ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Closed Thread
Old 22nd August 2019, 11:33 PM   #4401
tusenfem
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Sol88 View Post
Why unusualy high?
From an earlier abstract (you might do some investigating yourself):

Originally Posted by goetz et al. 2017
The magnetometer onboard ESA's Rosetta orbiter detected its highest magnetic field magnitude of 250nT in July 2015, close to perihelion. This magnitude was an enhancement of a factor of five compared to normal values, which makes this the highest interplanetary magnetic field ever measured. We have examined the solar wind conditions at the time and found that a corotating interaction region (CIR), accompanied by a fast flow is the trigger for this unusual event.

(Max Headroom)
follow me on twitter: @tusenfem, or follow Rosetta Plasma Consortium: @Rosetta_RPC
tusenfem is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2019, 01:44 AM   #4402
jonesdave116
Illuminator

Quote:
How’d the water production rate correlate with the impact of CME?

Considering the post above on Ceres..
In July 2015? Why would it? This was only a month before perihelion. Coma is too thick for the CME to actually reach the surface and cause increased sputtering. Ceres does not have an atmosphere. Ergo, solar wind and CMEs can reach the surface. All that can happen is that the coma and induced magnetosphere of the comet will be compressed. I am assuming that is why we have got such a high magnetic field. It all gets piled up. I could be wrong, but it seems logical.

ETA:
Indeed, this seems to have happened also in October 2015, at a lower level;

Quote:
We present Rosetta observations from comet 67P/Churyumov-Gerasimenko during the impact of a coronal mass ejection (CME). The CME impacted on 2015 Oct 5–6, when Rosetta was about 800 km from the comet nucleus, and 1.4 au from the Sun. Upon impact, the plasma environment is compressed to the level that solar wind ions, not seen a few days earlier when at 1500 km, now reach Rosetta. In response to the compression, the flux of suprathermal electrons increases by a factor of 5–10 and the background magnetic field strength increases by a factor of ∼2.5.
CME impact on comet 67P/Churyumov-Gerasimenko
Edberg, N. J. T. et al.
https://academic.oup.com/mnras/artic..._1/S45/2633360

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - George Carlin

Last edited by jonesdave116; 23rd August 2019 at 01:51 AM.
jonesdave116 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2019, 06:56 AM   #4403
Lukraak_Sisser
Illuminator

???

Electron acceleration at comet 67P/Churyumov-Gerasimenko
Flow pattern of accelerated cometary ions inside and outside the diamagnetic cavity of comet 67P/Churyumov-Gerasimenko

Cool, lets see how we put all this acceleration together...
Oh look, more classic pseudo science behaviour. Lets ignore the fact that my entire theory is baseless and focus on a small and obsucre detail that, when taken out of context and ignoring to already given explanations, might contain some words that I like.

There are electrons and protons moving trough ALL of space. We've been observing them for decades.
Never have any of the massive electrical fields needed for the EC theory to be true detected.
Therefore EC and EU are fantasy. And while they are entertaining fantasy, they have no place in science.

*unless* of course you can explain the clear contradiction between your theory and even the simplest empirical data. But rather than do that you try to distract with minutiae.
Lukraak_Sisser is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2019, 01:22 PM   #4404
jonesdave116
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Lukraak_Sisser View Post
Oh look, more classic pseudo science behaviour. Lets ignore the fact that my entire theory is baseless and focus on a small and obsucre detail that, when taken out of context and ignoring to already given explanations, might contain some words that I like.

There are electrons and protons moving trough ALL of space. We've been observing them for decades.
Never have any of the massive electrical fields needed for the EC theory to be true detected.
Therefore EC and EU are fantasy. And while they are entertaining fantasy, they have no place in science.

*unless* of course you can explain the clear contradiction between your theory and even the simplest empirical data. But rather than do that you try to distract with minutiae.

The irony being the mention of the diamagnetic cavity. Its existence, confirmed in artificial comet experiments in 1984-5, and also in-situ at 1P/Halley, tells us, definitively, that the solar wind is not reaching the nucleus. Other observations also support this at 67P, but the essential fact is that we knew this in the mid-80s. And it was predicted in the 60s (iirc).
The ironic part is that the genius Thornhill, in 2006, has some sort of electric woo (EDM?) producing undetectable O- ions from the surface, which combine with H+ from the solar wind to create OH, which dumb scientists mistake as a breakdown product of water vapour, despite multiple definitive detections of water at comets from 1986 - 2006.
Of course, the total lack of a magnetic signature within the cavity rather kicks this EDM up the Khyber! Not to mention that the water (that isn't there, according to Thornhill, or is created by the non-existent O- combining twice with H+ from the solar wind, according to others) is detected within the cavity, where the solar wind isn't reaching!

If I was an EU wooist, I would steer well clear of the diamagnetic cavity. It is a perfect example of how appallingly unscientific this electric comet lark is!

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - George Carlin

Last edited by jonesdave116; 23rd August 2019 at 01:34 PM.
jonesdave116 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2019, 04:40 PM   #4405
jonesdave116
Illuminator

Originally Posted by tusenfem View Post
That could take a while! I'll help out;

(Over-)Reaction of the Cometary Plasma to Extreme Solar Wind Conditions
Goetz, C. et al. (2017)
http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/2017AGUFM.P54D..01G

Abstract of presentation to AGU fall meeting, 2017.

Old 24th August 2019, 10:40 PM   #4406
Sol88
Philosopher

What’s your guesstimate of the current involved, tusenfem?

“The 'electric comet' is physically IMPOSSIBLE to model using mainstream science! PERIOD! True story! End of story!” Indagator
Sol88 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th August 2019, 01:34 PM   #4407
JeanTate
Illuminator

What does the Electric Comet Theory predict the current is, Sol88?
JeanTate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th August 2019, 01:41 PM   #4408
Sol88
Philosopher

Originally Posted by JeanTate View Post
What does the Electric Comet Theory predict the current is, Sol88?
Strong enough to do WORK. Double layers, particle acceleration(including the charged dust}, Coulomb distruption of the rocky surface etc ...

Evidence of sub-surface energy storage in comet 67P from the outburst of 2016 July 3

Quote:
Near-surface accelerations inconsistent with the free sublimation of water ice have been found in earlier studies (Agarwal et al. 2016; Kramer&Noack2016),suggesting that the underlying process may be quite common and significantly contribute to the mass-loss in comet 67P.
J. Agarwal, go investigate a bit deeper than a comet is just a melting dusty ice cube.

The comet is charged....

Overwhelming evidence plasma phenomenon DOMINANT the Dirtysnowball.

But still, mainstream just try and get a bigger hammer to smash that round peg into the square hole.

“The 'electric comet' is physically IMPOSSIBLE to model using mainstream science! PERIOD! True story! End of story!” Indagator

Last edited by Sol88; 25th August 2019 at 01:52 PM.
Sol88 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th August 2019, 02:41 PM   #4409
JeanTate
Illuminator

Let me see if I understand your reply to my question, Sol88.

I’ll quote the part(s) that are an actual reply:

IOW, crickets, nothing, ...
JeanTate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th August 2019, 05:48 PM   #4410
jonesdave116
Illuminator

Strong enough to do WORK. Double layers, particle acceleration(including the charged dust}, Coulomb distruption of the rocky surface etc ...

Evidence of sub-surface energy storage in comet 67P from the outburst of 2016 July 3

J. Agarwal, go investigate a bit deeper than a comet is just a melting dusty ice cube.

The comet is charged....

Overwhelming evidence plasma phenomenon DOMINANT the Dirtysnowball.

But still, mainstream just try and get a bigger hammer to smash that round peg into the square hole.
Lol. Stop making things up! Coulomb disruption? Where on Earth do you get this nonsense? As if we didn't know. How much Coulomb disruption was caused to Philae on the surface? Or Rosetta as it approached the surface? Where were the signatures of this Coulomb disruption? Nothing near perihelion within the diamagnetic cavity. Zero magnetic field, remember? What about Philae's measurements of any intrinsic magnetic field for the comet? Zilch (near as makes no difference), remember? No dirty great spikes in the mag data.
And I have no idea why you would bring up the Agarwal paper. That is the one where Alice sees ice in the outburst! Not something you want to be drawing attention to, I would have thought!

Old 25th August 2019, 11:35 PM   #4411
tusenfem
Master Poster

I am sure the compression of the magnetic field will induce currents (Maxwell-Ampère: curl(H) = J + dD/dt). This current cannot "do work".

(Max Headroom)
follow me on twitter: @tusenfem, or follow Rosetta Plasma Consortium: @Rosetta_RPC
tusenfem is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th August 2019, 04:37 AM   #4412
Sol88
Philosopher

I am sure the compression of the magnetic field will induce currents (Maxwell-Ampère: curl(H) = J + dD/dt). This current cannot "do work".
Course not.

But if your above claim is true, then how does the Ulysses data wrt the tail crossing at over 3.8AU from Comet C/1996 B2 (Hyakutake) or indeed Comet C/2006 P1 (McNaught) hold up? Plug those babies into your maths. That’s a bloody long conductor dragging thru the solar wind. No work indeed.

Kinda sounds the same basically, the tail and the solar wind were acting as corotating interaction region (CIR) and the solar wind. Whouda thunk it, ay.

I mean, it’s undeniable that there are vast and powerful electric currents in this whole shooting match, it’s just they don’t “do” anything. Classic mainstream

Do you agree it’s a vast interplay of complex plasma phenomena, tusenfem?

Double layers anyone?

Last edited by Sol88; 26th August 2019 at 04:43 AM.
Old 26th August 2019, 06:22 AM   #4413
tusenfem
Master Poster

Course not.
please explain

But if your above claim is true, then how does the Ulysses data wrt the tail crossing at over 3.8AU from Comet C/1996 B2 (Hyakutake) or indeed Comet C/2006 P1 (McNaught) hold up? Plug those babies into your maths. That’s a bloody long conductor dragging thru the solar wind. No work indeed.
Put into what math? Do you know how "work" is defined? Do you know what induced currents can and cannot do?
And yes, disturbances in the SW created by the tail of a comet linger, but that has nothing do to with "work". That is dependend on how fast magnetic structures diffuse.

Kinda sounds the same basically, the tail and the solar wind were acting as corotating interaction region (CIR) and the solar wind. Whouda thunk it, ay.
ay indeed, showing you have no idea about that the abstract is about if you think it is "the tail and the solar wind acting as a corotational interaction region". Oy Gevalt!

I am already regretting coming back, I might just leave again.

(Max Headroom)
Old 26th August 2019, 10:29 AM   #4414
jonesdave116
Illuminator

But, but, but.............think what you'd be missing!

Old 26th August 2019, 01:56 PM   #4415
Reality Check
Penultimate Amazing

Thumbs down The usual lies, delusions, insults, etc. already addressed over the last 10 years

The usual insane lies, delusions, insults, etc. already addressed over the last 10 years.
The insane insults of the deceased Michael Francis A'Hearn by Sol88 linking him with demented dogma, etc.
Sol88's lies about the demented SAFIRE experiment about the Sun and a scientific experiment about the solar wind and Parker spiral

Sol88's insane lies about mainstream science confirming his demented cult's electric comet insanity.

Homogeneity of 67P/Churyumov-Gerasimenko as seen by CONSERT: implication on composition and formation is an ices and dust comet paper where comets formed billions of years ago using the "pebbles" of the early solar system.

Sol88's demented cult's electric comet insanity has comets made of rock being blasted including in the last few thousand years from planets !

Last edited by Reality Check; 26th August 2019 at 01:59 PM.
Reality Check is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th August 2019, 02:01 PM   #4416
Reality Check
Penultimate Amazing

Thumbs down The usual lies, delusions, insults, etc. already addressed over the last 10 years

The usual insane lies, delusions, insults, etc. already addressed over the last 10 years.
The insane insults of the deceased Michael Francis A'Hearn by Sol88 linking him with demented dogma, etc.
Sol88's lies about the demented SAFIRE experiment about the Sun and a scientific experiment about the solar wind and Parker spiral

Sol88's usual insanity of derailing from his demented cult's electric comet insiatiy.
Reality Check is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th August 2019, 02:16 PM   #4417
Reality Check
Penultimate Amazing

Sol88's usual insanity of physically impossible double layers at comets.
Sol88's new demented fantasy of "Coulomb distruption of the rocky surface" when comets have no rocky surface and not even his demented cult's has "Coulomb distruption" (their insiatiy is electric discharge machining).
Sol88s usual insanity of citing mainstream comet papers debunking his demented cult's electric comet insanity.

Evidence of sub-surface energy storage in comet 67P from the outburst of 2016 July 3 is an ices and dust comet paper.

Sol88's usual insane lies about the mainstream comet model which is confirmed by the plasma phenomena that has been observed.
Sol88's usual insane lies about comets - no charging of comets has been detected.
What we have are mainstream models of electrostatic charging of comet surfaces during the periods that the solar wind can reach the surface, i.e. before the coma shields the surface. This is a mainstream, "dirty snowball" mechanism to lift some dust and ice grains from the surface of real comets to form some of that coma that shields the surface. This is not Sol88's demented cult's electric comet insanity :eye-popp.i
Old 26th August 2019, 02:25 PM   #4418
Reality Check
Penultimate Amazing

Sol88's usual insanity of emphasizing how insane his demented cult's electric comet insiatiy is ! Over 45 years of deluded fantasies from his cult and they cannot even explain existence of comet tails.
Sol88's usual insanity of asking insanely ignorant questions - over a decade writing about comets and Sol88 has no idea what a comet tail is !
Sol88's usual insanity of lying about mainstream astronomy which knows electric currents exist and what they do.
Sol88's usual deluded fantasies about "vast and powerful electric currents". and physically impossible double layers.
Sol88's usual insanity of not citing or understanding B]mainstream ices and dust comet [/b] papers !
Quote:
The magnetometer onboard ESA's Rosetta orbiter detected its highest magnetic field magnitude of 250nT in July 2015, close to perihelion. This magnitude was an enhancement of a factor of five compared to normal values, which makes this the highest interplanetary magnetic field ever measured. We have examined the solar wind conditions at the time and found that a corotating interaction region (CIR), accompanied by a fast flow is the trigger for this unusual event. Because Rosetta does not have solar wind observations during the comet's active phase, we use ENLIL simulations as well as observations at Earth and Mars to constrain the solar wind parameters at the comet. Using a simple model for the magnetic field pile-up we can trace back the field in the coma to corresponding structures in the CIR. The large field is accompanied by a dramatic increase in electron and ion fluxes and energies. However, the electrons and ions in the field of view are not, as expected, increasing at the same time, instead the electrons follow the magnetic field, while the ion density increase is delayed. This is seen as evidence of the kinetic behaviour of the ions as opposed to a magnetized electron fluid. Combining the information on the plasma, we are able to identify at least three different regions in the plasma that have fundamentally different parameters. This allows us to separate the solar wind influence from the comet's effects on the plasma, a problem that is usually not solvable without a spacecraft monitoring the solar wind at the comet.
(my emphasis added)
ESA's Rosetta orbiter orbited the nucleus of comet 67P. That reading of 250nT in July 2015 was measured in the comet coma. The corotating interaction region (CIR) was a feature of the solar wind. The paper traces the magnetic field in the comet coma back to the CIR.

Nothing to do with Sol88's ignorant delusions about comet tails.

Last edited by Reality Check; 26th August 2019 at 02:39 PM.
Old 27th August 2019, 12:00 AM   #4419
Sol88
Philosopher

please explain

Put into what math? Do you know how "work" is defined? Do you know what induced currents can and cannot do?
And yes, disturbances in the SW created by the tail of a comet linger, but that has nothing do to with "work". That is dependend on how fast magnetic structures diffuse.

ay indeed, showing you have no idea about that the abstract is about if you think it is "the tail and the solar wind acting as a corotational interaction region". Oy Gevalt!

I for one enjoy having you back and do appreciate you are a busy man.

Thing is nothing new to discuss until the new papers are out.

So take it easy and enjoy the Sun.

Last edited by Sol88; 27th August 2019 at 12:02 AM.
Old 27th August 2019, 06:44 AM   #4420
tusenfem
Master Poster

Thing is nothing new to discuss until the new papers are out.

I'd think you'd have enough to explain, in answer to my last post (not that I expected anything significant). You're not even embarrassed that you don't know what a CIR is?

That seems to be the standard answer for all EU/ES/EC proponents: "we have to wait until the next papers come out." Never does any such person say: "Maybe if I download the data and do some analysis, I might try to show that my ideas have some merit."

(Max Headroom)
Old 27th August 2019, 07:23 AM   #4421
Belz...
Fiend God

So you are still comets are mostly ice then still?
Why would we conclude otherwise?

Quote:
Convincing.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th August 2019, 08:10 AM   #4422
ferd burfle
Graduate Poster

Thing is nothing new to discuss quote-mine until the new papers are out.

ftfy
Old 27th August 2019, 01:40 PM   #4423
Reality Check
Penultimate Amazing

Sol88's usual stupidity of wanting to discuss mainstream papers about ices and dust comets emphasizing that his cult's electric comet insanity cannot be supported even by Sol88 !
Old 27th August 2019, 02:38 PM   #4424
jonesdave116
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Why would we conclude otherwise?

Convincing.
The thing is Belz, that we have concluded differently. The problem for Sol88 is that we concluded this some decades ago. As he has repeatedly been told, with links to papers from the 90s onwards. Leaving out vacuum, dust dominates by both mass and volume. By mass, I think the best recent estimate was ~ 6:1. Of course, as the dust weighs more per unit volume than ice, the volume ratio is lower.
However, this is a strawman invented by the disingenuous high priest of the EU ists, Thornhill. Sol88 has therefore swallowed the lie hook, line and sinker. That is how Thornhill operates. Most people can easily see through him. Not Sol88, apparently.

Old 27th August 2019, 03:09 PM   #4425
Reality Check
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by jonesdave116 View Post
However, this is a strawman invented by the disingenuous high priest of the EU ists, Thornhill. Sol88 has therefore swallowed the lie hook, line and sinker. That is how Thornhill operates. Most people can easily see through him. Not Sol88, apparently.
As an illustration as to how deeply Sol88 has "drunk the Kool-Aid" from Thornhill (literally the poison that Thornhill spreads!), consider Thornhill's blatantly obvious lies about electric comet "confirmed predications" for the 2005 Deep Impact mission: 18 November 2010: The lies, failures and successes of Thunderbolts Deep Impact predictions by Wal Thornhill

For example: ThunderBolts Deep Impact predictions: Lying about flashes. Thornhill still has a "confirmed predication" that there would be an advance flash before impact. We observed 2 flashes as seen in experiments on and after impact. For the past 14 years Thornhill has lied that there was a flash before impact. But Sol88 still believes in a persistent liar !

The real insanity still in Thornhill's lying "confirmed predication" page is his stupidity of using uncited sources (press releases?) rather than the scientific literature.

The lies are emphasized on a Interim Report on Deep Impact page.
  1. The ejecta was up to 50% water - not a fantasy of "insufficient water".
  2. A delusion of a not observed "impact/electrical discharge" not revealing "primordial dirty ice" when the ejecta was observed to be dirty ice! A delusion that the ejecta would have an impact on the composition of the coma.
  3. A delusion that NASA investigators being stunned by images is science. The energy actually output by the impact was as predicted.
  4. The blatant lie about an advance flash being supported by 2 flashes. A "no one on NASA’s investigative team had anticipated this" delusion when it is likely that some investigators knew about the Ames Gun Range experiments with 2 flashes.
  5. A delusion that no data about temperatures supports their temperatures fantasies.
  6. A delusion that someone being surprised by the overload of the camera by light from the impact supports their delusions about comets.
  7. A NASA should "carefully review the rate at which ejecta filled the coma" delusion. These are their delusions, they need to support them.
  8. A "system did indeed fail a few seconds before impact" lie.
  9. A blatant lie of tracing rays back to their source of 2 ejecta craters. There were no such images of any rays or craters on Jul 19, 2005.
    NASA had to reroute Stardust to get a good image of the 1 and only crater.
  10. A delusion about the size of the crater.
  11. A delusion that not detecting x-rays and probably lying about what can be detected supports their delusions of x-rays.
  12. A delusion about OH and thus water forming in the coma.
  13. Thornhill delusions about x-rays in cometary coma.
  14. Thunderbolts insanity that they see " cleaning and electrostatic implantation" in space and will see evidence of that on Tempel 1's surface.
  15. A deluded lie that jets cannot maintain their structure in space.
  16. A lie that astronomers do not expect "fine dust" at comets.
  17. A lie that mainstream comets have to have "softened relief".
  18. A deluded lie that "small white spots" on Wild 2 and "featureless patches" on Tempel 1 are evidence of electrical surface arcing.

Last edited by Reality Check; 27th August 2019 at 03:43 PM.
Old 27th August 2019, 04:51 PM   #4426
Sol88
Philosopher

I'd think you'd have enough to explain, in answer to my last post (not that I expected anything significant). You're not even embarrassed that you don't know what a CIR is?

That seems to be the standard answer for all EU/ES/EC proponents: "we have to wait until the next papers come out." Never does any such person say: "Maybe if I download the data and do some analysis, I might try to show that my ideas have some merit."
Patience, its a virtue.

Mainstream are coming round!

This little black duck aint gunna be able to change squat in the institutionalized mainstream science cabal.

But our understanding seems to be evolving as M.A'Hearn stated.

Unfortunately for it's away from the dirtysnowball.

Co-rotating Interaction Regions???

Birkeland Currents and Double layers are far more appropriate than that MHD crap

Last edited by Sol88; 27th August 2019 at 04:55 PM.
Old 27th August 2019, 05:02 PM   #4427
jonesdave116
Illuminator

Birkeland Currents and Double layers are far more appropriate than that MHD crap
Lol. No wonder Tusenfem gave up! The unspeakable ignorance of the unqualified knows no bounds!

Old 27th August 2019, 05:08 PM   #4428
Sol88
Philosopher

The thing is Belz, that we have concluded differently. The problem for Sol88 is that we concluded this some decades ago. As he has repeatedly been told, with links to papers from the 90s onwards. Leaving out vacuum, dust dominates by both mass and volume. By mass, I think the best recent estimate was ~ 6:1. Of course, as the dust weighs more per unit volume than ice, the volume ratio is lower.
Ahhhh...so comets a fluffy dust!

Except there NOT, are they!

Dude that dust is consolidated....it's bloody rock!

but thanks for bringing it back into the mix again

Quote:
(c) What are comets made of?

At the simplest level, a very basic question is whether comets are mostly ice or mostly rock/dirt/refractory material. Whipple’s [2] model of the dirty snowball, the first quantitative model, envisioned cometary nuclei as mostly ice, although our understanding has been evolving more toward mostly rock, particularly for 67P/C-G for which refractory/volatile ratios as high as 6 have been cited [3,4]. Nevertheless, there is still considerable uncertainty about even this basic parameter, not least of which is that most measurements are subject to selection effects in removing refractories from the nucleus to the coma, where they are observed as dust.
Comets: looking ahead

Not mostly ice.....mostly ROCK (consolidated dust)

Square 1 again champ.

Last edited by Sol88; 27th August 2019 at 05:09 PM.
Old 27th August 2019, 05:10 PM   #4429
Sol88
Philosopher

Lol. No wonder Tusenfem gave up! The unspeakable ignorance of the unqualified knows no bounds!
Your stuck in the gas light era still, 'ol mate!

Old 27th August 2019, 06:12 PM   #4430
Reality Check
Penultimate Amazing

Sol88's usual lies about the mainstream which is not "coming around" to his demented cult's electric comet insanity.

Sol88's usual ignorant delusions about Birkeland currents and double layers.

Sol88's usual lies about physics: MHD is valid plasma physics.
Old 27th August 2019, 06:25 PM   #4431
Reality Check
Penultimate Amazing

Sol88's usual insane lies about comets - the empirical evidence is that comets are made of ices and dust. Gravity and cohesion consolidates the ices and dust grains into consolidated ices and dust.

Sol88's usual insane lies about his demented cult's electric cult dogma which is actual rock blasted from planets including recently.
Old 27th August 2019, 06:29 PM   #4432
Reality Check
Penultimate Amazing

Sol88's lies about the demented SAFIRE experiment about the Sun and a scientific experiment about the solar wind and Parker spiralQUOTE]

Sol88's usual stupidity about other posters. jonesdave116 cites the scientific literature on comets - not Sol88's "gaslight" delusion.
ETA: That is nothing like Sol88's decades of abysmal ignorance and delusions about science parroted from Sol88's demented cult with some of his own ignorance and delusions.

Last edited by Reality Check; 27th August 2019 at 07:02 PM.
Old 27th August 2019, 06:55 PM   #4433
jonesdave116
Illuminator

Your stuck in the gas light era still, 'ol mate!
Nope, I deal with the real world, based on evidence, observation and valid science. You don't. You just make **** up.

Old 28th August 2019, 12:20 AM   #4434
Sol88
Philosopher

please explain

Does the comets tail act as an obstacle to the solar wind?

Old 28th August 2019, 04:49 AM   #4435
tusenfem
Master Poster

Sol88, the gift that keeps giving, never leaves out an opportunity to show his ignorance.

(Max Headroom)
Old 28th August 2019, 04:57 AM   #4436
tusenfem
Master Poster

which tail?

(Max Headroom)
Old 28th August 2019, 06:11 AM   #4437
Lukraak_Sisser
Illuminator

Sol88, the gift that keeps giving, never leaves out an opportunity to show his ignorance.
What's also telling is that he has admitted that he knows his so called theory is wrong, nor does he have any clue on how it could be made right, but like any religious indoctrinated person he then keeps using it as if that will make nature change to fit his ideas.
Lukraak_Sisser is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th August 2019, 01:35 PM   #4438
Reality Check
Penultimate Amazing

The usual lies, delusions, insults, etc. already addressed over the last 10 years

Sol88's lies about the demented SAFIRE experiment about the Sun and a scientific experiment about the solar wind and Parker spiralQUOTE]

Sol88's insanity of asking idiotic question to derail from his demented cult's electric comet insanity.

The answer is obvious to a high school science student - yes. Any gas hitting another gas will be obstructed to some extent. Any gas hitting dust will be obstructed to some extent. The solar wind hitting the sublimated gases, dust grains and ice grains of the comet tails will be obstructed to some extent .
Old 28th August 2019, 01:46 PM   #4439
Sol88
Philosopher

which tail?
From the Ulysses mission.

Old 28th August 2019, 05:13 PM   #4440
Reality Check
Penultimate Amazing

From the Ulysses mission.

Sol88's insanity of exposing his abysmal ignorance of astronomy (and even Google or Wikipedia!) to derail from his demented cult's electric comet insanity.

The Ulysses mission encountered three comet tails. The crossing of the tail of comet C/2006 P1 showed an "obstruction" of the solar wind: "measured solar wind velocity dropping from approximately 700 kilometers per second (1,566,000 mph) to less than 400 kilometers per second (895,000 mph).[14]"

Last edited by Reality Check; 28th August 2019 at 05:16 PM.
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology