ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags big cats , cats , cryptozoology , Scotland incidents

Old 11th July 2013, 07:08 AM   #601
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Family spots "possible panther" in Louisiana.

"We got pictures of it sitting, jumping like it was playing and standing like it was proceeding to take off," Cathy Irwin said.

"That was a dangerous animal," she said. "and anything can happen at any given time especially with all the children in the neighborhoods."

It's a black housecat.

The brilliant people at Cryptomundo have a chance to comment.

"Umm..ok..So why is this a mystery? They live in the swamps of Florida and Louisiana. .I know this because I grew up seeing them. So do half the people I know..Why are people not believing they exist or something? Confused here…"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg panther-2.jpg (38.9 KB, 17 views)
Old 11th July 2013, 04:33 PM   #602
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Uncropped photo makes the difference.

http://klfy.images.worldnow.com/images/22768857_BG1.jpg

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2013, 01:35 AM   #603
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

A new report from Trowbridge, Wiltshire (UK). The couple report being 20 feet away from the labrador-sized animal whilst it ate, and they took a (reasonable) snap. I have to say that it looks dog-like to me, but they reported it as a cat.

Mike

Last edited by MikeG; 17th August 2013 at 01:41 AM.
MikeG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2013, 02:16 AM   #604
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

The bassist in our band swears that he saw a big cat in his garden in Monmouthshire. He's a sensible middle-aged man who wan't drunk at the time but he's absolutely sure of what he saw.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2013, 02:19 AM   #605
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
A new report from Trowbridge, Wiltshire (UK). The couple report being 20 feet away from the labrador-sized animal whilst it ate, and they took a (reasonable) snap. I have to say that it looks dog-like to me, but they reported it as a cat.

Mike
Everything about it looks canine to me. The tail, the ears, the general body shape looks more canine than feline.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2013, 09:37 AM   #606
jhunter1163
beer-swilling semiliterate

Location: Connecticut, or King Arthur's Court. Hard to tell sometimes.
Sure looks like a dog to me, too.
jhunter1163 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2013, 09:49 AM   #607
Apology
This title intentionally left blank

x3, it looks like a German Shepard in my opinion.
Apology is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2013, 03:42 PM   #608
catsmate
No longer the 1

Yeah, the tail especially says dog to me.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2013, 03:49 PM   #609
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Probably a dog but maybe a housecat. It certainly isn't a black leopard or jaguar which is what is being implied. The distance is so short and view unobstructed that I would confidently say that this is an intentional hoax and not a misidentification. The photographer knew that this wasn't a big cat.
Old 18th August 2013, 11:46 AM   #610
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Pictures of Big Cats always seem to be like pictures of Alien Dpaceships. Fuzzy and out of focus.

Why don't we ever get a good sharp picture with some kind of context to let us get a scale?
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th August 2013, 11:48 AM   #611
Soapy Sam
Penultimate Amazing

Because it's been heavily cropped and blown up to max?
Soapy Sam is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th August 2013, 12:49 PM   #612
fuelair
Suspended

Originally Posted by MikeG View Post

Mike
Looks more like a dog squatting to get rid of a previous meal.
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2018, 07:52 AM   #613
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Folks in Australia again make the claim of black panthers living there. Nope, just another housecat.

Originally Posted by Daily Mail
...Steven Musier, who filmed the footage, said the animal looked much larger than a normal feral cat, standing more than one metre high and as wide as the bonnet of a car.

'It's wasn't just your domestic cat gone feral,' he said. 'We see feral cats all the time, and we could film them all day long and that was definitely not a feral cat.'

The footage even had sceptics questioning if the large black cat could be a real panther.

But now the mystery has been shattered by a local who claims it was just her house cat, Toby, out for a regular stroll.

Local Blackheath resident Dannielle Duffy was amused to realise that the enormous black panther was in fact just her 14-year-old short-haired rescue cat...
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ns-Sydney.html
Old 18th June 2018, 09:55 AM   #614
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Deputy Admin

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
Folks in Australia again make the claim of black panthers living there. Nope, just another housecat.

Quote:
But now the mystery has been shattered by a local who claims it was just her house cat, Toby, out for a regular troll.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ns-Sydney.html
FTFY.
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal