IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 6th May 2022, 05:59 PM   #1
Max_mang
Muse

Customizable summarizing software?

I have (what I think is) a unique software need. Wondering if anyone has ever seen anything that might fit the bill.

We have tons of results from various tests of clients. These need to be converted into something friendly and readable for laypeople. Here's a very simplified example:

Test results found from client testing: (this is the format we receive)
-Name: John Smith
-Test: Language skills
-Low average word retrieval.
-Low end of average verbal fluency
-high end of average category cue
-Average expressive vocabulary

Desired Generated Result: (this is the format that needs to be generated)
Language Skills: Mr. Smith’s word retrieval/confrontational naming was low average. His verbal fluency by letter cue fell within the low end of the average range, but his word retrieval by category cue fell within the high end of the average range. His expressive vocabulary was average.

Of course, if that was the only info we had to deal with it would take minutes to write a script to handle it. We are dealing with tons of info in different formats that need to be re-written for laypeople, this is just a small example.

If anyone has heard of any software like this, or has ideas on what to search for, please let me know and I'll check them out. Thanks in advance.
Max_mang is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th May 2022, 07:43 PM   #2
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Max_mang View Post
We are dealing with tons of info in different formats that need to be re-written for laypeople, this is just a small example.
You've basically told us everything we don't need to know and then this vague sentence. Sounds like you need a person.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th May 2022, 08:15 PM   #3
Max_mang
Muse

What's vague? I gave an exact example and description of what I'm looking for.

The sentence you quoted supports what I had written earlier in the post.
Max_mang is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th May 2022, 08:29 PM   #4
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Max_mang View Post
What's vague? I gave an exact example and description of what I'm looking for.
Then just write the script that will take minutes.

That is NOT an exact example. You've only made it exact by ignoring your entire problem. What's the "tons of info in different formats"? How many formats? How similar? Any patterns?
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2022, 04:08 AM   #5
Max_mang
Muse

You're incorrect on everything you've written. You're hyper focusing on one phrase and ignoring the rest. I could explain it, but then you'd hyper focus on the next useless thing.

Word of advice: work with people, not against them.
Old 7th May 2022, 09:18 AM   #6
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

Sigh. Just write the script then.

That one sentence says you need a person. Maybe they retype it, maybe the write a ton of scripts. Can't tell from what you haven't said.

Last edited by RecoveringYuppy; 7th May 2022 at 09:19 AM.
Old 8th May 2022, 06:13 PM   #7
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Power BI. It connects to processes data from just about everything.

However you seem to be requiring some AI type ability to process unstructured data as well.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th May 2022, 06:27 PM   #8
xjx388

Sounds like you need to get all the results from different tests into one database and then write the script.

I did this on a simple level using a spreadsheet. We manually inputted patient test results into a spreadsheet and then the script calculated the plain language explanations for each result or combination thereof.

“Your Cholesterol level is 327. You need to say your goodbyes to your family because it won’t be long now.” Note: Not the actual script.

Nowadays, I would want to find away to get all those results from labs, imaging, vital signs, etc automatically imported into the sheet. I could probably do it with the APIs our electronic record system provides…if I knew how to code.
Old 9th May 2022, 01:56 PM   #9
Max_mang
Muse

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
Power BI. It connects to processes data from just about everything.

However you seem to be requiring some AI type ability to process unstructured data as well.
Thanks, I'll check out Power BI.

No AI needed, it would just be a series of templates for each type of test. You punch in the names and results and the template would output the summary.

On another forum someone suggested report card writing software for teachers. I'm looking at some now, so far that solution looks promising. There's also some report writing software for physicians and such, but I haven't gotten too deep in them yet.
Old 9th May 2022, 01:59 PM   #10
Max_mang
Muse

Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
Sigh. Just write the script then.

That one sentence says you need a person. Maybe they retype it, maybe the write a ton of scripts. Can't tell from what you haven't said.
Again, you're completely incorrect.
Old 9th May 2022, 02:01 PM   #11
Max_mang
Muse

Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post
Sounds like you need to get all the results from different tests into one database and then write the script.

I did this on a simple level using a spreadsheet. We manually inputted patient test results into a spreadsheet and then the script calculated the plain language explanations for each result or combination thereof.

“Your Cholesterol level is 327. You need to say your goodbyes to your family because it won’t be long now.” Note: Not the actual script.

Nowadays, I would want to find away to get all those results from labs, imaging, vital signs, etc automatically imported into the sheet. I could probably do it with the APIs our electronic record system provides…if I knew how to code.
It's definitely along those lines. There's many types of tests and results and variations within those. What I'm looking for first is if there is already something that exists instead of creating something from the ground up. So far I'm looking at report card writing software for teachers and some for physicians - these were suggested to me on another forum and seem to be a good starting point for what's needed.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet