the press (e.g. the Fail) in order to bolster fear of Russian super-weapons and conceal the paper bear.

Forbes article.
Old 29th April 2021, 03:06 AM   #13
gypsyjackson
Graduate Poster

Thanks - I wondered if it was something more interesting than that, but it seems like the gun would have (not really) turned you into a tabloid ‘mindless zombie’ rather than the ‘trying to eat brains zombie’. Or even a gun which fired zombies.

Back to India, and the Modi/BJP approach to Covid was detailed here: https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020...icine-covid-19

Sadly we can see how effective the $300m a year ‘alternative’ medicine ministry has been in dealing with the situation.
gypsyjackson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th April 2021, 03:34 AM   #14
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

My thought exactly.
India are supposedly getting a load of them.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th April 2021, 07:56 AM   #15
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Pakistan will be delighted.

I'm not familiar enough with Indian politics, but have Modi and the BJP used the consequences of their mismanagement of the Coronavirus pandemic to further demonise non-Hindus and the lower castes ?
The Don is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th April 2021, 01:59 PM   #16
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by gypsyjackson View Post
Thanks - I wondered if it was something more interesting than that, but it seems like the gun would have (not really) turned you into a tabloid ‘mindless zombie’ rather than the ‘trying to eat brains zombie’. Or even a gun which fired zombies.

Back to India, and the Modi/BJP approach to Covid was detailed here: https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020...icine-covid-19

Sadly we can see how effective the $300m a year ‘alternative’ medicine ministry has been in dealing with the situation.
Given the basic facts of India, A huge population packed together (China has much better population dispersion) and,(I hope this is taken in the right way) realy terrible public sanitation (often on a mideval level) I think any Indian Government would have had huge problems coping with this. With an inept corrupt government led by a relgious fanatic,catastrophe was always in the cards.
MY worry is that Modi will try to turn ot a classic tactic to distract attention from a domestic crisis, and begin sabre rattling at Pakistan. SInce both countries have nuclear arsenels, that has got to make you nervous.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 30th April 2021, 02:00 PM   #17
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Good news for the Pakistani Air Force.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 30th April 2021, 02:13 PM   #18
KDLarsen
Illuminator

Given the basic facts of India, A huge population packed together (China has much better population dispersion) and,(I hope this is taken in the right way) realy terrible public sanitation (often on a mideval level) I think any Indian Government would have had huge problems coping with this. With an inept corrupt government led by a relgious fanatic,catastrophe was always in the cards.
MY worry is that Modi will try to turn ot a classic tactic to distract attention from a domestic crisis, and begin sabre rattling at Pakistan. SInce both countries have nuclear arsenels, that has got to make you nervous.
They managed to drive it down quite well over the winter, which was why Modi allowed election rallies and Hindu festivals (The Kumb Mehla surely must have been a massive superspreader event) to take place.
KDLarsen is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th April 2021, 04:05 PM   #19
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Very good piece on Modi, India and Covid here: https://www.theguardian.com/news/202...id-catastrophe
Old 30th April 2021, 10:16 PM   #20
Susheel
Master Poster

Originally Posted by KDLarsen View Post
They managed to drive it down quite well over the winter, which was why Modi allowed election rallies and Hindu festivals (The Kumb Mehla surely must have been a massive superspreader event) to take place.
No...the COVUD numbers were on the uptick even before the Kumbh Mela event. Most state governments hid or did not publish COVID data which allowed the BJP to target non-BJP states still publishing data as being incompetent. News of the actual situation in the BJP states had already begun trickling out before the Kumbh event, but the government chose to ignore it.

The government was warned that organizing the event might worsen the situation. But then, the government decided to go with superstition (the Ganga will cure everything) and instilling a false sense of confidence among the sheep. With the elections some states occurring in tandem, they did not want to publicize their incompetence in handling the pandemic.
Old 30th April 2021, 10:24 PM   #21
Orphia Nay
Penguilicious Spodmaster.
Tagger

Location: Ponylandistan Presidential Palace (above the Spods' stables).
I'm more worried about Pakistan's COVID crisis than Modi potentially starting war.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-56888541
Orphia Nay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th April 2021, 11:01 PM   #22
Susheel
Master Poster

Was scheduled for my first shot today...booked through the government portal. Arrived at the hospital this morning and was told that they had no vaccine in stock.
Old 1st May 2021, 03:15 AM   #23
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by Orphia Nay View Post
I'm more worried about Pakistan's COVID crisis than Modi potentially starting war.
Jury's out on Pakistan, but they had enough scope in their system to offer aid to India, although that might have been Imran Khan just trolling.

Their 7-day average is only marginally higher than a month ago, and has dropped in the past week, so it doesn't look too bad, but how reliable their numbers are we have no idea.
Old 1st May 2021, 06:29 PM   #24
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by Susheel View Post
Was scheduled for my first shot today...booked through the government portal. Arrived at the hospital this morning and was told that they had no vaccine in stock.
Sorry to hear that. Do you know if it was to be the Covishield vaccine or Covaxin?
Old 1st May 2021, 09:43 PM   #25
Susheel
Master Poster

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
Sorry to hear that. Do you know if it was to be the Covishield vaccine or Covaxin?
That choice is given depending on what stock is available. I heard that a large batch of the Sputnik V vaccine just landed a couple of days ago.
Incidentally, registrations for the 18-45 began on May 1. However, no stock available.
Old 1st May 2021, 10:05 PM   #26
Susheel
Master Poster

Meanwhile...
FB_IMG_1619931518883.jpg
Old 1st May 2021, 10:46 PM   #27
Orphia Nay
Tagger

Meanwhile...
Attachment 44620
I do worry how the world will supply India with enough oxygen containers.
Orphia Nay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2021, 03:22 AM   #28
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Meanwhile...
Attachment 44620
Holy crap, that's unbelievable.
Old 2nd May 2021, 05:31 AM   #29
catsmate
No longer the 1

Meanwhile...
Attachment 44620
????
Transmutation?
Old 2nd May 2021, 11:05 AM   #30
Susheel
Master Poster

Yeah...but then our Prime Minster wanted to research generating Oxygen from wind turbines.
Old 2nd May 2021, 01:19 PM   #31
catsmate
No longer the 1

Yeah...but then our Prime Minster wanted to research generating Oxygen from wind turbines.
That's vastly more practical than transmutation of nitrogen. Use turbines to run chillers and compressors for air and fractionally distill the liquid air as usual.
Old 2nd May 2021, 04:49 PM   #32
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
????
Transmutation?
Alchemy lives!

Robert Heinlein.
Old 3rd May 2021, 12:14 AM   #33
Susheel
Master Poster

Results of the Assembly elections have been mixed...BJP still retains its hold in Assam but loses 3 seats in the state assembly; Assam has been the petri dish for testing out some of the BJP's more regressive (bordering on fascist) policies.
Massive lead for the Communists in Kerala, with BJP losing the single-seat they had; The local Congress party that more or less served as the BJP B-Team was also miserably trounced. Their strategy was to try and outdo the BJP's attempts to portray themselves as the saviours of Hinduism.
They expected a runaway win in the state of Pondicherry, but are currently in second place, gaining 5 seats though;
West Bengal was a huge blow....buoyed up by some high-profile recruits and floor-crossing from the incumbent party, they were expecting to form the government. However, the TMC managed to retain the absolute majority with the BJP managing to gain a significant number of seats.
Tamil Nadu, the BJP puppet government by the regional AIADMK lost 57 seats and gave DMK the majority. BJP however managed to gain 3 seats bringing there total to 4/234.
Hopefully, this will be the beginning of the end for BJP. However, the clarion call of "Hindu khatre mein hai" (Hindus are in danger) is too much of a dog whistle for many to ignore.

Last edited by Susheel; 3rd May 2021 at 12:16 AM. Reason: formatting and more detail
Susheel is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd May 2021, 12:32 AM   #34
Lukraak_Sisser
Illuminator

Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
????
Transmutation?
It would only need a single proton and neutron capture. How hard can that be?
Lukraak_Sisser is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd May 2021, 01:33 AM   #35
Susheel
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Lukraak_Sisser View Post
I guess there must be a particle accelerator and a collider lying around.
Old 3rd May 2021, 05:41 AM   #36
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by Lukraak_Sisser View Post
I guess there must be a particle accelerator and a collider lying around.

One of my SOs works extensively with Farnsworth Fusors and a couple of years ago one of her graduate students wanted to make plutonium with them, alas not enough neutrons....

On a serious note, liquification and distillation of air really needs large plants for economies of scale.
Old 3rd May 2021, 06:06 AM   #37
angrysoba
Philosophile

Meanwhile...
Attachment 44620
From Twitter:

Nitrogen and Oxygen respond: "NO"
Old 3rd May 2021, 10:20 PM   #38
Orphia Nay
Tagger

Results of the Assembly elections have been mixed...BJP still retains its hold in Assam but loses 3 seats in the state assembly; Assam has been the petri dish for testing out some of the BJP's more regressive (bordering on fascist) policies.
Massive lead for the Communists in Kerala, with BJP losing the single-seat they had; The local Congress party that more or less served as the BJP B-Team was also miserably trounced. Their strategy was to try and outdo the BJP's attempts to portray themselves as the saviours of Hinduism.
They expected a runaway win in the state of Pondicherry, but are currently in second place, gaining 5 seats though;
West Bengal was a huge blow....buoyed up by some high-profile recruits and floor-crossing from the incumbent party, they were expecting to form the government. However, the TMC managed to retain the absolute majority with the BJP managing to gain a significant number of seats.
Tamil Nadu, the BJP puppet government by the regional AIADMK lost 57 seats and gave DMK the majority. BJP however managed to gain 3 seats bringing there total to 4/234.
Hopefully, this will be the beginning of the end for BJP. However, the clarion call of "Hindu khatre mein hai" (Hindus are in danger) is too much of a dog whistle for many to ignore.
I'm optimistic that as India modernises quickly, it will outgrow its jingoistic and partisan tendencies.

Thanks for that update.
Old 4th May 2021, 12:16 AM   #39
Susheel
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Orphia Nay View Post
I'm optimistic that as India modernizes quickly, it will outgrow its jingoistic and partisan tendencies.

Thanks for that update.
A major vote bank for Modi is the urban elite particularly from the tech and financial sectors. Most of them are upper caste Indians who constantly live in this weird fantasy where they are victims of the "reservation policies" (affirmative action policies) ensuring equitable access to education for the lower caste, marginalized and underserved communities in India.
The director of one of India's leading, state run tech universities, IIT-Kharagpur- is a major proponent of the "all science began in India" and "we new of gene editing, aerospace engineering even in ancient times," myths.
Old 4th May 2021, 12:37 AM   #40
Susheel
Master Poster

Also I don't think modernization has anything to do with reactionary bigotry. In fact, it seems to become more entrenched as a result of "modernization".

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics