IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 29th April 2022, 10:16 AM   #1
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur

Help With iPad

I have an older iPad that hasn't been on for over a Year.

I took it on vacation started charging and it looks fine.

I'm trying to connect to hotel internet, but the date has to be set correctly to log on.

The iPad will let me change the date and time, but the year is wrong and I see no way to change it.

Any ideas?
Old 29th April 2022, 10:22 AM   #2
plague311
Great minds think...

Here's a link I found, a lot of issues seem to be based around the "set automatically", especially if you cross time zones. The short version:

Quote:
Follow these quick tips to fix time zone issues on iOS and iPadOS with your iPhone, iPad, or iPod

Update to the latest version of iOS or iPadOS

Look for a carrier settings update

Check that your device shows the correct time zone in Settings > General > Date & Time > Time Zone and toggle on Set Automatically

Check for a time zone update

Make sure you give permission for your device to use the current location via Settings > Privacy > Location Services > System Services > toggle on Setting Time Zone

Look at Screen Time’s settings

Check any Screen Time restrictions in Content & Privacy Restrictions

Turn off having a Screen Time Passcode

Turn off Share Across Devices in Screen Time–this appears to fix the issue for some folks

Or toggle off Screen Time entirely in Settings > Screen Time

If the time on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod is incorrect after syncing with iTunes or Finder, your computer’s time might be wrong. For Macs, go to System Preferences > Date & Time and tick the box for Set date and time automatically. Then resync your device with your computer

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss

Last edited by plague311; 29th April 2022 at 10:24 AM.
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th April 2022, 10:32 AM   #3
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur

Thanks for the quick response but I have no network connection and cannot update anything.

I turned off automatic time ( which requires internet ). The manual time settings do not have a way to change the year that I can see, and that is my problem.
Old 29th April 2022, 10:43 AM   #4
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by Skeptical Greg View Post
Thanks for the quick response but I have no network connection and cannot update anything.

I turned off automatic time ( which requires internet ). The manual time settings do not have a way to change the year that I can see, and that is my problem.
That's weird, sounds like a pain in the ass. I'm not very good with Apple products. My next suggestion would just be to buy a network adapter so to get internet that way, but maybe it won't work? How does it authenticate if it can't connect to the internet? How does it know the date is wrong, for that matter?

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th April 2022, 11:23 AM   #5
CORed
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
That's weird, sounds like a pain in the ass. I'm not very good with Apple products. My next suggestion would just be to buy a network adapter so to get internet that way, but maybe it won't work? How does it authenticate if it can't connect to the internet? How does it know the date is wrong, for that matter?
I've never used an IPAD, and haven't had an iphone since at least a decade ago, but I don't think there is any way connect them to the internet other than wifi. It used to be possible to connect/sync them with a PC or Mac using iTunes and a USB connection, but I don't know if that would help with getting the year set correctly. If you haven't done so already, I would try a Google search on setting the year for an Ipad, just in case there is some non-obvious trick for doing so. It seems to be a major defect in the user interface if there really isn't a way to set the year.

I love that the instructions somebody quoted listed the first step as "update the OS", as you need a wifi connection to do that.

ETA: It seems strange that it would refuse to connect to wifi with an incorrect date setting, but I can' say that I have ever tried to connect a device with an incorrect date setting to a wifi network. You might try connectiong to a different wifi network, if available, just in case that is something that's set just on the access point or router you are trying to connect to.

ETA: Assuming the incorrect year is in the past, try setting date and time to 11:59:59 PM December 31. It should advance the year by one as it turns over to Jan. 1. Repeat until you get the right year. If the incorrect year is in the future, I have nothing.

Last edited by CORed; 29th April 2022 at 11:38 AM.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th April 2022, 11:32 AM   #6
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur

I do not like Apple anything just for these same reasons. But I wasn't going to badmouth Apple when I needed help from Apple users.

My wife and son have iPhones and iPads and will not be swayed.

I wanted to help my wife do some streaming on a bigger screen than her iPhone, so I was trying to get the iPad up and running.

I had a little help from a tech savvy person here at the hotel and found I could tether the iPad to my phone, and I have at least got the date set.

Still trying to connect to hotel wifi, but there seems to be a trust issue from the iPad that I am trying to get it to ignore..

Thanks everyone who tried to help..
Old 29th April 2022, 11:47 AM   #7
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Use a phone as a hotspot to do the auto time.
Sideroxylon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th April 2022, 11:51 AM   #8
CORed
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Sideroxylon View Post
That would work too. However, with many mobile carriers, at least in the US, the ability to use the phone as a hotsopt is an extra cost feature, which may or may not be included on any given service plan.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th April 2022, 11:58 AM   #9
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur

Originally Posted by Sideroxylon View Post

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...19&postcount=6

Quote:
I had a little help from a tech savvy person here at the hotel and found I could tether the iPad to my phone, and I have at least got the date set.
Thanks for offering help..
Old 29th April 2022, 12:08 PM   #10
grmcdorman
Graduate Poster

The reason the date (and time) needs to be correct, by the way, is that a lot of security validations are time-based. For example, see RFC6238; this is a temporary password that requires the time to be correct on wherever it's generated and wherever it's verified.
Old 29th April 2022, 12:09 PM   #11
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by grmcdorman View Post
The reason the date (and time) needs to be correct, by the way, is that a lot of security validations are time-based. For example, see RFC6238; this is a temporary password that requires the time to be correct on wherever it's generated and wherever it's verified.
Which makes sense, but having no ability to easily match the time is kind of a stupid method.

Old 29th April 2022, 12:23 PM   #12
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur

Why no " year " change on manual time setting?

What genius at Apple thought that was a good idea?

That alone would have solved my problem if not for other issues that follow.

Wonderful new tidbits.

I am now connected to hotel internet and it gets more exciting. It started an IOS update and says it will take 5 days to download.. Understandable that the hotel limits bandwidth.

There is no way to cancel or pause or cancel the download. Another insult from Apple to not allow this.

I find that Safari cannot access my video content on Amazon, which is the only reason I was going to use the iPad for. The IOS update might fix that, but waiting 5 days is not an option.

Last edited by Skeptical Greg; 29th April 2022 at 12:37 PM.
Skeptical Greg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th April 2022, 01:43 PM   #13
Yalius
Muse

Wha..?

Settings // General // Date & Time
Turn off Set automatically
Then tap where it says (f'rinstance) April 29, 2022
A calendar opens.
Tap "April 2022" where there is a little blue bracket.
This opens a double spinner menu where you can select both the month and year.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ipad.jpg (51.7 KB, 6 views)
Yalius is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th April 2022, 01:58 PM   #14
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur

I have spinner for Month, day and time.

No spinner for the year..

An IOS update might fix it, but would not solve my problem today.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg iPadTime.jpg (72.5 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by Skeptical Greg; 29th April 2022 at 02:05 PM.
Skeptical Greg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th April 2022, 02:25 PM   #15
eerok
Quixoticist

I have spinner for Month, day and time.

No spinner for the year..

An IOS update might fix it, but would not solve my problem today.
That says 2022. What year do you want it to be?
Old 29th April 2022, 02:34 PM   #16
Yalius
Muse

What happens if you tap right where it says "Apr 29, 2022"?
Yalius is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th April 2022, 05:58 PM   #17
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur

Originally Posted by eerok View Post
That says 2022. What year do you want it to be?
That picture is after I got connected to the internet.

Originally Posted by Yalius View Post
What happens if you tap right where it says "Apr 29, 2022"?
It brings up the spinners for the month, day and time.
Old 29th April 2022, 06:11 PM   #18
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur

Thanks for all the help.. I gave the iPad back to my son.

A good exercise to remind me why I don't like Apple devices.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet