ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 27th May 2018, 09:06 AM   #1
wasapi
Philosopher

interesting proof, for me

I actually had an experience that made me notice why so many people believe in paranormal-type events.

On a hot day I was outside in the garden with my dog, Allie. Ready to come in, I went to hook the leash onto her collar, but I saw no collar on her neck. I was mystified at how it could have come off. Looked again. No collar. I started to search the garden, but when Allie came up and nudged me - her red collar was on.

OK. I thought about tricks of the eye, I thought about sun reflection, even mild hallucination from the heat of the day as the reason, and I was fine with that. However, it also made me think that it is also an example of people feeling they saw or something paranormal.

People will visualize, but not really question. Hence, seeing diseased? Seeing and hearing things?
Old 27th May 2018, 09:34 AM   #2
simonxlong
Thinker

I think there is definitely an element where believers are influenced by occurrences of the mind playing tricks. This is especially heightened in situations where people might be conditioned, even subconsciously, to look for a specific outcome, such as hunters in the woods seeing bigfoot.

That's why eyewitness testimony can be so sketchy. Not only is our memory subject to change over time, but we often don't even see things as they actually occurred, instead projecting our own mental images onto events.
simonxlong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th May 2018, 10:30 AM   #3
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Your dog momentarily exchanged places with her collarless counterpart from a parallel universe.

"I don't want to live in a world without shemp." - Quarky

"...just as a magnet attracts iron filings, Trump attracts, and is attracted to, louts." - George Will
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th May 2018, 10:51 AM   #4
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
Your dog momentarily exchanged places with her collarless counterpart from a parallel universe.
I see the paw of Krypto in this mystery.

"Dulce bellum inexpertīs." - Erasmus
BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th May 2018, 10:52 AM   #5
P.J. Denyer
Illuminator

I was thinking something similar the other evening. About midnight I was walking my dog around the block and I saw someone standing on the corner, hood up, head down, probably looking at a phone. The dog did his business I picked it up, dumped it in the bin and when I looked back the person was gone. Disappeared. When I looked again I realised it was an optical illusion caused by several car parts lining up with an object on a van dashboard (made the head) and the sodium lights from the streetlight bleaching out the colours. Under normal light it wouldn't have looked anything like a person but those exact circumstances and I had me a 'ghost'.
Old 27th May 2018, 11:14 AM   #6
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by wasapi View Post
I actually had an experience that made me notice why so many people believe in paranormal-type events.

On a hot day I was outside in the garden with my dog, Allie. Ready to come in, I went to hook the leash onto her collar, but I saw no collar on her neck. I was mystified at how it could have come off. Looked again. No collar. I started to search the garden, but when Allie came up and nudged me - her red collar was on.

OK. I thought about tricks of the eye, I thought about sun reflection, even mild hallucination from the heat of the day as the reason, and I was fine with that. However, it also made me think that it is also an example of people feeling they saw or something paranormal.

People will visualize, but not really question. Hence, seeing diseased? Seeing and hearing things?
Proof? It is proof that we are at the mercy of our perceptions. The thing is that our senses can record data much faster than our conscious brain can process it (at least ten times faster). For this reason, we have a filter that tries to sort out which data to present to the conscious level of our brains. Ever tried to search for several different items at the same times?

Unfortunately, this filter sometimes screws up and filters out exactly the thing we are looking for. In such cases, you simply don't perceive what is right in front of you. In other cases, one set of data is connected to something else, and you thing you perceive something that isn't there. We can show experimentally that this happens.

Hans
Old 27th May 2018, 09:00 PM   #7
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

I have been looking for a dingus, lifted something to see whether the dingus was under it, noticed that it wasn't, then kept looking for it in other places. Having not found it anywhere else, I have come back and lifted the thing a second time, and the dingus I was looking for was under it.

This has happened to me several times.
Old 27th May 2018, 09:20 PM   #8
Delvo
الشيطان الأبيض

Funny how if this happens to a kid, the adults in that kid's life invariably accuse the kid of lying about not having looked in the first place...

Or maybe it was just the adults in my life...
Delvo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th May 2018, 09:32 PM   #9
smartcooky
Philosopher

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
I have been looking for a dingus, lifted something to see whether the dingus was under it, noticed that it wasn't, then kept looking for it in other places. Having not found it anywhere else, I have come back and lifted the thing a second time, and the dingus I was looking for was under it.

This has happened to me several times.
I saw a blue crescent spanner lying on top of a payphone once.... Ooops!
As democracy is perfected, the office represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. We move toward a lofty ideal. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.
- Henry Louis Mencken - Baltimore Evening Sun, July 26, 1920

Last edited by smartcooky; 27th May 2018 at 10:03 PM.
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th May 2018, 09:52 PM   #10
TheGoldcountry
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
Funny how if this happens to a kid, the adults in that kid's life invariably accuse the kid of lying about not having looked in the first place...

One of my mother's favorite sayings when I was a kid was "if that was a snake, it would have bit ya!"

"I looked, mom, I swear!"
Old 28th May 2018, 02:04 AM   #11
DevilsAdvocate
Illuminator

My dad once couldn’t find the car keys right in front of him. We were preparing to do something. He said he needed to get something from his car. We started discussing who was going to what at what time and how to coordinate things. While we were talking, he put his hand in his pocket, took out his keys, and put them on the table. After we had been talking for a minute he said he better run out to the car before he forgets.

He looked down at the keys and then looked up and put his hand in his pocket. Then he started searching his pockets and looking around the room and checking under the table. We watched, wondering what he was doing, and eventually asked. He said he was looking for his keys. I said they were in front of him. He looked down at the keys and said, “No. I can’t find my keys.” He started looking around again.

I asked him if his car key was on a different key ring from his other keys. He said “No.” and looked down at the keys again saying, “They were just right here.” He started looking under the chair. I thought he might be completely losing it. I walked over and pointed to the keys and said, “They are right there!” He looked for a moment with a puzzled look and said, “There they are!”

Then he looked at me and the others with a suspicious looked and asked if we were pulling a prank on him. He said the keys definitely were not there before. He was sure I had took the keys away and then put them back when he wasn’t looking as a joke. We eventually convinced him that the keys had been just sitting there the whole time.

I think what happened was that when I realized he had to get something from the car, he planned to take his keys from his pocket and put them on the table so he wouldn’t forget. Then he got caught up in the conversation and put the keys on the table without realizing. He thought his keys were still in his pocket. But he remembered that he had planned to put them on the table and he thought he had not done that, therefore the table would be the one place the keys could NOT be. When he looked at the table, he didn’t see them because he already “knew” that they could not be there.

Sometimes we only see what we expect to see.
Heaven forbid someone reads these words and claims to be adversely affected by them, thus ensuring a barrage of lawsuits filed under the guise of protecting the unknowing victims who were stupid enough to read this and believe it! - Kevin Trudeau
DevilsAdvocate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th May 2018, 02:53 AM   #12
kellyb
Philosopher

I've had it happen before at least twice that I can't see the gallon jug of milk in the fridge, when I'm positive it should be there. Which it is. My brain just erases it out of my field of vision temporarily.

Once on this forum there was a thread about phenomena that require new phrases to describe them, and that "can't see what's right in front of you" thing was deemed "visual lacuity".
Old 28th May 2018, 05:00 AM   #13
Mackenberg
Thinker

I had a similar experience a few years ago. I'd been living abroad for three months, prepping my late father's estate for auction, etc., and was finally packing my bags and preparing to return home.

As I'm packing, I'm trying to recall whether I brought my spare keys with me, on the chance that my wife might not be able to pick me up from the airport. We're chatting by Skype and I ask her to double-check whether the spare keys are in their usual place at home. She says they're not, so evidently I did bring them on this trip. I can't recall having seen them all the time I've been here, though.

So I'm packing, looking for the keys, can't find them and basically shrug it off - she will, in fact, be able to pick me up and it's no huge deal to have a few new keys cut. I sit down and we keep Skype chatting.

About twenty minutes later I hear a "jingle-thunk" sound, exactly like a small set of keys falling a few feet onto a carpetted floor. I turn around and there are the keys I'd been looking for.

So; given that I don't believe in the supernatural, my best guess is that the sequence went like this:

* In packing, I removed my laptop case from the closet, where it's been sitting undisturbed for the past three months.

* Somehow, I just didn't notice that the keys were inside or snagged on the outside when I searched the case.

* During that search, the keys (their sound masked by the jingling of the case zipper tabs) fell or slid, unnoticed, onto the jacket on the back of the chair I'm sitting on.

* There they sat for twenty minutes until my movement dislodged them and they fell to the floor behind me.

It was an uncanny moment when it happened and I think it's a good exercise to parse these things from a rational point of view.
Mackenberg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th May 2018, 05:26 AM   #14
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

I have a (unisex) wrist watch inherited from my girl friend who died in 2011. I never developer a habit of wearing it, and so it would sit somewhere most of the time. Until I couldn't find it in 2014. But at that time I was already preparing to move, and figured I would inevitably find when packing and unpacking all my things.

It didn't reapper.

I moved again in 2016, and again, the watch remained disappeared. Perhaps 3 months later, when I had well settled in my new place, I told my new girl friend how the watch didappeared, never to be found again, despite my being very certain it must have been in my apartment. She then asked me: "Is it this watch, perhaps?", pointing at the top of a low wardrobe where the watch indeed lay plain and openly.

I can rule out with confidence that she somehow played a trick on me. But I have no other explanation, except of course that memory sometimes is a weird bitch.
Old 28th May 2018, 06:29 AM   #15
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

I was looking for a small spare folding table that I usually stored in a certain spot. Couldn't find it -- I figured I had lent it to a family member that had asked about it. But they said they didn't have it.

When my nephew stayed with me a while, I asked him that he he happens to spot a small white folding table to let me know. He said "Is that it?" pointing over to the side of the room. Yes. Yes it was...

I had been expecting to find it in its folded configuration (much smaller). Turns out I had actually been using it as intended in the basement to store some boxes on.
Old 29th May 2018, 01:51 AM   #16
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by Delvo View Post

It's not just you...
Old 29th May 2018, 08:02 AM   #17
Pterodactyl
Graduate Poster

I once spent a couple minutes looking around the house for my phone while I was actually talking to my wife on the phone.
Pterodactyl is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th May 2018, 09:18 AM   #18
dlorde
Philosopher

When you're looking for something you've misplaced and it's urgent (the usual situation), it's easy to let the important events for which you need the item distract your attention from the lost item itself, while your subsystems continue to go through the motions of looking for it - so you may not get a conscious alert when it enters your field of view.

I'm told the empirically tested solution is to keep repeating the item name whilst looking, "Keys, keys, keys..."

But it occurs to me that once this repetition becomes habitual and automatic, your attention will once again be likely to be distracted from the lost item by that important meeting, train, plane, taxi, or whatever.

Solution 2: "A place for everything, everything in its place." - Ben Franklin
Old 29th May 2018, 09:22 AM   #19
dlorde
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Pterodactyl View Post
I once spent a couple minutes looking around the house for my phone while I was actually talking to my wife on the phone.
Yes - I quite often find myself casting around for my specs - while I'm wearing them...

While rushing to catch the start of a TV prog, I once tried to put my spare pair on - on top of the ones I was wearing. Duh.
Old 29th May 2018, 10:04 AM   #20
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dlorde View Post
Yes - I quite often find myself casting around for my specs - while I'm wearing them...

While rushing to catch the start of a TV prog, I once tried to put my spare pair on - on top of the ones I was wearing. Duh.
I've done that with contact lenses.
Old 29th May 2018, 10:58 AM   #21
ahhell
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by simonxlong View Post
I think there is definitely an element where believers are influenced by occurrences of the mind playing tricks. This is especially heightened in situations where people might be conditioned, even subconsciously, to look for a specific outcome, such as hunters in the woods seeing bigfoot.

That's why eyewitness testimony can be so sketchy. Not only is our memory subject to change over time, but we often don't even see things as they actually occurred, instead projecting our own mental images onto events.
Look no further than the Mandela effect. The flaws in human memory are pretty well understood and demonstrated, yet people are so convinced that their flawed memory is correct that many would rather believe they came from an alternate universe.

That explains the vast majority of belief in the paranormal, that and fear of death.
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th May 2018, 03:46 PM   #22
commandlinegamer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by kellyb View Post
I've had it happen before at least twice that I can't see the gallon jug of milk in the fridge, when I'm positive it should be there. Which it is. My brain just erases it out of my field of vision temporarily.

Once on this forum there was a thread about phenomena that require new phrases to describe them, and that "can't see what's right in front of you" thing was deemed "visual lacuity".
A news report piqued my interest recently about how the eyes and brain processed words on a page.

Study volunteers were asked to read from a screen while a camera recorded their eye movement, which feedback allowed the display to show only the word the person was focussed on at that moment. All the other words were greyed out, or turned into gibberish, if I remember correctly. But the volunteer always perceived a full page of words.
Old 29th May 2018, 05:49 PM   #23
TheGoldcountry
Philosopher

Originally Posted by DevilsAdvocate View Post
I think what happened was that when I realized he had to get something from the car, he planned to take his keys from his pocket and put them on the table so he wouldn’t forget. Then he got caught up in the conversation and put the keys on the table without realizing. He thought his keys were still in his pocket. But he remembered that he had planned to put them on the table and he thought he had not done that, therefore the table would be the one place the keys could NOT be. When he looked at the table, he didn’t see them because he already “knew” that they could not be there.

Many times I try to "multi-task" way too much and plan 5 things ahead of time, and then find myself doing certain actions, but I can't remember WHY I was doing those actions without backtracking through my mind.

Cooking does this. I cook with the TV on, while three other different things are happening in the kitchen. I get caught up in the TV program for just a few seconds, turn around, and realize that I have no idea what I'm doing.
Old 30th May 2018, 02:48 AM   #24
Greebo
Thinker

Originally Posted by DevilsAdvocate View Post
My dad once couldn’t find the car keys right in front of him. We were preparing to do something. He said he needed to get something from his car. We started discussing who was going to what at what time and how to coordinate things. While we were talking, he put his hand in his pocket, took out his keys, and put them on the table. After we had been talking for a minute he said he better run out to the car before he forgets.

He looked down at the keys and then looked up and put his hand in his pocket. Then he started searching his pockets and looking around the room and checking under the table. We watched, wondering what he was doing, and eventually asked. He said he was looking for his keys. I said they were in front of him. He looked down at the keys and said, “No. I can’t find my keys.” He started looking around again.

I asked him if his car key was on a different key ring from his other keys. He said “No.” and looked down at the keys again saying, “They were just right here.” He started looking under the chair. I thought he might be completely losing it. I walked over and pointed to the keys and said, “They are right there!” He looked for a moment with a puzzled look and said, “There they are!”

Then he looked at me and the others with a suspicious looked and asked if we were pulling a prank on him. He said the keys definitely were not there before. He was sure I had took the keys away and then put them back when he wasn’t looking as a joke. We eventually convinced him that the keys had been just sitting there the whole time.

Also known as "man looking"
Greebo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2018, 01:31 AM   #25
TX50
Graduate Poster

Every time I try to insert a USB connector into its slot, the first time it won't go in so I flip it over. It still won't ever go in so I flip it over again. This time it always goes in! That's gotta be proof of the paranormal right there. Is that million dollars still up for grabs?
TX50 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2018, 04:23 AM   #26
P.J. Denyer
Illuminator

At least 80% of the times I open a box of pills I open them at the end with the leaflet wrapped around them. That has to be statistically significant!
Old 27th June 2018, 04:45 AM   #27
Rincewind
Philosopher

Originally Posted by kellyb View Post

Ah yes!

But, we think that our refrigerator moves stuff around whenever the door's shut!!!!
Old 27th June 2018, 05:41 AM   #28
SusanB-M1
Incurable Optimist

Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
At least 80% of the times I open a box of pills I open them at the end with the leaflet wrapped around them. That has to be statistically significant!
I have the answer to your problem: When you get your pills, take out all the leafletse and put them in the recycle bin!
SusanB-M1 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2018, 05:53 AM   #29
The Sparrow
Graduate Poster

At first glance I thought you said looking for your wife while on the phone with your wife. Which would have been equally if not more funny.
The Sparrow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2018, 05:56 AM   #30
Drewbot
Philosopher

I think much supernatural stuff stems from Micro sleep.

People fall asleep, without realizing it, have a quick dream which is missing some form of reality, then when they wake up 30 seconds later, (Not realizing they were asleep)
something in reality strikes them as supernatural.

If we apply this to your example:
You thought you checked for the collar, but just dreamed it, woke up (without realizing you were ever asleep), the dog came up to you with the collar on, and you thought "ERMERGARD the collar was just off." But really you dreamed it was off.
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2018, 11:22 AM   #31
P.J. Denyer
Illuminator

Originally Posted by SusanB-M1 View Post
I have the answer to your problem: When you get your pills, take out all the leafletse and put them in the recycle bin!
Sounds awfully complicated.
Old 5th July 2018, 01:50 PM   #32
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

Paranormal Dog Collar is a crap name for a band.

Scouse saying - Go 'ed, is right, nice one, boss, well in, sound, belter, made up.

Usage: 'Go 'ed, lad, get us an ale in, nice one.'
Gilbert Syndrome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2018, 05:16 PM   #33
HarryHenderson
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by TheGoldcountry View Post
One of my mother's favorite sayings when I was a kid was "if that was a snake, it would have bit ya!"

"I looked, mom, I swear!"
Was one of my dad's favorites too. In my head I can still hear him saying it.

Done that.

Originally Posted by dlorde View Post

Done that and done that.

Originally Posted by Gilbert Syndrome View Post
Paranormal Dog Collar is a crap name for a band.
Call Her A Dog isn't any better.
HarryHenderson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2018, 05:27 PM   #34
TheGoldcountry
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Greebo View Post
Also known as "man looking"
Only because men are too afraid to point it out when women also do it.
Old 5th July 2018, 05:34 PM   #35
TheGoldcountry
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Drewbot View Post

People fall asleep, without realizing it, have a quick dream which is missing some form of reality, then when they wake up 30 seconds later, (Not realizing they were asleep)
something in reality strikes them as supernatural.
I "microsleep" quite often.

Luckily, my dreams are usually so fricking weird I know it's not reality.

Also, I look at my clock quite often (which isn't good for sleep) but is helpful when you realize that something was a 2-hour dream, because the clock is only 10 minutes ahead.

As far as sleep goes, if you need an alarm clock, put it where you can't see it, and you have to make an effort to turn it off.

ETA: If you have a spouse, this is unnecessary, because the spouse who DOESN'T have to get up at that time will most assuredly make sure you do.

Last edited by TheGoldcountry; 5th July 2018 at 05:37 PM.
TheGoldcountry is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th July 2018, 10:03 PM   #36
xterra
So far, so good...

Location: On the outskirts of Nowhere; the middle was too crowded
I once saw a rabbit:

Only after I walked close enough to touch it (which I didn't do) was "the nature of the beast" clear.
Old 17th July 2018, 09:50 AM   #37
wasapi
Philosopher

Another one yesterday. I did the laundry at the tiny laundromat down the street. I took the clothes out of the dryer and put them in a large plastic bag. After cleaning the lint holder, I dumped it in the bag of clean clothes. WTH?

Then, I realized that my eyes had sort of superimposed the bag with the trash reciprocal. A trick of the eye.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal