IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 26th November 2021, 11:44 PM   #1
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

Network Upgrade took out both of my phones

Well this is funny...

Last week, my mobile (cell) phone suddenly stopped working.

The provider advised that there were tower upgrades going on in my area, and the outage would be very temporary.

It wasn't.

I pulled out my back-up phone, and found that it could no longer connect either.

Days went by, where I tried everything I could think of, and the provider continued to advise me that things would be working 'real soon'.

Of course, there are some things that require SMS for two-factor authentication, and that meant I was locked out. (Neither phone was able to do SMS via WiFi)

The provider recommended that I pick up a free, new SIM card, so that I could at least use phone over internet so that I could keep going while they tried to work out the network issue.

Hey presto! New SIMS and both phones were immediately working perfectly again.

My best guess?

There's been some kind of protocol change, and my old SIMS were not able to use the new protocol.

Four days of hassles that I could really have done without.

Both phones are now showing new features, so I've learned something else.

Android doesn't show features if the SIM card doesn't support them.

Old 29th November 2021, 04:48 AM   #2
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

I thought a SIM was pretty much just a piece of smart memory.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2021, 05:17 AM   #3
Crazy Chainsaw
Philosopher

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
I thought a SIM was pretty much just a piece of smart memory.
It is, basically a registration code and information about the phone,
Android will not display apps if the phones software does not support them, nor does Apple nstalling the wrong App could cause the phone to crash.
Crazy Chainsaw is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2021, 04:51 PM   #4
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

Actually, no.

From wikipedia:

A SIM card contains a unique serial number (ICCID), international mobile subscriber identity (IMSI) number, security authentication and ciphering information, temporary information related to the local network, a list of the services the user has access to, and two passwords: a personal identification number (PIN) for ordinary use, and a personal unblocking key (PUK) for PIN unlocking. In Europe, the serial SIM number (SSN) is also sometimes accompanied by an international article number (IAN) or a European article number (EAN) required when registering online for the subscription of a prepaid card.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SIM_card

So, as I said, it's most likely the network upgrade dropped a protocol that my SIM was trying to use. (Or telling the phone to use if you prefer)

Note that the second highlighted item above explains why new features became available with the insertion of the new SIM card.

Going back to the conversation with one of the technical support staff online:

"I can see that your account allows using the internet for making calls and sending receiving SMS via the internet, perhaps your SIM card doesn't support that? Pop into one of our stores for a free replacement SIM card, that should cure that problem at least."

Perhaps they should have said: "Perhaps your SIM card doesn't list that as an available service?"

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet