IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags alcoholics anonymous , alcoholism , treatment programs

Closed Thread
Old 20th July 2010, 10:22 PM   #81
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Sledge View Post
And your point...?
We have to have a point now? That is going to severely restrict my ability to post.

First it was capitalization. Then they wanted grammar and punctuation. Then spelling. Now a coherent point? I cry forum Nazis, um tyrants!
marplots is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th July 2010, 10:32 PM   #82
jakesteele
Fait Accompli

Dunstan;6143317](adjusted the emphasis)

Whether that is a "better" result depends on the goal, doesn't it? If you assume that the goal is abstinence, then it's unsurprising that AA would do better. But a "mere reduction in drinking" may be closer to the ideal for many people.
Quote:
If I was an alcoholic, I'd look much more favorably on a program that could get me back to being a normal person who can handle a few drinks from time to time (assuming such a thing is possible, which I realize AA denies) as opposed to one that requires me to abstain forever.
Which is exactly what every alcoholic does at first. Obviously, that doesn't work for the majority of A.A. members. If it did, they wouldn't be members of A.A.

I have also seen a fair number of people with drug/alcohol problems stop using by a number of different. Christianity, psychotherapy, doing it on your own after having some kind of 'eye opening' experience that shook them to the core.

A.A. has saying, "People who don't go to meetings don't find out what happens to people who don't go to meetings." I have always played the Devil's Advocate and would say, "People who go to meetings don't find out what happens to people who don't go to meetings. Why, because they're sitting in a smoke filled room in a dark eddy of life while everybody is out there living it. Needless to say, that never went over very well.

I mean, if we were comparing the success of "sex addiction treatments," would we say that Treatment X is "better" if it has a higher rate of getting people to abstain from all sex than Treatment Y which allows for healthy sexual relationships?[/quote]

Life is God’s funniest joke
And we are the punchline
jakesteele is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th July 2010, 10:32 PM   #83
KodeBlue
Scholar

the only thing i'm recovering from is my catholic upbringing!
KodeBlue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th July 2010, 10:39 PM   #84
jakesteele
Fait Accompli

Originally Posted by Complexity View Post
AA is religious.

Quote:
'Spiritual' is a woo word. It often is used as cover for religion. Even when there is no apparent religious aspects to 'spiritual' thought, there are always woo aspects.
I had a therapist that I really liked, but he asserted that I was spiritual even though I wasn't religious. I assured him that I was not.
What the hell is a woo word? Please define woo. Personally, I define spirituality this way: Good spirituality begins with healthy emotionality. There's nothing wooish about that. It just means the process of growth, change, the self honesty required to do so, etc.

And we are the punchline
jakesteele is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th July 2010, 10:41 PM   #85
jakesteele
Fait Accompli

Originally Posted by Complexity View Post
Nonsense.

'Woo' is a nearly perfect word.

Woo beliefs, people, and behavior are the problem.
And Pseudo is a perfect word. Bigoted, intolerant people with arrogantly assumptive behavior are the real problem.

And we are the punchline
Old 21st July 2010, 04:25 AM   #86
Hallo Alfie
Banned

Trolling the internet looking for some answers into what I believe is spirituality, I found this article. I must say it encapsulates my feelings and beliefs pretty well, and perhaps it gives a little further insight into the way some of us approach and develop our own spirituality, whilst devoid of religion.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...062000751.html

Quote:
I do not follow any particular religion, rather I consider myself to be an inquisitive agnostic. Not following a religion and having an agnostic leaning doesn't mean that I lack a sense of spirituality.

Instead of having rituals or teachings prescribed by a religious faith, I developed my own ways to get in touch with my spiritual side. I base my spirituality and beliefs on my interpretation of facts rather than faith, and I consider my quest for knowledge and my spirituality linked.

Reading the histories and teachings behind various religious faiths and having lively discussions and debates with believers and non-believers allows me to feel spiritually alive. I find spirituality in appreciating beautiful art, literature and music as well as from feeling love from family and friends. Taking long walks in the woods near my house, appreciating all the beauty around me and becoming one with nature also awakens my spiritual side.

To some people the concept of a "spiritual agnostic" may be an oxymoron, but I believe that one does not have to possess faith in a higher power or a particular religion in order to be spiritual. Spirituality is highly personal, and all people, including atheists and agnostics, can have a spiritual side. I feel fortunate to have been able to tap into my spirituality and still maintain my agnostic viewpoint.
Hallo Alfie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st July 2010, 04:44 AM   #87
Dancing David
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by imagineaa View Post
I agree, it's upsetting and wrong.

I would argue it's not only spiritual, not only religious--it's monotheistic and Protestant. The emotional highs and lows (did you ever notice how much they laugh at AA meetings and then they're crying the next minute?), the praying, the endless self deprecation, repeating one's sins over and over, cognitive dissonance, powerlessness, edict to help others....all smacks of Protestantism to me.

There are secular self help options, though not as many. (Want to hear my theory about why? Because secularism doesn't preach dependence on a group as the only vehicle to recovery. Not that some people don't need or want that, but not everyone does.)

There are online secular self help groups.

The thing to remember is it's all self help, not professional treatment. I don't find it surprising that a room full of people with the same issue, with no professional training or obligation to exercise good technique and boundaries, don't help each other that much.

People do question AA being religious. All the time, in fact.

One person took it to court--now in my state judges can't compel a person to go to AA because it is forcing someone to practice religion.

Great post, protestant values and the puritan values are a mess maker of guilt and shame in the US.

I think that the other thing that is often stressed by women and others is that Bill W. and the other founders of AA were powerfull men, who were a part of the power brokers of their society. And that AA, even today is mainly a guy thing, dominated by male culture and mores.
Never underestimate the power of the Random Number God. More of evolutionary history is His doing than people think. - Dinwar
Dancing David is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st July 2010, 04:48 AM   #88
Dancing David
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by calebprime View Post
I'm not disagreeing with the thrust of your post, but I can't help being reminded of this notorious bit of Scientology rhetoric:

""You could jump off a bridge or blow your brains out, it'd be stupid, but the choice is yours".

Because you seem to reference Scientology (by repudiating any similiarity), maybe this is a sly allusion.
Nah, one predates the other. AA has a huge store of little quotes and moral saysings.

My favorite, and it is supposedly a bulgarian proverb is:

"If you wish to drown, do not torture yourself with shallow water."

and while I went and blacked out the word god in many daily reader books, I also like

'Pray to god, but row to shore.'
Never underestimate the power of the Random Number God. More of evolutionary history is His doing than people think. - Dinwar
Dancing David is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st July 2010, 04:59 AM   #89
Dancing David
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by A.A.Alfie View Post
That is precisely what the skull jockeys would call psychosocial health. You are starting to get it. The social interaction is a very important part of AA. It certainly isn't all "religious" as you call it. It is a many faceted diamond - don't get bogged down with one aspect, look to the whole.
Oook, pllease don't drag the already defamed psychology for this.

Here is the relapse preention model in short, it works best in people who have abuse issues but can work with people who are dependant "If they work it!" ( )

1. Take care of your self.
-create your safety plan
-nutrition
-exercise
-medical care
-employment or other day activity not associated with use
-social networks not associated with use
-self care not associated with use

2. When at risk:
-get out
-get help IE use your safety plan

The safety plan has two components
-Emergency
--things to do and resources to use when at risk
--if you use, stop right away do not continue, run like heck away

-Ongoing
--evaluate risk
--plan to avoid risk
--modify behaviors

ETA:

this can be simply modified into a harm reduction model as well, which is an intermediate step.
Old 21st July 2010, 05:02 AM   #90
calebprime
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Dancing David View Post
Nah, one predates the other. AA has a huge store of little quotes and moral saysings.

My favorite, and it is supposedly a bulgarian proverb is:

"If you wish to drown, do not torture yourself with shallow water."

and while I went and blacked out the word god in many daily reader books, I also like

'Pray to god, but row to shore.'
That makes sense.

To the extent I had a point at all, it was that I was noticing a similarity in presenting a stark alternative.

That is probably appropriate for people with serious drinking problems.

But surely there are non-joiner types, like Guy Waterman*, Piggy, or me*, who just quit whatever our bad habits are on our own.

Not a major point.

Carry on.

*Not a poster boy for mental health, but his story sprang to mind.

*idem
calebprime is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st July 2010, 05:21 AM   #91
Hallo Alfie
Banned

Oook, pllease don't drag the already defamed psychology for this.

Here is the relapse preention model in short, it works best in people who have abuse issues but can work with people who are dependant "If they work it!" ( )

1. Take care of your self.
-create your safety plan
-nutrition
-exercise
-medical care
-employment or other day activity not associated with use
-social networks not associated with use
-self care not associated with use

2. When at risk:
-get out
-get help IE use your safety plan

The safety plan has two components
-Emergency
--things to do and resources to use when at risk
--if you use, stop right away do not continue, run like heck away

-Ongoing
--evaluate risk
--plan to avoid risk
--modify behaviors

ETA:

this can be simply modified into a harm reduction model as well, which is an intermediate step.
I agree with all that, too. Much of which is 'taught' in 12 step fellowships. As I said, the program is multi-faceted (whether you actually use the steps or not), these facets might include:
- your model above.
- Something I like to call CRT (constant reminder therapy)
- getting honest with yourself.
- Changing old thoughts and behaviours and replacing them with healthy ones (as per your model also).
- Social interaction, development of new social networks and supports *i.e. psychosocial and/or spiritual development).
- Ego deflation, creation of healthy personal boundaries, stopping emotional investment in outcomes (i.e. expectations).
- Re/connection with your chosen religion (if one wishes).

You have described an integral part of recovery which is maintenance, while much of what you have listed encompasses that, the CRT and support networks remain invaluable and desirous for many. Clearly AA includes what you describe as "social networks not associated with use". And it is free, easily accessable and filled with people who have the same problems or have succesfully managed their way through similar/same.

In general terms, I'm not sure we aren't that far away from one another when all is said and done.
Hallo Alfie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st July 2010, 06:47 AM   #92
Sledge
Grammaton Cleric

Trolling the internet looking for some answers into what I believe is spirituality, I found this article. I must say it encapsulates my feelings and beliefs pretty well, and perhaps it gives a little further insight into the way some of us approach and develop our own spirituality, whilst devoid of religion.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...062000751.html
But what does it MEAN? What is spirituality? What is the spiritual side to a person? Based on that article, I'd assume it was the back side. Are you saying that spirituality is crap?

"Science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it would stop" ~ Dara O'Briain.
Sledge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st July 2010, 06:56 AM   #93
Hallo Alfie
Banned

But what does it MEAN? What is spirituality? What is the spiritual side to a person? Based on that article, I'd assume it was the back side. Are you saying that spirituality is crap?
No, seems you might be though. However, I would suggest you need to return to school for some lessons in comprehension and the written word - you clearly have some difficulty in this area. If, as you say, you did read the article, you should really be able to determine what spirituality means to the writer.

I have made efforts to explain what it means to me, others too have tried.

Too bad if it doesn't fit your beliefs or understanding, but frankly - no-one cares.

It seems you too have an axe to grind: Why not tell me why, perhaps I can help.
Old 21st July 2010, 07:12 AM   #94
Pup
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Dymanic View Post
So if a bowling league didn't place any such expectation upon its members but left that sort of thing up to the discretion of the individual instead, and did not require its members to conform to any norm, religious or otherwise, and if the primary purpose of the group was bowling rather than lengthy discussion of higher powers and whatnot, and even though its membership might include some who were religious and who perhaps were even convinced that contact with some god improved their game and talked about that while bowling, you would not consider it a religious group.

Right?
If a bowling group had twelve official steps written into the club bylaws and one of the steps talked about using a higher power to improve their skill at bowling, it wouldn't fit that definition.

Given the choice of a bowling group that had that in its bylaws, and one that didn't, I can imagine which an atheist would look first toward joining, all else being equal. That in itself shows the bias.
Pup is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st July 2010, 07:13 AM   #95
Pup
Philosopher

You are starting to get it. The social interaction is a very important part of AA. It certainly isn't all "religious" as you call it. It is a many faceted diamond - don't get bogged down with one aspect, look to the whole.
You sound like you're trying to recruit or something. In fact, it sounds just like a sales pitch or a religous person talking about their church.

I'm not interested in joining AA; I'm interested in seeing how or why people spin things the way they do and how pervasive religion is in American society even when people disingenously claim it isn't.

There seems to be a strong undercurrent of recruiting here, with overtones of "it's all voluntary, we don't care." Just from your replies to my posts, it feels more like talking to a cult recruiter than anything else.
Pup is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st July 2010, 08:09 AM   #96
Nursefoxfire
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Nanny Ogg View Post
I'm dealing with a spouse who has alcohol issues. His first therapist (social worker) told him to go to a Beginner's AA meeting, and to "Keep An Open Mind."

He went, and was instantly uncomfortable. Not only was Jesus Christ mentioned constantly as the Savior, but the meeting ended with, "The Lord's Prayer."

He related this to the social worker, who berated him for not going to a Beginner's meeting. (Which it WAS listed as.) And then told him that, "The Lord's Prayer" is not really religious, anyway.

My husband now sees a psychologist who specializes in cognitive behavior and doesn't push AA.

Now I'm furious that MY new therapist is telling me that AA would be a good resource for my husband. "It's not religious, it's spiritual," and "Your higher power can be anything at all, the ocean, even yourself."

I'm not confrontational, and I tried to remember some of the advice I've received here about debating. I told her that I had done research on AA, that it had a 5% success rate, and that the Supreme Court had ruled that it was religious. Then I started to get emotional and told her that it was all based on a Buchmanite group designed to get people to accept Christ as the Savior, and that the Higher Power stuff was nonsense, since sure, it starts out as, "the ocean," but ends up referring to God. And the "higher power" definitely CANNOT be yourself, since it has to be some outside force. As Henry Ford said of his cars, you can have any color you want so long as it's black. Well, you can have any Higher Power you want so long as it's God.

As former Catholics, my husband and I tend to get a bit touchy when religion is sold to us. It is very difficult to get away from, "Magical Thinking," and I've been working so hard to restructure my thoughts, to think more critically, to learn about logic, and to question things. And it took a lot for me to "talk back" to my therapist about this, and I still feel guilty, like I should just accept it as good advice. Such is the mark that being a good little Catholic girl leaves on person.

I feel so angry that the majority of people don't question AA at all.
I'm very sorry that you and your husband are going through this. Struggling with alcoholism is a very tough and (sometimes) lonely road.

I haven't read all the replies here, but something came to mind: Have you considered a group called SOS? http://www.sossobriety.org/
Nursefoxfire is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st July 2010, 08:15 AM   #97
Tinyal
Thinker

Originally Posted by Pup View Post
You sound like you're trying to recruit or something. In fact, it sounds just like a sales pitch or a religous person talking about their church.

I'm not interested in joining AA; I'm interested in seeing how or why people spin things the way they do and how pervasive religion is in American society even when people disingenously claim it isn't.

There seems to be a strong undercurrent of recruiting here, with overtones of "it's all voluntary, we don't care." Just from your replies to my posts, it feels more like talking to a cult recruiter than anything else.
<bold mine> That's because AA as described in AA literature itself - the big book & the 12x12 (- just because a minority of the meetings don't follow this material has no effect on whether the base material itself is or isn't a dangerous cult) fits the definition of a cult exactly & precisely.

For a detailed examination of the question 'Is AA a cult religion?' see the following link - I urge everyone interested in examining this question, or anyone who knows someone currently in AA to take a few mins to read this link , and I fully expect AA supporters to ignore it - just as I did years ago.

http://www.orange-papers.org/orange-cult.html
Tinyal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st July 2010, 08:43 AM   #98
Rasmus
Philosopher

Originally Posted by jakesteele View Post
What the hell is a woo word? Please define woo. Personally, I define spirituality this way: Good spirituality begins with healthy emotionality. There's nothing wooish about that. It just means the process of growth, change, the self honesty required to do so, etc.
Emphasis mine.

That is not a definition of spirituality at all. It's not a defintion of anything else, either.

You start out by telling us how "good" spirituality begins.

so, there is bad spirituality, and it might begin in some other way. Also, regardless of how it began, good spirituality in progress, as it were. doesn't need to still display those signs anymore.

And the "etc." is a dead giveaway: You have no clue. You do not define spirituality at all, you just throw a few buzzword around that you think ought to relate to it. Do you really thing that "the process of growth" tells me anything at all?

A definition of "spirituality" would allow me to look at something and find out if that something is or is not spiritual.
Old 21st July 2010, 08:55 AM   #99
Nursefoxfire
Graduate Poster

I'm REALLY surprised no one has brought up the Penn & Teller BS episode on 12-step programs. Not that P&T should be used as cold hard data, of course, but the episode IS interesting and opened my eyes to other possibilities besides AA.

Part 1:
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Part 2:
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Part 3:
I AGREE
Nursefoxfire is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st July 2010, 09:06 AM   #100
EvilSmurf
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by godofpie View Post
The court orders you to go. AA does not make you stay. I am not going to be the AA apologist for this thread but a couple of things-
3) AA literature was written in the 1930's, is religious and dogmatic. The Agnostics made a big enough stink to get their own chapter, #4 The Chapter to the Agnostics, which I just recently reread after another thread here at the JREF and I have to admit that that crap would not work for me today but here I am, 14 years later and the strongest thing that I have put in my body since I got sober is an aspirin.
I just read chapter 4 myself. It seems to contend an alcoholic can NOT stay sober while still being an Atheist or Agnostic. A Direct quote "To be doomed to an alcoholic death or to live on a spiritual basis are not easy alternatives to face." Also, notice the capitilisation of God all throughout Chapter 4.
EvilSmurf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st July 2010, 09:53 AM   #101
I Am The Scum
Philosopher

I am one of the persons who does not understand the word "spiritual" as it is being used in this discussion. I have an idea that may clear everything up.

The word "spiritual" is often used as a contrast to "religious." We've all heard "I'm not religious, I'm spiritual," about a hundred times. The interesting thing about this sentence is that I can easily grasp the first part, but not the second. I can distinguish between a religious man and a non-religious man. Obviously, this will vary depending on the religion, but it's easy to tell them apart. Using Christianity, for example:

The religious man goes to church every Sunday.
The non-religious man does not.

The religious man prays for his sins to be forgiven.

And that leads me to this simple challenge: Can someone defending the term please show me the difference between a spiritual person, and a non-spiritual person?
I Am The Scum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st July 2010, 10:01 AM   #102
maddog
Intimidating Terrapin

Originally Posted by I Am The Scum View Post
The religious man goes to church every Sunday.

The religious man prays for his sins to be forgiven.

And that leads me to this simple challenge: Can someone defending the term please show me the difference between a spiritual person, and a non-spiritual person?
A spiritual person *believes*; believes in some sort of god or other spirit beings, whether they take any outward action (praying, going to church, etc.) based on that belief or not.
A non-spiritual person does not believe in god or other spirit beings.

When I grow up, I want to be just like me.
maddog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st July 2010, 10:26 AM   #103
Dancing David
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by calebprime View Post
That makes sense.

To the extent I had a point at all, it was that I was noticing a similarity in presenting a stark alternative.

That is probably appropriate for people with serious drinking problems.

But surely there are non-joiner types, like Guy Waterman*, Piggy, or me*, who just quit whatever our bad habits are on our own.

Not a major point.

Carry on.

*Not a poster boy for mental health, but his story sprang to mind.

*idem
Many people do, I had a girlfriend that just quit cocaine one day, and was a heavy user.

Some can, some struggle.
Old 21st July 2010, 10:28 AM   #104
Dancing David
Penultimate Amazing

I agree with all that, too. Much of which is 'taught' in 12 step fellowships. As I said, the program is multi-faceted (whether you actually use the steps or not), these facets might include:
- your model above.
- Something I like to call CRT (constant reminder therapy)
- getting honest with yourself.
- Changing old thoughts and behaviours and replacing them with healthy ones (as per your model also).
- Social interaction, development of new social networks and supports *i.e. psychosocial and/or spiritual development).
- Ego deflation, creation of healthy personal boundaries, stopping emotional investment in outcomes (i.e. expectations).
- Re/connection with your chosen religion (if one wishes).

You have described an integral part of recovery which is maintenance, while much of what you have listed encompasses that, the CRT and support networks remain invaluable and desirous for many. Clearly AA includes what you describe as "social networks not associated with use". And it is free, easily accessable and filled with people who have the same problems or have succesfully managed their way through similar/same.

In general terms, I'm not sure we aren't that far away from one another when all is said and done.
Many people many paths, I have stated the issues that I have with AA, it works for some, not for others.

Just don't drag psychology into why social structures may have similarities.
Old 21st July 2010, 10:31 AM   #105
Dancing David
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Nursefoxfire View Post
I'm very sorry that you and your husband are going through this. Struggling with alcoholism is a very tough and (sometimes) lonely road.

I haven't read all the replies here, but something came to mind: Have you considered a group called SOS? http://www.sossobriety.org/
Yay for Jeane Jordan Kirkpatrick! (And many others!)
Old 21st July 2010, 10:37 AM   #106
Elizabeth I
Philosopher

Quote:
I do not follow any particular religion, rather I consider myself to be an inquisitive agnostic. Not following a religion and having an agnostic leaning doesn't mean that I lack a sense of spirituality.

Instead of having rituals or teachings prescribed by a religious faith, I developed my own ways to get in touch with my spiritual side. I base my spirituality and beliefs on my interpretation of facts rather than faith, and I consider my quest for knowledge and my spirituality linked.

Reading the histories and teachings behind various religious faiths and having lively discussions and debates with believers and non-believers allows me to feel spiritually alive. I find spirituality in appreciating beautiful art, literature and music as well as from feeling love from family and friends. Taking long walks in the woods near my house, appreciating all the beauty around me and becoming one with nature also awakens my spiritual side.

To some people the concept of a "spiritual agnostic" may be an oxymoron, but I believe that one does not have to possess faith in a higher power or a particular religion in order to be spiritual. Spirituality is highly personal, and all people, including atheists and agnostics, can have a spiritual side. I feel fortunate to have been able to tap into my spirituality and still maintain my agnostic viewpoint.
This looks to me to be just redefining "spirituality" to mean "appreciating beauty," "exercising," "loving those close to me," or anything else you like to do.

I do all those things. If redefine them as "being a millionaire," will that make it true?
Elizabeth I is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st July 2010, 10:45 AM   #107
jakesteele
Fait Accompli

Originally Posted by Rasmus View Post
Emphasis mine.

That is not a definition of spirituality at all. It's not a defintion of anything else, either.

You start out by telling us how "good" spirituality begins.

so, there is bad spirituality, and it might begin in some other way. Also, regardless of how it began, good spirituality in progress, as it were. doesn't need to still display those signs anymore.

And the "etc." is a dead giveaway: You have no clue. You do not define spirituality at all, you just throw a few buzzword around that you think ought to relate to it. Do you really thing that "the process of growth" tells me anything at all?

A definition of "spirituality" would allow me to look at something and find out if that something is or is not spiritual.
Oh, my, my! I do believe you could benefit from working the "spiritual aspects" of the program.

As they say in the program, "What's really going on?"

p.s. you didn't tell me about this 'woo word' stuff, how come?

And we are the punchline

Last edited by jakesteele; 21st July 2010 at 10:48 AM.
Old 21st July 2010, 11:07 AM   #108
Dymanic
Philosopher

If a bowling group had twelve official steps written into the club bylaws and one of the steps talked about using a higher power to improve their skill at bowling, it wouldn't fit that definition.

Given the choice of a bowling group that had that in its bylaws, and one that didn't, I can imagine which an atheist would look first toward joining, all else being equal. That in itself shows the bias.
The steps are not bylaws. They are suggestions.
Dymanic is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st July 2010, 11:09 AM   #109
Dymanic
Philosopher

Originally Posted by maddog View Post
A spiritual person *believes*; believes in some sort of god or other spirit beings, whether they take any outward action (praying, going to church, etc.) based on that belief or not.
A non-spiritual person does not believe in god or other spirit beings.
And what difference (if any) do you see between that and "religious"?
Dymanic is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st July 2010, 11:47 AM   #110
Sledge
Grammaton Cleric

No, seems you might be though. However, I would suggest you need to return to school for some lessons in comprehension and the written word - you clearly have some difficulty in this area.
None whatsoever. You seem to be having trouble communicating what you mean. Perhaps it's time you returned to school? Assuming you ever did, of course.

See? I can be rude too. In fact, I'll wager I can be much ruder than you. What say you stop trying to wind me up and answer my question?
Quote:
If, as you say, you did read the article, you should really be able to determine what spirituality means to the writer.
It seems to mean they enjoy reading books. This isn't called "spirituality," it's called "enjoying reading."
Quote:
I have made efforts to explain what it means to me, others too have tried.
Try again. Try harder.
Quote:
Too bad if it doesn't fit your beliefs or understanding, but frankly - no-one cares.
"No one" isn't hyphenated. And you're challenging MY language abilitites? Hypocrite.

Moving on, it's interesting that you don't consider the possibility that it's your explanation that's at fault. So far, you've pointed to an article about a woman wittering about how she enjoys flowers and books. This does not tell me what spirituality means. Do you know, or are you just hoping to fend people off with a pile of bovine excrement?
Quote:
It seems you too have an axe to grind: Why not tell me why, perhaps I can help.
We mad? You getting a little defensive? Feeling a little challenged? Good. You're taking the first step into a larger world.

"Science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it would stop" ~ Dara O'Briain.

Last edited by Sledge; 21st July 2010 at 12:38 PM.
Sledge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st July 2010, 12:36 PM   #111
Pup
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Dymanic View Post
The steps are not bylaws. They are suggestions.
Exactly. If a group suggests that the members believe in a higher power, that's a less-atheist-friendly group than one that doesn't.

Lots of groups make no mention of higher powers or anything similar at all. It's not like every group needs to make a suggestion to its members on the topic.
Old 21st July 2010, 04:18 PM   #112
Hallo Alfie
Banned

Really!? All I'm trying to do is explain my understanding

I don't live in the US. AA is a worldwide felloeship and every group and individual can express their spirituality or lack of it in any way they like.

To what end would I be recruiting anyone? I have no dog in yourrace nor anyone elses.

Many people do, I had a girlfriend that just quit cocaine one day, and was a heavy user.

Some can, some struggle.
There is a percentage of the population that processes drugs etc differently to the rest. After a period of time they move into dpendance addiction. Just because one once used doesn't mean they were an addict.
For mine, 12-step fellowships is for addicts.

Many people many paths, I have stated the issues that I have with AA, it works for some, not for others.

Just don't drag psychology into why social structures may have similarities.
Why not - if there are valid parallels why shouldn't they be used?

None whatsoever. You seem to be having trouble communicating what you mean. Perhaps it's time you returned to school? Assuming you ever did, of course.

See? I can be rude too. In fact, I'll wager I can be much ruder than you. What say you stop trying to wind me up and answer my question?
It seems to mean they enjoy reading books. This isn't called "spirituality," it's called "enjoying reading."
Try again. Try harder.
It's interesting to me that you set the rules for engagement then squawk like an infant when someone else plays rough. You then have the temerity to suggest I am winding you up.

You can start again if you like - nicely, or I'm pretty much done responding to you.

"No one" isn't hyphenated. And you're challenging MY language abilitites? Hypocrite.
That depends on where one lives. The hyphen is perfectly acceptable in many circles. At ant rate, it is your comprehension that requires assistance.

We mad? You getting a little defensive? Feeling a little challenged? Good.
Not even close, but thanks for trying.
Old 21st July 2010, 10:29 PM   #113
jakesteele
Fait Accompli

Originally Posted by EvilSmurf View Post
I just read chapter 4 myself. It seems to contend an alcoholic can NOT stay sober while still being an Atheist or Agnostic. A Direct quote "To be doomed to an alcoholic death or to live on a spiritual basis are not easy alternatives to face." Also, notice the capitilisation of God all throughout Chapter 4.
If you're a non-addict looking at the program from the outside in, you will never understand the program as well as a recovering addict who is living it from the inside out. I think it's kind of silly for people Penn and Teller to try do their angry little ******** routine and attack something they don't really know that much about. That's like me reading up on magic and criticize their act. (by the way, I think Penn might have come from an alcoholic family because he's got a very pronounced anger problem. And, no, it's not part of the act, it's him)

You have to realize some things about the program. It was written in an era where virtually every citizen in this country was a Christian by default so, of course, they are going to be referring to God with a capital G. It was a central point of reference for society. And, yes, there are evangelical type members who are that way about their religion(s) of Jesus and The Program. They'll jam it down your throat if you let them.

And also, the term 'spirituality' can mean anything. The group itself, G.O.D, Group Of Drunks. The group represents a force/power that it outside of and greater than you. Collectively, they are doing something you can't do yourself.

Also, the program has a saying, "Take what you need and leave the rest behind."

And we are the punchline
Old 21st July 2010, 11:11 PM   #114
Dymanic
Philosopher

If a group suggests that the members believe in a higher power, that's a less-atheist-friendly group than one that doesn't.
Atheist or not, a person with a serious drinking problem is likely to receive a less-than-friendly welcome in most any group. The local tavern may not even want his business. By contrast, AA is expressly committed to accepting him regardless of what he does or doesn't believe and regardless even of whether he is able to stop drinking. AA has its share of curmudgeons, without a doubt. Rigid thinking and alcoholism go hand in hand. But there are just as many who are not merely friendly but nauseatingly friendly, so that sort of makes up for it.

The general rule of thumb in AA is that you share your own experience. Because it is understood that individual beliefs vary widely, the fine details tend to be treated as less appropriate for discussion at group level than other aspects of one's recovery. Not that it never comes up; it's just that dwelling on it can quickly become an exercise in self-centeredness, and proselytizing is almost universally regarded as a distinct breach of decorum. Those who are relatively new to the program may take a while to understand some of this (and, unfortunately, they are often the most vocal).

Quote:
Lots of groups make no mention of higher powers or anything similar at all.
That's true, but openly proclaim yourself an atheist and see what happens.
Old 21st July 2010, 11:59 PM   #115
Rasmus
Philosopher

If you're a non-addict looking at the program from the outside in, you will never understand the program as well as a recovering addict who is living it from the inside out.
You're making Tinyal's poinmt here ...

Quote:
I think it's kind of silly for people Penn and Teller to try do their angry little ******** routine and attack something they don't really know that much about.
Care to point out where they have been actually and demonstratably wrong?

Quote:
That's like me reading up on magic and criticize their act.
And your criticism might be totally justified. Or someone could just point out to you where your errors are.

Quote:
(by the way, I think Penn might have come from an alcoholic family because he's got a very pronounced anger problem. And, no, it's not part of the act, it's him)
Ad Hominem.

Quote:
You have to realize some things about the program. It was written in an era where virtually every citizen in this country was a Christian by default so, of course, they are going to be referring to God with a capital G.
there'd be nothing to stop them from changing and revising their texts. And taking down the posters in their HQ, come to think of it. that aside: The spelling is only a minor point - it's not about how the word god is spelled, but about it being there at all.

Quote:
It was a central point of reference for society. And, yes, there are evangelical type members who are that way about their religion(s) of Jesus and The Program. They'll jam it down your throat if you let them.
And are these members in any way in violation of the program? Are they contradicting it?

Quote:
And also, the term 'spirituality' can mean anything. The group itself, G.O.D, Group Of Drunks. The group represents a force/power that it outside of and greater than you. Collectively, they are doing something you can't do yourself.
Further repetition will not make this argument any less ridiculous.

Quote:
Also, the program has a saying, "Take what you need and leave the rest behind."
Again, you're making the point for Tinyal rather well.
Old 22nd July 2010, 12:20 AM   #116
GrandMasterFox
Illuminator

If you're a non-addict looking at the program from the outside in, you will never understand the program as well as a recovering addict who is living it from the inside out.
Have to be honest, that sounds 100% like every cult person \ serious woo-ster I have ever met.

I think it's kind of silly for people Penn and Teller to try do their angry little ******** routine and attack something they don't really know that much about. That's like me reading up on magic and criticize their act. (by the way, I think Penn might have come from an alcoholic family because he's got a very pronounced anger problem. And, no, it's not part of the act, it's him)
Idiotic Ad Hominem. First off, he is like that in every single episode, heck that episode was a particular calm one for him.

Second, if you think they are wrong about something, state the exact facts you think they got wrong.

You have to realize some things about the program. It was written in an era where virtually every citizen in this country was a Christian by default so, of course, they are going to be referring to God with a capital G. It was a central point of reference for society. And, yes, there are evangelical type members who are that way about their religion(s) of Jesus and The Program. They'll jam it down your throat if you let them.
Absolute rubbish. You are again talking exactly like your basic fundie.
"The bible was written in another time and so it says bla bla bla"

Well, why don't they change it? It's not because it's a "holy text" is it?
AA isn't a religion, right? So what's the problem?

Since we mentioned the Penn and Teller episode...

AA was started in 1935 and the treat remained exactly the same. If your doctor told you he was going to use the same method that was used in 1935 you'd scream and run. Real science is refined and changed all the time. Now maybe we are being too harsh. There are 2 reasons it might not change since 1935.
1) It's religion. And religion changing is tentem to herassy. It's faith it's not supposed to be tested by sciene.
2) The treatment is perfect and works for everyone 100% all of the time.

I wonder which it is?
GrandMasterFox is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd July 2010, 12:31 AM   #117
Rasmus
Philosopher

Originally Posted by GrandMasterFox View Post
Have to be honest, that sounds 100% like every cult person \ serious woo-ster I have ever met.
Lest we be accused of using ad hominems ourselves:

It is not a valid point for a debate to claim that outsiders cannot understand something.

All insiders have started as outsiders and somehow gained the knowledge. It is transferable, so whoever thinks the outsiders have it wrong needs to explain why.

And it must be explainable, otherwise you couldn't know that you were right. You might have a feeling that the outsiders are wrong, but if you *know* that they are you ought to know why. and then, you could simply tell us.
Old 22nd July 2010, 12:53 AM   #118
GrandMasterFox
Illuminator

Lest we be accused of using ad hominems ourselves:
Naturally, my point was against the argument not the person saying it.

I always find it hilarious when people say "you don't understand because you haven't tried it".

Do I need to jump off a roof to know that it's a bad idea?

Any proper medical treatment has sufficient repeatable studies that show the treatment works and that it is exactly the way it is.

I don't have to be a lab rat to find out.

Yet all the woosters keep saying "it works just try it out".
GrandMasterFox is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd July 2010, 01:18 AM   #119
Rasmus
Philosopher

Originally Posted by GrandMasterFox View Post
Naturally, my point was against the argument not the person saying it.
I made the same point earlier and I agree. I just thought under the circumstances some elaboration would be a good thing.

Quote:
I always find it hilarious when people say "you don't understand because you haven't tried it".
Yep.

Quote:
Do I need to jump off a roof to know that it's a bad idea?
Well ... maybe, right, it is like this: It's the best thing ever and totally worth it. If only we knew how utterly wonderful it was. we'd all go and jump right now!

then again, maybe not.

Quote:
Yet all the woosters keep saying "it works just try it out".
Like I said, no argument from me.

I find it particularly telling that we are getting the "it's your choice, you can either do it or die"-rhetoric here, that's just utterly flying in the face of all the other claims of "take only what you need", "they are suggestions" and what not.

It doesn't really go together very well, does it?

Either AA does something that works, and it might be the only thing in the world that works. Then yes, the choice of an alcoholic would indeed be AA or death. (We know it ain't and that claim fails on several levels, but bear with me.)

But then, you couldn't just take those parts of AA that you happen to agree with, could you? There would have to be something in it that is absolutely needed. It might be that any of the steps alone is sufficient and the entirety of AA is just a combination of all working methods - but that seems a little far fetched, doesn't it? (Plus, of course, what if I didn't go to the meetings and did just one other thing instead - could that still be called "AA"? I think not.)
Old 22nd July 2010, 02:00 AM   #120
GrandMasterFox
Illuminator

I made the same point earlier and I agree. I just thought under the circumstances some elaboration would be a good thing.
Of course. I realized your comment was correct that it might seem as if I was attacking the person rather than the argument and simply wanted to clarify my position so that jakesteele wouldn't think that I was attacking him.
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy