IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Reply
Old 9th December 2021, 12:05 PM   #1
Cainkane1
Philosopher
 
Cainkane1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: The great American southeast
Posts: 8,992
Science Fiction from a now defunct comix company

There used to be comic book publishers who tried to compete with the Marvel comics and Superman DC comix's. Heres one of their stranger stories.

These ugly albeit humanoid aliens were pointing a large cannon like ray gun at the planet earth. They were ugly sinister aliens bent upon the annilation of the human race.

Somehow some human heros tricked these aliens into pointing this weapon at their own planet. They fired and to the dleight of their human foes destroyed their own civilization instead of ours.

I was a small child but I thought why destroy an entire civilization just because of two bad aliens from that planet?
__________________
If at first you don't succeed try try again. Then if you fail to succeed to Hell with that. Try something else.
Cainkane1 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2021, 12:27 PM   #2
TheGoldcountry
Philosopher
 
TheGoldcountry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 6,700
Maybe we were accidentally eating their young because we thought they were boneless chicken wings.

In which case, a real tragedy.
__________________
I have no idea what you're trying to say, but I'm still pretty sure that you're wrong. -Akhenaten
I sometimes think the Bible was inspired by Satan to make God look bad. And then it backfired on Him when He underestimated the stupidity of religious ideologues. -MontagK505
TheGoldcountry is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2021, 01:10 PM   #3
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur
 
Skeptical Greg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Just past ' Resume Speed ' .
Posts: 17,846
Quote:
They fired and to the dleight of their human foes destroyed their own civilization instead of ours.
Sounds like a Galactic Darwin Award would be in order...
__________________
" The main problem I have with the idea of heaven, is the thought of
spending eternity with most of the people who claim to be going there. "
Skeptical Greg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2021, 09:14 PM   #4
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised
 
shemp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: People's Democratic Republic of Planet X
Posts: 47,665
Originally Posted by Cainkane1 View Post
There used to be comic book publishers who tried to compete with the Marvel comics and Superman DC comix's. Heres one of their stranger stories.

These ugly albeit humanoid aliens were pointing a large cannon like ray gun at the planet earth. They were ugly sinister aliens bent upon the annilation of the human race.

Somehow some human heros tricked these aliens into pointing this weapon at their own planet. They fired and to the dleight of their human foes destroyed their own civilization instead of ours.

I was a small child but I thought why destroy an entire civilization just because of two bad aliens from that planet?

It's a metaphor. The aliens are Republicans.
__________________
Every time you feed a troll, God kills a kitten. Please stop killing kittens.

No Klingon would put up with the GOP's ********.

When you least expect it... EXPECT IT!
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th December 2021, 07:09 AM   #5
Armitage72
Philosopher
 
Armitage72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 6,907
A similar premise was used on The Outer Limits, with aliens tricking a group of human soldiers into thinking they were using a doomsday weapon on the alien homeworld, when they were actually attacking Earth.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th December 2021, 07:55 AM   #6
sackett
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Detroit
Posts: 7,414
In the Sunday comics of the 50s, Buck Rogers was once caught and forced to stand holding his arm over his head. His wrist was tied to the trigger of the Martians' fiendish moon-based Atomical Cannon aimed at New York. Buck's sidekicks managed to re-aim the cannon at Marsopolis, the capital of (can you guess?). When Buck finally fainted and pulled the trigger, Zorg, Evil Emperor and Gang Boss of the Red* and Menacing Planet, rejoiced evilly in the last panel. He got the bad news in next week's installment.

* I said it was the 50s.
__________________
If you would learn a man's character, give him authority.

If you would ruin a man's character, let him seize power.
sackett is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th December 2021, 09:36 AM   #7
Lithrael
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 2,344
Yeah, a lot of very early sci fi was like that as well. I recall the intrepid heroes poisoning a civilian city to death in the Lensman stuff, of course it was called for as the aliens in question figured ‘spacefaring’ didn’t count as ‘intelligent’ for reasons that I assume were clearer to the author than to the audience. Metaphorical or something.
Lithrael is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th December 2021, 10:01 AM   #8
sackett
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Detroit
Posts: 7,414
The genre isn't good for much else

Originally Posted by Lithrael View Post
Yeah, a lot of very early sci fi was like that as well. I recall the intrepid heroes poisoning a civilian city to death in the Lensman stuff, of course it was called for as the aliens in question figured ‘spacefaring’ didn’t count as ‘intelligent’ for reasons that I assume were clearer to the author than to the audience. Metaphorical or something.
Sci fi is pretty much always metaphorical if you care to read it that way. Tepid, stale, flabby, old-hat metaphorical, natch.
__________________
If you would learn a man's character, give him authority.

If you would ruin a man's character, let him seize power.
sackett is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th December 2021, 10:36 AM   #9
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing
 
Brainster's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 18,745
I always found it amusing that there were two basic types of "the aliens are here," stories:

A. The aliens pretend to be nice guys but secretly they have an evil plan.
B. The aliens are nice guys but the stupid humans are too afraid they have an evil plan and so we miss out on the wonderful things the aliens intended to give us.
__________________
My new blog: Recent Reads.
1960s Comic Book Nostalgia
Visit the Screw Loose Change blog.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th December 2021, 12:04 PM   #10
JimOfAllTrades
Muse
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 875
Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
I always found it amusing that there were two basic types of "the aliens are here," stories:

A. The aliens pretend to be nice guys but secretly they have an evil plan.
B. The aliens are nice guys but the stupid humans are too afraid they have an evil plan and so we miss out on the wonderful things the aliens intended to give us.
That was one of things I liked about "Childhood's End" by Arthur C. Clarke. It seems like it might be a type B story from your list, but it turns out the humans do learn and in the end they get the "prize". Still an interesting story after all these years.
JimOfAllTrades is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th December 2021, 02:14 PM   #11
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur
 
Skeptical Greg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Just past ' Resume Speed ' .
Posts: 17,846
" We come to serve man. "
__________________
" The main problem I have with the idea of heaven, is the thought of
spending eternity with most of the people who claim to be going there. "
Skeptical Greg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th December 2021, 11:27 PM   #12
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing
 
smartcooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
Posts: 21,089
Originally Posted by Skeptical Greg View Post
" We come to serve man. "
Leather Goddesses of Phobos
__________________
Science supplies evidence, invites you to analyse and evaluate that evidence, and then to draw conclusions from that
Religion supplies no evidence, demands you have faith, and expects you to uncritically and automatically believe that something is true simply because "the Bible tells you so"
If you don't like my posts, opinions, or directness then put me on your ignore list!
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th December 2021, 11:31 PM   #13
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing
 
smartcooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
Posts: 21,089
Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
I always found it amusing that there were two basic types of "the aliens are here," stories:

A. The aliens pretend to be nice guys but secretly they have an evil plan.
B. The aliens are nice guys but the stupid humans are too afraid they have an evil plan and so we miss out on the wonderful things the aliens intended to give us.
The Day the Earth Stood Still (the real 1951 version, not the crappy one with Surfboy!)

....and before anyone else gets to say it.... Klaatu Barada Nikto
__________________
Science supplies evidence, invites you to analyse and evaluate that evidence, and then to draw conclusions from that
Religion supplies no evidence, demands you have faith, and expects you to uncritically and automatically believe that something is true simply because "the Bible tells you so"
If you don't like my posts, opinions, or directness then put me on your ignore list!
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th December 2021, 12:59 AM   #14
gnome
Penultimate Amazing
 
gnome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 12,907
Was it an Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator?
__________________

gnome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:35 PM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.