IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags alcoholics anonymous , alcoholism , treatment programs

Closed Thread
Old 1st August 2010, 06:32 AM   #441
Dancing David
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by hud View Post
I am only chiming in because of my personal experience again, so of course take with a grain of salt. I've never heard most of these things and except for a few Jesus freaks I've never seen anything I would describe as fanatical.

I think maybe I need to move somewhere else so as to experience the full AA program because mine is missing all the important elements you guys say make up the program.

To be fair one of those statements is close. There is a lot of talk about working the steps. No one put it to me quite that way, saying I "had" to.

I have only been going to meetings since 2006 so maybe there were a lot of changes made before then.
Hi Hud, you will note that I stated quite clearly that is the fanatic behavior of certain members of AA.

These are real things I have heard over and over again, not in all meetings, certainly and as I am human and limited in space/time, I do not know what sample they represent.

But I sure have heard them a lot. And in NA meetings as well.

You tend to here them more from the members in the social settings outside the meetings, but I have heard them plenty of times in meetings. It might have something to do with some contact with a lot of recovering addicts, residential rehab, IOP rehab as well.
Never underestimate the power of the Random Number God. More of evolutionary history is His doing than people think. - Dinwar
Dancing David is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st August 2010, 10:56 AM   #442
qayak
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by A.A.Alfie View Post
I have no doubt that increased binge drinking is true for virtually every relapse - AA or not.
You either have a comprehension problem or you are employing the same techniques fundamentalist religious groups use to defend their beliefs. Not sure which at this point.

Quote:
Yup.
Employing fundamentalist group think, it is.

Quote:
Except the World Health Organisation, the American Medical Association and other national authorities.
They are groups not evidence. The evidence used is pretty poor and you need to look at the drive to have these groups say this back in the day.

If the disease model is correct, why is their no medical treatment? Why are there no doctors overseeing A.A. meetings?

Would we expect Cancer Anonymous groups with people sitting around talking about their personal cancer experiences and, encouraging each other to just quit cancer, to have any effect on actually curing cancer?

Quote:
Fantastic!
Let's have them: Studies, organisations, models and statistics.
Go through the Orange papers again and go through the links like I did. I am tired of having to do you work because you are too lazy to do it yourself.

Quote:
The first part sounds right, the second not so much (could you point that out to me please - the bit about "no AA" without other sources).
Once again, go read. Their revenue comes from commercially run, alcohol treatment programs.

Quote:
What is actually said in tradition seven is:
"Every AA group ought to be fully self-supporting, declining outside contributions."
Just like a cult. The head makes a ****load of money while the individual cells struggle to operate. Why does the head need all that money if none of it trickles down?

Quote:
Where is this said (bold)?
Finance isn't your area is it?
Slush funds and capital purchases are vastly different.
You mean like the properties they own and the copyrights they fight over?

Quote:
Oh, and evidence please.
I had to find you stuff that was in your own bible Big Book. It is time to cut the apron strings and have you do your own research.

Quote:
??
It means there are a lot of other untruths in A.A. that I wasn't listing at that point.

Quote:
100%? I insist you support this ridiculous lie.
Do a little research, it becomes self evident if you actually read what others say and don't just follow A.A. indoctrination.

Quote:
And even if this were true, so what? More people are getting sober and that's a good thing
That's not what that means . . . what it means is that A.A. is having NO EFFECT on the number of alcoholics. They are relying on spontaneous remission for their cures and then telling the vulnerable/gullible that A.A. is the be all and end all of treatment. That is outright fraud.

Quote:
If someones' sobriety is rocked by the words of another, they are not taking full responsibility for themselves and their recovery . . .
I thought alcoholics were powerless against alcohol? It isn't the A.A. line to have them take responsibility, they are supposed to turn that over to their higher power.
Is all your life will ever be."
qayak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st August 2010, 11:17 AM   #443
Rasmus
Philosopher

Originally Posted by qayak View Post
If the disease model is correct, why is their no medical treatment? Why are there no doctors overseeing A.A. meetings?

Would we expect Cancer Anonymous groups with people sitting around talking about their personal cancer experiences and, encouraging each other to just quit cancer, to have any effect on actually curing cancer?
Also, we would expect treatments to actually work and we would expect them to improve. Even if it was not (yet) possible to cure the disease we would expect it to become easier to manage the disease as well as to live with it.

Look at pretty much any other disease and you'd see a development like this.

Also, if it was a disease, we would expect to see at least some explanation about it's development and the usual course the disease takes. Some explanation that is biological at its core.
Old 1st August 2010, 11:35 AM   #444
LizardLover
Student

From someone had substance problems and tried the AA/NA route, it is religious and despite what they tell you, they expect you to believe in "God". I went to my first AA meeting as NA meetings were very far and few inbetween in my city, and the AA people say they welcome anyone. Once you tell them you have a drug problem, they look at you weird, they can't understand how someone doing heroin or cocaine could have anything in common with them. Which to me, is completely ass backwards. You can do heroin, meth, cocaine and be hooked in a matter of weeks. To become a full blown alcoholic, you have to work at it for years and years, waking up in strange places, hangover after hangover, blackouts, etc to get yourself to the physical dependency that a hardcore user can get in a matter of weeks. Anyways, once they ostracize you a bit for not being a drunk, and let you into their circle, out comes the god. They "say" its ok, you can believe in anything you want or nothing at all, we're not pumping religion to you and try the "higher power can be anything you want" line, but say you're an atheist to the group, and you are ostracized even more! I went to maybe 50 meetings at different places over the city, hoping one would be more accepting and they weren't. NA finally started to pickup in my city, and I switched to that. Same crap, different initials. They don't push the religion as hard, but its still there. Also because with AA, the median age tends to be middle-age males, NA tends to be made up of a more diverse group and includes many more females, which turns it into some big wacked out dating game. You're clean, your penis is starting to work again for the first time in years and there are woman around who "know" what you're going through and everyone hooks up. Of course this always ends in failure because then their is two weak chains in a relationship, all it takes is one of you to justify using again and the other will usually go along in a second.

I am 11 years clean and I did it on my own, with the help of friends and support and nothing else. No methadone, no treatment place BS, no AA/NA, no pills, nothing. If you can't do it on your own, you are doomed to fail again because all you are doing is relying on crutches. If you are tempted to drink and the only thing that stopped you that day is going to a meeting, whats going to happen the next time its 4am, or your sponsor isn't home, or you're away on vacation. If you can't muster the strength to do it on your own, you will probably fail.

I'm not trying to say I'm superman, its hard, still 11 years later, I can take a drag of a cigarette and still swear I just tasted crack, smell some spoiled fruit and get a whiff of the decomp that smells almost like ether that is used in drug production, I watch people get high on intervention and it can make my heart race a little.

But I am clean, and sober and I have to thank GETTING AWAY from AA and NA for that. Staying there would have led me to probably getting high again just to deal with God everyday.
LizardLover is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st August 2010, 02:49 PM   #445
Tinyal
Thinker

Originally Posted by LizardLover View Post
If you can't do it on your own, you are doomed to fail again because all you are doing is relying on crutches.
That's a very good statement Lizardlover, your statements were spot on (most especially on the AA/NA differences and similarities) - you're doing great!!
Tinyal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st August 2010, 04:25 PM   #446
R.A.F.
Banned

Back in my drinking days, I was court ordered to attend AA following a DUI. When I told the AA leader that I was not at all a believer in any sort of "higher power", he told me, and this is a quote...

Fake it till you make it.

...in other words, it was fine to lie to myself, because "eventually"? I would believe.

AA is religion pure and simple, and forcing DUI offenders to attend is a violation of the separation of church and state...but like others, it was easier just to go along than to pay a ginormous fine/risk jail time.

..oh, and I quit drinking on my own...in the same manner that I quit smoking cigarettes.
R.A.F. is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st August 2010, 05:18 PM   #447
Hallo Alfie
Banned

They are groups not evidence. The evidence used is pretty poor and you need to look at the drive to have these groups say this back in the day.
They would seem to me to be the ones best placed to make a decision - far better that you or me.
So what else do you have except your personal and unqualified opinion?

There is treatment - detox, rehab, maintenance.

Why are there no doctors in AA? I am incredulous you need to ask this actually. Because AA is voluntary mantenance.

Would we expect chemotherapy for an ingrown toenail? Amputation for an ear ache? Psychiatry for a bladder infection?
Hardly - different treatments for different diseases is the obvious answer to this ridiculous point.

Go through the Orange papers again and go through the links like I did.
You claimed it, now prove it.

Seems (I know) you can't.

Once again, go read. Their revenue comes from commercially run, alcohol treatment programs.
Ditto above?

It means there are a lot of other untruths in A.A. that I wasn't listing at that point.
Hmm... compelling, thought provoking. I think you have just found a new a low in debating techniques.

I thought alcoholics were powerless against alcohol? It isn't the A.A. line to have them take responsibility, they are supposed to turn that over to their higher power.
And right here you prove you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

The powerlessness is over alcohol, not the rest of our lives.
Responsibility, self improvement, justice, integrity and honesty (there are more) are the types of values that are encouraged/suggested as part of the program of recovery.

So in summary

You don't know what you are talking about.
You make up lies, then either
- ask others to find the proof for themselves and/or;
- refer them to a one-mans-cruisade-against-AA website as evidence of what AA does, rather than provide actual 'source-evidence'.
And either way, your lies remain unsupported.

Noted.

And yes, now I am calling you a liar, of the unmitigated kind

The laughing dog is being readied for your future posts.

Last edited by Hallo Alfie; 1st August 2010 at 06:01 PM.
Hallo Alfie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st August 2010, 06:04 PM   #448
Tinyal
Thinker

What part of 'powerless over alcohol & that our lives had become unmanageable' do you not understand AAAlfie?

It seems clear from your posts you don't understand the 'unmanageable' part, as that clearly doesn't refer to alcohol. From my personal attendance at 1000's of AA meetings over the years, as well as intensive study of core & archival AA material, I would say a significant majority of AA members sober 1 year or more (you know - the successful ones?) understand the 1st step to refer to much more than just alcohol - in fact, a solid majority understand it just the way Bill (actually, Shoemaker - though I don't expect you to know that, as there appears an awlful lot you dont' know about AA. This isn't surprising), their sponsors, and the group intended it.

I won't even bother attempting to teach you a bit about the steps, as I would suppose my running step study meetings & conferences for nearly a decade all over the country - by local & regional requests - wouldn't meet your need for me to be 'qualified'.

As for the rest of your post - no change from your previous ones. Bare assertions, half-truths, attacks on posters here, and lies.

Par for the course from cult members of any kind.

Whatever program you are practicing, if it works for you - go for it.

But it's not AA.

Last edited by Tinyal; 1st August 2010 at 06:06 PM.
Tinyal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st August 2010, 06:37 PM   #449
Hallo Alfie
Banned

Originally Posted by Tinyal View Post
What part of 'powerless over alcohol & that our lives had become unmanageable' do you not understand AAAlfie?

It seems clear from your posts you don't understand the 'unmanageable' part, as that clearly doesn't refer to alcohol. From my personal attendance at 1000's of AA meetings over the years, as well as intensive study of core & archival AA material, I would say a significant majority of AA members sober 1 year or more (you know - the successful ones?) understand the 1st step to refer to much more than just alcohol - in fact, a solid majority understand it just the way Bill (actually, Shoemaker - though I don't expect you to know that, as there appears an awlful lot you dont' know about AA. This isn't surprising), their sponsors, and the group intended it.

I won't even bother attempting to teach you a bit about the steps, as I would suppose my running step study meetings & conferences for nearly a decade all over the country - by local & regional requests - wouldn't meet your need for me to be 'qualified'.

As for the rest of your post - no change from your previous ones. Bare assertions, half-truths, attacks on posters here, and lies.

Par for the course from cult members of any kind.

Whatever program you are practicing, if it works for you - go for it.

But it's not AA.

Clearly you and I have differing unsderstandings: I too 'teach' the 12 and 12 (formally and informally), I too have done thousands and thousand of meetings,12 and 12 studies and read lots of literature (internal and external). The difference between you and me is you seem to really hate AA, (yet you still go) and I love AA including its failings.
Today I haven't had a drink, and today you haven't (presumably).

Qayak is a liar.
You and I differ in opinions.

AA can be done anyway one likes, you seem to think you are somehow unique that you reject religion and don't therefor do AA. Good for you. However I can assure you that you are not unique.

But the bottom line is, if it works for you, it works. And you keep going back!

Last edited by Hallo Alfie; 1st August 2010 at 06:40 PM.
Hallo Alfie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd August 2010, 02:41 AM   #450
Belz...
Fiend God

On the contary, anything can be ones higher power;
But this is just you playing with words. It's obvious what the intent of the term "higher power" as it relates to AA originally was. And it continues to be so. That individuals can "cheat" and place their faith in the Flying Spaghetti Monster doesn't change the fact that AA is a Christian organisation.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd August 2010, 02:45 AM   #451
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by hud View Post
This is my thinking exactly..

What my advice is when people ask: Try everything. Try AA, therapy, cold turkey, anything and everything in whatever order you want. There's no tried and true way to quit. Different methods work for different people and none of them work all that well. But the more you try the better chance you'll find one that works.
That's nice. What does it have to do with AA being religious, again ?

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd August 2010, 04:02 AM   #452
Hallo Alfie
Banned

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
But this is just you playing with words. It's obvious what the intent of the term "higher power" as it relates to AA originally was. And it continues to be so. That individuals can "cheat" and place their faith in the Flying Spaghetti Monster doesn't change the fact that AA is a Christian organisation.
Why then are atheists and agnostics like Tinyal accepted?
Why are Buddists?
Jews?
Moslems?
Hindus?
And any other we could care to name?

Sure, it was born of some Christian beliefs, but its 'teachings' are that of sobriety.

If it is indeed religious, what religion is it teaching when all these other believers and non-believers are equally included, welcomed and loved?

So, what religion is it?
And when answering that, tell me what religion in India, Pakistan, Nepal, South Africa, Morocco, Mozambique, Namibia, Singapore, Vietnam, Solomon Islands? and on and on I could go.

What religion is it?

Last edited by Hallo Alfie; 2nd August 2010 at 04:10 AM.
Old 2nd August 2010, 04:53 AM   #453
Dancing David
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Rasmus View Post
Also, we would expect treatments to actually work and we would expect them to improve. Even if it was not (yet) possible to cure the disease we would expect it to become easier to manage the disease as well as to live with it.

Look at pretty much any other disease and you'd see a development like this.

Also, if it was a disease, we would expect to see at least some explanation about it's development and the usual course the disease takes. Some explanation that is biological at its core.
The disease model is bogus, what i would say is this:
-there are physical effects from alcohol use
-there are biological predispositions to alcohol abuse

BUT addictions are behavioral disorders.
Never underestimate the power of the Random Number God. More of evolutionary history is His doing than people think. - Dinwar

Last edited by Dancing David; 2nd August 2010 at 05:18 AM. Reason: usual typos
Dancing David is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd August 2010, 04:58 AM   #454
Dancing David
Penultimate Amazing

They would seem to me to be the ones best placed to make a decision - far better that you or me.
Just like the Pope is qualified to define god.
Quote:
So what else do you have except your personal and unqualified opinion?
Sorry AA Alfie, that does meet the criteria for Bigfoot, alien abduction and homeopathy.

That is not sciemce nor does it play science on TV, that is appeal to popular authority of a priviledged group.
Old 2nd August 2010, 05:11 AM   #455
Hallo Alfie
Banned

Originally Posted by Dancing David View Post
Just like the Pope is qualified to define god.
Are you saying the medical groups and experts are unqualified to make this determination?

Sorry AA Alfie, that does meet the criteria for Bigfoot, alien abduction and homeopathy.
That would be Qayak's basis for comment it seems.
Old 2nd August 2010, 05:21 AM   #456
Dancing David
Penultimate Amazing

Are you saying the medical groups and experts are unqualified to make this determination?
that would depend on the determination, now wouldn't?
Attendance at AA meetings and binge drinking may have a correlation, that does not imply causation.

You show me the data and then we can decide if it is even a reasobaly high enough correlation

But just saying "medical groups and experts " is an appeal to authority, show me the data.
Old 2nd August 2010, 05:43 AM   #457
stevea
Master Poster

Originally Posted by calebprime View Post
6) The plural of anecdotes is not evidence.
That everything you've said is wrong, point by point, and that you haven't read the thread.
I'll allow the other 5, but the plural of anecdote IS data, not evidence. Perhaps you should consider the difference.
stevea is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd August 2010, 09:02 AM   #458
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by AlBell View Post
Participation in atheist dominated sites like this one gloss over the fact that the great majority of humans appear to have no problem with the possible existence of a higher power, and, if alcoholics, may find AA useful.
Yes, most people don't use critical thinking. Your point ?

Old 2nd August 2010, 09:04 AM   #459
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Drysdale View Post
To the naysayers...it works.

If you dont agree with it, dont go.
Not that hard a concept.
The same can be said of alternative medecine, dangerous religious cults or other such things.

However, it is not an argument.

Old 2nd August 2010, 09:13 AM   #460
Belz...
Fiend God

As to a higher power, I'd suggest an atheist consider the parts of his mind that used to be termed subconcious as his "higher power"; using his conscious mind to the best of his abilities got him where he's finally decided he needs help with his alcoholism, which is actually help with living a rational life.
Word salad.

The unconscious mind is a decidedly LOWER power.

Old 2nd August 2010, 09:14 AM   #461
Belz...
Fiend God

Why are Buddists?
Jews?
Moslems?
Hindus?
Because religious people tend to see more in common with other woo-woos than they do with those who don't believe. Look at the muslims for instance. Some passages in their books tell them to hate Jews and other non-mulsims, but to simply kill the atheists on sight. Lovely.

Old 2nd August 2010, 09:27 AM   #462
calebprime
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by stevea View Post
I'll allow the other 5, but the plural of anecdote IS data, not evidence. Perhaps you should consider the difference.
I regret my snippy tone.

And, I agree I was reaching there, going for six for six.

I'm not sure I understand the distinction you're making, but I do think that JREFers can be a little dismissive of testimony of people who know what they're talking about.

So far, the most persuasive thing I've read has been the Vaillant study, in which a true believer's own statistics seem to show that AA isn't that effective.

I'd like to see AA believers show what's wrong with that study.

So far, (and I may have missed it), they haven't.

I don't really have a pitbull in this fight, other than the fact that I don't join groups and don't respond well to group dynamics of any kind. Wherever three or more are gathered, I try not to be. I mean this both literally and figuratively.

So, I tend to be biased against groups when thinking about things that might work for me. (This isn't an issue I need to face, nor does anyone I'm close to.)

However, there are people here I respect who don't feel that way, such as Dancing David, and my wife.

What I find interesting is that AA has a very good image--if you're talking about newspaper coverage, TV, and movies--and it may or may not be justified.
calebprime is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd August 2010, 10:31 AM   #463
tsig
a carbon based life-form

Why are Buddists?
Jews?
Moslems?
Hindus?

Sure, it was born of some Christian beliefs, but its 'teachings' are that of sobriety.

If it is indeed religious, what religion is it teaching when all these other believers and non-believers are equally included, welcomed and loved?

So, what religion is it?
And when answering that, tell me what religion in India, Pakistan, Nepal, South Africa, Morocco, Mozambique, Namibia, Singapore, Vietnam, Solomon Islands? and on and on I could go.

What religion is it?
Sounds like you worship your sobriety. You surely manage to mention it on almost all your posts both here and in other threads. How many medals do you want?
tsig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd August 2010, 10:33 AM   #464
tsig
a carbon based life-form

Originally Posted by stevea View Post
The plural of anecdote is anecdotes. A million anecdotes can be blown away by one piece of data.

Last edited by tsig; 2nd August 2010 at 10:34 AM.
tsig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd August 2010, 12:55 PM   #465
AlBell
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Belz...
Participation in atheist dominated sites like this one gloss over the fact that the great majority of humans appear to have no problem with the possible existence of a higher power, and, if alcoholics, may find AA useful.
Yes, most people don't use critical thinking. Your point ?
My point is one you'll never understand; others might.

Originally Posted by Belz...
As to a higher power, I'd suggest an atheist consider the parts of his mind that used to be termed subconcious as his "higher power"; using his conscious mind to the best of his abilities got him where he's finally decided he needs help with his alcoholism, which is actually help with living a rational life.
Word salad.

The unconscious mind is a decidedly LOWER power.
Speaking of word salad, so was that.
AlBell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd August 2010, 05:26 PM   #466
Hallo Alfie
Banned

that would depend on the determination, now wouldn't?
Attendance at AA meetings and binge drinking may have a correlation, that does not imply causation.

You show me the data and then we can decide if it is even a reasobaly high enough correlation

But just saying "medical groups and experts " is an appeal to authority, show me the data.
You and I might be on different pages here. I was talking about the acceptance at that level of the disease concept, not the binge drinking.

Because religious people tend to see more in common with other woo-woos than they do with those who don't believe. Look at the muslims for instance. Some passages in their books tell them to hate Jews and other non-mulsims, but to simply kill the atheists on sight. Lovely.

That's nice, but it doesnt answer the question as to what religion is being taught when all are welcome.

Dodge noted

Originally Posted by tsig View Post
Sounds like you worship your sobriety. You surely manage to mention it on almost all your posts both here and in other threads. How many medals do you want?
Close, I cherish my sobriety as it was so hard to get.

What sort of medals do you have?

Dodge also noted.
Old 2nd August 2010, 05:28 PM   #467
godofpie
Chief Cook & Bottle Washer

Originally Posted by Tinyal View Post
Aren't you just the perfect picture of loving AA kindness towards a fellow human being you basically know (from reading his posts) shouldn't drink?

Prolly shouldn't type either. Someone's resentment is showing. Wanna talk about it?
godofpie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd August 2010, 02:52 AM   #468
Mr.D
Self Assessed Dunning-Kruger Expert

BUT addictions are behavioral disorders.
What does the best science of today say about treatment of behavioral disorders? I thought Cognitive Behavior Therapy was the generally accepted best treatment.

No sarcasm here at all, by the way. I'm genuinely curious about where addiction falls amongst other behavior disorders like OCD or phobias as far as treatment and etiology.
Old 3rd August 2010, 02:58 AM   #469
Mr.D
Self Assessed Dunning-Kruger Expert

I'm curious as to where (in general terms) thread participants have been to AA meetings because there seems to be a vast difference between my experience and some of the experiences described.

I suppose it's no secret from my posts elsewhere on the forum that I live in Hawaii, so I'll just come right out and say it's where I've been to the vast majority of my 12-step meetings (mostly AA, some NA). I am quite aware that there are a handful of "bible thumper*" meetings out there but those are the exception in my experience.

Part of this is certainly the choice of meetings I go to - so called "young persons" meetings, which are fairly culturally diverse, mostly religiously neutral (ie, explicitly agnostic, non church attending or vaguely nondenominational Christian-ish)

Also, the only place I've ever run into a cold shoulder as far as different substances, is local NA. I've found NA here to be a bit standoffish with self-identified alcoholics (as opposed to addicts), with a superior (or is it inferior?) attitude of "everyone drinks, now crack/speed/meth is a _real_ addiction")

* Entertainingly for me in the context of this thread, there's one meeting in particular that I've heard described as being "not real AA" because it's "too religious!"
Old 3rd August 2010, 02:59 AM   #470
Belz...
Fiend God

My point is one you'll never understand; others might.
How can NOT thinking rationally bring understanding ?

Quote:
Speaking of word salad, so was that.
Do you even know what "word salad" means ?

Old 3rd August 2010, 03:00 AM   #471
Belz...
Fiend God

That's nice, but it doesnt answer the question as to what religion is being taught when all are welcome.

Dodge noted
How is it a dodge when I actually gave you an answer ?

Seriously, do any of you know what the words you use mean ?

Old 3rd August 2010, 03:21 AM   #472
Hallo Alfie
Banned

How is it a dodge when I actually gave you an answer ?

Seriously, do any of you know what the words you use mean ?
Nice try, no cigar.
The accusation of dodge stands on the basis that:

The question was (and remains) "what religion is being taught" when all these differing beliefs (and non-beliefs) can come happily together under one roof?

Last edited by Hallo Alfie; 3rd August 2010 at 03:26 AM.
Old 3rd August 2010, 03:24 AM   #473
Gandalfs Beard
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Mr.D View Post
I'm curious as to where (in general terms) thread participants have been to AA meetings because there seems to be a vast difference between my experience and some of the experiences described.

I suppose it's no secret from my posts elsewhere on the forum that I live in Hawaii, so I'll just come right out and say it's where I've been to the vast majority of my 12-step meetings (mostly AA, some NA). I am quite aware that there are a handful of "bible thumper*" meetings out there but those are the exception in my experience.

Part of this is certainly the choice of meetings I go to - so called "young persons" meetings, which are fairly culturally diverse, mostly religiously neutral (ie, explicitly agnostic, non church attending or vaguely nondenominational Christian-ish)

Also, the only place I've ever run into a cold shoulder as far as different substances, is local NA. I've found NA here to be a bit standoffish with self-identified alcoholics (as opposed to addicts), with a superior (or is it inferior?) attitude of "everyone drinks, now crack/speed/meth is a _real_ addiction")

* Entertainingly for me in the context of this thread, there's one meeting in particular that I've heard described as being "not real AA" because it's "too religious!"

I've been to AA and NA meetings in one of the three corners of the Liberal Triangle of San Francisco, Berkeley, and Santa Cruz. You'd think they would be as secular as all get out eh! You'd think wrong.

Again, the proof of religiosity is in the Steps themselves, no matter how people try to deny it, or ignore it.

GB

Non-theistic Pagan Agnostic, or Gnostic Agnostic--depending on the day of the week.

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence--Carl Sagan
Gandalfs Beard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd August 2010, 03:31 AM   #474
Gandalfs Beard
Graduate Poster

The question was "what religion is being taught" when all these differning beliefs (and non-beliefs) can come happily together under one roof?
No Cigar for you .

It's been pointed out time and again that the religious tenets (the 12 Steps) are Christian. The fact that some groups attempt to Universalize or New Ageize their particular branch of AA does little to hide this fact. The core teachings are still Theistic. And the "Central Office" of AA Officialdom is still unabashedly Christian.

GB

Non-theistic Pagan Agnostic, or Gnostic Agnostic--depending on the day of the week.

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence--Carl Sagan

Last edited by Gandalfs Beard; 3rd August 2010 at 03:32 AM.
Gandalfs Beard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd August 2010, 05:58 AM   #475
Dancing David
Penultimate Amazing

You and I might be on different pages here. I was talking about the acceptance at that level of the disease concept, not the binge drinking.

Ah, okay, well so the statement of a select group choosing a nomenclature that does not meet the definition of disease still applies.

It is a mental disorder, it does not have to involve withdrawal effects and therefore it is NOT a disease in the general sense.

It is a behavioral disorder. Just because of bunch of people decide that it is also a spiritual disorder, in groups that think it is effective to call it a spiritual disorder does not mean that it is a spiritual disorder.

It is a physical process as are ALL mental disorders AA Alfie, there is no dualistic separation from the mind and body, all minds are just brain processes.

So it is not a disease.

1. Some people who are alcoholics do not have a biological predisposition of alcoholism (i.e. they are not Type II alcoholics).
2. Some people who are alcoholics do not have physical withdrawal symptoms.

Therefore it is not a disease, it is a behavioral disorder like all addictions using a substance that in some cases will cause a physical withdrawal syndrome.

It is less of a disease that schizophrenia.
Old 3rd August 2010, 06:02 AM   #476
Dancing David
Penultimate Amazing

What does the best science of today say about treatment of behavioral disorders? I thought Cognitive Behavior Therapy was the generally accepted best treatment.

No sarcasm here at all, by the way. I'm genuinely curious about where addiction falls amongst other behavior disorders like OCD or phobias as far as treatment and etiology.
It can, but again longitudinal studies are expensive. The relapse prevention model is a loose CBT model.

There is less of a 'broken process' that is common to addiction that there is in OCD and some anxieties.

the formations of 'biological predipositions' to alcohol addictions are being studied, but are not really mapped out.
Old 3rd August 2010, 06:03 AM   #477
Dancing David
Penultimate Amazing

[/size]
Central Illinois, squarely in the bible belt.
Old 3rd August 2010, 06:13 AM   #478
Hallo Alfie
Banned

If you say so. But in the meantime and until otherwise stipulated, I will stick with what the actual authorities have to say (as evidenced in previous posts).

Ultimately who gives a damn what it is. People are sick and dying out there and their loved ones suffer greatly to boot. Assistance needs to be given; and discussing the ins and outs of the rats bum on these issues does nothing for those that do suffer directly and indirectly.

Not that many will care but, for mine, the disease concept is just fine; AA is not religious (as any religion can play) but is has a spiritual element if one cares to take it up; AA has suggested steps and the only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking; AA helps some but not all.
And until we find some actual 'cure' for it we need to throw as many possibilities out there as we can.

So talking on the internet about this achieves nothing, and ultimately I am not going to change the minds already made up, nor you mine.

I will continue to help the suffering alcoholic, addict and their loved ones however I can, sometimes that is 12 step-type work, sometimes counselling, sometimes detox and rehab, sometimes financial assistance and sometimes lkife skills training.

What are you guys doing?
Old 3rd August 2010, 07:43 AM   #479
Safe-Keeper
Penultimate Amazing

Why are Buddists?
Jews?
Moslems?
Hindus?

So, what religion is it?

What religion is it?
Many churches, too, allow non-believers in, in part because Christianity is a welcoming, open religon, and in part because they're hoping for converts.

Quote:
I will continue to help the suffering alcoholic, addict and their loved ones however I can, sometimes that is 12 step-type work, sometimes counselling, sometimes detox and rehab, sometimes financial assistance and sometimes lkife skills training.

What are you guys doing?
Volunteered at a street magazine, three hours a week, for three quarters of a year. Buy the magazine every month. Donate money to groups that help prostitutes, the homeless and drug addicts.
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."--Stacyhs
"If you are still hung up on that whole words-have-meaning thing, then 2020 is going to be a long year for you." --Ladewig

Last edited by Safe-Keeper; 3rd August 2010 at 08:01 AM.
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd August 2010, 10:39 AM   #480
Dancing David
Penultimate Amazing

If you say so. But in the meantime and until otherwise stipulated, I will stick with what the actual authorities have to say (as evidenced in previous posts).
Appeal to authority, okay.
Quote:

Ultimately who gives a damn what it is. People are sick and dying out there and their loved ones suffer greatly to boot. Assistance needs to be given; and discussing the ins and outs of the rats bum on these issues does nothing for those that do suffer directly and indirectly.
Don't fall off your high horse AA Alfie, this is an internet forum, but if you want to pump up your ego, go right ahead.
Quote:

Not that many will care but, for mine, the disease concept is just fine; AA is not religious (as any religion can play) but is has a spiritual element if one cares to take it up; AA has suggested steps and the only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking; AA helps some but not all.
And until we find some actual 'cure' for it we need to throw as many possibilities out there as we can.

So talking on the internet about this achieves nothing, and ultimately I am not going to change the minds already made up, nor you mine.

What are you guys doing?
You must be so confident in your skills to break your arm patting yoursekf on the back.
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy