IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » Reference » Forum Spotlight

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 23rd February 2006, 02:12 PM   #121
Kelly
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Katachresis View Post

Thanks Kelly, for getting us back on topic.

I've been trying to think of new ideas that might help, but haven't found anything yet. But I won’t stop. I'll check out your site, and can at least make a modest contribution. (I am presently under funded myself.)

My heart goes out to you, your family, and to anyone else in similar circumstances.

Last summer I read a book dealing with missing children. I had to stop one third through, as I would become too emotional, even while reading fiction.

I hope that this thread has helped you, despite a few tangents that are almost inevitable in such a forum. There are good people here. People willing to actually help. Even if it’s only to have a place where you can explore your options, and spread awareness of the plight of others with missing relatives.

Kevin
Thank you, Kevin.

The thread is back on track and great things are happening.

People like me and others in my place get an infusion of hope when people like you and the JREF members are willing to do things that make a difference. Even what one might think as a little thing, such as hanging a poster, can make a dark day brighter.
Kelly is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2006, 02:15 PM   #122
Kelly
Philosopher

Does anyone know if you can get an equal number of hits by having the name of the site, as opposed to the domain name, include "missing persons"?
Kelly is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2006, 02:18 PM   #123
Kochanski
Illuminator

Location: Anonymous Unimportant Place (not a secret Scorpion training facility for Shosuro ninjas)
Originally Posted by KellyJ View Post
Wonderful!

I think the name will be very important. It should somehow have missing persons in it.

Let's brainstorm.
How about

Rational Resources for Missing Person Assistance
http://longislanddoctorwho.com/
Kochanski is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2006, 02:19 PM   #124
Kochanski
Illuminator

Location: Anonymous Unimportant Place (not a secret Scorpion training facility for Shosuro ninjas)
Does anyone know if you can get an equal number of hits by having the name of the site, as opposed to the domain name, include "missing persons"?
I believe if you have keywords specified with the website you should get good hits from searches.
Kochanski is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2006, 02:20 PM   #125
Luke T.

www.missingpersons.org is taken.

www.missingpersons.com and www.missingpersons.net are taken but don't look like they are being actively used.
Luke T. is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2006, 02:22 PM   #126
CFLarsen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by fowlsound View Post
Great. shoot me a PM when that's ready to go up. I'll work on the webspace and the dot com.
First comes the information architecture. That depends on the content. Then, the design is done.

No worries, I know what I'm doing.

We will brainstorm with Kelly, and we'll reach a consensus on what the site should contain.

Wonderful!

I think the name will be very important. It should somehow have missing persons in it.
Hmm....if you want it to be a single-missing-person site, sure. But if you want to reach a broader audience, it should be more general.

But definitely hard-hitting. Let's not mince words here.

Don't worry about that. There are ways (ahemn) to ensure a high Goggle-hit.
CFLarsen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2006, 02:24 PM   #127
Kelly
Philosopher

Shall we have a forum on there for parents of missing kids?
This is good, too, however, I ask that we refer to the missing as "missing persons" rather than just missing children. There are literally a thousand resource sites for missing children, but few for the missing in general and/or missing adults. That leads to the desperation factor, as LE, media, and orgs provide less, and sometime no help at all.
Old 23rd February 2006, 02:27 PM   #128
Kelly
Philosopher

Do you think this is too long? It does not appear to be taken.

www.psychicsandmissingpersons.com
Old 23rd February 2006, 02:29 PM   #129
Ducky

A little long, but easy to remember. You know, we could use the initials of the site's title. For example, for "Rational Response and Help for Families of Missing Persons" you could do RRHFMP.com or something like that.

just an idea.
Ducky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2006, 02:31 PM   #130
Luke T.

That name will attract a lot of believers in psychics.

Imagine a hundred WanderinWTFs muddying the water...
Luke T. is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2006, 02:31 PM   #131
Ducky

I also want to reiterate that aside from CFLarson's site we should definately have a forum on there where the families of missing persons can create a community base.

Also, if you loko through my stupidly high post count, I relish in beating down woo trolls.

Best of both worlds.
Ducky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2006, 02:32 PM   #132
Ducky

Originally Posted by Luke T. View Post
That will attract a lot of believers in psychics.

Imagine a hundred WanderinWTFs muddying the water...

I think no matter what the name, the intent of the site will do that anyway.

As for a hundred wanderingwtfs, bring it on.
Old 23rd February 2006, 02:34 PM   #133
De_Bunk
Scourge of the Believer

How about something like...

PleaseComeHome.com / net / org

DB

Trouble is..nearly 25,000 have been deleted...100% true..(Thanks to someone messing with the database..and you know who you are)

And you think you're 'Hardcore'.. (DB)
De_Bunk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2006, 02:34 PM   #134
Kochanski
Illuminator

I would say that is spot on. Not too long.
Old 23rd February 2006, 02:35 PM   #135
Ducky

Originally Posted by Kochanski View Post
I would say that is spot on. Not too long.

Shall I buy it then?
Old 23rd February 2006, 02:36 PM   #136
Kelly
Philosopher

I think no matter what the name, the intent of the site will do that anyway.

As for a hundred wanderingwtfs, bring it on.
Luke has a good point and is is something we should ponder. I do also agree that in the end, they'll come anyway, just as Wanderin came here.

There could be a separate place for them to post so they would not pollute the other threads/subforums.

The privacy of the families (if they were to post there) should be protected at all costs. I would not want them to be PMing family members, etc. That would be awful.

Let's think this through.
Old 23rd February 2006, 02:37 PM   #137
Ducky

Luke has a good point and is is something we should ponder. I do also agree that in the end, they'll come anyway, just as Wanderin came here.

There could be a separate place for them to post so they would not pollute the other threads/subforums.

The privacy of the families (if they were to post there) should be protected at all costs. I would not want them to be PMing family members, etc. That would be awful.

It's all in the membership agreement we come up with. We can explicitly state that this is not a forum to offer services or prove psychic abilities. When that's violated, they're gone and the post buried.

ETA:

Except for something akin to a flame wars section where they can duke it out. A sort of subforum.
Old 23rd February 2006, 02:39 PM   #138
CFLarsen
Penultimate Amazing

A little long, but easy to remember. You know, we could use the initials of the site's title. For example, for "Rational Response and Help for Families of Missing Persons" you could do RRHFMP.com or something like that.

just an idea.
If you want an acronym, it has to be catchy and pronounceable.
CFLarsen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2006, 02:40 PM   #139
meg
psychic reader

what about

www.twicevictims.org - referring to that quote posted about how these people are being victimized twice?
Old 23rd February 2006, 02:40 PM   #140
Luke T.

The last thing the family of a missing person needs when they come to a website designed to help them avoid predators is to be pounced on by a pack of wolves like Wanderin.

The name should say it all. www.secondwavepredators.com, or .org.

And anyone who solicits should be immediately banned.
Old 23rd February 2006, 02:41 PM   #141
Luke T.

Originally Posted by meg View Post
what about

www.twicevictims.org - referring to that quote posted about how these people are being victimized twice?

Great minds think alike.
Old 23rd February 2006, 02:41 PM   #142
Kelly
Philosopher

It's all in the membership agreement we come up with. We can explicitly state that this is not a forum to offer services or prove psychic abilities. When that's violated, they're gone and the post buried.

ETA:

Except for something akin to a flame wars section where they can duke it out. A sort of subforum.
Family members and believers in the general public can lurk and watch the action. Everyone will learn something, that is except for the diehard types.

I say buy the domain, but I'm not the queen diva here.
Old 23rd February 2006, 02:41 PM   #143
The Central Scrutinizer
Penultimate Amazing

How about http://www.psychicscannotfindmissingpersons.com/

Lupus is Lupus tor central scrutineezer
The Central Scrutinizer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2006, 02:42 PM   #144
CFLarsen
Penultimate Amazing

Shall I buy it then?
Let's sleep on this. That's always a good idea.
Old 23rd February 2006, 02:42 PM   #145
Kelly
Philosopher

The last two names presented by Luke and Meg are worthy.

I'm thinking.......

Edited to say I agree with Claus.

Editing to further state that perhaps it should be left clean, meaning that it's a place to present the info to the families, period. Psychics could be referred to this forum to do their sparring.That may be the best option. Family members who want to observe this here could as lurkers if they wish.
Old 23rd February 2006, 02:44 PM   #146
Ducky

Originally Posted by CFLarsen View Post
Let's sleep on this. That's always a good idea.

What's this "sleep" you speak of?
Old 23rd February 2006, 02:48 PM   #147
Ducky

Family members and believers in the general public can lurk and watch the action. Everyone will learn something, that is except for the diehard types.

I say buy the domain, but I'm not the queen diva here.

Sure you are.

Chck your private message for my email and phone #. you Claus and I can talk more about this and work the whole thing out. I have no problem being a forum admin for this site and aggressively enforcing that we do not tolerate trolls like wandering. Plus, I've got the time and the motivation.
Old 23rd February 2006, 02:48 PM   #148
Hawk one
Emperor of the Internet

Having a set of at least 5 strict moderators will be required no matter what name you take.

Speaking of which, I volunteer for modding. It's about the only thing I can contribute with, and I have the spare time for it. Of course, don't bother thinking too much about that kind of detail yet, as it's still a bit far in the future.

Edited to clarify post.

If only health care was like video games. Then the ones who could pay for it would get it, and the ones who couldn't would die, like nature intended for people without money. A perfect system, right? RIGHT?
Hawk one is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2006, 02:51 PM   #149
CFLarsen
Penultimate Amazing

psychicsdonotsolvecrimes
Old 23rd February 2006, 02:51 PM   #150
Ducky

www.psychicfrauds.com

Is that taken?
Old 23rd February 2006, 02:52 PM   #151
CFLarsen
Penultimate Amazing

What's this "sleep" you speak of?
An imaginary concept, I know. But I have heard of people who actually do it.
Old 23rd February 2006, 02:53 PM   #152
CFLarsen
Penultimate Amazing

www.psychicfrauds.com

Is that taken?
You better have the evidence that is strong enough to hold up in court.
Old 23rd February 2006, 02:54 PM   #153
Ducky

Originally Posted by CFLarsen View Post
You better have the evidence that is strong enough to hold up in court.

Good point, we don't want to get hit with libel lawsuits.
Old 23rd February 2006, 02:55 PM   #154
The_Fire
Unimpressed Female

www.psychicpredators.com ?

Shameless plug:
CFLarsen: I'm in training (finishes at dec 01 this year) as a webintegrator at Medieskolerne in Viborg. Let me know if I can help.

Knows ASP classic with Access and are currently making good headway on PHP/Mysql (ETA: Login systems are currently giving me a headache).
Also knows CSS, XHTML etc.
"We? That better be you and that invisible aardwarck in your pocket you are talking about, because I KNOW you are not stupid enough to open a giant can of whoop ass by claiming you know what I think."
Stop Sylvia Browne
The_Fire is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2006, 02:56 PM   #155
Ducky

Originally Posted by The_Fire View Post
www.psychicpredators.com ?

Shameless plug:
CFLarsen: I'm in training (finishes at dec 01 this year) as a webintegrator at Medieskolerne in Viborg. Let me know if I can help.

Knows ASP classic with Access and are currently making good headway on PHP/Mysql.

Thanks Fire. When I set up the forum software, I may email you some questions.
Old 23rd February 2006, 03:02 PM   #156
The_Fire
Unimpressed Female

Fowlsound: I'll help in anyway I can. Maybe I can get some of the other guys interested as well. A couple of them are downright scary when it comes to code....
"We? That better be you and that invisible aardwarck in your pocket you are talking about, because I KNOW you are not stupid enough to open a giant can of whoop ass by claiming you know what I think."
Stop Sylvia Browne
The_Fire is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2006, 03:05 PM   #157
CFLarsen
Penultimate Amazing

Good one!

Gotcha.

Knows ASP classic with Access and are currently making good headway on PHP/Mysql (ETA: Login systems are currently giving me a headache).
Ewwwl.....(makes sign of cross to fight off heretics)
Old 23rd February 2006, 03:09 PM   #158
The_Fire
Unimpressed Female

Let me guess: Its got to do with microblows and Asp?
Stop Sylvia Browne
Old 23rd February 2006, 03:12 PM   #159
CFLarsen
Penultimate Amazing

Let me guess: Its got to do with microblows and Asp?
No, no, it's a religious thing.

"psychicpredators" is excellent.
Old 23rd February 2006, 03:12 PM   #160
Kelly
Philosopher

Sure you are.

Chck your private message for my email and phone #. you Claus and I can talk more about this and work the whole thing out. I have no problem being a forum admin for this site and aggressively enforcing that we do not tolerate trolls like wandering. Plus, I've got the time and the motivation.
I'll try you again in a bit.

So many good ideas flowing here.

I'm still a bit torn between having a clean site and the forum since this one exists.

I believe that I have caught up on older posts with questions for me or other items I need to comment on. If I forgot one, remind me, and accept my apology.

I'm taking a break from the PC...been on it all day long. I'll be back later on.

This is what it's all about...working together for a common cause.

Thank you all from the bottom of my heart. (not literally, of course!)

International Skeptics Forum » Reference » Forum Spotlight