ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags big cats , cats , cryptozoology , Scotland incidents

Old 8th September 2009, 05:19 AM   #361
gtc
Philosopher

I'm not sure about Crystal Palace but there was a colony of big cats living in NW London in the late 1980s. I've seen a documentary about it.
gtc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2009, 07:31 AM   #362
TjW
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by gtc View Post
I'm not sure about Crystal Palace but there was a colony of big cats living in NW London in the late 1980s. I've seen a documentary about it.
And we all know the moral to the story:

Cheetahs never prospah.
TjW is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2009, 08:04 PM   #363
Alareth
Philosopher

Originally Posted by supercorgi View Post
(since my training is in anthropology, there is one great fossil of an Australopithecine skull with two very distinct leopard punctures in the skull - it might have been the Taung child - I can't remeber).
It was determined in 2006 that the Taung Child was killed by an eagle or some other large raptor, not a cat as previously thought.

http://www.mg.co.za/article/2006-01-...finally-solved
Alareth is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th September 2009, 01:25 PM   #364
Marduk
Banned

http://www.cumnockchronicle.com/news...otted-in-sorn/
Quote:
A big cat was sighted prowling the fields in Sorn - but Cumnock's Top Cop insist there's no cause for alarm.

A woman from Fir Park spotted the black cat opposite the post office in the village before it ran off.

This is the second big cat sighting in Ayrshire since July when it was believed a Puma attacked was responsible for attacking a pony at Sundrum Castle.

But the sigtings, more than 12 miles apart, are not though to be linked. Inspector Derek Ireland has reassured the public saying: "There's no way this animal would approach a human. We've received no reports of livestock being worried by anything unexplained, and experts believe it would be living off rabbits."

"However the obvious advice is to members of the public is not to approach this animal but report it to the police."
who is Derek Ireland, is he scottish ?
Marduk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2009, 11:39 PM   #365
Marduk
Banned

http://www.dunfermlinepress.com/news...-in-west-fife/
Quote:
BIG cats continue to claw their way into West Fife - with new reported sightings in Low Valleyfield and Townhill.

In one terrifying night-time encounter a man came face-to-face with a Puma-like creature sat upon a hay bale.

And in another, a man out with his daughter said he was stared-out by a large black cat near Townhill Loch.

The two witnesses contacted Bob Wallace (47), Fife representative of Big Cats in Britain, after reading about recent Lynx-sightings on the Press website.
I'm quite curious as to why they only decided to report it after reading about similar cases, If I saw a big cat in the wild I would at least report it to the police in case it had escaped from somewhere
Marduk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2009, 07:54 PM   #366
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Father-of-four and puppy pursued by giant cat

Quote:
A jogger was forced to run for his life after encountering the infamous Beast of Sydenham.

Father-of-four Roger Fleming, 40, was on a late night run with his puppy King on December 9 near Sydenham Hill station when a giant cat chased them through Dulwich Wood.

Mr Fleming believes the creature, which he says looked like a brown cheetah, was the Beast of Sydenham, seen several times in the area over the years.

"I swear an oath to God never to go to that same part at night again. There should be signs telling people to take some caution because they’re walking around willy-nilly."

Neil Arnold, a researcher who runs Kent Big Cat Research, said the beast is believed to be a black leopard, the offspring of pets released into the wild.
Old 14th December 2009, 08:32 PM   #367
TjW
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
I feel that man should be arrested for fathering a puppy.
TjW is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2009, 09:53 PM   #368
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
Tip. If you run for your life from a cat, it would be a very short chase. Cats can run much faster than a human over short distances. That includes a domestic cat. Anything bigger would of course be much faster.

This person says he has escaped several times from a cat. This means to me either
1. The cat was not chasing him.
2. The cat did not exist. This is a subset of 1.
3. He had a huge head start.
4. The person should buy a tatts ticket.
rjh01 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th December 2009, 12:02 AM   #369
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Cats often play, though. They often chase, but not seriously, and don't really make an effort to catch and kill. They also sometimes just follow out of curiosity. (Or to size you up for the real attack)

This changes nothing, of course.

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2010, 07:56 AM   #370
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

'We hit a puma on the way home from supermarket'

Quote:
Martyn and Yvette Lovelock, of Dean Acres, were shocked when an animal bolted across the A907 Alloa to Blairhall road, near Devilla Forest, last month. And, crucially, they say hair from the animal left on their Volkswagen Polo after impact will confirm their big cat claims.

They estimate they hit the beast at around 50mph on the road at the Bath Moor Plantation and damage to their car included a smashed front grill, a dislodged light and a dent in the wing. The Lovelocks hope the hairs left on the side of the car will confirm the species through a DNA test.
Old 23rd January 2010, 08:12 AM   #371
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

The photo accompanying the article doesn't seem to match the description of the damage in the article and given that the husband states "Considering the speed we hit it at I was surprised there wasn't more damage" it would appear that there was next to no damage to the car so the chances of it being anything of any significant mass, for example something larger than a domestic cat is very slight. And if they were going at 50mph I very much doubt the accuracy of their eye witness testimony.

(And less said about Bob Wallace's comment the better!)
Old 23rd January 2010, 06:27 PM   #372
JcR
Banned

What I am amazed about is this darn cat spent a lot of energy and time trying to protect his weenie. I don't think he ever got around to eating it.
JcR is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2010, 11:23 PM   #373
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

There's no way that car hit anything much at all at 50mph imo. Certainly not a Cougar.

One of my employees hit a small deer at 35mph in a Ford Ranger pickup just the other day. There's plenty of obvious damage.

LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2010, 11:24 PM   #374
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

This was last month? So what were the results of the DNA testing?

And where is the body?

Last edited by LTC8K6; 23rd January 2010 at 11:26 PM.
Old 24th January 2010, 01:01 AM   #375
JcR
Banned

I want that hair sample! I've been trying to coax out this stubborn old Bass deep in the reeds.
JcR is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2010, 07:12 PM   #376
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Wildlife expert Ian Bond says big cats prevalent across North

Quote:
Wildlife expert Ian Bond will tonight explore the conviction that panthers are living wild in the North East. Ian, who is Hartlepool Council's ecologist, has been logging big cat sightings for the last 10 years.

A member of the Northumbria Mammal group, he has recorded around 150 sightings which have been made at close quarters.

Ian said that hotspots for sightings, usually of a black panther-type big cat, included the Hexham-Consett zone and Sedgefield-Trimdon area in County Durham. He said: "I record sightings made by people from fairly close quarters and I tend to dismiss those which could be some other creature. I am convinced there is something out there. I have no doubts whatsoever that there is the odd animal."

Sightings had been made by "reputable" observers such as policemen and an ecologist who twice had close-range encounters in Weardale. That sightings have been made over a wide area, from Berwick to Hartlepool, suggested that there is more than one animal.
Why no bodies or definitive evidence?
Old 26th July 2010, 02:33 PM   #377
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Wildlife trail camera owners in UK think they have "big cat" pictures. More at the link.

All are housecats.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1DSCF1131.JPG (14.2 KB, 214 views)
File Type: jpg zzz2.JPG (5.9 KB, 213 views)
Old 26th July 2010, 03:23 PM   #378
learner
Graduate Poster

All domestic Cats, apart from the third one. That is a Horse.
Old 26th July 2010, 03:30 PM   #379
Bell
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by learner View Post
lol, the cat is in the background.

When a couple of years ago some big cat (lynx or cougar or whatever) was sighted in a national park here in The Netherlands (which was a big story) I answered a call to the police where a woman wanted to report she saw a lynx or other big cat in the forest near where I live. Just goes to proof how easily people can be influenced.
Bell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th July 2010, 01:48 AM   #380
learner
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Bell View Post
lol, the cat is in the background.

When a couple of years ago some big cat (lynx or cougar or whatever) was sighted in a national park here in The Netherlands (which was a big story) I answered a call to the police where a woman wanted to report she saw a lynx or other big cat in the forest near where I live. Just goes to proof how easily people can be influenced.
Now I see it!... That there is a female Black Panther ( about 2 years old) sizing up that horse for dinner. The Horse knows this, hence the long face.
Old 27th July 2010, 08:30 AM   #381
Amapola

Now I see it!... That there is a female Black Panther ( about 2 years old) sizing up that horse for dinner. The Horse knows this, hence the long face.

What's funny (to me) about that picture is there the horse is, standing there very calmly and serenely gazing around... the horse WOULD NOT do that if there actually WERE a big cat anywhere near by! The horse would be upset and attempting to escape.

And who would think that was anything but a house cat? None of the pictures even seem ambiguous to me, but then, I was not expecting to see a cougar or a lion.
Amapola is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st August 2010, 10:58 AM   #382
McHaggis
New Blood

"Wildlife trail camera owners in UK think they have "big cat" pictures"

I am the blog creator you are linking to, and for the record, WE DO NOT think these images are of big cats. We do say so on the page you are refering to. The images were placed on the blog to show what the public are sending to us of what they think is a big cat. Not what we think are big cats

I agree that none of them are of what we would normally think of as the big cat, a melanistic leopard or jaguar.

The only one I can safely comment on regarding size is the last image where the cat is seen partially obscured by the grass. This was taken with one of my own cameras and the branch above the cat has been measured by myself, and I can confirm that the cats body length is at least 3 foot with a tail longer than a normal domestic cat would have. It's size means it is not a full grown leopard, so it's identity remains unknown. It could be a juvenile, as there are reports in the area of cats with cubs, or it could be a hybrid of some sort. There are scottish wildcats in the area, as well as feral cats.

All I can say is that a 3 foot body length for a feline is twice the size one would expect from a normal domestic or feral cat.

We will keep looking

Big Cats In Britain
McHaggis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st August 2010, 11:18 AM   #383
Delscottio
Muse

Originally Posted by McHaggis View Post
"Wildlife trail camera owners in UK think they have "big cat" pictures"

I am the blog creator you are linking to, and for the record, WE DO NOT think these images are of big cats. We do say so on the page you are refering to. The images were placed on the blog to show what the public are sending to us of what they think is a big cat. Not what we think are big cats

I agree that none of them are of what we would normally think of as the big cat, a melanistic leopard or jaguar.

The only one I can safely comment on regarding size is the last image where the cat is seen partially obscured by the grass. This was taken with one of my own cameras and the branch above the cat has been measured by myself, and I can confirm that the cats body length is at least 3 foot with a tail longer than a normal domestic cat would have. It's size means it is not a full grown leopard, so it's identity remains unknown. It could be a juvenile, as there are reports in the area of cats with cubs, or it could be a hybrid of some sort. There are scottish wildcats in the area, as well as feral cats.

All I can say is that a 3 foot body length for a feline is twice the size one would expect from a normal domestic or feral cat.

We will keep looking

Big Cats In Britain
I take you mean the worst picture of the lot? (in regards to clarity). The one taken in Argyllshire? From the little I can make out it doesn't look out of place to be honest, just like a big domestic cat.

You should drop into one of the bigfoot threads - if you know the exact specs of your camera sure someone could give you an estimate of size....
Delscottio is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd August 2010, 04:27 AM   #384
McHaggis
New Blood

Why would I need to ask someone in a bigfoot forum about estimation of size?

It's my camera, I know the location, (I did put the camera there), I've measured the branch to give an idea of scale. So unless my tape measure is giving me a false measurement, the size of the animal cannot be questioned.

I agree with you on the clarity, the camera was set to take three pictures in quick succession, and the cat only appeared on the first one. Unfortunately the very nature of these cameras is that you rarely get a nice picture perfect profile of an animal. In reality you get plenty of animal backsides and the odd leg as the animal dissappears out of view.

If you click on the image on the blog, you will get a much larger and clearer image. Take a look at the tail. Domestic cat tails are relatively short compared to their bodies, and are shorter in length than their shoulder height from the floor. The tail on this animal is much much longer than would be expected from either a doimestic cat or a feral cat.

What this animal is, I havn't a clue, unlike lots of big cat "researchers" I don't say that's a leopard or puma or lynx everytime they get a sighting. 99.9% of all sightings that have a picture with it, DO NOT show a leopard or puma or lynx, but usually large domestics or one of the larger designer breeds of cats. However occasionally we get pictures like this one, which we cannot dismiss immediately as a known species.

All I can say about this animal is that it is feline and is twice the size of a normal domestic cat. The farm where this image was taken is about a mile away, and is the only habitated building for several miles. There are several feral cats living in the farm buildings all of which are quite thin and of normal size. This animal is certainly not one of those.

The identity of the animal still remains an unanswered question to me.
McHaggis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd August 2010, 04:44 AM   #385
McHaggis
New Blood

Unfortunately, I can't post images on here until I have made 15 posts, so I have now added a close-up and cropped image of the animal to the blog. It's below the original photo of the Argyll cat.

Your views will be welcome.

Perhaps someone else could get the image from the blog and post it here.
Old 2nd August 2010, 05:05 AM   #386
McHaggis
New Blood

Originally Posted by Amapola View Post

What's funny (to me) about that picture is there the horse is, standing there very calmly and serenely gazing around... the horse WOULD NOT do that if there actually WERE a big cat anywhere near by! The horse would be upset and attempting to escape.

And who would think that was anything but a house cat? None of the pictures even seem ambiguous to me, but then, I was not expecting to see a cougar or a lion.
I certainly agree with you, it certainly isn't a Big Cat, (like a leopard), and we too wonder why people keep thinking they are seeing and photographing one, and then sending them to us or to the press.

They obviously think they are seeing something out of the ordinary, it's not as though people don't know what a domestic cat looks like. But one point I would like to make, is that although these photographs do not show Big Cats, they all do show big cats. This one is no exception. Luckily in this case, the witness had also previously photographed a fox on the same position on the wall. So we have this as a comparison shot.

Again, I can't post the comparison photo here, yet, but follow the links and you'll find it, or perhaps someone else could post it here.

The comparison photo confirms the animal is not a leopard os such like, but does show an animal slightly smaller than the fox, which would put it at the upper limits of known sizes of domestic/feral cats. And certainly not something someone would expect to see everyday. Which may explain the witnesses reaction to seeing the animal
Old 2nd August 2010, 05:28 AM   #387
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

No they are all clearly miniature leopards.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd August 2010, 06:01 AM   #388
Delscottio
Muse

Why would I need to ask someone in a bigfoot forum about estimation of size?

It's my camera, I know the location, (I did put the camera there), I've measured the branch to give an idea of scale. So unless my tape measure is giving me a false measurement, the size of the animal cannot be questioned.
I was more thinking of independant verification, because lets face it all we have is your word for it. I am not saying you are telling porkies but you are an obvious believer and in the absence of a) a corpse b) clear photography that can be verified c) animal kills etc d) fur / droppings e)tracks etc thats all anyone else has - your word. You could have been mistaken, it happens.

Quote:
I agree with you on the clarity, the camera was set to take three pictures in quick succession, and the cat only appeared on the first one. Unfortunately the very nature of these cameras is that you rarely get a nice picture perfect profile of an animal. In reality you get plenty of animal backsides and the odd leg as the animal dissappears out of view.
I can see that could be a problem, although if we are talking about leopards etc from what I've heard from documentary makers is you are lucky to even get that!

Quote:
If you click on the image on the blog, you will get a much larger and clearer image. Take a look at the tail. Domestic cat tails are relatively short compared to their bodies, and are shorter in length than their shoulder height from the floor. The tail on this animal is much much longer than would be expected from either a doimestic cat or a feral cat.
Not being an expert in cats I don't have much to offer.

Quote:
What this animal is, I havn't a clue, unlike lots of big cat "researchers" I don't say that's a leopard or puma or lynx everytime they get a sighting. 99.9% of all sightings that have a picture with it, DO NOT show a leopard or puma or lynx, but usually large domestics or one of the larger designer breeds of cats. However occasionally we get pictures like this one, which we cannot dismiss immediately as a known species.
Now this is where we disagree, in the absence of the above that I typed out before I would immediatley put the photo down to meh an odd photo.

Quote:
All I can say about this animal is that it is feline and is twice the size of a normal domestic cat. The farm where this image was taken is about a mile away, and is the only habitated building for several miles. There are several feral cats living in the farm buildings all of which are quite thin and of normal size. This animal is certainly not one of those.

The identity of the animal still remains an unanswered question to me.
Fair enough, just don't expect others to agree without independant verification.

p.s I would love there to be big cats out there, I just fear we are too an inhabitated island for them to exist without clear evidence of them being here.
Delscottio is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd August 2010, 06:04 AM   #389
Delscottio
Muse

Unfortunately, I can't post images on here until I have made 15 posts, so I have now added a close-up and cropped image of the animal to the blog. It's below the original photo of the Argyll cat.

Your views will be welcome.

Perhaps someone else could get the image from the blog and post it here.
Original

Cropped Image

Old 2nd August 2010, 06:44 AM   #390
Bell
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Delscottio View Post
From this photo I cannot tell if the cat is walking directly under the branch or is closer to the camera.
Bell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd August 2010, 06:58 AM   #391
McHaggis
New Blood

Thanks Delscottio for putting up the pics.

You comment that I could be mistaken is a very valid one, IF it was of a sighting of a cat that I had with my own eyes. Memory and size perception are notoriously bad in these sort of cases, and often the mind will play tricks on itself. Thinking the animal was larger than it really was. Hence the reason we get reports of 4 foot long cats, accompanied with pictures of cats wchich turn out to be less than 2 foot when we investigate the site and take comparison photographs.

But in this case, the memory nor size perception play any part in this. We have a picture taken of a cat, we have a branch above the cat. The branch was measured. From this measurement between noticeable points on the branch, (in this case at the joins where smaller branches are connected to the main branch), and size estimation could be made. I have had many pictures of feral cats on my cameras over the years, and these were dismissed immediately, even though some of them were over 2 feet in body length with 15" tails. This is something different.

Just to clarify my position regarding the existance of big cats in the UK. I am a believer only in the respect that I have seen a puma crossing the road in front of my car in Scotland. For every other report that comes my way, I am an extreme sceptic. (often at odds with the majority of my fellow researchers). I will always ask for proof, and to date I have seen very little in the way of proof. This leads me to conclude a couple of things. The numbers of real big cats, (leopards pumas etc) that are living wild in the entire UK probably number no more than 20 or 30, however we do have probably hundreds of these giant feral/hybrids black cats, which account for the majority of sightings. Where these originate from, I have yet to see definitive evidence.

Regarding evidence, corpses have been found of Lynx and Puma, and we know of one black leopard corpse removed from MOD land, (we are still trying to get more info through the FOI act, but it is a nightmare to do so, and we keep getting stalling tactics. I am a veteran of finding info through the FOI, (freedom of information), having sent well over 1000 requests to date).

We do have access to external organisations if and when we get evidence. We use the services of South African and American game trackers for prints, access to DNA testing, and we have worked with Dr Andrew Kitchener in Edinburgh (one of the worlds leading authorities on wild cats), in relation to thinks like the Kellas cats. We have the professional expertise available, we just need the evidence now.
Old 2nd August 2010, 07:02 AM   #392
McHaggis
New Blood

Originally Posted by Bell View Post
From this photo I cannot tell if the cat is walking directly under the branch or is closer to the camera.
Bell, the cat is actually slightly behind the branch. There is a small animal trackway just behind the branch which leads down to a small stream, (this was the reason the camera was placed there in the first place), which is why the animal appears to be going slightly downhill. The cat is probably about 12"-18" behind the branch
Old 2nd August 2010, 07:11 AM   #393
Cuddles
Penultimate Amazing

Bell, the cat is actually slightly behind the branch. There is a small animal trackway just behind the branch which leads down to a small stream, (this was the reason the camera was placed there in the first place), which is why the animal appears to be going slightly downhill. The cat is probably about 12"-18" behind the branch
Evidence? It certainly doesn't seem to be possible to tell that from the photograph. Just because there's a track there doesn't mean the cat is using it. My cats, and pretty much every other cat I've ever seen, often wander around in long grass regardless of the presence of tracks. This simply looks like a regular cat that happens to be closer to the camera than you think.
Cuddles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd August 2010, 07:53 AM   #394
sphenisc
Illuminator

The grass appears to be Yorkshire Fog Holcus lanatus, which grows to ~60cm. If you've got better pictures of the grass the identification can be confirmed.

http://www.dgsgardening.btinternet.co.uk/yorkfog.htm
sphenisc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd August 2010, 08:33 AM   #395
McHaggis
New Blood

I understand what you are saying. but I have viewed the 812kb image in very close detail. I certainly wouldn't have released the image if I thought it was just a regular cat.

There are tall grasses in front of the cat which can actually be seen touching the branch.

I have been on site, I have viewed the image on site, and I am fully convinced that the cat is slightly behind the branch.

But as I've said, I appreciate everyones views, although I may not agree with them all
Old 2nd August 2010, 08:41 AM   #396
McHaggis
New Blood

Originally Posted by sphenisc View Post
The grass appears to be Yorkshire Fog Holcus lanatus, which grows to ~60cm. If you've got better pictures of the grass the identification can be confirmed.

http://www.dgsgardening.btinternet.co.uk/yorkfog.htm
I looked up the grass you were suggesting, but it isn't that.

What I will say is that on my last visit to the location the grass is well above the branch now, in fact well over my waist height, so more than 36" high. Also the branch is now much lower as the weight of its branches and leaves has caused it to bend lower to the ground.

If the animal was to walk the same path today and I had the camera in the same position, it would be impossible to see due to all the growth of the plants in the area.
Old 2nd August 2010, 09:21 AM   #397
EHocking
Philosopher

I understand what you are saying. but I have viewed the 812kb image in very close detail.
Any chance of posting the original somewhere with the EXIF data intact (i.e. an untreated copy of the original)?

There's not much that can be gleaned from the 43kb image.

Oh, and how far away is the tree limb, tree trunk and the game trail from the camera?
"It's all god's handiwork, there's little quality control applied", Fox26 reporter on Texas granite
Forum Birdwatching Webpage

Last edited by EHocking; 2nd August 2010 at 09:30 AM.
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd August 2010, 09:35 AM   #398
Delscottio
Muse

Thanks Delscottio for putting up the pics.
No problem.

Quote:
You comment that I could be mistaken is a very valid one, IF it was of a sighting of a cat that I had with my own eyes. Memory and size perception are notoriously bad in these sort of cases, and often the mind will play tricks on itself. Thinking the animal was larger than it really was. Hence the reason we get reports of 4 foot long cats, accompanied with pictures of cats wchich turn out to be less than 2 foot when we investigate the site and take comparison photographs.

But in this case, the memory nor size perception play any part in this. We have a picture taken of a cat, we have a branch above the cat. The branch was measured. From this measurement between noticeable points on the branch, (in this case at the joins where smaller branches are connected to the main branch), and size estimation could be made. I have had many pictures of feral cats on my cameras over the years, and these were dismissed immediately, even though some of them were over 2 feet in body length with 15" tails. This is something different.
The problem is what you say is in the picture I can't see. The tail doesn't look abnormal - just a vey unscientific measurement on my screen doesn't say anything other than "normal".

Quote:
snip

Regarding evidence, corpses have been found of Lynx and Puma, and we know of one black leopard corpse removed from MOD land, (we are still trying to get more info through the FOI act, but it is a nightmare to do so, and we keep getting stalling tactics. I am a veteran of finding info through the FOI, (freedom of information), having sent well over 1000 requests to date).
Keep us updated with that I would be interested. How do you know of this corpse btw?

Quote:
We do have access to external organisations if and when we get evidence. We use the services of South African and American game trackers for prints, access to DNA testing, and we have worked with Dr Andrew Kitchener in Edinburgh (one of the worlds leading authorities on wild cats), in relation to thinks like the Kellas cats. We have the professional expertise available, we just need the evidence now.
Good luck.

Last edited by Delscottio; 2nd August 2010 at 09:51 AM. Reason: missing quote tags
Old 2nd August 2010, 09:36 AM   #399
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Full size:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_Vl14Fxv1bv...bcat250510.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_Vl14Fxv1bv...00/zoomcat.JPG

Old 2nd August 2010, 09:57 AM   #400
Delscottio
Muse

McHaggis, sorry for the split in post but coming back to the FOI request, why would the MOD stall? Are you suggesting a cover up or normal MOD procedures? Why would they not release the information if there was a risk to human life? I can't think of a reason not to release the information especally when it would boost the local economy from the tourism - I would be up there like a shot if there were big cats wandering around.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal