IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Brexit

Closed Thread
Old 4th February 2020, 10:11 AM   #2841
lomiller
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Don View Post

Of course the US wouldn't want the UK to be allowed to subsidise UK farmers in the same way that US farmers are. It's a common theme of US trade deals and WTO complaints that whilst the US should be allowed to subsidise - directly or indirectly, subsidy by foreign countries should be forbidden.
The typical US approach is to demand that subsides be handled the exact same way the US does it. IOW assistance to farmers is “bad” unless you do it the exact same way the US does it. Eg the dispute between Canada and the US 2 years ago over dairy products. The US provides large direct subsidies to producers while Canada kept it’s producers viable with it’s supply management system (that included significant allowances for US products) The US demanded the supply management system be dismantled, but kept it’s own system of high subsidies in place.

(In a true free market, it’s unlikely that either the Eastern Canada dairy producers protected by the supply management system or the subsidised US dairy farms would be able to compete with the extremely large cost-optimized farms in Western Canada.)
Old 4th February 2020, 11:49 AM   #2842
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
True. East a soft-boiled USAian egg and you have a significant risk of becoming sock, getting hospitalised (and a huge medical bill) or dying.
Isn't that against the Membership Agreement?

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th February 2020, 12:55 PM   #2843
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

And yet the USA sees a half-million salmonella food poisoning cases (and over 350 deaths) each year. That's ten times the UK illness rate; the UK hasn't had any salmonella fatalities for several years.
Oh surely you realise that Great Britain will do it's level best to even that score, no?

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th February 2020, 02:03 PM   #2844
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

True. East a soft-boiled USAian egg and you have a significant risk of becoming sock, getting hospitalised (and a huge medical bill) or dying.
Eat sub food, get sick, get chucked for lack of space, die, Pay post-mortem for ones own funeral. Ceptimus seems to somehow think this is a good model of anything

abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th February 2020, 02:12 PM   #2845
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
Isn't that against the Membership Agreement?
One hell of an amusing typo, though.

Sometimes, I dearly wish I could do that on purpose.

Once in a while I do by accident. Mostly it turns out as a mashed keyboard.

Oh well. I have yet to meet a keyboard that fits my sixteen thumbs. Hope springs eternal.

Old 5th February 2020, 03:19 AM   #2846
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by abaddon View Post

Oh well. I have yet to meet a keyboard that fits my sixteen thumbs. Hope springs eternal.
Just get an Amazon Fire 10, the keyboard is amazing, whenever you make a typo it records it and automatically changes future instances of you typing the word correctly into that typo. Hilarity ensues!

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th February 2020, 03:49 AM   #2847
Lothian
should be banned

Just get an Amazon Fire 10, the keyboard is amazing, whenever you make a typo it records it and automatically changes future instances of you typing the word correctly into that typo. Hilarity ensues!
Yess, I not iced that with miner. Won:t bee byeing anothe4.
Lothian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th February 2020, 09:07 AM   #2848
lomiller
Penultimate Amazing

My work PC likes to change to the French dictionary when it sees a typo’s that it thinks is French. It does not, however, notice the next 1000 words are in English so if flags them all as spelling mistakes. It can be a serious PITA to convince it to go back to English.

(No doubt there is at least someone out there who has a similar issue and thinks Brexit is the way to fix it)
Old 5th February 2020, 09:16 AM   #2849
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by lomiller View Post
My work PC likes to change to the French dictionary when it sees a typo’s that it thinks is French. It does not, however, notice the next 1000 words are in English so if flags them all as spelling mistakes. It can be a serious PITA to convince it to go back to English.

(No doubt there is at least someone out there who has a similar issue and thinks Brexit is the way to fix it)
The good news is that, post-Brexit, it would be illegal in the UK to do such a thing
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th February 2020, 09:27 AM   #2850
lomiller
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
The good news is that, post-Brexit, it would be illegal in the UK to do such a thing
Well it does look like you won’t need to worry much about any business dealing with France post Brexit so French spell checking would probably be redundant.
Old 5th February 2020, 09:37 AM   #2851
Lothian
should be banned

Originally Posted by lomiller View Post
Well it does look like you won’t need to worry much about any business dealing with France post Brexit so French spell checking would probably be redundant.
Come brexit I hope we can insist that the French stop using common English terms like cul-de-sac, Grand Prix and cliché.
Lothian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th February 2020, 09:56 AM   #2852
Earthborn
Terrestrial Intelligence

Customs forms will likely be in French. France will probably just print more of the ones they already use for trade with Switzerland.
Old 5th February 2020, 01:54 PM   #2853
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Lothian View Post
Come brexit I hope we can insist that the French stop using common English terms like cul-de-sac, Grand Prix and cliché.
There is no French word for entrepreneur.

vilken tröst, vad än som kommer på!
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th February 2020, 04:36 PM   #2854
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Earthborn View Post
Customs forms will likely be in French. France will probably just print more of the ones they already use for trade with Switzerland.
Well they are printing our new passports so we might as well let them print our custom forms as well!
Old 5th February 2020, 09:57 PM   #2855
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
That makes no sense. If the product hasn’t changed, why recertify?
That's almost cute. BJ says things are different now and you think the EU should ignore his assertion. Sure, Zig, sure.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th February 2020, 02:40 AM   #2856
wobs
Master Poster

That is so passé.
Old 6th February 2020, 03:41 AM   #2857
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Originally Posted by wobs View Post
That is so passé.
I remember my high school English teacher saying that one of the great strengths of English was that it didn't need foreign words to express its nuances.

Dave

- President Joseph R. Biden, January 20th, 2021
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th February 2020, 05:03 AM   #2858
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
I remember my high school English teacher saying that one of the great strengths of English was that it didn't need foreign words to express its nuances.

Dave
I think that is a cliché, in English we've always taken an a la carte approach to using words from another language, even apropot the current débâcle I don't think that will change. Sur la vie.*
Old 6th February 2020, 01:03 PM   #2859
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
I think that is a cliché, in English we've always taken an a la carte approach to using words from another language, even apropot the current débâcle I don't think that will change. Sur la vie.*
"a la carte" allows you to pick and choose, but you don't have carte blanche to mess them up.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th February 2020, 12:33 AM   #2860
erlando
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post

Dave
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lists_...uage_of_origin

Strangest one to my ears? "Ombudsman".
Old 7th February 2020, 06:21 AM   #2861
Ulf Nereng
Muse

The upside being that no Norwegian has to be taught what it means!
Ulf Nereng is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th February 2020, 05:01 AM   #2862
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

The tragedy of Brexit: no blue passports until late this year. Those Brexiteers needing to renew this year will have to wait until 2030, as they last ten years.

Quote:
British holidaymakers renewing their passports before the summer could miss out on getting a blue one because the old EU-style ones need to be used up first.

Britons whose passports run out before they go away on holiday this summer could be stuck with a burgundy one until 2030, as they last for 10 years.

The Home Office has confirmed both burgundy and blue UK passports will be issued before March 29, but leftover burgundy stock will be used as a priority to get rid of them, reports The Telegraph.

Officials say printing machines will have to be adjusted to produce the post-Brexit passports, which will be a gradual process.

But they hope that all new passports will be blue by mid-2020.

Last edited by Vixen; 8th February 2020 at 05:03 AM.
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th February 2020, 02:21 PM   #2863
catsmate
No longer the 1

Tablet auto-correct I suspect.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th February 2020, 08:16 AM   #2864
Matthew Best
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
English has all the words you could possibly need to express anything. That's why it's become a sort of lingua franca for all the other, inferior, languages.
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th February 2020, 08:38 AM   #2865
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

the human brain naturally thinks in English

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th February 2020, 09:25 AM   #2866
Lothian
should be banned

"In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth. And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters. And God said, Let there be light: and there was light"

"Let there be light". Given God clearly picked English for his first words, that should end the debate.
Old 9th February 2020, 10:19 AM   #2867
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post
English has all the words you could possibly need to express anything. That's why it's become a sort of lingua franca for all the other, inferior, languages.
Ei ole totta.

Old 9th February 2020, 12:14 PM   #2868
Klimax
NWO Cyborg 5960x (subversion VPUNPCKHQDQ)

Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post
Robots will have a word with you.

Engine: Ibalgin 400
Klimax is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th February 2020, 03:14 PM   #2869
Garrison
Philosopher

Well the massive gains for Sinn Fein in the Irish elections are certainly going to make the whole border issue even more 'interesting'.
Old 9th February 2020, 03:55 PM   #2870
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
the human brain naturally thinks in English

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
I need subtitles for that.
"In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth. And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters. And God said, Let there be light: and there was light"

"Let there be light". Given God clearly picked English for his first words, that should end the debate.
Only if it's 16th century English.
Old 9th February 2020, 04:42 PM   #2871
ceptimus
puzzler

Originally Posted by Garrison View Post
Well the massive gains for Sinn Fein in the Irish elections are certainly going to make the whole border issue even more 'interesting'.
A united Ireland would solve the border issue completely. Shame it didn't happen years ago. It would have greatly simplified Brexit, as well as removing the financial drain that Northern Ireland imposes on the rest of the UK (England really, because Scotland and Wales are also drains).

Simple geography is a sufficient reason for a united ireland. The sooner it happens, the better. The partition of the island is a hangover from the days of British imperial ambitions, propped up by mutual hatred between different brands of Christianity. Hopefully the younger generations in Ireland are less sectarian and more secular - if they can stop dancing to the tune of Ireland's shameful history, it will benefit everyone.
ceptimus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th February 2020, 05:55 PM   #2872
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ceptimus View Post
A united Ireland would solve the border issue completely. Shame it didn't happen years ago. It would have greatly simplified Brexit, as well as removing the financial drain that Northern Ireland imposes on the rest of the UK (England really, because Scotland and Wales are also drains).

Simple geography is a sufficient reason for a united ireland. The sooner it happens, the better. The partition of the island is a hangover from the days of British imperial ambitions, propped up by mutual hatred between different brands of Christianity. Hopefully the younger generations in Ireland are less sectarian and more secular - if they can stop dancing to the tune of Ireland's shameful history, it will benefit everyone.
~In the south? sure. In the north? Not so much. I find it astonishing how anyone could be so naive.

You are flat out advocating yet another civil war and you do not understand why that might be.

Old 9th February 2020, 06:15 PM   #2873
ceptimus
puzzler

You are flat out advocating yet another civil war and you do not understand why that might be.
No. I'm advocating the peaceful joining of the two parts of a partitioned island into a single peaceful and prosperous nation. That's what Sinn Fein campaigns for and they have support on both sides of the border. It's also a return to the united Ireland that existed before Britain invaded it.

It's pretty obvious to most enlightened people that Ireland is headed towards becoming united. The only disagreement is over how long they take to get there.

Last edited by ceptimus; 9th February 2020 at 06:22 PM.
ceptimus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th February 2020, 02:56 AM   #2874
Lothian
should be banned

We knew a lot of brexiteers are xenophobic racists. It is nice when they confirm their hatred for anyone who is not a little Englander.
Old 10th February 2020, 05:10 AM   #2875
ceptimus
puzzler

Do you think that calling all those you disagree with, "xenophobic racist little Englanders" might be somehow connected with why you keep losing?
Old 10th February 2020, 05:12 AM   #2876
Amazer
Graduate Poster

Do you think that calling all those you disagree with, "xenophobic racist little Englanders" might be somehow connected with why you keep losing?
Possibly it's connected perhaps even likely... but that doesn't mean that what he's saying isn't valid.

Sent from my SM-M305F using Tapatalk
Amazer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th February 2020, 05:19 AM   #2877
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

Them (or at least a significant percentage of them) actually being xenophobic racist little Englanders would also explain it, of course.
Old 10th February 2020, 05:21 AM   #2878
ceptimus
puzzler

It's amazing that when a Brexiteer supports something that the other side wants such as a united Ireland or an independent Scotland, then the Brexiteer is accused of supporting it for the wrong reasons and is still insulted and attacked.

It reveals the other sides hatred of the English. They wouldn't call it racism against the English as they genuinely believe that it's impossible to be racist against the English. It's remarkable that England is unique in this regard.
Old 10th February 2020, 05:57 AM   #2879
Garrison
Philosopher

It's amazing that when a Brexiteer supports something that the other side wants such as a united Ireland or an independent Scotland, then the Brexiteer is accused of supporting it for the wrong reasons and is still insulted and attacked.

It reveals the other sides hatred of the English. They wouldn't call it racism against the English as they genuinely believe that it's impossible to be racist against the English. It's remarkable that England is unique in this regard.
Well if by the other side you mean Remainers, or rejoiners as I suppose we have to be now, I imagine a great many of them are English so yet again a nonsense post by you.
Old 10th February 2020, 06:04 AM   #2880
Lothian
should be banned

The wrong reasons? You consider that Scotland, Ireland and Wales are a drain on England. You ignore the fact that we are all in the same nation. Artificially splitting them is very misleading when in a separate nation example people and businesses may move around. That you see it as people and nations leaching off England shows your bias.

Quote:
it is definitely a brexiteer trait rather than an English one. Many English people support working with other countries and sharing resources for mutual gain. It is a criticism specifically of brexiteers who have a little Englander attitude. It is not saying all English have that attitude.
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics