ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags alternative medicine

Old 25th June 2018, 08:15 AM   #1
Bikewer
Penultimate Amazing

Living Water.

I just saw one of those commercial-decorated cars on the road advertising this “Living Water”.

Prominent was a message to “call for franchise information”...

But also things like “hydrogen rich” (????)

The website:
http://www.livingwaterhealthsolutions.com/

Quotes from scripture in a couple of places, and indicates that this stuff has all sorts of health and curative powers, as well as improvements in “cognitive ability”.

Sounds like a combination of good old snake-oil and a pyramid scheme all rolled into one.
Bikewer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th June 2018, 08:25 AM   #2
Myriad
Hyperthetical

Location: A pocket paradise between the sewage treatment plant and the railroad
Huh. A few weeks ago when the town where I work discovered its water was living, we were told to boil it.

We should have bottled it up and sold it instead? Who knew?
Old 25th June 2018, 08:27 AM   #3
The Sparrow
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Bikewer View Post
Well, not technically a lie I guess
The Sparrow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th June 2018, 09:09 AM   #4
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

They've probably filtered out all of the deadly DHMO.
Old 25th June 2018, 09:13 AM   #5
fromdownunder
Philosopher

Perhaps it is also wetter than normal water.

Norm

fromdownunder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th June 2018, 09:56 AM   #6
madurobob
Philosopher

Funny thing is almost nothing on their list of products is a liquid, much less something you might call water.
Old 25th June 2018, 10:41 AM   #7
P.J. Denyer
Illuminator

Up to two thirds hydrogen?
Old 25th June 2018, 10:58 AM   #8
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
So...does this mean drinking is murder?
Hellbound is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th June 2018, 11:11 AM   #9
The Man
Scourge, of the supernatural

I just saw one of those commercial-decorated cars on the road advertising this “Living Water”.

Prominent was a message to “call for franchise information”...

The website:
http://www.livingwaterhealthsolutions.com/

Quotes from scripture in a couple of places, and indicates that this stuff has all sorts of health and curative powers, as well as improvements in “cognitive ability”.

Sounds like a combination of good old snake-oil and a pyramid scheme all rolled into one.
Well, guess they hope the "cognitive ability” doesn't improve too much.

Reminds me of the smart pill joke. A man is selling little round 'smart pills'. A customer buys some, eats one and goes "EWWW, that tastes like crap!!". The man goes "Yep, rabbit crap, see, you're getting smarter already".
Old 25th June 2018, 01:09 PM   #10
Hokulele
Deleterious Slab of Damnation

I am now tempted to start a business selling "Zombie Water".
Old 25th June 2018, 01:49 PM   #11
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Originally Posted by Hokulele View Post
Risen Water.

Think about it, you could monetize your own urine!
Hellbound is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th June 2018, 03:31 PM   #12
xjx388
Philosopher

Perusing the linked website, it seems they don't sell any water at all and it's some kind of woo clinic in Mississippi . . . I do find that Living Water seems to be some kind of MLM/Franchise thing in the Philippines.
Old 25th June 2018, 03:34 PM   #13
Kid Eager
Philosopher

I like this part - read carefully - I haven't changed a word:
Quote:
"Our purpose is to HELP you achieve health and wellness in every way! We realize people aren’t just physically sick, they are sick in their heart, soul, mind and body! Good health consists of far free fonts more than physical health, and can only be obtained replica watches when our entire being is well. A person’s mental and spiritual health has a direct affect on their physical health and vise-versa."
As for the cherry on the cake, he's certified in colon cleansing, amongst other things...
http://www.livingwaterhealthsolutions.com/about.php

Last edited by Kid Eager; 25th June 2018 at 03:37 PM.
Kid Eager is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th June 2018, 04:47 PM   #14
fromdownunder
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Kid Eager View Post
I like this part - read carefully - I haven't changed a word:

As for the cherry on the cake, he's certified in colon cleansing, amongst other things...

No wonder then, when I first looked at the phrase "far free fonts" in your link, I read "far free farts"

Norm

fromdownunder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th June 2018, 05:24 PM   #15
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Maybe someone lost a fake Rolex up there.

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th June 2018, 05:37 PM   #16
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Awwww

This page isn’t working
www.livingwaterhealthsolutions.com redirected you too many times.
Try clearing your cookies.
ERR_TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS
Old 25th June 2018, 06:31 PM   #17
Apathia
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Hokulele View Post

This is a marketable notion! It's all in the packaging.

"Humans aren't rational creatures but rationalizing creatures."
Author Unknown
Apathia is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th June 2018, 06:33 PM   #18
Norman Alexander
Illuminator

Somewhere, a Nigerian is chortling...
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th June 2018, 07:08 AM   #19
SOdhner
Graduate Poster

This site is amazing. It's the gift that keeps on giving.
SOdhner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th June 2018, 05:13 PM   #20
EHocking
Philosopher

...But also things like “hydrogen rich” (????)
Originally Posted by The Sparrow View Post
Well, not technically a lie I guess
Actually, as this is woo - of course it is technically a lie.

H has an atomic radius of 25, Oxygen is 60.
Density of H is 88 kg/m3 and O, 1495.

So you have only 14% H by volume and 12% by mass.

Hardly “hydrogen rich” in my book.
According to FDA guidelines,
“ The terms "high," "rich in," or "excellent source of" may be used on the label and in the labeling of foods,. . . provided that the food contains 20 percent or more of the RDI or the DRV per reference amount customarily consumed.
I don’t know if there is an RDI for H, but 12 or 14 is still less than 20 as far as my maths can work out.

Pedantic forum correction of atomic volumes and weight, comparison calculations and interpretation of FDA regulations in 3, 2, 1. . .
"It's all god's handiwork, there's little quality control applied", Fox26 reporter on Texas granite
Forum Birdwatching Webpage

Last edited by EHocking; 26th June 2018 at 05:16 PM.
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2018, 01:19 AM   #21
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

This guy (Ronnie Ingley) has a presence as a Mississippi redemptionist-type minister, too. Gotta be the same guy. Living Water is in Hattiesburg.

Check out this page, doubters....

I'll have you know that not only has he read the works of several doctors, but that he's an adherent to the Godliness of the Hallelujah Acres health plan - some sort of Raw Foodie Meets Bible Thumper organization.

But if that doesn't sell you.... look at that picture of their hallway! That's some hallway, I tell ya! As the caption explains, that's the "Living Water Hallway". Hey, I'm sold!

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2018, 06:40 AM   #22
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Originally Posted by EHocking View Post

“ The terms "high," "rich in," or "excellent source of" may be used on the label and in the labeling of foods,. . . provided that the food contains 20 percent or more of the RDI or the DRV per reference amount customarily consumed.
I don’t know if there is an RDI for H, but 12 or 14 is still less than 20 as far as my maths can work out.

Pedantic forum correction of atomic volumes and weight, comparison calculations and interpretation of FDA regulations in 3, 2, 1. . .
Well, if the RDI is "none", then even no hydrogen would be 20% of the RDI.

Didn't want you to be disappointed...

Old 27th June 2018, 07:19 AM   #23
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

My parents taught me that it is wrong to take advantage of stupid people. But I must admit it is getting more and more difficult for me to stick to that moral teaching. The stupid seem to want so desperately to be suckered. Why deny them? And if you sell them hydrogen-rich water, or colonic cleaning, or mono-magnetic copper bracelets, etc. at a high price, they are very likely to indeed feel better after the "treatment." Just as people enjoy more the same wine if sold for $200 a bottle than $2.

Actually my moral qualms against selling people useless health aides remain fully intact. But my ethical resistance in other areas, such as the idea of selling high-end audiophiles magic crystals that "enhance the depth and transparency" of their music, is wavering. But the competition in that field is already intense. I will have to think up something else.
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2018, 05:24 PM   #24
EHocking
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Hellbound View Post
Well, if the RDI is "none", then even no hydrogen would be 20% of the RDI.

Didn't want you to be disappointed...

"It's all god's handiwork, there's little quality control applied", Fox26 reporter on Texas granite
Forum Birdwatching Webpage
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2018, 05:33 PM   #25
Norman Alexander
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Giordano View Post
Actually my moral qualms against selling people useless health aides remain fully intact. But my ethical resistance in other areas, such as the idea of selling high-end audiophiles magic crystals that "enhance the depth and transparency" of their music, is wavering. But the competition in that field is already intense. I will have to think up something else.
Try selling them on the prospect of making millions by assisting you move left-over funds from a sub-Sahara African revolution to a Swiss bank account. All they need do is supply an idle bank account in their name and pay the transfer fees, and they can have a percentage of the millions.

(That percentage may be zero. )
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2018, 08:00 PM   #26
gabeygoat
Graduate Poster

Needs more hydrinos
Old 28th June 2018, 08:41 AM   #27
CORed
Philosopher

Originally Posted by EHocking View Post

It's still 2/3 measured in moles. You've got to choose your units carefully.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal