ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Coronavirus , diseases

Closed Thread
Old 31st March 2020, 02:23 PM   #921
Ulf Nereng
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Doghouse Reilly View Post
I see the same thing that's happened before, only ramped up because of panic. Tents, hospitals at 300% capacity, etc. What is different? So far, the numbers aren't different.

Israel 2015

https://www.timesofisrael.com/influx...cross-country/

Boston 2013:

https://amp.usatoday.com/amp/1823425

Across the US, 2017:

https://time.com/5107984/hospitals-h...ents/?amp=true
None of those happened with lockdowns in place over the cities/countries in question. The flu numbers and examples you have mentioned were with business as usual. The corona-virus numbers we see are with countries and cities taking desperate measures to keep the numbers low. Do you see the difference?
Ulf Nereng is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 31st March 2020, 02:24 PM   #922
Doghouse Reilly
Adrift on an uncharted sea

Originally Posted by JeanTate View Post
Ah the joys and delights of not understanding what "exponential" means!

While I don't live in New York (the state, or city), I sure am glad Andrew Cuomo is Governor there, not you.

Out of curiosity, were you the NY Governor, when would you erect hospital tents in Central Park? Order ice trucks as morgues?
I'm not an idiot, I know what exponential growth is, so you can stop the condescension. You're beginning to drift slightly into argument from emotion. I don't claim knowledge of when to set up tents, I am simply saying so far the numbers are no greater than what we've seen in a normal flu year.
Doghouse Reilly is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 31st March 2020, 02:25 PM   #923
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Arcade22 View Post
You'd be relieved if all experts and professionals were wrong and some random person on a forum was right?
I would also be rather surprised.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 31st March 2020, 02:26 PM   #924
Doghouse Reilly

You'd be relieved if all experts and professionals were wrong and some random person on a forum was right?
How would you not be relieved that millions of people weren't going to die? You'd have to be a sociopath not to be. Besides, some experts are saying this. Including the German pulmonologist I posted upthread that nobody has addressed.
Doghouse Reilly is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 31st March 2020, 02:27 PM   #925
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

You can't compare numbers naively like you are doing now since you don't know whether they are being recorded in the equivalent manner.

Sweden pop ~ 10mil. Deaths - 146
Australia pop~ 25mil Deaths - 19
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 31st March 2020, 02:28 PM   #926
Doghouse Reilly

Originally Posted by Ulf Nereng View Post
None of those happened with lockdowns in place over the cities/countries in question. The flu numbers and examples you have mentioned were with business as usual. The corona-virus numbers we see are with countries and cities taking desperate measures to keep the numbers low. Do you see the difference?
No, in most places the lockdowns began far too late to draw conclusions on the numbers of cases we're seeing now. Also, because that is a non-falsifiable argument, it has to be discarded.
Old 31st March 2020, 02:29 PM   #927
JeanTate
Illuminator

Originally Posted by casebro View Post
Time passing is exactly my point. "For each 100 people of normal demographic, what are the outcomes of exposure casual exposure to Covid? " Not self selected for already showing signs like SK, not old folks cloistered on a liner, not drunken Danes plying beer pong by 'coughing' a ball soaked in other peoples saliva. 100 is small, but it is available. Or maybe combine it with the choir and that gov meeting? all in the same time frame and locale? 200? 250? ONE county board of health ?
(my hilite)

YMMV, but to me a "normal demographic" includes people of all ages; fit healthy people as well as those currently ill (whether COPD, a cold, or terminal brain cancer); women as well as men; those earning seven figure salaries as well as the homeless; etc.

And that's just the US.

None of the groups you briefly described comes anywhere near close to a normal demographic.
JeanTate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 31st March 2020, 02:29 PM   #928
sir drinks-a-lot
Illuminator

I'm not an idiot, I know what exponential growth is, so you can stop the condescension. You're beginning to drift slightly into argument from emotion. I don't claim knowledge of when to set up tents, I am simply saying so far the numbers are no greater than what we've seen in a normal flu year.
I don't think you're supposed to be asking the kinds of questions you're asking. They're sort of like a form of forum wrong-think. You're supposed to just say it wouldn't be like this if Trump wasn't such a lying idiot.
Old 31st March 2020, 02:29 PM   #929
Dr.Sid
Master Poster

I think this is a point that many people don't get. The flu isn't going anywhere nor have any other disease gone on vacation.
Well it actually is going on vacations. All COVID19 countermeasures works wonders on flu.
Dr.Sid is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 31st March 2020, 02:30 PM   #930
Doghouse Reilly

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
I would also be rather surprised.
And you'll probably also just say it was because of all the extreme measures we took. Which is a non-falsifiable argument. Out of curiosity, what outcome, to you, would prove me right? In other words, what has to happen for you to "be rather surprised"?
Old 31st March 2020, 02:31 PM   #931
Doghouse Reilly

Originally Posted by sir drinks-a-lot View Post
I don't think you're supposed to be asking the kinds of questions you're asking. They're sort of like a form of forum wrong-think. You're supposed to just say it wouldn't be like this if Trump wasn't such a lying idiot.
That's what I'm beginning to feel like.
Old 31st March 2020, 02:33 PM   #932
Doghouse Reilly

I think this is a point that many people don't get. The flu isn't going anywhere nor have any other disease gone on vacation.
Except flu numbers are down as coronavirus numbers are up. Making me think they're the same thing. So far, the numbers do not prove otherwise.
Old 31st March 2020, 02:35 PM   #933
JeanTate
Illuminator

No, if you read it it's based on a broad range of populations. So a study based on a broad range is superior to one less broad. That's my logic.
Quoting the CNN article:

"To find out, researchers looked at how widespread infections were among people repatriated to their home countries on flights from Wuhan, China."

I'm no longer familiar with expats (that's what the group the researchers studied is, right?), but they are surely not a good cross-section of any country's population, are they?

So we should treat 0.66% as some sort of lower bound, for people in developed economies, right?
JeanTate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 31st March 2020, 02:37 PM   #934
Doghouse Reilly

Indeed.

For crows, only until ~mid-April.

I don't have numbers for the estimated yearly (actually seasonal) number of deaths attributed to the flu, for the US, to hand*. So I can't give you an answer.

From memory, it's ~40k.

Indeed.

And if we'd prepared - in a manner consistent with plans etc clearly defined after SARS (and in many ways long before) - we in the US would never be there. As will likely be true in Singapore. Taiwan. Hong Kong. Macau. Possibly South Korea.

*Do you have what you consider to be a reliable source of these numbers?
Depending on the source, annual US flu deaths are anywhere between high 30k to high 60k. So far we haven't even seen thst death toll GLOBALLY from this coronavirus. And again, yes, I understand exponential growth. Perhaps you will be proven right. Perhaps I will. The difference is, if I'm proven right, everyone will say I really wasn't, and it was just all of the heroic measures that were taken that saved us all. Kind of unfair, how you get to be right either way.

Last edited by Doghouse Reilly; 31st March 2020 at 02:39 PM.
Old 31st March 2020, 02:37 PM   #935
sir drinks-a-lot
Illuminator

Except flu numbers are down as coronavirus numbers are up. Making me think they're the same thing. So far, the numbers do not prove otherwise.
You mean similar, not actually the same thing, right? We know that it is a very different virus in both cases.
Old 31st March 2020, 02:43 PM   #936
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

Originally Posted by lomiller View Post
Was the pun intentional? Either way I was amused.
Went totally over my head.
Old 31st March 2020, 02:43 PM   #937
Delphic Oracle
Illuminator

Missouri crossed 1,000 cases this weekend and we added almost 300 in the last 24 hours.

Governor still "meh" about it, not doing squat.
Delphic Oracle is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 31st March 2020, 02:43 PM   #938
Ulf Nereng
Critical Thinker

No, in most places the lockdowns began far too late to draw conclusions on the numbers of cases we're seeing now. Also, because that is a non-falsifiable argument, it has to be discarded.
Well, there are a few countries that aren't doing anything to stop it so that will give us some solid numbers in a few weeks. Also some that are trying but doesn't look like they are capable. India should tell us a lot in the near future.
Ulf Nereng is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 31st March 2020, 02:44 PM   #939
crescent
Illuminator

Well, it won't keep doubling forever, obviously. Out of curiosity what total death toll would we have to see for you to think "Well, I guess it turned out to not be much more than a normal flu epidemic"? In other words, at what point does it become undeniable that more people died than would have from a flu? I don't mean rate of spread or rate of increase, or projections, I mean a specific final minimum number. We obviously aren't there yet.
I started a spreadsheet ten days ago. I took the current numbers for the U.S. and just started multiplying them by 1.2 every day compounding, that was pretty close to the growth we had been seeing for the previous week. It turned out to be too optimistic. The total number of deaths as of today is more than twice as high than what my little spreadsheet predicted based on a 20% growth rate starting March 20.

So just out of curiosity, I started over, putting in today's fatality totals (3773 fatalities in America, so far) and assuming a 20% daily increase. That's a fair bit slower than the growth we've seen for the past three weeks.

Last year about 34,000 Americans died from the flu. If the current rate of growth keeps up with what we've had over the past two weeks, then we'll hit the 34,000 mark at about April 12.

The 2009 H1N1 pandemic is also often mentioned in comparison. That killed about 12,000 people in America. Again, if the current trajectory holds, we'll hit that around April 6.

To me, at least, hitting 34,000 would tell us that the current pandemic is much worse than the flu, because we've taken an "all hands on deck" approach, albeit later than many would have preferred. If we hit the same level of fatalities as influenza despite all that effort, that tells us something.

I guess we'll see. I would be pretty happy for you to be right. We might not have long to wait.

Just for the sake of conversation, here's a projection starting with today's fatality numbers and assuming a 20% daily increase run out over three weeks:

3773 31-Mar
4527 1-Apr
5433 2-Apr
6519 3-Apr
7823 4-Apr
9388 5-Apr
11,266 6-Apr
13,519 7-Apr
16,223 8-Apr
19,467 9-Apr
23,361 10-Apr
28,033 11-Apr
33,640 12-Apr
40,368 13-Apr
48,442 14-Apr
58,130 15-Apr
69,756 16-Apr
83,708 17-Apr
100,449 18-Apr
120,539 19-Apr
144,647 20-Apr
173,577 21-Apr

Hopefully those numbers are far too pessimistic. So far, assuming a 20% daily growth rate for fatalities has been too optimistic.

Last edited by crescent; 31st March 2020 at 02:50 PM.
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 31st March 2020, 02:45 PM   #940
Doghouse Reilly

You mean similar, not actually the same thing, right? We know that it is a very different virus in both cases.
Kind of, except maybe not...if you watch the 10 minute vid of the German pulmonologist, he says that 7-15% of flu cases ARE coronaviruses and are included in the statistics. And that now ALL flu where this coronavirus is detected are being counted as "coronavirus".
Old 31st March 2020, 02:48 PM   #941
JeanTate
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
That's a good point, at least on the surface.

You aren't going to be persuaded except by incontrovertible evidence. It would be very nice if it turned out you were right.
It would be very nice indeed.

And it may well turn out that Singapore, for example, has far fewer covid-19 deaths (in 2020) than flu deaths (for whatever the current flu season is there).

And if, here in the US, by the start of winter (2020), there are far more covid-19 deaths than deaths due to flu in the 2019/2020 flu season, who will say that almost all of those deaths were preventable (had certain actions been taken, starting in January 2020)?
Old 31st March 2020, 02:50 PM   #942
Doghouse Reilly

Originally Posted by crescent View Post
I started a spreadsheet ten days ago. I took the current numbers for the U.S. and just started multiplying them by 1.2 every day compounding, that was pretty close to the growth we had been seeing for the previous week. It turned out to be too optimistic. The total number of deaths as of today is more than twice as high than what my little spreadsheet predicted based on a 20% growth rate starting March 20.

So just out of curiosity, I started over, putting in today's fatality totals (3773 fatalities in America, so far) and assuming a 20% daily increase. That's a fair bit slower than the growth we've seen for the past three weeks.

Last year about 34,000 Americans died from the flu. If the current rate of growth keeps up with what we've had over the past two weeks, then we'll hit the 34,000 mark at about April 12.

The 2009 H1N1 pandemic is also often mentioned in comparison. That killed about 12,000 people. Again, if the current trajectory holds, we'll hit that around April 6.

To me, at least, hitting 34,000 would tell us that the current pandemic is much worse than the flu, because we've taken an "all hands on deck" approach, albeit later than many would have preferred. If we hit the same level of fatalities as influenza despite all that effort, that tells us something.

I guess we'll see. I would be pretty happy for you to be right. We might not have long to wait.

Just for the sake of conversation, here's a projection starting with today's fatality numbers and assuming a 20% daily increase run out over three weeks:

3773 31-Mar
4527 1-Apr
5433 2-Apr
6519 3-Apr
7823 4-Apr
9388 5-Apr
11,266 6-Apr
13,519 7-Apr
16,223 8-Apr
19,467 9-Apr
23,361 10-Apr
28,033 11-Apr
33,640 12-Apr
40,368 13-Apr
48,442 14-Apr
58,130 15-Apr
69,756 16-Apr
83,708 17-Apr
100,449 18-Apr
120,539 19-Apr
144,647 20-Apr
173,577 21-Apr

Hopefully those numbers are far too pessimistic. So far, assuming a 20% growth rate for fatalities has been too optimistic.
Thank you for being open enough to engage on a level of actual good faith discussion instead of just resorting to taunts and political slurs or accusations of conspiracy theory. I am still shocked that what I've been saying was actually accused of belonging in the conspiracy forum rather than simply being an alternate way ot looking at things so far and as not having been either proven or disproven yet. I find your numbers compelling, and indeeed time will tell.
Old 31st March 2020, 02:57 PM   #943
JeanTate
Illuminator

Thanks.

I'm not an idiot, I know what exponential growth is, so you can stop the condescension. You're beginning to drift slightly into argument from emotion.
I shall try harder.

Quote:
I don't claim knowledge of when to set up tents, I am simply saying so far the numbers are no greater than what we've seen in a normal flu year.
Actually, your claim is a bit more nuanced than that.

For starters, you seem to be referring to the US only (well, mostly, but not entirely; for example, the CNN/Lancet stuff may or may not be all that relevant to the US).

You're also not being clear what "numbers" you are claiming; the actual numbers, for flu deaths, and for estimated covid-19 ones (your posts can be read as being quite inconsistent).

Finally, for now, you have concentrated solely on deaths (no mention of any differences in long term health impacts, for example).
Old 31st March 2020, 02:58 PM   #944
dann
Penultimate Amazing

No, flu numbers are down because they have already been affected by social distancing, self-quaranteening, lockdowns etc. The incubation period of influenza (about two days) is much shorter than that of the current coronavirus (2 to 14 days, maybe even as long as 27 days), so it will take some time before the measures against it can be seen in the numbers. In Denmark, it's beginning to show. The curve appears to be flattening.

Maybe you should stop trying to dismiss the knowledge that already exists about coronavirus.
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 31st March 2020, 03:01 PM   #945
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

It took weeks to get to 1000 deaths in the U.S. A couple days ago it was 2000. Today it should hit 4000.

Unfortunately that's the only definite number.
Old 31st March 2020, 03:01 PM   #946
dann
Penultimate Amazing

I am simply saying so far the numbers are no greater than what we've seen in a normal flu year.

A normal flu year begins much earlier. I think that you are aware of this already, aren't you?
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 31st March 2020, 03:02 PM   #947
JeanTate
Illuminator

What questions?

Seriously.

What I've read, and responded to, is mostly a series of bald statements (without even citing a source), many of which are contradictory, and many of which are meaningless comparisons (e.g. number of "normal flu" deaths with an unsupported projection).
Old 31st March 2020, 03:04 PM   #948
JeanTate
Illuminator

(my hilite)

I already asked you for your sources on this; may I ask again?
Old 31st March 2020, 03:08 PM   #949
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Completely and utterly wrong. They have analysed the genetic code. They even have pictures of them.

Last edited by a_unique_person; 31st March 2020 at 03:49 PM.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 31st March 2020, 03:12 PM   #950
JeanTate
Illuminator

Depending on the source, annual US flu deaths are anywhere between high 30k to high 60k.
May I ask you to provide at least one (source, that is)?

Quote:
So far we haven't even seen thst death toll GLOBALLY from this coronavirus.
The widely cited JH site gives ~41.6k. In a couple of days we can see what the daily WHO situation report's number for 31 March is.

Quote:
And again, yes, I understand exponential growth. Perhaps you will be proven right. Perhaps I will. The difference is, if I'm proven right, everyone will say I really wasn't, and it was just all of the heroic measures that were taken that saved us all. Kind of unfair, how you get to be right either way.
Well, we can look at numbers from China. From Singapore. Even South Korea.

Do those numbers "prove you [Doghouse Reilly] right"?
Old 31st March 2020, 03:23 PM   #951
Doghouse Reilly

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
Completely and utterly wrong. They have analysed the DNA. They even have pictures of them.
I wasn't nuanced enough. Coronaviruses are included in flu statistics, 7-15% of "flus" are actually coronaviruses. It is entirely possible for a coronavirus to cause a "flu" epidemic.
Old 31st March 2020, 03:26 PM   #952
Doghouse Reilly

The widely cited JH site gives ~41.6k. In a couple of days we can see what the daily WHO situation report's number for 31 March is.

Well, we can look at numbers from China. From Singapore. Even South Korea.

Do those numbers "prove you [Doghouse Reilly] right"?
It is my assertion that it is far, far too early to use those numbere as reliable sources to posit a pandemic. We see other numbers, as in the study I posted with 0.66%, and I see no reason to believe those lower figures won't be far more accurate.
Old 31st March 2020, 03:26 PM   #953
sir drinks-a-lot
Illuminator

What questions?

Seriously.
His first post in the conversation was basically a big question. Or a series of smaller questions, depending on how you look at it. Sure, there are no actual question marks, but he makes a bunch of statements and then asks someone smarter than him to explain.
Old 31st March 2020, 03:28 PM   #954
Doghouse Reilly

Yes. The CDC gives a preliminary estimate of 35,000 for last year. And 45,000 for the year prior. Why?

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/past-seasons.html
Old 31st March 2020, 03:30 PM   #955
Mader Levap
Muse

he says that 7-15% of flu cases ARE coronaviruses and are included in the statistics. And that now ALL flu where this coronavirus is detected are being counted as "coronavirus".
Claim that COVID-19 does not exist (and yes, you are implying that) is crown (ha!) of denialist BS surrounding COVID-19.

Depending on the source, annual US flu deaths are anywhere between high 30k to high 60k.
You are comparing apples to oranges. Annual flu deaths happening during "business as usual" times are without drastic measures.

If you got novel virus that, lets say, has similar amount of deaths (currently 40k and rising) despite such drastic countermeasures, it automatically is already worse than common flu. Already. Right now. We do not need to wait for 200k worldwide deaths (or whatever arbitrary mark you thought up) to know that. Claim that it is "no worse than common flu" is pure denialist BS.

You also completely ignored fact that no common flu infects 160 mln people (that number is predicted amount of pepole that will go through COVID-19 according to projection that you tout). That alone would make COVID-19 very unusual for a flu. Again, claim "it is same as common flu" is nonsense.
Old 31st March 2020, 03:30 PM   #956
Doghouse Reilly

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
It took weeks to get to 1000 deaths in the U.S. A couple days ago it was 2000. Today it should hit 4000.

Unfortunately that's the only definite number.
Apparently at 3400 today.
Old 31st March 2020, 03:33 PM   #957
Doghouse Reilly

Originally Posted by Mader Levap View Post
Claim that COVID-19 does not exist (and yes, you are implying that) is crown (ha!) of denialist BS surrounding COVID-19.

You are comparing apples to oranges. Annual flu deaths happening during "business as usual" times are without drastic measures.

If you got novel virus that, lets say, has similar amount of deaths (currently 40k and rising) despite such drastic countermeasures, it automatically is already worse than common flu. Already. Right now. We do not need to wait for 200k worldwide deaths (or whatever arbitrary mark you thought up) to know that. Claim that it is "no worse than common flu" is pure denialist BS.

You also completely ignored fact that no common flu infects 160 mln people (that number is predicted amount of pepole that will go through COVID-19 according to projection that you tout). That alone would make COVID-19 very unusual for a flu. Again, claim "it is same as common flu" is nonsense.
Huh? Nobody claimed it doesn't exist, what are you talking about? There's definitely a new coronavirus that wasn't previously known.

And this isn't happening during "business as usual" times because we shut everything down! You can't shut everything down and use that as proof that this isn't "business as usual". I hope you see the logical fallacy there, that's a crazy argument.

You also can't use it's continued spread during lockdown as evidence of anything because of the long incubation period.

Time will tell if it infects 160 million people or not. I wouldn't be surprised if it does or doesn't. There have been plenty of other flu viruses and coronaviruses that have done so.

You're just dismissing my arguments as "denialist bs" instead of stopping to consider that maybe we actually don't know this is happening the way everyone thinks it is after all. Maybe I'm wrong. But also, I see no evidence that you're right.

Last edited by Doghouse Reilly; 31st March 2020 at 03:39 PM.
Old 31st March 2020, 03:49 PM   #958
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

Apparently at 3400 today.
3,807 right now*.

A short time ago I mentioned it was spooky watching the death toll tick up from 197 to 204 (I think) as Trump spoke what he thought were comforting words.

*Similarly spooky is that there’s a very real chance that number will be bigger by the time I hit “Submit Reply”.
Old 31st March 2020, 03:50 PM   #959
Athyrio
Hipster Doofus

Originally Posted by crescent View Post

The 2009 H1N1 pandemic is also often mentioned in comparison. That killed about 12,000 people in America. Again, if the current trajectory holds, we'll hit that around April 6.

3773 31-Mar
4527 1-Apr
5433 2-Apr
6519 3-Apr
7823 4-Apr
9388 5-Apr
11,266 6-Apr
13,519 7-Apr
16,223 8-Apr
19,467 9-Apr
23,361 10-Apr
28,033 11-Apr
33,640 12-Apr
40,368 13-Apr
48,442 14-Apr
58,130 15-Apr
69,756 16-Apr
83,708 17-Apr
100,449 18-Apr
120,539 19-Apr
144,647 20-Apr
173,577 21-Apr

Hopefully those numbers are far too pessimistic. So far, assuming a 20% daily growth rate for fatalities has been too optimistic.

Thanks for your post. The USA fatality tally is the one I am watching and now I can return to your post daily for comparison. If it bears out, and I believe the stats in your spreadsheet will be close, barring some sudden miracle cure, I don’t see any way this Covid19 can be construed as no worse than a “normal” USA flu season, tents, social distancing, closed businesses, and stay home orders not withstanding.

You listed no stat for April 22 but we can do that one in our heads.

Has the USA lost anything close to this count in this current flu season so far?
Athyrio is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 31st March 2020, 03:54 PM   #960
Steve
Philosopher

Huh? Nobody claimed it doesn't exist, what are you talking about? There's definitely a new coronavirus that wasn't previously known.

And this isn't happening during "business as usual" times because we shut everything down! You can't shut everything down and use that as proof that this isn't "business as usual". I hope you see the logical fallacy there, that's a crazy argument.

You also can't use it's continued spread during lockdown as evidence of anything because of the long incubation period.

Time will tell if it infects 160 million people or not. I wouldn't be surprised if it does or doesn't. There have been plenty of other flu viruses and coronaviruses that have done so.

You're just dismissing my arguments as "denialist bs" instead of stopping to consider that maybe we actually don't know this is happening the way everyone thinks it is after all. Maybe I'm wrong. But also, I see no evidence that you're right.
Seems contradictory. You say they are the same thing, then you say they are two different things. You should not be surprised that some people are confused.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology