ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags bigfoot , jeffrey meldrum

Old 1st February 2018, 10:41 AM   #3001
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Yeah, they have bigfoot with feet beyond 20 inches long and 7 or 8 inches wide, yet heavily indenting the ground.

They never seem to give any thought to how awkward walking is when you sink into the ground.

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2018, 07:09 PM   #3002
HarryHenderson
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
Yeah, they have bigfoot with feet beyond 20 inches long and 7 or 8 inches wide, yet heavily indenting the ground.

They never seem to give any thought to how awkward walking is when you sink into the ground.
No they don't. Yet Bigfoot is always described as The Flash™. It's like Bigfoot Fact #14, 'One is only allowed to glimpse the beast briefly.' That's because he's so freakin fast.

"Officer, it's like he was there and then he wasn't. I saw him for 2 seconds. Never saw an animal disappear from the middle of a dry lake bed so fast. Oh and look at these deep footprints he left."

Which reminds me, there's a brand new BFR® sighting rewards program that just started called AnyWay™. Where any Bigfoot sighting over 3 seconds is automatically a Bronze. Have a sighting with three of your friends and you're a Silver. With them and three of their friends you're automatically a Diamond. 8 seconds or more and you're a Double Diamond Bucking Bronco. Which then allows you unrestricted access and use of all of Matt's homes and real estate for life. Includes all his businesses, family members and all his family members' homes and businesses. Also includes access to all their cars, clothes, computers, bank accounts, phones, tablets and tax returns. Say 40 years from now you show up at 1:37 AM on a rainy Monday to Uncle Meldrum Moneymaker's place in Baltimore, he has to let you in and give you whatever you want. Being a Double Diamond in AnyWay™ from the BFR® is the best! I'm a believ...wait, what were we talking about?
HarryHenderson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2018, 08:56 AM   #3003
The Shrike
Illuminator

Spent some time today scrolling through the archives of this thread and was shocked to see that The Falcon Project dates back to 2012!

Time flies, but bigfoot-seeking blimps don't.
The Shrike is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2018, 09:36 AM   #3004
Cervelo
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by The Shrike View Post
Spent some time today scrolling through the archives of this thread and was shocked to see that The Falcon Project dates back to 2012!

Time flies, but bigfoot-seeking blimps don't.
LOL....apparently Dr. Meldumb did as much research on blimps as he did on what a foot looks like that spent a lifetime outdoors.
Cervelo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2018, 11:42 AM   #3005
Drewbot
Philosopher

I had a bad feeling that it was trumped up, when they said a blimp, and I knew that fixed wing aircraft were perfectly capable of surveying large land mammals all over north america.

It was just one more BIGFOOT-GIMMICK to add to the list.

Bigfoot SUV
Bigfoot Van- Like Roger's
Parabolic mics
FLIR cameras

Do you think anyone actually thinks those gimmicks are going to help find bigfoot?
No, they are to get the rubes all excited about the snipe hunt.
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th February 2018, 12:29 PM   #3006
Wolrab
Illuminator

One would think there would be plenty of blimps available for surveillance from the GAYRODEO fleet.
"Such reports are usually based on the sighting of something the sighters cannot explain and that they (or someone else on their behalf) explain as representing an interstellar spaceship-often by saying "But what else can it be?" as though thier own ignorance is a decisive factor." Isaac Asimov
Wolrab is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2018, 01:00 PM   #3007
DennyT
Illuminator

Meldrum has an indiegogo effort which has raised enough to send three samples to Todd Disotell from Derek Randles’ “nest” site.
DennyT is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2018, 01:07 PM   #3008
DennyT
Illuminator

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/sasquatch-nests-edna-study-science#/

Last edited by DennyT; 6th July 2018 at 01:22 PM.
DennyT is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2018, 01:19 PM   #3009
DennyT
Illuminator

As I understand it, Randles claims that some ?timber cruiser pointed him to these nest like things about three years ago in the classic-for-Bigfoot-research “very isolated” area. They are somewhat like gorilla nests in Africa, given the different flora. They were constructed by using foliage broken from surrounding plants, bushes and trees up to 8 feet high. Some components were stuck in the ground and or plaited together. This has left a surrounding zone stripped of foliage. In all they have found 21 of these nests on three ridges.
At some point (probably after he and his pals had been messing around there for a while they got Meldrum in there and he took 3 “sterile” ?”core samples” to send to Disotell for eDNA. He also found some hair which he gave to ?some “expert”, who said they were “unknown”. So the eDNA is pending and of course Randles is touting their “scientific” investigation.
According to Randles these beds were green when he first saw them. Now they are just dry sticks, and the surrounding zones of destruction are growing back. No other “evidence” has been found there and there is no evidence that whatever made the nests has returned. I assume he has put up cameras but not certain. Apparently they have talked with some wildlife people about these but I don’t know who.
Randles and his main helper guy are of course convinced this was a herd of Bigfoots.
So, I don’t think we need wildlife experts to know that if the descriptions are true this was not done by any known wild animals...there seems to be a hoax here. And if so it was a huge one! (Not accusing anyone; Randles is highly thought of. )

Last edited by DennyT; 6th July 2018 at 01:27 PM.
Old 6th July 2018, 05:26 PM   #3010
Pterodactyl
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by DennyT View Post
As I understand it, Randles claims that some ?timber cruiser pointed him to these nest like things about three years ago in the classic-for-Bigfoot-research “very isolated” area. They are somewhat like gorilla nests in Africa, given the different flora. They were constructed by using foliage broken from surrounding plants, bushes and trees up to 8 feet high. Some components were stuck in the ground and or plaited together. This has left a surrounding zone stripped of foliage. In all they have found 21 of these nests on three ridges.
At some point (probably after he and his pals had been messing around there for a while they got Meldrum in there and he took 3 “sterile” ?”core samples” to send to Disotell for eDNA. He also found some hair which he gave to ?some “expert”, who said they were “unknown”. So the eDNA is pending and of course Randles is touting their “scientific” investigation.
According to Randles these beds were green when he first saw them. Now they are just dry sticks, and the surrounding zones of destruction are growing back. No other “evidence” has been found there and there is no evidence that whatever made the nests has returned. I assume he has put up cameras but not certain. Apparently they have talked with some wildlife people about these but I don’t know who.
Randles and his main helper guy are of course convinced this was a herd of Bigfoots.
So, I don’t think we need wildlife experts to know that if the descriptions are true this was not done by any known wild animals...there seems to be a hoax here. And if so it was a huge one! (Not accusing anyone; Randles is highly thought of. )
It's funny, I was thinking about the Olympic "nests" today when I ran across this post on a turkey hunting mb I read sometimes.

Quote:
once found a place in a secluded area in Green Swamp that I was convinced was where a Bigfoot lived. Something had beat down a bunch of thick weeds, maybe a 50' circle. In the middle it had gathered up a bunch of weeds and cat-tails and and piled them on broke limbs that were about baseball diameter and made a perfect bed about 2' high, 4' wide and about 8' long. Not that I've seen many, but I thought that was about the right size for a medium sized Bigfoot. It stunk too! I told my Dad about it and he asked me if I'd been smoking that whacky weed :lol: I took him and showed it to him and he said he didn't know what the heck it was but it was time to go :LMAO: To this day I don't know what made it.
http://gobblernation.com/phpBB3/view...176785#p176785
Pterodactyl is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2018, 09:57 PM   #3011
DennyT
Illuminator

Randles makes much of a nearby “salmon stream” and huckleberry bushes as food sources.
Of course, the bleevers call virtually every non-urban place in the US “great habitat” without ever having the goods i.e. without ever showing actual evidence that some “Bigfoot” ever lived there.
Old 7th July 2018, 11:14 AM   #3012
DennyT
Illuminator

The indiegogo funding is lame. I guess Meldrum hopes that the rubes will forget how much money they have poured into his pockets.
Old 8th July 2018, 05:50 AM   #3013
The Shrike
Illuminator

herd of Bigfoots.
another great name for a band
The Shrike is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th July 2018, 11:38 AM   #3014
DennyT
Illuminator

Whoever the hoaxer is, he read up on the African nests. However, there are several obvious aspects of the scenario/scene that raise red flags. Just to mention two there seems to have been no evidence of two obligatory animal activities: eating and pooping (another great name for a band). (As far as I know no Bigfoot has ever been known to take a krap).

Last edited by DennyT; 8th July 2018 at 11:46 AM.
Old 8th July 2018, 12:45 PM   #3015
DennyT
Illuminator

See “associated faeces” (AGBN) at https://books.google.com/books?id=3w...page&q&f=false
Old 9th July 2018, 02:06 AM   #3016
Cosmic Yak
Master Poster

Location: Where there's never a road broader than the back of your hand.
See “associated faeces” (AGBN) at https://books.google.com/books?id=3w...page&q&f=false
That's a much better name for a band.
Old 9th July 2018, 05:23 PM   #3017
HarryHenderson
Graduate Poster

Herd of Bigfoots with very special guests Hoaxer and Skookum.

The Hairy Man Tour of Southern and Partly Northern Idaho Tour and Hawaii Tour Tour™

"THIS ONE'S GONNA GIVE YOU A HEAD RUSH!!!"

7/10/18 Poctello, ID: The Don & Cindy Meldrum Center @ The Building Center.
7/11/18 Boise, ID: The Don & Debbie Meldrum Arena @ Springdale Park
7/12/18 Twin Falls, ID: The Don & Jane Meldrum Luncheon Club
7/13/18 Coeur d'Alene, ID: The Don & Pat Meldrum Theater in the Discount Tire™ Shopping Centre.
7/15/18 Lahiana, HI: The Don & Juanita Meldrum Family Reunion (Private)

Tickets prices vary $1.00 - $10.00 + $15.02 in handling fees. In Hawaii contact Roseanne Barr. Not for tickets, just contact her.

© Herbfoot LLC
HarryHenderson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th July 2018, 08:01 AM   #3018
DennyT
Illuminator

Apparently gorillas build a new nest every night. While that might work in a jungly environment where plant growth is exuberant and the gorillas eat the plants as well as sleep on them, I don’t see that being an energy efficient solution for the imaginary Bigfoots of North America.
If there are 21 of these structures on three ridges, that might be 21 Bigfoot-nights at a minimum. There should be copious biological evidence. Half eaten fish. Piles of poop. Thousands of hairs, hundreds of these hairs containing DNA.

Last edited by DennyT; 10th July 2018 at 08:15 AM.
Old 10th July 2018, 01:24 PM   #3019
The Shrike
Illuminator

As bigfootses are nocturnal, their nests must be in use during daylight hours.

As bigfootses occur so widely across the Northern Hemisphere, many face the challenge of a lack of daily nesting material for months at a time.

Bigfootses fear no predators, so do they build nests?
Old 11th July 2018, 12:54 AM   #3020
rockinkt
Graduate Poster

As bigfootses are nocturnal, their nests must be in use during daylight hours.

As bigfootses occur so widely across the Northern Hemisphere, many face the challenge of a lack of daily nesting material for months at a time.

Bigfootses fear no predators, so do they build nests?
Why do they build nests?
Because some fool at the credit bureau mixed up the term "not credible" in regards to Bigfoot and thought that meant they had bad credit. Bad credit means no credit card and no credit card means they can't book hotel rooms.
(Explanation brought to you courtesy of Bigfoot Logic© )

"I've met Bob Dylan's bodyguards and if Steve Earle thinks he can stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table, he's sadly mistaken." Townes Van Zandt

Last edited by rockinkt; 11th July 2018 at 12:55 AM. Reason: formatting
rockinkt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2018, 01:58 AM   #3021
Cosmic Yak
Master Poster

Location: Where there's never a road broader than the back of your hand.
Apparently gorillas build a new nest every night. While that might work in a jungly environment where plant growth is exuberant and the gorillas eat the plants as well as sleep on them, I don’t see that being an energy efficient solution for the imaginary Bigfoots of North America.
If there are 21 of these structures on three ridges, that might be 21 Bigfoot-nights at a minimum. There should be copious biological evidence. Half eaten fish. Piles of poop. Thousands of hairs, hundreds of these hairs containing DNA.
As I recall, we have been told by believers that, firstly, Bigfoots assiduously clean up every trace of themselves every morning, and, secondly in case they missed anything, there are secret teams of secret government people secretly scouring the woods and hiding any traces left behind.
My question about whether there was a second layer of super-secret government agents busily cleaning up after the first teams, sadly went unanswered.
Old 11th July 2018, 05:03 AM   #3022
Cayvmann2
New Blood

Originally Posted by Cosmic Yak View Post
As I recall, we have been told by believers that, firstly, Bigfoots assiduously clean up every trace of themselves every morning, and, secondly in case they missed anything, there are secret teams of secret government people secretly scouring the woods and hiding any traces left behind.
My question about whether there was a second layer of super-secret government agents busily cleaning up after the first teams, sadly went unanswered.
Even more insidiously the 'first responder' big foot enthusiasts are actually government moles that do clean up and contaminate the sites, pretending incompetence, so that our alien Bigfoot brothers go undetected.
Cayvmann2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2018, 11:31 AM   #3023
HarryHenderson
Graduate Poster

I know plenty of BLAARGers from all over read this forum so I'm confident this question could reach its intended targets. Some are even members here. Those targets' response (or lack thereof) will be the next matter.
Will Don Meldrum, Matt Moneymaker, NAWAC, Melissa™, Bill Green, Salt Fork State Park, Bobo "Fay" Fey, Loren Coleman and a whole host of other Bigfoot people, outlets and organizations at the "forefront" of Bigfoot research and discovery PLEASE SEND US the latest bestest PICTURE of Bigfoot that they have or that they consider the latest most legit pic and let US see exactly what all our heretical thinking here in Reasonland™ has been missing in the now weary Bigfoot story?

All those people swear Bigfoot lives so now let's watch as Bigfoot is so "real and true" that we'll receive NOT A SINGLE WORTHY PICTURE (if any pictures at all) from any of those places or people because we're ____print adjective here____. Or something.
Old 12th July 2018, 04:54 AM   #3024
Drewbot
Philosopher

Originally Posted by HarryHenderson View Post
I know plenty of BLAARGers from all over read this forum so I'm confident this question could reach its intended targets. Some are even members here. Those targets' response (or lack thereof) will be the next matter.
Will Don Meldrum, Matt Moneymaker, NAWAC, Melissa™, Bill Green, Salt Fork State Park, Bobo "Fay" Fey, Loren Coleman and a whole host of other Bigfoot people, outlets and organizations at the "forefront" of Bigfoot research and discovery PLEASE SEND US the latest bestest PICTURE of Bigfoot that they have or that they consider the latest most legit pic and let US see exactly what all our heretical thinking here in Reasonland™ has been missing in the now weary Bigfoot story?

All those people swear Bigfoot lives so now let's watch as Bigfoot is so "real and true" that we'll receive NOT A SINGLE WORTHY PICTURE (if any pictures at all) from any of those places or people because we're ____print adjective here____. Or something.
Found one.
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2018, 12:05 PM   #3025
DennyT
Illuminator

The first question in any forensic type (?whodunnit) investigation of elaborate evidence as in this case should always be “what person did this?” Because obviously we know that humans exist and do all sorts of things for a variety of reasons. Bigfooters obviously don’t do this. As Meldrum says, “every bump in the night, every call in the forest” is taken as evidence by “over-enthusiastic” researchers.
That was not done in this case and three years later it is much harder to solve. There are at present two persons of interest that we know of: Randles and whoever reported this stuff to Randles. By all odds one of these two knows who did it.

Last edited by DennyT; 12th July 2018 at 12:32 PM.
Old 12th July 2018, 12:42 PM   #3026
DennyT
Illuminator

If Randles is an honest man and a conscientious investigator he will obtain DNA samples from himself, Meldrum, the timber guy and everyone who is known or suspected of visiting the site. He will also make sure that the found hairs are examined by an actual recognized credentialed known expert for cut ends and other signs of human origin, and for DNA to be matched with that of the afore-mentioned persons of interest. He will also look seriously into the possibility of clues that could be derived from interviewing the timber guy. For all we know he’s in a trailer down by the river, laughing his a$$ off.

Pro tip: He won’t do these things and we will be left to draw whatever conclusions are reasonable from his behavior.
Old 12th July 2018, 12:55 PM   #3027
DennyT
Illuminator

Regarding Dr. Jeff Meldrum’s involvement in the chain of custody of the eDNA samples: I think it is fair to add that particularly in light of Meldrum’s adventures with Todd Standing and Standing’s images I think it is fair to opine that either he has a massive confirmation bias about Bigfoot evidence...or worse...
Does the name “Dr. Melba Ketchum” ring a bell? http://americanloons.blogspot.com/2017/05/1831-melba-ketchum.html?m=1
Not sayin’...
Just askin’...

Last edited by DennyT; 12th July 2018 at 01:18 PM.
Old 12th July 2018, 03:50 PM   #3028
Tontar
Thinker

Meldrum's involvement is not limited to Todd Standing's for profit ventures.

Meldrum was a principle in the Falcon Project, which was shown by several people on several fronts to be a total scam from the very start to the point where it basically fizzled out due to lack of donors. What happened to the money that was donated prior to it going belly up? It certainly didn't get distributed to the people who quit their current lives and relocated to Northern Oregon to serve as the first wave of investigators for the Falcon Project, only to find they had been left high and dry with no reimbursement of their expenses, and no resources to begin their trek. They were stood up by the Falcon Project leaders, which includes Meldrum, and considering that documents show that the Idaho university where Meldrum is employed, and Meldrum himself were first come, first serve to the money train, it could easily be argued that it was Meldrum and not William A. Barnes who was the guy who screwed those volunteers.

Meldrum is in bigfooting for two reason; his own childhood obsession with bigfoot and crypto monsters, and the personal benefits that his involvement can bring. These benefits are notoriety, fame, and financial gain, all of which are intertwined and build upon one another. The more famous he gets, the more valuable he is, and the more he can charge for speaking and appearance fees. He charges speaker fees for his conference appearances. He sells product and swag at these conferences. He uses university facilities and likely university materials to produce products, such as footprint casts, to sell at conventions.

Meldrum pitches himself as the only "anthropologist" supportive of bigfoot, and thus is a commodity that is marketable to any television production which might want or need a real "scientist" to lend credibility to a sensationalist program. As television programs concerning bigfoot have evolved away from realism, and towards pseudo-reality and "scripted reality" shows such as Finding Bigfoot and Mountain Monsters, Meldrum's credentials and demand has withered. TV jobs were drying up for him. When Survivorman went with Standing as the authority on bigfoot, Meldrum leveraged himself into the mix, teaming up with Standing, making his deal with the devil in order to get himself one more TV gig, another paycheck, and another feather in his cap to add to his portfolio. Meldrum knew full well what Standing was all about, and he strategically chose to work with him.

His book has already sold to whatever bigfooters are going to buy it. He's pretty much saturated the market with his products and swag. Conventions are finding more energetic and more dynamic speakers that are a lot more affordable than Meldrum. To stay relevant at all, Meldrum is faced with reducing his speaker fees in order to make it practical for conventions to hire him, dropping cost on his book in order to increase sales or better yet come out with a sequel. Start up additional funding campaigns to get whatever monies he can bilk gullible people out of. Pitch new script ideas to producers who might be interested in paying him again.

Meldrum might be a nice guy and all that, but he is about as big a scam artist as any other out there. While he may not be actively fabricating evidence like some of the field guys are doing, he is actively scheming to keep the fantasy alive and flourishing, because the more it flourishes, the more money he stands to make from it. Meldrum doesn't really originate these projects, like the Falcon and the Olympic, but he knows when the best time is to jump in as a partner, and when to silently sneak out the back door when the house starts to burn down. Let's not forget he managed to get his share of face time on TV over the Smegma "steak". There he was, just like Zelig, showing up as the prank started to get heated, and then shazam, he was gone and nowhere to be seen as the Sykes study came on the scene to debunk it as bear and Smegma as a lying hoaxer.
Tontar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2018, 04:00 PM   #3029
Tontar
Thinker

Originally Posted by Squatchy McSquatch View Post
Meldumb also endorses hand and foot casts from serial hoaxer Paul Freeman
Of course he does. Freeman personally escorted Meldrum to see his very first set of "real" bigfoot tracks. "Oh, there you are, guess what, I found a fresh set of tracks just today, want to go see them? Authentic and everything! Step right this way!"

Because Freeman, like Gepetto, breathed life into Meldrum and turned him into a real live "knower", he is forever indebted to Freeman. He can allow a couple of hoaxes to be attributed to Freeman, but he will maintain to his death that Freeman produced real evidence too, one piece of which was the trackway that he introduced Meldrum to.
Tontar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2018, 04:22 PM   #3030
Tontar
Thinker

DeAtley in contrast might still have a finite chance of admitting something but he is not an eyewitness and I really don’t think Patterson ever admitted it to anyone. Not even his wife.
Patricia, Roger's wife, knows full well it was a suit and a hoax. They lied to the kids so that they would not accidentally and innocently expose the hoax. They were smarter than the balloon boy crew, where the kid gave the prank away to the news crews. The bigfoot lie went on for years, and after Roger died, Patricia never found the right time to tell the kids it was all a big fake, and as the years went by the subject was ignored as best as possible, so she never told the kids the truth. She had lied for so long, there never was a point where she could go back on that and justify not telling them years earlier. Kind of like how Gimlin is in so deep, he can't back out now.
Old 12th July 2018, 09:47 PM   #3031
Tontar
Thinker

He's welcome any time.

I've always chuckled at the thought of my anonymous online persona meaning anything. An average 10-year old could probably have tracked me down to figure it out at any point since the late 1990s. I assumed regulars here who might care about such things knew too. Despite that - and despite even being known to leadership at the BFF where I was so critical of them for years - no one ever outed me. It's a line you don't cross unless you a) have some deficits or b) are simply a lousy human being.

Meh, it was a good run I suppose. I'm disappointed in two things, however. First, it's a shame that the moderation at Capeia has so far failed to act in the face of the most basic rule of online discussions: breach of confidentiality. The second reflects poorly on our hero Don Jeffrey, who gleefully used that information in his responses to me when he should have rebuked the poster for sharing it.
Well, hopefully you won't be getting death threats like some people have once their identities were ferreted out!
Old 12th July 2018, 10:03 PM   #3032
Tontar
Thinker

Originally Posted by HarryHenderson View Post
As for Don Meldrum "gleefully" breaching THE GOLDEN RULE, everyone needs to understand he's a ******* con man. He's not some "mistaken" scientist with a Bigfoot passion that comes from his heart. He's not somebody planning on the $10+ million dollars he'd have if he dragged in a real beast. And he's not somebody looking for more Bigfoot "knowledge". One of the perils he faces within the BigCon™ is showing himself to be "investigating" too much. At some point even his most ardent supporter wants to see some real meat. The fact is the amount of "investigation" he's supposedly done without coming up with even one BCH would surely convince anyone "normal" that there's no beast. I mean, he can't get a picture, a signature, a hair, dirty panties, nothing from Bigfoot to really convince the masses BIGFOOT LIVES? Of course not and everyone including him knows it.
This is so true. It's kind of weird too, because seeing Meldrum on TV programs, reading what he writes, and even meeting him in person, he seems outwardly like a nice guy. And yet everything said above is true, as well as much more. He's a scam artist, and he's pretty good at scratching around really close to the line and pulling back from it when necessary to keep from making permanent blunders in the eyes of his followers. He does get close enough to the line that he gets his reputation tainted for some followers, but as soon as he dos something favorable to their faith, they forgive him.

So he never does anything that totally burns his bridges with believers, because they know they need him as much as he needs them. It's a codependent or symbiotic relationship. He feeds them pseudoscience to strengthen their faith, and they pay him a fee for it.

It's nicer when the really nasty conmen look ugly, smell bad, and act like jerks all the time, and a bit more troubling when they are really good at playing like the nice guy. However, once you've figured out that Meldrum is a con, it's hard to fall for the nice guy routine again.
Old 13th July 2018, 11:13 AM   #3033
DennyT
Illuminator

My understanding is that Meldrum collected the samples, and kept them in his possession for as long as it took to raise $3000 at indiegogo. Is that odd? I think it is odd. Is Meldrum less likely than Smeja and/or Ketchum to engage in some hanky lanky? They got caught, but he certainly thinks he’s smarter than they are and less likely to be suspected of foul play.
I think he realizes that it’s tough to fake this stuff, so I doubt he would try,
But what happens if some non human great ape sequences show up? It doesn’t take much to set the rubes all-atwitter. There are still some believe Melba. Btw she recently posted at FB that the “foots” are watching her.

Last edited by DennyT; 13th July 2018 at 11:19 AM.
Old 13th July 2018, 01:02 PM   #3034
DennyT
Illuminator

Some time ago in these pages we were told that Meldrum was being awarded the Dinsdale (Tim Dinsdale, Nessie photographer and whack author) Award. Here is the statement of the awarding group. Meldrum has previously used their journal to publish his dreck. They were so impressed with the importance of his talk on “competitive exclusion” that they called it “completive” exclusion and invited him to publish it in their journal.
Here is what they said (Meldrum must be proud of it as it is posted in the From the Editor section of the RHI.

On June 20, the 2016 Dinsdale Award was presented to Jeff Meldrum at the Meeting of the Society for Scientific Exploration, held in Boulder, Colorado. The Society has presented the Dinsdale Award every two years since 1992, for significant contributions to the expansion of human understanding through the study of unexplained phenomena. Winners have led their fields in uncovering noteworthy anomalies. The Awards Committee has “recognized Dr. Meldrum’s significant contribution to our understanding of the possible presence of an as-yet unrecognized primate in our midst. In the course of more than two decades, while recognizing the risk to his professional reputation, he has created a corpus of credible work by conscientiously applying his knowledge of primate evolutionary anatomy and behavior to this most difficult and controversial subject.”
Dr. Meldrum made a presentation before the society in which he acknowledged the growing regard for the serious consideration of the prospect of relict hominoids. He explored the influence of the completive exclusion principle on the prevailing paradigm in anthropology of the Single Species Hypothesis, which has barred any objective consideration of a proposal for relict hominoids existing alongside Homo sapiens in modern times. However, the acknowledgement of a bushy hominin tree, comprising multiple contemporaneous species, combined with the discovery of ever more recent persistence of some hominin lineages, has forced a shift in paradigm and created a context by which to allow for the possible existence of such species, especially in light of the growing body of data, e.g. footprint evidence, suggesting their presence. Meldrum was invited to submit a manuscript version of his presentation to the Journal of Scientific Exploration, where it was subsequently published.

Last edited by DennyT; 13th July 2018 at 01:08 PM.
Old 13th July 2018, 01:34 PM   #3035
DennyT
Illuminator

This I don’t get:
“...to allow for the possible existence of such species, especially in light of the growing body of data, e.g. footprint evidence, suggesting their presence.”
As far as I know Meldrum can’t be bothered with new track sites. He lets Little Cliffie do it. And Meldrum seems to fully endorse as real only a very few, very old tracks.
Am I missing something?

Last edited by DennyT; 13th July 2018 at 01:37 PM.
Old 14th July 2018, 10:37 AM   #3036
DennyT
Illuminator

The word on the street is that Meldrum is going to further add to “Scientific Advancement” by coming out with a new edition of his now over ten year old Legend Meets Science. A perfect example of “all hat, no cows.” Perhaps this time there will be some actual science but since any good science debunks Bigfoot I doubt there will be any. Certainly I don’t know of any real scientific research he has done in the intervening years. And of course he will not revisit any of the mistakes, misstatements, exaggerations, glaring omissions and other flaws in the first edition. I hear that it will have a more international flavor. Ah yes, the kind of stuff he publishes in the RHI about wild men and almasties and Zenas and merens. And of course the work of Canadian Todd Standing would fit right in.
Undoubtedly he will toss in some other shiny objects like his slanted recaps of the works of others on the bushiness of evolution and competitive exclusion. Yawn.
Basically it’s something for him to sell and autograph at conventions, for the rubes to cherish and show their wives: “look, honey, Bigfoot really does exist; it’s in this book...somewhere...well no I haven’t read it, but look, it’s autographed...”

Last edited by DennyT; 14th July 2018 at 10:56 AM.
Old 14th July 2018, 06:55 PM   #3037
DennyT
Illuminator

Going through the RHI I found something new(to me) in the News section. Meldrum co authored a paper in a book:
“The track record of relict hominoids received mention in a recent and seminal review paper summarizing the hominin fossil footprint record. Major Events in Hominin Evolution, is chapter 15 of The Trace-Fossil Record of Major Evolutionary Events, edited by Mangano and Buatois. The paper was coauthored by Martin Lockley (University of Colorado), Jeff Meldrum (Idaho State University) and Jeong Yul Kim (Korea National University). It presents a comprehensive survey of fossil hominin track sites around the world, and even to the moon, spanning the last 3.6 million years, and discusses the distinctions of two polar morphologies, diagnosed as ichnotaxa, Praehominipes and Hominipes. The closing paragraphs raise the matter of trace evidence attributed to relict hominoids, including the ichnotaxon Anthropoidipes ameriborealis MELDRUM 2007. “While most anthropologists ignore or refute the existence of relict hominoids without detailed analysis of the evidence at hand, there is nevertheless an extensive literature on the subject...by bona fide scientists who have taken the evidence seriously.” “.
——
That last is kind of humorous.
Anyway for some reason I can’t get the link to the pdf of the paper to download.

Last edited by DennyT; 14th July 2018 at 07:15 PM.
Old 17th July 2018, 05:57 AM   #3038
Drewbot
Philosopher

This guy uses Bigfoot to teach his students about regression analysis.

Check out the criteria for the most successful papers he received, in predicting Bigfoot sightings:

Quote:
*Number of people that identified as Caucasian
*Number of mobile homes
*Number of individuals from the age of 18 to 29
Nailed it! You'll find the paper predicted the highest sighting potential in Ohio, right around Salt Fork State Park.

https://thefisheriesblog.com/2016/04...es-statistics/

Last edited by Drewbot; 17th July 2018 at 05:59 AM.
Old 17th July 2018, 10:29 PM   #3039
AlaskaBushPilot
Illuminator

That's hilarious. I have just a wee background in the area, I taught regression analysis among other things in both undergraduate and grad school.

So I looked at that and he has an R-Squared of something over 60%, he doesn't report it exactly but it means something more than 60% of the variation in bigfoot sightings by county can be "explained" by these proxies.

It is obviously a white sub-culture from our experience. Mobile homes are a proxy for a basket of things like IQ and education. Income.

Then you have youth. All self-explanatory. I know Parcher would want to throw a proxy for religion in there like number of snake-handling fundy churches in a county.
AlaskaBushPilot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2018, 06:24 AM   #3040
dmaker
Graduate Poster

Add in voted for Trump proxy.
dmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal