ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags big cats , cats , cryptozoology , Scotland incidents

Old 28th July 2009, 04:04 AM   #1
mummymonkey
Did you spill my pint?

Alien Big Cats in the UK?

A big cat has been photgraphed in Scotland.
The railway line is about 4 and a half feet wide which by my rekoning makes the cat about 3 foot not including tail. That's a fairly hefty moggie for sure but I'd have thought it was still within the range of domestic cat?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/...st/8172064.stm
Old 28th July 2009, 04:13 AM   #2
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Many parts of Australia have had sightings of "big cats", with this being a recent one:

http://borderwatch.com.au/archives/808

One of the theories is that US troups brought leopard mascots with them when posted here during WWII. I think wikipedia deals with these sightings well. Phantom Cats:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phantom_cat

Sir Winston Churchill

Last edited by lionking; 28th July 2009 at 04:14 AM.
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th July 2009, 04:16 AM   #3
Sean84
Muse

I heard cats were verboten on here, but googling fat cat rather than big cat leads to some pretty *********** big domestic cats.

http://www.funnydog.net/images/poza-fatcat.jpg
Sean84 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th July 2009, 04:18 AM   #4
Tristan Chi
Thinker

Originally Posted by mummymonkey View Post
A big cat has been photgraphed in Scotland.
The railway line is about 4 and a half feet wide which by my rekoning makes the cat about 3 foot not including tail. That's a fairly hefty moggie for sure but I'd have thought it was still within the range of domestic cat?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/...st/8172064.stm
That must be Behemot! Who was beheaded by the tram this time?
Tristan Chi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th July 2009, 05:41 AM   #5
Ersby
Fortean

I watched the video on the BBC website. It didn't strike me as being paticularly big. The way it daintly trots along the rail certainly looked more moggie than monster.
Old 28th July 2009, 05:52 AM   #6
shawmutt
Squirrel Murderer

Dude sounds pretty excited...he couldn't have dubbed in a soundtrack or something?
Eye of the Tiger?
shawmutt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th July 2009, 06:31 AM   #7
pakeha
Penultimate Amazing

While the Moggy Monster theory is attractive, my bets would be on the vid being a moggy of the Siberian Forest Cat, Norwegian Forest Cat or Maine Coon Cat persuasion.
pakeha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th July 2009, 06:40 AM   #8
pakeha
Penultimate Amazing

hi, lionking, loved the links.

This story was my favourite, though:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winnie_(feline)
pakeha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th July 2009, 06:46 AM   #9
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Ersby View Post
I watched the video on the BBC website. It didn't strike me as being paticularly big. The way it daintly trots along the rail certainly looked more moggie than monster.
Have to agree - doesn't look that big to me.
Old 28th July 2009, 06:59 AM   #10
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

It's a housecat. People making "alien big cat" claims don't truly understand how large leopards, jaguars and cougars are. The cat in this video also has a walk cadence unlike the real thing. It may be a rather large moggie, but it reveals its height when alongside the rail. Too much of the legs are concealed by the rail when it is briefly walking there. Once the cat has stepped onto the rail, we can see that its legs are not much taller than the rail itself.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg housecat.jpg (90.7 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg housecat2.jpg (88.5 KB, 22 views)
Old 28th July 2009, 07:10 AM   #11
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

"Touch not the cat bot a glaive"

'tis a quiz! Takers?

Life is mostly Froth and Bubble - Adam Lindsay Gordon
Akhenaten is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th July 2009, 07:12 AM   #12
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

The setting is known, so size comparisons could be made on location.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg housecat3.jpg (94.0 KB, 34 views)
Old 28th July 2009, 07:21 AM   #13
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

That is, I'm fairly sure, the first time I've ever seen a critical analysis done of anything which included an indication of "Moggie Height"

coffee/monitor

Akhenaten is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th July 2009, 07:23 AM   #14
learner
Graduate Poster

Whatever it is. the poor thing must be depressed.
Old 28th July 2009, 07:34 AM   #15
Marduk
Banned

ah, I think this is a domestic housecat, but I also think that the UK now has big cats as a native species. This is because I have researched this in depth before.

Marduk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th July 2009, 07:55 AM   #16
Amapola

Originally Posted by Akhenaten View Post

'tis a quiz! Takers?
"There's no "fear" in "MacPherson"!"

I have to stay the animal strikes me as a perfectly normal, although large, housecat. It even has that type of behaviour. I don't see it being "over 4' in length" like the one guy claims. It just looks like a big kitty to me.
Amapola is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th July 2009, 08:09 AM   #17
Michael C
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
doesn't look that big to me.
Nor to me. The BBC article quotes Shaun Stevens of the "Big Cats In Britain" group:
"Knowing the width of the rail tracks in Chris's video is 4ft 8.5in, the animal photographed by him is clearly in excess of 4ft and as such is certainly not a domestic cat."
Hm... almost as long as the width of the rail tracks? Look at the length of the beastie (without the tail) and the apparent width of the tracks:

Perspective is tricky. In this image, I think the cat is moving more or less perpendicular to the line of sight, so there's no foreshortening. The rails are certainly not perpendicular to the line of sight, so there is some foreshortening (exactly how much, I can't say). I'd estimate the length of the cat to be at most 1/2 the width of the rails.

So here's one more vote for "just a big kitty".
Michael C is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th July 2009, 08:09 AM   #18
Starthinker
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Sean84 View Post
I heard cats were verboten on here, but googling fat cat rather than big cat leads to some pretty *********** big domestic cats.

http://www.funnydog.net/images/poza-fatcat.jpg
I think it's kittens they try to avoid here.
Starthinker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th July 2009, 08:18 AM   #19
Marduk
Banned

Originally Posted by Michael C View Post
Nor to me. The BBC article quotes Shaun Stevens of the "Big Cats In Britain" group:
"Knowing the width of the rail tracks in Chris's video is 4ft 8.5in, the animal photographed by him is clearly in excess of 4ft and as such is certainly not a domestic cat."
Hm... almost as long as the width of the rail tracks? Look at the length of the beastie (without the tail) and the apparent width of the tracks:
cats are usually measured from nose to the tip of the tail,
from wiki
Quote:
Cats average about 23–25 centimeters (9–10 in) in height[14] and 46 centimeters (18.1 in) in head/body length (males being larger than females), with tails averaging 30 centimeters (11.8 in) in length.[15]
the longest domestic cat species is the maine coon cat.
the world record holder is 48 inches long
http://www.verismocat.com/htmscripts/leo-guinness.htm

so if its over 3 feet long then it isn't a housecat, you'll need to stop thinking black panther, that is not what the various native big cat societies in the UK are proposing, the current paradigm is a melanistic hybrid of a wild and domestic species.
Marduk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th July 2009, 08:23 AM   #20
JohnG
Pedantic Bore

Originally Posted by learner View Post
Whatever it is. the poor thing must be depressed.

Anna Katrenina?
Old 28th July 2009, 08:35 AM   #21
Fiona

Originally Posted by Tristan Chi View Post
That must be Behemot! Who was beheaded by the tram this time?
The oil has already been spilled? Are you sure ?
Fiona is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th July 2009, 08:40 AM   #22
shadron
Philosopher

Originally Posted by shawmutt View Post
Dude sounds pretty excited...he couldn't have dubbed in a soundtrack or something?
Eye of the Tiger?
Says in the story he had to run to his car to get his camera-phone. And, no, he doesn't sound excited, just winded.
shadron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th July 2009, 09:18 AM   #23
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

Originally Posted by Amapola View Post
"There's no "fear" in "MacPherson"!"

Awesome. You win 9 internets.

Cheers,

Dave

Old 28th July 2009, 10:10 AM   #24
Lucky
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Michael C View Post
http://www.internationalskeptics.com...f0fb738553.jpg

Perspective is tricky. In this image, I think the cat is moving more or less perpendicular to the line of sight, so there's no foreshortening. The rails are certainly not perpendicular to the line of sight, so there is some foreshortening (exactly how much, I can't say). I'd estimate the length of the cat to be at most 1/2 the width of the rails.

So here's one more vote for "just a big kitty".

I disagree - it looks quite a bit longer than half the width of the track. I'd say it's more like mummymonkey's estimate of three foot, which would be a very large domestic moggie.

It could be a Scottish Wildcat / domestic cat hybrid, perhaps a Kellas Cat. They can be bigger than either wildcats or domestic cats.
Lucky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th July 2009, 12:00 PM   #25
jhunter1163
beer-swilling semiliterate

Location: Connecticut, or King Arthur's Court. Hard to tell sometimes.
It's a big fat domestic cat. My parents had a cat about that size. Usually you can't hear a cat walk; this one you could. And if he jumped off the kitchen counter, the whole house knew.
Old 28th July 2009, 12:38 PM   #26
rsaavedra
Muse

Could be just a big cat, or just a young panther.
rsaavedra is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th July 2009, 12:47 PM   #27
makaya325
Banned

So these "Alien Big Cats" could be nothing more than abnormally large House cats?
makaya325 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th July 2009, 12:50 PM   #28
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

The bloke who took the video is reported as commenting that the tail was very long, which is a common comment people make about my Maine Coon cat; his tail looks proportionally much longer than a standard domestic moggy's tail.
Old 28th July 2009, 12:51 PM   #29
Apology
This title intentionally left blank

Looks like a black dog to me. There's nothing in this blurry, distant video that conclusively indicates that it's a cat.
Apology is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th July 2009, 12:51 PM   #30
Safe-Keeper
Philosopher

The missing link!

http://www.snopes.com/photos/animals/bigcat2.asp

Old 28th July 2009, 01:08 PM   #31
Big Les
Philosopher

'tis a quiz! Takers?
It's 'glove', surely? A glaive being a staff weapon. Although, one of the cats I had...
Big Les is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th July 2009, 01:26 PM   #32
blue sock monkey
Blithe Spirit

'tis a quiz! Takers?
Motto of the clan MacPherson. (I love Google.)

Find Dr StrangeOlympics, or How I learned to stop worrying & love the squirrel at http://bluesockmonkey.deviantart.com...38979?offset=0. And still more cartoons at: http://bluesockmonkey.stripgenerator.com/gallery/
blue sock monkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th July 2009, 01:33 PM   #33
Big Les
Philosopher

You were beaten to it, I'm afraid. As was I! A favourite quote of mine.
Big Les is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th July 2009, 01:39 PM   #34
Marduk
Banned

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
The bloke who took the video is reported as commenting that the tail was very long, which is a common comment people make about my Maine Coon cat; his tail looks proportionally much longer than a standard domestic moggy's tail.
how many jet black maine coon cats do you think there are running around in scotland ?

Last edited by Marduk; 28th July 2009 at 01:40 PM.
Old 28th July 2009, 01:44 PM   #35
Amapola

Awesome. You win 9 internets.

Cheers,

Dave
Yay for me!

Must confess though, it's supposed to be the family clan. So it's common knowledge in our family.

I can't see this being a dog, it definitely acts like a cat. It also moves like a cat. A domestic cat.
Amapola is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th July 2009, 01:46 PM   #36
blue sock monkey
Blithe Spirit

Originally Posted by Big Les View Post
You were beaten to it, I'm afraid. As was I! A favourite quote of mine.
(note to self: read all posts more carefully before posting.)

Originally Posted by Apology View Post
Looks like a black dog to me. There's nothing in this blurry, distant video that conclusively indicates that it's a cat.
On the video, the animal seems to move more like a cat than a dog, IMO--a bit slinky. The videographer should have thrown a ball of yarn in front of it so we'd be sure.

Find Dr StrangeOlympics, or How I learned to stop worrying & love the squirrel at http://bluesockmonkey.deviantart.com...38979?offset=0. And still more cartoons at: http://bluesockmonkey.stripgenerator.com/gallery/
blue sock monkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th July 2009, 01:55 PM   #37
svenax
Critical Thinker

'tis a quiz! Takers?
The motto of the Chattan confederation - Clan Chattan (the cat clan). Used by clan MacPherson, clan Mackintosh and the 14 other member clans.

Last edited by svenax; 28th July 2009 at 01:56 PM.
svenax is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th July 2009, 02:21 PM   #38
I Ratant
Penultimate Amazing

It resembles a black Jaguar.
Cougars although said to have been seen in the melanistic phase, are not actually known to be black.
Here's one at the Exotic Feline Breeding Compound in Rosamond CA.
It LOVES getting a shower or taking a bath in the August heat!
The tail is quick long and not tapered to a point, as is the typical house cat.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jrBlackJaguar.jpg (142.3 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg jrBlackJaguar-02.jpg (129.1 KB, 11 views)
I Ratant is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th July 2009, 02:31 PM   #39
JoeTheJuggler
Penultimate Amazing

Let's not forget Occam's Razor.

If you hear the pitty-pat of feline paws, think house cat, not panther.
Old 28th July 2009, 02:37 PM   #40
Marduk
Banned

Originally Posted by JoeTheJuggler View Post
Let's not forget Occam's Razor.

If you hear the pitty-pat of feline paws, think house cat, not panther.
I thought occams razor is more likely to tell you that if you hear the pitty-pat of feline paws see your doctor, you have developed hyper sensitive hearing

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal