IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags bigfoot , bill munns , Patterson-Gimlin film

Old 27th September 2011, 12:43 PM   #81
Marduk
Banned

Originally Posted by sadhatter View Post
Man, where are the people who believe in dragons? At least dragons are neat. Bigfoot just seems straight up boring.
I'm here
Marduk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th September 2011, 01:04 PM   #82
Vortigern99
Sorcerer Supreme

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
Bill Munns is now doing video reports on YouTube. The first one shows a 3-D animation of the Patty filming.
The linked video is highly impressive IMO. Munns shows us how he built the 3D model by comparing features in the PGF and Green's still shots. Then, at about 10 minutes in, he shows us the rough animation of Patty's path and RP's path behind her with the camera.

Even if you disagree with Munns' opinion that the subject is a living non-human animal -- which I certainly do -- the video and animation are still informative and fun!

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." -- Jimi Hendrix
Vortigern99 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th September 2011, 01:21 PM   #83
Drewbot
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Vortigern99 View Post

Even if you disagree with Munns' opinion that the subject is a living non-human animal -- which I certainly do -- the video and animation are still informative and fun!
I agree that it is fun. Too bad his conclusions are so fail.
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th September 2011, 01:22 PM   #84
Vortigern99
Sorcerer Supreme

This one is impressive as well, a Nat Geo interview/analysis/infotainment piece with Munns. The final few minutes constitute the most convincingly scientific explanation of a purely imaginary paranormal conclusion I may have ever seen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnZxA...eature=related

For all his intelligence and expertise, Munns appears to ignore the possibility that shoulder pads, long gloves and big feet(s)TM are distorting his otherwise thorough proportional analyses. His calculations tell him the joints don't match up with a normal-sized human being, not because the joint locations are impossible, but because the end points opposite those joints are distorted by padding, extensions, etc.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." -- Jimi Hendrix
Vortigern99 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th September 2011, 01:39 PM   #85
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Munns Report Video #2
Old 27th September 2011, 01:47 PM   #86
Cainkane1
Philosopher

Originally Posted by marlborough View Post
You can now add self proclaimed "probability statistician" to his arsenal of alleged professional endeavors that already included engineer, forensic expert and anthropologist. In his expert opinion, he calculates that any chance of the PGF being a hoax as being low as 1 in 20000.

link

In fact, it looks like Bills gone totally ape with Bigfoot particularly at a well known squatch haunt . He has monopolized the entire forum with his expertise. 27 out 32 threads were started by BILL link. There is talk of Bill speculating on what Patty ate for breakfast that fateful day in 1967 just by the way it walks. And to think, I wasted 4 years of my life earning an engineering degree.

Just some of the ground breaking lecture threads Bill has initiated. I suggest we start off with "Patterson Gimlin Film Beginner's guide-A link to a Guide which can help people new to this discussion." for us newbies.

1/ Creature Suit Analysis Part 10 - Flab
Bill Munns study of soft tissue appearances in the PG Film

2/ Creature Suit Analysis Part 6 - Comparative Anatomy
A study of a human figure intended to relicate the PG film figure

3/ Patterson Gimlin Film Beginner's guide
A link to a Guide which can help people new to this discussion.

4/ Creature Suit Analysis Part 9 - A Study of Probability
Bill Munns notes on the probability the PG Film is hoaxed

5/ Creature Suits Analysis Part 2 - Under the Fur
Bill Munns notes on muscle suits and other anatomical parts

6/ Can rebuilding Patty prove anything? * 12
Bill Munns notes on what could be proved.

7/ Film Final Analysis by Bill Munns

8/ Creature Suit Analysis Part 11 - The next Step * 12
Bill Munns notes on a PG Film image research study

9/ Creature Suit Analysis Part 12 - Hip seams
Bill Munns notes on seams of a two piece fur suit

10/ Creature Suit Analysis Part Five Building Patty
Bill Munns notes on building a Patty Replica

11/ Creature Suit Analysis Part 8 Neck Hackles
Bill Munns study of neck shadows on the PG Film figure

12/ Creature Suit Analysis Part 7 - Neck seams
Bill Munns' study of fur suit neck seams and folds

13/ Creature Suit Analysis Part Four Extra Hands
a look at helping hands, literally anf figuratively

14/ Creature Suit Analysis Part Three The Mime inside
Bill Munns notes on the difficulties of wearing a suit

15/ Creature Suit Analysis Part 1 Fur

16/ PGF Hoax Analysis - Part Six - Makeup Artist Opinions
A series of individual topic discussions

17/ PGF Hoax Analysis - Part Two - Film Processing

18/ PGF Hoax Analysis - Part Five - Roger's Hollywood Connections

19/ PGF Hoax Analysis - Part One - Editing and Splicing

20/ PGF Hoax Analysis - Part Four - Film Provenance and Copies

21/ PGF Hoax Analysis - Part Three - Bob Heironimous

22/ Amazing revelation about the PGF
we all figured it wrong

23/ PGF Hoax, One Coherent Story how it was done

24/ Patterson Documentary Footage Analysis
Summing up the overall analysis of this footage

25/ UEC (Unidentified edge coding)
Something curious in Patterson's film

26/ Unidentified Man in film
Anybody have thoughts on the identity of this man

27/ Film Grain Question
Trying to figure out why one image is so grainy
Does this investigation explain the dark line in he back where a zippper would be?
Old 27th September 2011, 02:26 PM   #87
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Munns has an error with the scale and/or the creek position in his 3D scene. He's got the creek running too close to the famous log.

Old 27th September 2011, 03:38 PM   #88
GT/CS
Illuminator

That's OK.
It makes for good TV and the believers won't notice or care.
Old 27th September 2011, 03:52 PM   #89
Drewbot
Philosopher

nice catch Parcher, but they will say the model is wrong not Munns.
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th September 2011, 03:54 PM   #90
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Well, Bill already noticed and responded to my graphic...

Originally Posted by Bill Munns on BFF
WP: you are looking at a site photo taken 4 years after the event, and the creek has shifted. The compute model is not wrong.
You are speculating that the creek moved. I don't see an empty trench where the creek used to be.

Your 3D scene shows much more of the creek and its path than you can see in the film. You have a hypothetical creek, as about >90% of it is your artistic license. I don't know how your "computer model" can determine the path of the creek without input from you and you can't see more than a small bit of it.
Old 27th September 2011, 04:51 PM   #91
DennyT
Illuminator

I think the videos are hilarious; this is like Seinfeld. I can hardly wait for the next episode.
DennyT is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th September 2011, 06:23 PM   #92
River
Illuminator

I'm not so sure his scene is accurate either. In many respects. If it was, he should be able to attach a camera to roger and film the pgf and recapture those frames via his scene to replicate the full frame views (where roger evens off at least, maybe not in the shakey parts woud be harder to duplicate) Anyhow, I'm curious to see what hes got in mind for distances, and what lens he must have already in mind was used to do this.

Otherwise the scale would be off had he not already made up his mind. I know hes not calling this an exact path, and its not. It is a step in the right direction though. Mapping out the movements of both subject and camera accurately is quite a challenge. I already see a few things I want to comment on but for now I'll hold my tongue.
River is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th September 2011, 10:22 PM   #93
AlaskaBushPilot
Illuminator

I looked at the second video. Looks like he may have found a splice. The camera is horizontal one frame and vertical the next in a sequence Roger is shaking the camera around a lot. He is going to investigate it further.

The main thing that impresses me with the moving illustration is how unnatural the movements of the animal are for how directly Roger is chasing it. The way Roger is coming at Patty would be taken as a threat. You have to explain what the animal is doing - what escape route is being chosen here and why? It doesn't look like it is attaining any kind of terrain advantage, it makes no sense from the topos I have seen in terms of where a trail would ascend - it is clearly chosen for staging purposes.
AlaskaBushPilot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th September 2011, 10:30 PM   #94
Deacondark
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Drewbot View Post
nice catch Parcher, but they will say the model is wrong not Munns.
I remember reading about some really bad flooding right after PGF was filmed. But in that picture I don't see any evidence at all that the creek had changed course.
Deacondark is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th September 2011, 11:12 PM   #95
AlaskaBushPilot
Illuminator

Parcher sure looks correct.
AlaskaBushPilot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th September 2011, 11:37 PM   #96
DennyT
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Deacondark View Post
I remember reading about some really bad flooding right after PGF was filmed. But in that picture I don't see any evidence at all that the creek had changed course.
I think your recall is wrong. The big flood was in 64. The creek for sure did not flood in that winter/spring of 67-68. John green was there in June and commented on the fact that there was a layer of leaves on the sandbar from the previous fall.
DennyT is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2011, 04:28 AM   #97
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by AlaskaBushPilot View Post
I looked at the second video. Looks like he may have found a splice. The camera is horizontal one frame and vertical the next in a sequence Roger is shaking the camera around a lot. He is going to investigate it further.

The main thing that impresses me with the moving illustration is how unnatural the movements of the animal are for how directly Roger is chasing it. The way Roger is coming at Patty would be taken as a threat. You have to explain what the animal is doing - what escape route is being chosen here and why? It doesn't look like it is attaining any kind of terrain advantage, it makes no sense from the topos I have seen in terms of where a trail would ascend - it is clearly chosen for staging purposes.
The story about Patty's behavior is either that she is sick, thus her lethargy and daylight stroll, or more popularly, she is deliberately leading Roger away from her family.

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2011, 05:45 AM   #98
EHocking
Philosopher

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
Munns has an error with the scale and/or the creek position in his 3D scene. He's got the creek running too close to the famous log.

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w...r/9cbe9b5e.png
Of course he has.

He has never used phototelemetry software to map the area, only his animation art software and his own artistic license.
You can't make up anything anymore. The world itself is a satire. All you're doing is recording it. Art Buchwald
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2011, 07:38 AM   #99
Deacondark
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by parnassus View Post
I think your recall is wrong. The big flood was in 64. The creek for sure did not flood in that winter/spring of 67-68. John green was there in June and commented on the fact that there was a layer of leaves on the sandbar from the previous fall.
You are right. I knew it flooded at some point, not sure why I thought it was later.
Deacondark is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2011, 04:07 PM   #100
GT/CS
Illuminator

Patterson or Gimlin said it rained so hard the night they filmed Patty the roads washed out and other terrible things happened. Or something similar.
Old 28th September 2011, 04:13 PM   #101
Deacondark
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by GT/CS View Post
Patterson or Gimlin said it rained so hard the night they filmed Patty the roads washed out and other terrible things happened. Or something similar.
Yeah, but some small pieces of bark perfectly preserved the trackway. Sorry, my sarcasm meter is stuck on "11" again....
Old 28th September 2011, 04:25 PM   #102
GT/CS
Illuminator

I agree, but that may be where the 'flood' misunderstanding is coming from.
Old 28th September 2011, 04:46 PM   #103
Deacondark
Critical Thinker

My sarcasm was aimed squarely at the Footers, and not at you.
Old 28th September 2011, 04:48 PM   #104
Deacondark
Critical Thinker

And you are probably right. I think that's where my misunderstanding originated.
Old 28th September 2011, 08:58 PM   #105
AlaskaBushPilot
Illuminator

Originally Posted by parnassus View Post
Oh thanks there for that.

LTC8K6 - Okay that's interesting they acknowledge the liesurely gait. I'd say cumbersome. Well, if sick then easy to follow. If babies then why did she then leave the babies and not return. These answers raise even bigger questions, seems to me.

GT/CS - I wonder if they exaggerated the rains to give a cover story to getting out in a hurry. If I was on top of a big game animal - the thing I am after - the first thing I do is leave? I don't think so. But Roger has a multifacited marketing program in place from Friday night on. The film has been in the can fully edited before they leave for Bluff Creek, so they know what to say.

Phase I is the phony announcement. Phase II is using the three stooges Dahinden, Green, and and McClarin to dupe into acting as marketing agents. Showing them the bigfoot highlight reel on Sunday the 22nd.

You have Boob Titmus trying to glom onto the gravy train with Oilman Tom Slick funding bigfoot hunts. Elegant thieves like Peter Byrne doing a better job of it - all this taking off like lightning after the announcement.

They have the Eureka Press editor in cahoots with the whole thing, as the widow explained - it got out of hand with a small industry of competing con-men putting their own spin on things for their individual purposes.

I don't think they want to sit around camping in the woods even in a light shower. It's showtime.
Old 29th September 2011, 09:13 AM   #106
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Here I've shown in red boxes the only parts of the creek that are visible in the film. Everything else that Munns has illustrated with the creek is speculation and creative artistry. He doesn't know what the creek really looked like. He's even got some shrubbery growing down the embankment near the famous log.

One could say that in order to show a full scene like this you have no choice other than to invent your own features and their proximity to each other. This is because Roger didn't swing his camera around to give panoramic views, and foreshortening gives illusions of spacial compression for what we do see. The 1971 Dahinden overview photo helps but only for a portion of the scene. It does not show the area of the initial sighting/filming with the logjam. Munns' scene differs considerably from that of Titmus who was actually there particularly with respect to the layout of the creek and its relation to Patty's pathway.

Old 29th September 2011, 10:26 AM   #107
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur

Well, he does say " visualization " ...
Old 29th September 2011, 12:05 PM   #108
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptical Greg View Post
Well, he does say " visualization " ...
There's not really anything there that we didn't already know though.

How it occurred? We know how it occurred...

Not sure what the point is of "visualization" of something that was basically nailed down a very long time ago.

This is the second recent "visualization" of the PGF story...

Why?

Is something supposed to change?

LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2011, 12:21 PM   #109
GT/CS
Illuminator

It's pretty so he can sell it to the bigfoot 'documentary' makers.
Old 29th September 2011, 12:46 PM   #110
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

How would it compare to the effort with LMS though?

Old 29th September 2011, 12:46 PM   #111
Mudcat
Man of a Thousand Memes

I'm confused here, wasn't the PGF admitted to have been a hoax? That would mean that Munns (whoever he is) has a seriously weak concept of reality, general math and statistical probabilities (putting aside the fact that the reality of a film is an either-or position).
Old 29th September 2011, 12:47 PM   #112
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mudcat View Post
I'm confused here, wasn't the PGF admitted to have been a hoax? That would mean that Munns (whoever he is) has a seriously weak concept of reality, general math and statistical probabilities (putting aside the fact that the reality of a film is an either-or position).
No, there has been no admission of a hoax with the PGF.

Old 29th September 2011, 12:53 PM   #113
The Shrike
Philosopher

Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
Perhaps Mudcat is thinking of Bob H's admission of hoaxing.
The Shrike is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2011, 12:57 PM   #114
Mudcat
Man of a Thousand Memes

Originally Posted by The Shrike View Post
Perhaps Mudcat is thinking of Bob H's admission of hoaxing.
Ah, that was it. Sorry for the mistake. But really, the PGF can only be one thing: a hoax.
Old 29th September 2011, 07:22 PM   #115
GT/CS
Illuminator

How would it compare to the effort with LMS though?
Are you saying he did not create it to sell it?
Old 30th September 2011, 04:37 AM   #116
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Are you saying he did not create it to sell it?
I hope not, since it was just done, and with more flash, with LMS.

Old 30th September 2011, 05:07 AM   #117
EHocking
Philosopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudcat
But that doesn't mean that Mudcat's second sentence is incorrect...
You can't make up anything anymore. The world itself is a satire. All you're doing is recording it. Art Buchwald
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th September 2011, 05:19 AM   #118
Drewbot
Philosopher

Gagh.
Old 30th September 2011, 09:38 AM   #119
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur

I wouldn't be surprised if he is already under commission..
Old 30th September 2011, 12:56 PM   #120
AlaskaBushPilot
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Mudcat View Post
Ah, that was it. Sorry for the mistake. But really, the PGF can only be one thing: a hoax.
I wouldn't call it a mistake. One of the hoax participants confessed.

Skeptics disagree about whether it has been sufficiently proven Bob Heironimus was the one in the suit, but it seems to me he has a very strong claim - beyond reasonable doubt, found in this way:

First, you are right that it is a hoax. So who wore the suit? As Greg Long showed, Bob Heironimus is the one person from the circle of Patterson associates that makes sense. Roger got to use his horse for free. Bob wore the suit for free and transported himself there at his own expense. He was by his own admisison a "sucker". This is in perfect conformity with Roger's modus operandi. Bob was a big, beefy guy to fill out that suit well. He was the kind that would keep his mouth shut.

Nobody else in all these years has given a first-hand confession. Occasionally you see people alleging hearsay about someone else confessing. But the only one on record anywhere - in book and on camera - directly admitting the hoax first-hand is Bob Heironimus.

His story is also corroborated by the impossibility of the filming on October 20. Bob's account has it earlier, and it must be in order to develop the film in time for the 22nd showing.

I think people that doubt Bob Heironimus as the actor in the suit need to come up with a reasonable counter-proposal. Who amongst the Patterson circle is a candidate and why?

Nobody else bothered in all these years to go to Yakima and interview Patterson's circle of victims and associates. When Greg Long finally did it, people simply pointed to Bob Heironimus. Bob didn't come forward himself until after a show he saw finally got him fed up enough to overcome the indignity of Patterson making a sucker out of him.

People aren't real keen on announcing the stupid mistakes they made in life. When you see other people capitalizing on something you know to be a lie though, it can be enough to step forward. Having done so, look at the abuse he has taken by 'footers. Decades later in his elder years being contacted now by kooks. Your neighbors by word and deed calling you a liar. (Gimlin and Patty Patterson). It took some guts to step forward.

Bob Gimlin seems willing to go to his grave without confessing. DeAtley did a great job confessing as much as he could without admitting directly to theft by fraud.

The argument by best explanation puts a name in the suit. If you don't have that name you are a mile behind the story that does have a defensible name in the suit. If you went hunting amongst Patterson circles for who the ideal candidate is, you come up with Bob Heironimus. Well golly gee - he confessed!

In doing so he told for the first time the story of PGF film delivery to DeAtley. It was Bob Heironimus that mailed the film, whisked the suit out of the hoax site long before the 20th, and left Roger and Bob Gimlin at Bluff Creek to fake a spectacular set of tracks where nobody could miss them. They faked them out along the logging road where they wouldn't be missed.

They left as soon as they finished faking tracks because they were made so obvious to find. They did not fake the tracks at the hoax site. It was Labor day week. On August 27, John Green and Rene Dahinden flew down in a Cessna 185 to photograph the tracks and then tell Al Hodgson to call Roger. Because Roger had told them to do so. He pretended to be in Mt. St. Helens, but he had snuck in to bluff creek to meet Bob Heironimus and film the PGF.

Roger can't come back down right away because DeAtley hasn't developed the film yet. When the film is developed and edited, Roger returns to Bluff Creek to make the hoax announcement, and leave tracks that comport with the film they took. Bob Heironimus is in Yakima on 20 October 1967.

That's how they done it.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal