IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 9th December 2021, 12:05 PM   #1
Cainkane1
Philosopher

Science Fiction from a now defunct comix company

There used to be comic book publishers who tried to compete with the Marvel comics and Superman DC comix's. Heres one of their stranger stories.

These ugly albeit humanoid aliens were pointing a large cannon like ray gun at the planet earth. They were ugly sinister aliens bent upon the annilation of the human race.

Somehow some human heros tricked these aliens into pointing this weapon at their own planet. They fired and to the dleight of their human foes destroyed their own civilization instead of ours.

I was a small child but I thought why destroy an entire civilization just because of two bad aliens from that planet?
Old 9th December 2021, 12:27 PM   #2
TheGoldcountry
Philosopher

Maybe we were accidentally eating their young because we thought they were boneless chicken wings.

In which case, a real tragedy.
Old 9th December 2021, 01:10 PM   #3
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur

Quote:
They fired and to the dleight of their human foes destroyed their own civilization instead of ours.
Sounds like a Galactic Darwin Award would be in order...
Old 9th December 2021, 09:14 PM   #4
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Originally Posted by Cainkane1 View Post
There used to be comic book publishers who tried to compete with the Marvel comics and Superman DC comix's. Heres one of their stranger stories.

These ugly albeit humanoid aliens were pointing a large cannon like ray gun at the planet earth. They were ugly sinister aliens bent upon the annilation of the human race.

Somehow some human heros tricked these aliens into pointing this weapon at their own planet. They fired and to the dleight of their human foes destroyed their own civilization instead of ours.

I was a small child but I thought why destroy an entire civilization just because of two bad aliens from that planet?

It's a metaphor. The aliens are Republicans.

No Klingon would put up with the GOP's ********.

When you least expect it... EXPECT IT!
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th December 2021, 07:09 AM   #5
Armitage72
Philosopher

A similar premise was used on The Outer Limits, with aliens tricking a group of human soldiers into thinking they were using a doomsday weapon on the alien homeworld, when they were actually attacking Earth.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th December 2021, 07:55 AM   #6
sackett
Philosopher

In the Sunday comics of the 50s, Buck Rogers was once caught and forced to stand holding his arm over his head. His wrist was tied to the trigger of the Martians' fiendish moon-based Atomical Cannon aimed at New York. Buck's sidekicks managed to re-aim the cannon at Marsopolis, the capital of (can you guess?). When Buck finally fainted and pulled the trigger, Zorg, Evil Emperor and Gang Boss of the Red* and Menacing Planet, rejoiced evilly in the last panel. He got the bad news in next week's installment.

* I said it was the 50s.

If you would ruin a man's character, let him seize power.
sackett is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th December 2021, 09:36 AM   #7
Lithrael
Master Poster

Yeah, a lot of very early sci fi was like that as well. I recall the intrepid heroes poisoning a civilian city to death in the Lensman stuff, of course it was called for as the aliens in question figured ‘spacefaring’ didn’t count as ‘intelligent’ for reasons that I assume were clearer to the author than to the audience. Metaphorical or something.
Lithrael is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th December 2021, 10:01 AM   #8
sackett
Philosopher

The genre isn't good for much else

Originally Posted by Lithrael View Post
Yeah, a lot of very early sci fi was like that as well. I recall the intrepid heroes poisoning a civilian city to death in the Lensman stuff, of course it was called for as the aliens in question figured ‘spacefaring’ didn’t count as ‘intelligent’ for reasons that I assume were clearer to the author than to the audience. Metaphorical or something.
Sci fi is pretty much always metaphorical if you care to read it that way. Tepid, stale, flabby, old-hat metaphorical, natch.

If you would ruin a man's character, let him seize power.
sackett is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th December 2021, 10:36 AM   #9
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

I always found it amusing that there were two basic types of "the aliens are here," stories:

A. The aliens pretend to be nice guys but secretly they have an evil plan.
B. The aliens are nice guys but the stupid humans are too afraid they have an evil plan and so we miss out on the wonderful things the aliens intended to give us.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th December 2021, 12:04 PM   #10
JimOfAllTrades
Muse

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
I always found it amusing that there were two basic types of "the aliens are here," stories:

B. The aliens are nice guys but the stupid humans are too afraid they have an evil plan and so we miss out on the wonderful things the aliens intended to give us.
That was one of things I liked about "Childhood's End" by Arthur C. Clarke. It seems like it might be a type B story from your list, but it turns out the humans do learn and in the end they get the "prize". Still an interesting story after all these years.
JimOfAllTrades is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th December 2021, 02:14 PM   #11
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur

" We come to serve man. "
Old 11th December 2021, 11:27 PM   #12
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptical Greg View Post
" We come to serve man. "
Leather Goddesses of Phobos
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th December 2021, 11:31 PM   #13
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post

The Day the Earth Stood Still (the real 1951 version, not the crappy one with Surfboy!)

....and before anyone else gets to say it.... Klaatu Barada Nikto
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th December 2021, 12:59 AM   #14
gnome
Penultimate Amazing

Was it an Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator?

gnome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts