ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 1st June 2018, 08:15 PM   #241
Jodie
Philosopher

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
This is still going on? There have already been multiple plausible answers to this. Here is mine, again.

Sure, maybe it was the staff, it is remotely possible. What is not remotely possible is that they fell from the ceiling or that a ghost did it.

It was either a friend or the staff. Case closed. What's the big mystery?

I played a practical joke on someone at work for months and I never told him. I fixed it so I could control his mouse from my own workstation using my foot with a spare mouse on the floor. I got good with it. Every so often I would do it and mess with him.

After some time he began thinking there was a "force" in his right hand, as the only time the mouse acted erratically was when he used his right hand. I actually trained him to use his left hand quite well.

People play pranks. It happens a lot, and it happened here at this restaurant. Obviously.
Not enough to do at work? That is pretty funny though.
"When I was a child I caught a fleeting glimpse out of the corner of my eye. I turned to look but it was gone, I cannot put my finger on it now. The child is grown, the dream is gone. I have become comfortably numb. " Pink Floyd
Jodie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st June 2018, 08:18 PM   #242
Jodie
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
What on Earth has whether anything was moving got to do with it? You appear to have completely misunderstood that link. It's explaining that your brain does not bring everything that's in your field of view to the attention of your conscious awareness.

People have recently been posting excellent examples in this thread:

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...d.php?t=329616
It has everything to do with it. You don't see the gorilla because there are multiple people moving in and out of the video and you're supposed to direct your attention to the balls being passed. The situation that we were in was completely different with no such distractions. We were just sitting there talking about work.
"When I was a child I caught a fleeting glimpse out of the corner of my eye. I turned to look but it was gone, I cannot put my finger on it now. The child is grown, the dream is gone. I have become comfortably numb. " Pink Floyd
Jodie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st June 2018, 08:25 PM   #243
Jodie
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
A little earlier in the thread you said:

Now you're saying that it fell on her arm and rolled off. Your story appears to have changed.
The earring could have very easily been snagged on the collar of her clothing. Becky was sitting , leaning forward with her arms crossed resting on the table. The earring fell straight down and rolled down her forearm and fell on the table.

Quote:
You've also neglected, twice, to answer my questions. If you're truly interested in working out what happened, then you should answer them, as nobody can offer any real insight if they don't have all the relevant information.
I've already addressed them earlier in the thread.

Quote:
Here they are again:
Old 1st June 2018, 08:27 PM   #244
Jodie
Philosopher

Becky, Gena, and I had lunch at the same place again today. Absolutely nothing happened. The eggplant parmesan was out of this world though....
Old 1st June 2018, 10:53 PM   #245
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

Originally Posted by Jodie View Post
It has everything to do with it. You don't see the gorilla because there are multiple people moving in and out of the video and you're supposed to direct your attention to the balls being passed. The situation that we were in was completely different with no such distractions. We were just sitting there talking about work.
Wrong. You don't see the gorilla because your attention was focused on something else, yes, but that something else does not need to be moving. Your brain filters out the noise and brings only the signal to the attention of your conscious awareness, and it makes mistakes as to what the signal is - what your conscious mind would like to have been brought to its notice. Nothing in your field of view needs to be moving for this to happen.

Have you read the thread I linked? It's quite short, but contains several examples of people not seeing - or rather not registering, even though they are seeing it - something they were actually looking for, and which they were looking right at.

Last edited by Pixel42; 1st June 2018 at 10:57 PM.
Pixel42 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2018, 03:18 AM   #246
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

I've already addressed them earlier in the thread.
No you didn't. That's why I asked them specifically.

It is, of course, entirely up to you whether or not you answer them but, again, if you actually want to find out what really happened, then nobody can help you unless they have all the salient information. If on the other hand, you want to be able to say "well, I asked a bunch of sceptics and nobody could come up with an explanation", then not answering salient questions is the best way to do that.
Old 2nd June 2018, 03:57 AM   #247
Ethan Thane Athen
Graduate Poster

It fell out of your friend's ear or off her sleeve where it had snagged from previously removing that top last time she wore them. When you all commented how cheap and tacky it was she didn't have the heart to say it was hers. Happy to help.

Last edited by Ethan Thane Athen; 2nd June 2018 at 04:00 AM.
Ethan Thane Athen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2018, 07:04 AM   #248
Nay_Sayer
I say nay!

False, Your story never happened.
----------------------------------------------
“That which can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.” -Christopher Hitchens-
Nay_Sayer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th June 2018, 02:55 PM   #249
Jodie
Philosopher

Wrong. You don't see the gorilla because your attention was focused on something else, yes, but that something else does not need to be moving. Your brain filters out the noise and brings only the signal to the attention of your conscious awareness, and it makes mistakes as to what the signal is - what your conscious mind would like to have been brought to its notice. Nothing in your field of view needs to be moving for this to happen.

Have you read the thread I linked? It's quite short, but contains several examples of people not seeing - or rather not registering, even though they are seeing it - something they were actually looking for, and which they were looking right at.
I read it but I think you're wrong. If nothing is moving in your field of vision "whilst"everything else is stationary then your attention will be drawn to the moving object.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...42698906004603
Old 6th June 2018, 02:56 PM   #250
Jodie
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Ethan Thane Athen View Post
It fell out of your friend's ear or off her sleeve where it had snagged from previously removing that top last time she wore them. When you all commented how cheap and tacky it was she didn't have the heart to say it was hers. Happy to help.
LOLOL.....maybe, but she had her two gold hoops in her ears. The tacky earring may have been hooked on her collar.
Old 6th June 2018, 03:07 PM   #251
Jodie
Philosopher

How do you know? You say that "we ruled out a falling insect". How did you do that? You say "we saw it wasn't a bug". How did you, as a group, establish that?
The light waves entered my eyeball and passed through the lens of my eye. The signal was then carried by the optic nerve to the visual center of my brain. Within mere nanoseconds my brain went through it's catalog of small objects and saw an earring, not a bug. We all looked at earring and agreed that it was indeed an earring.

Quote:
In what way do you suppose it might be?
The conversation about a daith earring, then an earring falls on Becky, earring being the common denominator in this situation.

Quote:
I don't see how or why it could.
If the first earring fell like the second earring then the act of falling would be the common denominator in this situation.
Old 6th June 2018, 06:12 PM   #252
mgidm86
Illuminator

It was Google nobody cared. No comment on my thorough explanation?

Quote:
me

Simple explanation:

I'd say it was someone else in the group playing around.

Look, the group is discussing earrings and woo and earrings appear. Coincidence? Probably not. The fact that anyone would believe in any way that earrings can help migraines is a sign of woo, and someone at the table probably knows it.

Therefore, someone(s) in the group gathered a few cheap earrings from purses and threw one and it hit the floor. Bad shot. Maybe it was even tossed to the person not as a joke but some other reason.

Maybe it took 10 minutes to find because it slid far from the table due to it being thrown laterally rather than falling vertically. Perhaps it rolled.

So the first earring misses and a second is tossed, this time maybe (maybe not) tossed up toward the ceiling. It's a group of five people so one could pull this off unnoticed.

The earring(s) could have been flipped like a coin which would require no arm movement and send them straight up.

The earring lands, mystery is afoot, then after ten minutes of looking, the other earring is found, possibly by the person who threw it.

The earrings don't match, and since ghosts don't wear mismatched earrings, it would lead me to believe that two women were involved, though possibly only one.
Coworker did it. As this thread has progressed I've become convinced that they were messing with you because they knew you'd fall for it. Very small chance it was the server for the same reason - very small. Final post.
Old 6th June 2018, 11:15 PM   #253
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

I read it but I think you're wrong. If nothing is moving in your field of vision "whilst"everything else is stationary then your attention will be drawn to the moving object.
It's more likely to be drawn to a moving object, yes, all other things being equal, but it depends on what your brain considers relevant information at the time. In the example I originally gave my brain filters out the moving cars in the lane behind my bird feeder because my attention is on the latter and the former are irrelevant. So, for example, if your attention was drawn to an earring on the floor your brain would have filtered out an insect crawling away.
Old 7th June 2018, 03:49 AM   #254
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

The light waves entered my eyeball and passed through the lens of my eye. The signal was then carried by the optic nerve to the visual center of my brain. Within mere nanoseconds my brain went through it's catalog of small objects and saw an earring, not a bug. We all looked at earring and agreed that it was indeed an earring.
All of you had it in your vision from the time it was in the air to the time it had rolled off her sleeve onto the table?

Quote:
The conversation about a daith earring, then an earring falls on Becky, earring being the common denominator in this situation.
In what way does that imply a causal connection between the two?

Quote:
If the first earring fell like the second earring then the act of falling would be the common denominator in this situation.
Do all objects that fall have a causal connection to each other? If so, then what is the mechanism by which the one causes the other? If not, then your description of what makes you think there is a causal relationship here is incomplete.
Old 7th June 2018, 04:31 AM   #255
Nay_Sayer
I say nay!

Becky, Gena, and I had lunch at the same place again today. Absolutely nothing happened. The eggplant parmesan was out of this world though....
So just like the first time then?
----------------------------------------------
“That which can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.” -Christopher Hitchens-
Nay_Sayer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2018, 05:07 AM   #256
Drewbot
Philosopher

I think Jodie threw it.

She wanted to make people get into this supernatural thing, so she steers the conversation to daith earrings, then throws a couple of earrings at her friend. She then says "OMG where did those come from???!? and lets her friends say 'OMG we were just talking about earrings!!!!'
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2018, 06:14 AM   #257
Ethan Thane Athen
Graduate Poster

LOLOL.....maybe, but she had her two gold hoops in her ears. The tacky earring may have been hooked on her collar.
Your last sentence shows dawning realisation. Prosaic explanations are far more likely than some mysterious supernatural force...
Ethan Thane Athen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2018, 02:21 PM   #258
FramerDave
Muse

We were only there for 2 1/2 hours. It's a long lunch but not that long...
Hold on. You and a bunch of coworkers were out to lunch, on a Friday, for 2 1/2 hours? What kind of a place do you work at where you can take such long lunches?

"If you want to see what baby oil does to lactating breasts pm me your email." mayday
FramerDave is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2018, 03:49 PM   #259
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

This is all about physics and reality that humans just don't understand yet. Jodie has seen it in action. More than just once.
Old 7th June 2018, 10:20 PM   #260
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

I'm starting to have doubts as to the veracity of this story . . .
Looking forward to the Trump Presidential Library. A putting green. Recipes for chocolate cake. A live Twitter feed for visitors to post on. A little black book w the phone numbers of porn stars. You're in and out in five minutes.

Alec Baldwin
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th June 2018, 03:55 AM   #261
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by FramerDave View Post
Hold on. You and a bunch of coworkers were out to lunch, on a Friday, for 2 1/2 hours? What kind of a place do you work at where you can take such long lunches?
And:

Quote:
We were there for a couple of hours, the lunch crowd had dwindled down, and we had the room to ourselves. As we were talking and gossiping we heard something fall, hit the tile floor behind Becky, who was sitting directly across from me.
Quote:
Not really, the dishes were still on the table and hadn't been cleared yet when it happened.
The dirty dishes were still on the table after 2+ hours.

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?

Last edited by LTC8K6; 8th June 2018 at 03:56 AM.
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th June 2018, 03:59 AM   #262
P.J. Denyer
Illuminator

We were only there for 2 1/2 hours. It's a long lunch but not that long...
And...

Old 21st June 2018, 06:26 PM   #263
Jodie
Philosopher

It's more likely to be drawn to a moving object, yes, all other things being equal, but it depends on what your brain considers relevant information at the time. In the example I originally gave my brain filters out the moving cars in the lane behind my bird feeder because my attention is on the latter and the former are irrelevant. So, for example, if your attention was drawn to an earring on the floor your brain would have filtered out an insect crawling away.
The earring fell on Becky's left arm and tumbled down onto the table top. I never saw an insect, just assumed that was what it was until it stopped moving.
Old 21st June 2018, 06:27 PM   #264
Jodie
Philosopher

Originally Posted by FramerDave View Post
We get off on Friday at 12:30, lucky me.
Old 23rd June 2018, 12:20 PM   #265
Ampulla of Vater
Master Poster

Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post

The dirty dishes were still on the table after 2+ hours.
There are 2 types of people, in my experience. One type goes to a restaurant with a group of people, sits down, reads the menu, orders and eats. The other type goes to a restaurant with a group of people, sits down, converses for an unlimited amount of time, then looks at the menu, orders and eats. If you are of the second type, sometimes you have to proceed like the first type, if you are limited in time. Rarely do people of the first type conduct themselves like those of the second type. Of course this is simply my observation. Anyway, having dishes on the table 2 hours after one has arrived at a restaurant means absolutely nothing.
Ampulla of Vater is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th June 2018, 06:43 AM   #266
Dumb All Over
A Little Ugly on the Side

Location: They call it the Earth (which is a dumb kinda name)
This thread perfectly illustrates why it is best to avoid the three-martini lunch.
The Three Word Story Pledge of Allegiance- "I Hereby swear upon Engelbert's grave that I will gallop, not stride run, not walk posting three words on Shemp's honor, honoring: bananas, dwarfs, clarinets, [the 7th naughty forum word], haggis, Batman, nuns, wombats until such time as I'm sober. Or dead."
"Some people have a way with words, other people...Um...Oh...Uh, not have way." -Steve Martin
Dumb All Over is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th June 2018, 10:39 AM   #267
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ampulla of Vater View Post
There are 2 types of people, in my experience. One type goes to a restaurant with a group of people, sits down, reads the menu, orders and eats. The other type goes to a restaurant with a group of people, sits down, converses for an unlimited amount of time, then looks at the menu, orders and eats. If you are of the second type, sometimes you have to proceed like the first type, if you are limited in time. Rarely do people of the first type conduct themselves like those of the second type. Of course this is simply my observation. Anyway, having dishes on the table 2 hours after one has arrived at a restaurant means absolutely nothing.
It means you didn't follow the thread that closely, but I can't blame you.

As an aside, I never heard of a small strip mall restaurant allowing you to sit for a very long time and chat, before ordering any food.

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th June 2018, 02:29 AM   #268
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

And, again, Jodie leaves the pertinent questions unanswered. I can't speak to her motivations, but it certainly doesn't seem as if she's genuinely interested in getting answers.
Old 26th June 2018, 03:13 AM   #269
P.J. Denyer
Illuminator

And, again, Jodie leaves the pertinent questions unanswered. I can't speak to her motivations, but it certainly doesn't seem as if she's genuinely interested in getting answers.
Nothing must spoil the specialness. If we'd just accept that the laws of physics are suspended in her presence this would all go much easier.
Old 26th June 2018, 03:52 PM   #270
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

There's nothing worse than an unanswered question. Even a ****** answer is better than no answer at all.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal