ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags big cats , cougars , cryptozoology

Old 14th June 2011, 06:13 AM   #121
Gawdzilla Sama
121.92-meter mutant fire-breathing lizard-thingy

Originally Posted by Drewbot View Post
Actually it was ab AMC Eagle, driven by a Bigfoot, wrong extinct bird.
Oh, brother! The dodo is really going to hit the fan now.
Buying conspiracy books is a voluntary tax on stupid.
Gawdzilla Sama is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2011, 10:04 AM   #122
Drewbot
Philosopher

http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7...2347--,00.html

Quote:
"The USFWS has determined the eastern cougar to be extinct, and this has no bearing on cougars in Michigan," said DNRE Wildlife Chief Russ Mason. "The cougars present in Michigan are dispersing from the Dakotas, where the nearest established population exists."
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2011, 02:34 PM   #123
The Shrike
Illuminator

Parcher's point stands: where cougars live around people, cougars wind up dead. They also poop and leave footprints.

Meantime, that lady that does the news in CT is totally into me . . .
The Shrike is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2011, 09:04 PM   #124
dropzone
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Dinwar View Post
Taxonomy is full of redundancy.
It took forever, but my wife has FINALLY discovered message boards where she can argue the genus of a particular fish based on its jaw bones. It gave her life meaning.

Then there are the ones for fans of very early invertebrates. She's in Seventh Heaven. Comparatively (heh), mammals are a cinch. She and Parcher the Dogmatic would look forward to each others' posts.
dropzone is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2011, 06:19 AM   #125
Drewbot
Philosopher

http://www.unionleader.com/article/2...0301/110619897

This guy makes no attempt to support the idea that there are no cougars in the northeast.
In fact, he makes it sound like there is a conspiracy amongst wildlife officials.

Quote:
Area residents, however, were saying what many people with similar experiences in other states — New Hampshire included — have been saying: state and federal wildlife officials are in denial.
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd June 2011, 09:38 AM   #126
Drewbot
Philosopher

This might explain Bigfoot sightings
Quote:
It's hard to imagine how seeing a deer can be confused with seeing a top level predatory cat, and yet it happens.

"When people see something it's a flash response," said Racey. "You assume you see a cougar, you want to see a cougar. They are astonishing creatures. They're elusive, romantic symbols of wilderness and it's troubling for many to recognize the northeast is absent of this top level predator."
http://www.wvmetronews.com/outdoors....&storyid=46036
Old 22nd June 2011, 09:49 AM   #127
fuelair
Suspended

Originally Posted by AlaskaBushPilot View Post
Oh how interesting! I remember reading as a boy that it was extinct. Now my curiosity is aroused.
Interesting - not sure why that would have been written in any functional publication - and they have been featured/in a number of shows on poisonous animals!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd June 2011, 09:51 AM   #128
fuelair
Suspended

And: http://library.thinkquest.org/J002754/jc2.html

Wiki as well

Sorry for the 2 minute delay on data - computer running slow.
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd June 2011, 09:54 AM   #129
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Greenwich Confirms Mountain Lion Was In Town; New Sighting Reported In Tolland

Quote:
Police said Monday that animal scat recovered in Greenwich did come from a mountain lion, confirming a sighting of the big cat.

Tests are continuing to determine whether the scat found in Greenwich can be genetically linked to the mountain lion struck by a car and killed along the Wilbur Cross Parkway in Milford, said Greenwich police Lt. Kraig Gray.

Also Monday, officials in Tolland said they notified the state Department of Environmental Protection and state police after the reported sighting of a mountain lion there. It's the first reported sighting east of the Connecticut River. Town officials said on Friday the suspected mountain lion was spotted near Sand Hill Road...

(Fire Chief John) Littell said he talked to one resident who swears he had seen a mountain lion in town near Bucks Crossing in March. He didn't call it in because he was afraid no one would believe him, Littell said.

A second person, a motorist, recently reported seeing a mountain get hit by a car on the highway in town, but someone snatched up the carcass — apparently to have it mounted — before authorities could get there.
It will be several weeks before we get the details on the DNA which could confirm that the found scat came from the roadkilled cougar, and also the geographic origin of the cougar(s). I suspect that there is only one.

Somewhat ironically, this whole situation has the potential to work against the Eastern Cougar believers. When a cougar really does show up in the East it is confirmed in a variety of linked ways: valid eyewitnesses, valid photo, valid tracks, valid scat and a valid carcass. Again, if native wild cougars really did inhabit the East, all of this would be happening all the time.
Old 22nd June 2011, 09:57 AM   #130
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by fuelair View Post
...poisonous animals!!
Venomous.
Old 22nd June 2011, 05:40 PM   #131
dropzone
Master Poster

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
URL="http://www.courant.com/community/milford/hc-greenwich-mountain-lion-0621-20110620,0,3966491.story"]Greenwich Confirms Mountain Lion Was In Town; New Sighting Reported In Tolland[/url]
Which means we are weeks away from placing the final nail in the coffin of the Eastern Cougar, while I, apparently along with Culver, Reeder, and even freakin' Audubon, find the idea of even a subspecies of an animal that roams long distances and is not genetically isolated from others of its species pretty silly. There may be slight genetic differences, but until reproductive differences arise I believe even the idea of a subspecies is an artificial construct.
dropzone is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th June 2011, 03:55 PM   #132
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Cougar or house cat: What is it?

Quote:
A Guernsey County resident found this image captured by a camera mounted along a dirt path in the woods near his home. He thinks it is a young cougar. But a Division of Wildlife biologist says it is a large domestic cat.

Ahhh... another Eastern Cougar.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg -what-is-itjpg-dc3eec937a55f335.jpg (14.3 KB, 175 views)
Old 26th June 2011, 09:55 PM   #133
Drewbot
Philosopher

of course the wildlife official is going to say housecat, he cant let on that there really is a vible population of E Cougars, if he did, then he would have to admit they released some in the wild.
Old 26th June 2011, 09:56 PM   #134
River
Illuminator

Thats clearly evidence of bigfoot. Everyone knows bigfoot keeps cougars as pets.
River is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2011, 05:39 PM   #135
atpeace

"I have a contact at the state Division of Wildlife that I send my bobcat pictures to. She showed it to one of the biologists, who said it was a house cat. I have never seen a housecat with that type of tail nor that large of a body" Cougar or House Cat? Donna J. Miller Plain Dealer Reporter

Yeah, just my orange cat and all the other Exotic Shorthair (mixes) that can match this cat exactly from the back- color, tail and housecats vary widely in size.

Last edited by atpeace; 27th June 2011 at 05:43 PM.
atpeace is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2011, 06:54 PM   #136
pchams
Muse

I saw a cougar last year in central Ontario near my cottage. I'm glad I had my daughter with me as no one would have believed it. We surprised it about 3 meters away so there was no doubt.
The Ontario MNR consider these escaped exotic pets, but there have been an increased number of sightings.
From what I have read though, the genetics are identical to the western cats.
Puma Concolor.

pchams is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2011, 07:17 PM   #137
autumn1971
Master Poster

Read the report, River...

The Florida Cougar ("Florida Panther") is not the Eastern Cougar.
Thanks, as a Floridian, I was wondering if Florida didn't count as part of the East Coast anymore.

Oh, and we also have tons of black bears and coyotes down here.
No platypusses have been reported.
'A knave; a rascal; an eater of broken meats; a base, proud, shallow, beggardly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave; a lily-livered, action-taking knave, a whoreson, glass-gazing, superservicable, finical rogue;... the son and heir of a mongral bitch: one whom I will beat into clamorous whining, if thou deniest the least syllable of thy addition."'
-The Bard
autumn1971 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2011, 07:46 PM   #138
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by pchams View Post
I saw a cougar last year in central Ontario near my cottage. I'm glad I had my daughter with me as no one would have believed it. We surprised it about 3 meters away so there was no doubt.
The Ontario MNR consider these escaped exotic pets, but there have been an increased number of sightings.
From what I have read though, the genetics are identical to the western cats.
Puma Concolor.
The closest breeding population is in the Dakotas. Males will disperse from this area for hundreds of miles looking (futile) for females. They have shown up in Minnesota and Wisconsin. The females do not disperse like the males do so the expansion of breeding areas is slow. Roaming males could possibly be expected in central Ontario but with no chance to establish a breeding population.
Old 27th June 2011, 07:52 PM   #139
pchams
Muse

I couldn't identify the gender. We surprised it, and it was gone into the bush like a shot (thankfully).
As I said, the ministry considers them escaped pets. I don't know if they are breeding. The typical range of the animal is quite large apparently.
We are in a fairly unpopulated area for south/central Ontario. It was just named as the Queen Elizabeth II Wildlands Provincial Park.
Mostly swamp and burnt forest, south of the Haliburton Highlands.

Last edited by pchams; 27th June 2011 at 08:03 PM.
pchams is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th June 2011, 05:07 PM   #140
mikeyx
Banned

The closest breeding population is in the Dakotas. Males will disperse from this area for hundreds of miles looking (futile) for females. They have shown up in Minnesota and Wisconsin. The females do not disperse like the males do so the expansion of breeding areas is slow. Roaming males could possibly be expected in central Ontario but with no chance to establish a breeding population.
Nope, It's in upstate NY.
mikeyx is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th June 2011, 05:24 PM   #141
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by mikeyx View Post
Nope, It's in upstate NY.
Got a link providing factual information about, and evidence for, a breeding population of cougars in upstate NY?
Old 28th June 2011, 08:35 PM   #142
Drewbot
Philosopher

no he doesnt.
Old 29th June 2011, 07:11 PM   #143
mikeyx
Banned

no he doesnt.
Spare me.....

Every single bigfoot sighting is a guy in a monkey suit every single time, oh wait, no according to TV, they're all Squamish Shaman trainees. They're there, and they're not all pets from south american. Forest through the trees.....
mikeyx is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2011, 10:28 PM   #144
Achán hiNidráne
Illuminator

Originally Posted by MG1962 View Post
I said cougar, not dinosaur lol
Actually, I think the joke would have worked better if you'd said Smilodon rather than dinosaur.
"As the Corpse Lord knows, men today are ill-trained--ignoble: naught but wet anuses dribbling childish terrors and superstitions! Thus is knowledge--history, science, the world of the ancients--lost, never to be regained!" --M.A.R. Barker, "The Man of Gold"
Achán hiNidráne is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th June 2011, 04:57 AM   #145
Drewbot
Philosopher

They're there, and they're not all pets from south american. Forest through the trees.....
Right, some of them are male wanderers from the Florida population or the Western population.
Old 30th June 2011, 09:06 AM   #146
mikeyx
Banned

Right, some of them are male wanderers from the Florida population or the Western population.
Nope, they've been there for some time, and tax dollars from pet projects don't want to be diverted. It's sad the closed minded world you boys live in. I dont have a report (dubious or otherwise) like Parcher, but I've one, so have folks in the DEP, and you have no facts proving me wrong. Moving on.
Old 30th June 2011, 09:25 AM   #147
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Wrong, Drew. There is no functional evidence of any cougars living in the wild in upstate New York. No functional evidence for escaped or released pets, none for wandering Florida cougars and none for wandering Western cougars.
Old 30th June 2011, 11:13 AM   #148
The Shrike
Illuminator

Define Upstate NY. I married a girl who considered Upstate to include towns 4 hours south of where I grew up. To me, Upstate means Adirondacks, Tug Hill Plateau, St. Lawrence Valley, etc.
The Shrike is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th June 2011, 11:23 AM   #149
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by The Shrike View Post
Define Upstate NY. I married a girl who considered Upstate to include towns 4 hours south of where I grew up. To me, Upstate means Adirondacks, Tug Hill Plateau, St. Lawrence Valley, etc.

I will say that for my posts, it makes no difference. The lack of functional evidence for wild cougars is true for the entire state of New York.
Old 30th June 2011, 04:53 PM   #150
Drewbot
Philosopher

sorry I waz referring to the east, not NY, I should have clarified.
Old 30th June 2011, 05:00 PM   #151
mikeyx
Banned

sorry I waz referring to the east, not NY, I should have clarified.
like the pesky cougar they killed in the quabbin resevoir area i mass in 2005, or the wolves they shot in goshen connecticut, you clearly know everything
Old 30th June 2011, 05:16 PM   #152
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

the pesky cougar they killed
The pesky link is requested again.
Old 20th July 2011, 07:59 AM   #153
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Another Ohio cougar.

Quote:
Jeanne and Bill Ecrement don't care what people say. They know what they saw in their back pasture on the morning of June 30. They saw it with their own eyes, through binoculars, and through a camera lens.

They say they saw a mountain lion. And they took pictures to prove it. Since then, they've hung a huge chunk of raw meat from a tree on their 14 acres in hopes they will see and photograph the animal again.

All you have to do is add a letter "x" to their last name.

Old 20th July 2011, 08:02 AM   #154
Drewbot
Philosopher

Oh, you beat me by 4 minutes posting this.

I was laughing my arse off, and showing people in the office that there are people who think this looks like a cougar. Everyone laughed, no one said 'well maybe it is a cougar'
Old 20th July 2011, 08:11 AM   #155
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Can you imagine being a wildlife official in the Eastern States? These things are presented to you with some regularity. Then there are the eyewitness reports with no presented evidence at all. Day after day, year after year, decade after decade, no cougars.
Old 20th July 2011, 08:51 AM   #156
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Isn't that another housecat of similar size to the left? Or is it an optical delusion?

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th July 2011, 09:18 AM   #157
2W0X1

Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
Isn't that another housecat of similar size to the left? Or is it an optical delusion?
Good eyes, I did not notice it until you pointed it out. It kind of looks like one.
2W0X1 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th July 2011, 09:21 AM   #158
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
No, that was a large goat which gives you a sense of size for the cougar. It was killed and eaten in the woods.

Attached Images
File Type: png tumblr_l6car5MTnV1qb8jr2o1_500_thumb.png (70.8 KB, 102 views)
Old 20th July 2011, 10:52 AM   #159
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
No, that was a large goat which gives you a sense of size for the cougar. It was killed and eaten in the woods.
An 800 pound sasquatch took the goat, and left no sign...it's cousin distracted the Bengal tiger by throwing a rock at a tree...

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th July 2011, 03:00 PM   #160
Pup
Philosopher

Uh oh. We have one that looks just like that. Now I'll need to get an exotic animal keeper's license.

From the article:

Quote:
“With a regular cat, you would never have been able to see it in the grass,” Bill said. He estimates the pasture grass to be 18 to 24 inches high.
So the "cougar" is six to eight feet high at the shoulder, sitting down?
Pup is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal