ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 2nd May 2018, 08:35 PM   #121
Jodie
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Nay_Sayer View Post
No arc and not only that I bet Jodie recalls a small noise or voice just before too.
No, only noise with the first earring that I assume fell on the floor. I didn't see it fall.
"When I was a child I caught a fleeting glimpse out of the corner of my eye. I turned to look but it was gone, I cannot put my finger on it now. The child is grown, the dream is gone. I have become comfortably numb. " Pink Floyd
Jodie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2018, 08:37 PM   #122
Jodie
Philosopher

Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
It's too bad that diamonds or gold coins didn't materialize instead of worthless earrings.
I agree
"When I was a child I caught a fleeting glimpse out of the corner of my eye. I turned to look but it was gone, I cannot put my finger on it now. The child is grown, the dream is gone. I have become comfortably numb. " Pink Floyd
Jodie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd May 2018, 04:46 AM   #123
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
I only remember the one about the cougar chasing a deer through the backyard in a place where cougars are "not supposed to be found".

Where is the other story?
http://www.internationalskeptics.com...&postcount=560

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd May 2018, 05:15 AM   #124
Drewbot
Philosopher

There was a person on Bigfoot Forums who claimed she saw Bigfoot smoking Marlboros.

She was from the South, I wonder if it was Jodie making up a story.
Drewbot is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd May 2018, 06:57 AM   #125
Chanakya

Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post

Thanks for the link.

Originally Posted by Jodie View Post
They are things IRL that I've had happen to me or around me that I can't explain.

Actually it’s a lovely idea, these “Stories”. Reminds me of this old two-volume collection of Miss Marple short stories I’d read ages back (I still probably have the volumes lying around somewhere in my library, unless someone’s borrowed them away). They’re about this group of people, all of them connected with crime in some way or form ; and once a week (or month, I forget which) they get together and relate interesting real-life crimes they’ve personally encountered (that is, real-life to the fictitious characters in this fictitious set-up) ; and the group sets to solve these puzzles. Each short story covers one single puzzle, solved within that room just through discussion.

Given that this skeptics’ forum includes many who (going by some of the early debunking threads) have actually hunted Woo (to put it somewhat dramatically), and a great many more who probably fancy themselves armchair debunkers, I think it would be a great idea for others also, not just you, to come out and relate any such incidents that they may have experienced or witnessed, and the group could have a go at figuring them out (and at cracking bad jokes around them, like I did). And we could call them all “Jodie Stories”, irrespective of who started them, since the name seems to have caught on.

I can think of a couple such incidents myself. I don't think I want to go into them yet, but if this idea catches on, then I'll be happy to contribute a couple Stories myself, going forward.

Question : Has the group actually been able to solve any specific “Jodie Story” that you’ve presented here? If they have, then can you give me the link to one such thread? (I’ve only skimmed quickly through the first page of the link P J Denyer gave me, above. But if there is some “Story” that has actually been solved by the group, then I think I’d be interested in going through the entire thread discussing that Story.)
Chanakya is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd May 2018, 07:13 AM   #126
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by Chanakya View Post
Question: Has the group actually been able to solve any specific “Jodie Story” that you’ve presented here?
Would that be one in which Jodie says that it has been solved, or what?
Old 3rd May 2018, 07:24 AM   #127
Chanakya

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
Would that be one in which Jodie says that it has been solved, or what?

I suppose. Given that she would be the one who's best informed about what did happen.

Although not necessarily Jodie alone, or even primarily, if she's related everything she knows, in full detail, about the case (so that others end up knowing as much as she does about the issue) : some instance where the solution has generally satisfied most people who've followed the thread. But if most others did agree to some solution, I suppose Jodie would too, in that case, so probably a distinction without a difference.
Chanakya is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd May 2018, 07:30 AM   #128
The Greater Fool
Illuminator

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way
Actually it’s a lovely idea, these “Stories”. Reminds me of this old two-volume collection of Miss Marple short stories I’d read ages back (I still probably have the volumes lying around somewhere in my library, unless someone’s borrowed them away). They’re about this group of people, all of them connected with crime in some way or form ; and once a week (or month, I forget which) they get together and relate interesting real-life crimes they’ve personally encountered (that is, real-life to the fictitious characters in this fictitious set-up) ; and the group sets to solve these puzzles. Each short story covers one single puzzle, solved within that room just through discussion.
Asimov's Black Widowers was a similar concept.
Old 3rd May 2018, 07:53 AM   #129
Cervelo
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Drewbot View Post
There was a person on Bigfoot Forums who claimed she saw Bigfoot smoking Marlboros.

She was from the South, I wonder if it was Jodie making up a story.
That was Assfooty, Sasfooty something like that....she claimed to have a tribe of Bigfeets hanging out in her backyard. She even submitted a picture of a Bigfoot hovering at her second story window....upside down, seeing Bigfoot smoking on the edge of her backyard and ironically saw a Bigfoot wearing a cougar pelt as a shawl.
Her posting style was very similar to Jodies....fantastical stories with no support, take it or leave it, but when challenged, the personal attacks began.
She was great practice for dealing with delusional and/or lying trollish behavior.

Last edited by Cervelo; 3rd May 2018 at 07:54 AM.
Cervelo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd May 2018, 07:59 AM   #130
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

I suppose. Given that she would be the one who's best informed about what did happen.
Yeah well guess what actually happens when Jodie is presented with a solution(s).

Quote:
if she's related everything she knows, in full detail, about the case (so that others end up knowing as much as she does about the issue)
There's no possible way to establish that because we are talking about a story. All Jodie Stories are anecdotes. You can't know if she's accurate or truthful.

Quote:
But if most others did agree to some solution, I suppose Jodie would too, in that case, so probably a distinction without a difference.
She basically doesn't do that.
Old 3rd May 2018, 09:28 AM   #131
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Typing on a computer, no, an earring falling out of the air with no obvious place it came from, yes.
Interesting. The more mundane the thing you don't understand, the more meaningful it is to you. How luxuriously meaningful your life must be. Enjoy!

Suffering is not a punishment not a fruit of sin, it is a gift of God.
He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd May 2018, 02:44 PM   #132
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

I was sitting directly across from Becky looking at her because she was talking at the time. Becky was sitting with her arms crossed on the table. I saw the earring fall straight down and hit her arm, I thought it was a bug at first. That does happen with the large palmetto bugs we have here in the south.
Exactly. You were looking at something else. You weren't looking at the earring when it began to fall, you only noticed it once it was already falling. You were looking at something else, and at some point it entered your field of vision. You saw it for, what, about a tenth of a second? You have no way of judging its trajectory in that time. It might have been moving towards you or away from you, and still look from your perspective like it was moving in a straight vertical line.

The number of things you don't know about the situation is astronomical.

This is why I always say that you should wait for the green light before crossing the road. Because there might be an aspect of the situation that you are not aware of.

What aspects of this situation might there be that you are not aware of?
Old 3rd May 2018, 02:49 PM   #133
The Greater Fool
Illuminator

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way
Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Exactly. You were looking at something else. You weren't looking at the earring when it began to fall, you only noticed it once it was already falling. You were looking at something else, and at some point it entered your field of vision. You saw it for, what, about a tenth of a second? You have no way of judging its trajectory in that time. It might have been moving towards you or away from you, and still look from your perspective like it was moving in a straight vertical line.

This is why I always say that you should wait for the green light before crossing the road. Because there might be an aspect of the situation that you are not aware of.

It further occurs to me that from Jodie's angle, she may have perceived it coming straight down, but offset 90% it may have had a fair arc. Jodie has effectively 1/2 the required information to make the claim.
Old 3rd May 2018, 04:51 PM   #134
Garrette
Penultimate Amazing

I thought Community was more appropriate.
And yet you did not post it there. No matter. You'll get no more attention from me.
Old 4th May 2018, 08:38 AM   #135
Jodie
Philosopher

Thanks for the link.

Given that this skeptics’ forum includes many who (going by some of the early debunking threads) have actually hunted Woo (to put it somewhat dramatically), and a great many more who probably fancy themselves armchair debunkers, I think it would be a great idea for others also, not just you, to come out and relate any such incidents that they may have experienced or witnessed, and the group could have a go at figuring them out (and at cracking bad jokes around them, like I did). And we could call them all “Jodie Stories”, irrespective of who started them, since the name seems to have caught on.

I can think of a couple such incidents myself. I don't think I want to go into them yet, but if this idea catches on, then I'll be happy to contribute a couple Stories myself, going forward.

Question : Has the group actually been able to solve any specific “Jodie Story” that you’ve presented here? If they have, then can you give me the link to one such thread? (I’ve only skimmed quickly through the first page of the link P J Denyer gave me, above. But if there is some “Story” that has actually been solved by the group, then I think I’d be interested in going through the entire thread discussing that Story.)
Maybe the car battery story. I don't think anyone came up with a good explanation for anything else other than I have issues with my memory or I'm crazy. I ruled both of those out.
Old 4th May 2018, 08:45 AM   #136
Jodie
Philosopher

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post

I had my back to the room and was looking at Becky, however, three members of my party were facing the room. No one threw anything according to them and there was no way to enter the room without being seen. But me personally, I only saw what was in front of me.
Old 4th May 2018, 08:57 AM   #137
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

All Jodie Stories have a subtopic. That is, you skeptic people are wrong!
Old 4th May 2018, 10:09 AM   #138
Drewbot
Philosopher

Jodie Stories - are attempts to make skeptics apply more weight to anecdotal accounts, typically they involve a glaring inconsistency that skeptics catch on to. Jodie Stories have evolved over the years, but the number of inconsistencies in each story has stayed approximately the same.

I phone without a camera
Cougar sighting in a place where there are no cougars
Something convinced us that her Father or Grandfather's Bigfoot story was fake.

Can you remember any others?
Drewbot is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th May 2018, 12:14 PM   #139
Cervelo
Graduate Poster

She has remembered hearing Abraham Lincoln speak. The "game" of this type of claim, just as with the most recent, is she's never claimed to have been reincarnated or that things materialize out of thin air....it's just what she experienced.
The best part of this fishing expedition is, it always starts out with the most basic "facts" leaving plenty of room for "explanation" as the questions come forward.
Just as many have pointed out this behaviour is well documented here and at BFF and who knows how many other fourms.
Cervelo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th May 2018, 06:01 PM   #140
Jodie
Philosopher

If you don't want to to participate in my threads you don't have to. I'm surprised no one mentioned the Flying Amoeba story. That was the weirdest thing of all and the one I had the hardest time trying to figure out. I settled for some kind of electrical plasma ball as an explanation but even that didn't fit 100% as an explanation.
Old 4th May 2018, 06:46 PM   #141
Cervelo
Graduate Poster

If you don't want to to participate in my threads you don't have to. I'm surprised no one mentioned the Flying Amoeba story. That was the weirdest thing of all and the one I had the hardest time trying to figure out. I settled for some kind of electrical plasma ball as an explanation but even that didn't fit 100% as an explanation.
Who said anything about not wanting to participate? Is someone being forced to respond to your baseless claims?
Shocking stuff people responding to baseless woo claims on a fourm dedicated to skepticism

But that's really the whole point of making baseless woo claims on a skeptics fourm

Last edited by Cervelo; 4th May 2018 at 06:49 PM.
Old 4th May 2018, 09:10 PM   #142
EHocking
Philosopher

I wish, a few were afraid to touch them but I picked them up to see if they had a gold stamp or sterling silver stamp on them.
Not exactly, I think it was an odd thing to happen, we spent time trying to figure out how it happened and ruled out falling out of the ceiling since it was a smooth plaster ceiling, someone throwing them at us, then a couple of us got spooked, so we left.
Sounds like a case of hysteria to me.
"It's all god's handiwork, there's little quality control applied", Fox26 reporter on Texas granite
Forum Birdwatching Webpage
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th May 2018, 05:56 AM   #143
Jodie
Philosopher

I don't know, in this particular instance I was simply there when it happened.
Old 5th May 2018, 06:47 AM   #144
BayWatcher
Scholar

Makes sense..."we found an earring! Everyone run for your lives!!!"
BayWatcher is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th May 2018, 07:35 AM   #145
Chanakya

Originally Posted by BayWatcher View Post
Makes sense..."we found an earring! Everyone run for your lives!!!"

I've always found earrings to be disagreeable objects. I've never worn them myself, but I don't think having these things hanging on to your lobes can be a pleasant thing : and I can't imagine why so many people consent to carrying not one but two metaphorical crosses all their lives long.

And they tend to get in the way, sometimes, when you particularly don't want them to get in the way.

Not pleasant things, no. Not scary, I suppose, but definitely unpleasant.
Old 5th May 2018, 12:41 PM   #146
Jodie
Philosopher

Only the piercing is unpleasant, otherwise you aren't aware they are there unless they are too heavy or clip on.
Old 5th May 2018, 05:40 PM   #147
EHocking
Philosopher

Only the piercing is unpleasant, ... unless they are too heavy or clip on.
What a wonderful non sequitur.
"It's all god's handiwork, there's little quality control applied", Fox26 reporter on Texas granite
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th May 2018, 07:09 PM   #148
kellyb
Philosopher

Originally Posted by EHocking View Post
Not if you read the post preceding it.
Old 6th May 2018, 02:45 PM   #149
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

I had my back to the room and was looking at Becky, however, three members of my party were facing the room. No one threw anything according to them and there was no way to enter the room without being seen. But me personally, I only saw what was in front of me.
Look, neither I nor anyone else can possibly have the one definitive explanation of what actually happened. As I have been pointing out, even you who were there have an incomplete picture. I can keep offering possibilities until the cows come home, but you'll always be able to find some reason to say that they're wrong, especially if you think you already know the answer.

Apparently weird things happen all the time, precisely because of our incomplete knowledge of situations. You don't know where the earring came from. The only thing that tells you about it is that you don't know. Don't put more stock in that than is warranted.
Old 7th May 2018, 06:04 AM   #150
Chanakya

Maybe the car battery story. I don't think anyone came up with a good explanation for anything else other than I have issues with my memory or I'm crazy. I ruled both of those out.

Jodie, you went and spoilered (spoiled? spoilered?) your own thread for me. You’ve gone ahead and given away the punch line, the whodunnit -- the car battery -- right at the outset!

But of course, I still have no clue about how it is the butler carried out the murder, so that’s all right : to get at the modus operandi I’ll still have to read the entire thread.
Old 7th May 2018, 06:10 AM   #151
Chanakya

Originally Posted by EHocking View Post
Originally Posted by kellyb View Post
Not if you read the post preceding it.

Actually she seems to have quite a sense of humor. See how she delivers this deadpan comment, with a completely straight face?

I don't think anyone came up with a good explanation for anything else other than I have issues with my memory or I'm crazy. I ruled both of those out.

I could be mistaken, of course, but I would guess that that was a similarly straight-faced rejoinder, made in jest, in response to my rather flat-footed attempt at making a joke.
Old 7th May 2018, 06:41 AM   #152
carlitos
"más divertido"

Jodie Stories - are attempts to make skeptics apply more weight to anecdotal accounts, typically they involve a glaring inconsistency that skeptics catch on to. Jodie Stories have evolved over the years, but the number of inconsistencies in each story has stayed approximately the same.

I phone without a camera
Cougar sighting in a place where there are no cougars
Something convinced us that her Father or Grandfather's Bigfoot story was fake.

Can you remember any others?
A shrimp being lodged in the muscle tissue of a fish, served as a Filet O'Fish at McDonald's.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th May 2018, 05:14 PM   #153
EHocking
Philosopher

Actually she seems to have quite a sense of humor.
Somehow, I don't think it is intentional.
Quote:
See how she delivers this deadpan comment, with a completely straight face?...
A case in point.
Old 8th May 2018, 05:52 PM   #154
Thermal
Illuminator

@Jodie: did you count how many earrings were left in your friend's ears after this one fell on her arm? Noserings? Eyebrows?
Old 8th May 2018, 08:26 PM   #155
Jodie
Philosopher

No one lost any jewelry. Once we ruled out a falling insect, we checked our ears.
Old 8th May 2018, 08:58 PM   #156
Nay_Sayer
I say nay!

No one lost any jewelry. Once we ruled out a falling insect, we checked our ears.
You did not, however, rule out the very real possibility of the 17th dimensional Bigfoot throwing the earings, Yes I'm serious,
----------------------------------------------
“That which can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.” -Christopher Hitchens-
Nay_Sayer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2018, 06:16 AM   #157
Drewbot
Philosopher

Why did you think falling insect? then check your ears?

I would think you would : find the earring on the floor, then check ears, but only if the earring you found was similar to the ones you had put on in the morning.
Old 9th May 2018, 09:07 AM   #158
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

No one lost any jewelry.
Then where did the jewelry come from?

I submit that someone must have lost some jewelry, unless you imagined the earrings.

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2018, 07:23 PM   #159
Jodie
Philosopher

Why did you think falling insect? then check your ears?

I would think you would : find the earring on the floor, then check ears, but only if the earring you found was similar to the ones you had put on in the morning.
The earring that fell on Becky was a black multifaceted shiney bead. In May in SC the palmetto bugs start getting in houses, stores, or other places sometimes falling from the ceiling or flying in like a 747 for a landing on you. That's when true hysteria ensues for me. After we saw it wasn't a bug we checked to see if we had lost our own ear rings. It was a reflexive action. Annie Ruth looked for the first earring on the floor after the second earring fell on Becky after not initially finding what we all thought was an ink pen that fell out of Becky's purse.

Last edited by Jodie; 9th May 2018 at 07:24 PM.
Old 9th May 2018, 07:24 PM   #160
Jodie
Philosopher

Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
Then where did the jewelry come from?

I submit that someone must have lost some jewelry, unless you imagined the earrings.

That's what we couldn't figure out. We all saw the earrings and left them on the table when we got up to leave.

Last edited by Jodie; 9th May 2018 at 07:27 PM.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal