IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 29th April 2022, 05:57 AM   #1
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

Outlook/Homail doing weird things?

Following a phone call I need to send an email to help@blahblah.com, let's say.

I start a new mail and enter help@blahblah.com as the recipient, add a subject and move on to the text, and add an attachment.

I look it over and help@ has changed to hello@.

Assuming it's my typo I delete that and retype it. It alters what I type to hello again.There is no way to edit this afaics, and replacing it keeps getting the same result.

I check my contacts list to be sure, but this is my first email to blahblah.com, so there's no existing contact that's overriding what I type. The only way round this is to create a new contact, help@blahblah.com, and select that from the contacts list within the "To" box.

Similar odd things have happened lately, but I assumed I was screwing up. What's going on?
Old 29th April 2022, 09:06 AM   #2
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by GlennB View Post
Following a phone call I need to send an email to help@blahblah.com, let's say.

I start a new mail and enter help@blahblah.com as the recipient, add a subject and move on to the text, and add an attachment.

I look it over and help@ has changed to hello@.

Assuming it's my typo I delete that and retype it. It alters what I type to hello again.There is no way to edit this afaics, and replacing it keeps getting the same result.

I check my contacts list to be sure, but this is my first email to blahblah.com, so there's no existing contact that's overriding what I type. The only way round this is to create a new contact, help@blahblah.com, and select that from the contacts list within the "To" box.

Similar odd things have happened lately, but I assumed I was screwing up. What's going on?
Is "homail" an exclusive email service for women of the night?

That being said, are you using the desktop client\app or are you using a web browser? Does it act any differently between the two? Might be able to eliminate one of the culprits that way.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th April 2022, 09:23 AM   #3
GlennB

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
Is "homail" an exclusive email service for women of the night?

That being said, are you using the desktop client\app or are you using a web browser? Does it act any differently between the two? Might be able to eliminate one of the culprits that way.
It's the client/app, but I'll give your suggestion a try. Odd that it's a very occasional thing. I just tried various 'To:' addresses that I made up, all beginning with helo@ , and it left them alone
Old 29th April 2022, 09:26 AM   #4
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

Did you try turning autocorrect off?
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th April 2022, 09:57 AM   #5
Little 10 Toes
Master Poster

are you using your phone or your desktop to send the e-mail?
Little 10 Toes is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th April 2022, 10:02 AM   #6
GlennB

Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
It's off. I hate that thing
Old 29th April 2022, 10:03 AM   #7
GlennB

Originally Posted by Little 10 Toes View Post
are you using your phone or your desktop to send the e-mail?
Laptop. And, as mentioned, it's a rare thing and the address it's trying to insist on is a brand new one, even the domain name itself.
Old 29th April 2022, 10:12 AM   #8
plague311
Great minds think...

Here's the breakdown I was looking for on the autocomplete.

Long story short in the "\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\Roa mCache" there are files named "stream_autocomplete_0_numbers" that correspond with your outlook profile. If you rename yours to "x.old" and then try it again you'll know if it's an autocomplete thing. The problem is if you do that it will create a new file (with the same numbers at the end) and you'll lose all of your autocompletes; however, if you just delete the new one that was made and change the "x.old" back to "x.dat" everything will be back to normal.

I use the files all of the time when I'm replacing old machines because people get PISSED when they don't have that autocomplete and have to start over.

eta: Not sure why it's putting a space between Roam and Cache on the forums but it's supposed to be all one word.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss

Last edited by plague311; 29th April 2022 at 10:13 AM.
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th April 2022, 10:12 AM   #9
Little 10 Toes
Master Poster

web-based outlook?
Little 10 Toes is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th April 2022, 10:40 AM   #10
CORed
Penultimate Amazing

Every PC or phone app should have a "Just put whatever the hell I type there" setting. Auto complete and auto correct can be helpful at times, but can also be a complete PITA when they decide they know better than you what you are trying to type.

ETA: The Google search autocomplete scares me with how frequently the first item on the list is exactly what I want after I type two or three characters. Maybe I'm just that predictable, or maybe it's reading my mind.

Last edited by CORed; 29th April 2022 at 10:51 AM.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th April 2022, 11:57 AM   #11
GlennB

Originally Posted by Little 10 Toes View Post
web-based outlook?
No, client.
Old 30th April 2022, 11:49 AM   #12
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
Or copy and paste the address.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th April 2022, 03:56 PM   #13
GlennB

Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
Or copy and paste the address.
Didn't occur to me, frankly. Why Outlook might overrule what I'd typed was the mystery. I suppose I could have put it in a text editor and copy/pasted? Remember, the original I was using was a note on paper after a phone call, not embedded in an email.
Old 30th April 2022, 05:12 PM   #14
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

I have a similar problem with Google on an Android phone, frequently.

I'll type some very specific search terms, and find that they've been auto-incorrected while I'm typing.

It typically happens when I'm a couple of characters into the next search term.
(i.e. the previous term is suddenly incorrected)

I'm pretty zealous about turning off auto-incorrect, because I've never found one that corrects anything, only various versions that make things wrong.

But in this case, I haven't been able to find out where it is happening.
Old 30th April 2022, 06:20 PM   #15
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by CORed View Post
Every PC or phone app should have a "Just put whatever the hell I type there" setting. Auto complete and auto correct can be helpful at times, but can also be a complete PITA when they decide they know better than you what you are trying to type.

ETA: The Google search autocomplete scares me with how frequently the first item on the list is exactly what I want after I type two or three characters. Maybe I'm just that predictable, or maybe it's reading my mind.

Its Google, and its predicting what you want on what you have searched before

Try this (it will only work if your "Personal results" are enabled on Settings > Search Setting > Manage Personal Results >)

1. Go to a Google search and type "Ron". (but don't hit enter). You'll get a number of suggestions, including actors, politicians and other well known people.

2. Don't complete the search, just delete Ron and Type "Tarzan" and hit enter. You'll get a whole load of results about the fictional character.

3. Now close the Google tab/page and open a new one, and type "Ron" again. Almost certainly, the first suggestion will now be "Ron Ely" the actor who played Tarzan in the 1960s TV series, but he will not have been one of the people suggested when you first typed "Ron" in step 1

Last edited by smartcooky; 30th April 2022 at 06:22 PM.
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet