ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 29th June 2018, 01:28 AM   #1
tinribmancer
Hasbarian NWO Templar Cattle

World Cup Woo

Mods, feel free to move this topic if I posted this in the wrong section, which I don't think I did.

Ok, so I've been hearing some bullcrap from our sports journalists yesterday saying that there is some "curse" going around with every single World Champion not being able to become world champion four years later (Italy & Brazil say Hi)...

My parents seem to be buying this ****. Yet when I tell them it's ********, they get pissed.

This is woo, right? I mean, come on...

For some reason, our sports journalists also seem to think that the UK is going to win the World cup, because:

1. They did it in 1966
2. in that same year, Burnley FC qualified itself for european football, just like this season
3. Chelsea ended 5th, just like at the end of this season
4. Real Madrid won the Champions league and in 1966, they won the European Cup (former name of the Champions League)

The only person not buying this crap, is Jan Mulder (incase someone doesn't know who this guy is).

"And belief in conspiracy theories is not the function of a higher intellect." - BStrong

Last edited by tinribmancer; 29th June 2018 at 01:39 AM. Reason: wrong cup name.
tinribmancer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2018, 04:47 AM   #2
smartcooky
Philosopher

Originally Posted by tinribmancer View Post
Ok, so I've been hearing some bullcrap from our sports journalists yesterday saying that there is some "curse" going around with every single World Champion not being able to become world champion four years later (Italy & Brazil say Hi)...
Its not a curse, and its not all the time, but it is a remarkable coincidence. In four of the last five tournaments, the Champions have failed to get past the group stage of the following tournament.

1998 Champions France failed in 2002
2006 Champions Italy failed in 2010
2010 Champions Spain failed in 2014
2014 Champions Germany in 2018

and in the fifth, 2002 Champions Brazil failed at the quarter final in 2006

The last back to back Champions were Brazil (1958 & 62) and before that, Italy (1934 & 38)
As democracy is perfected, the office represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. We move toward a lofty ideal. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.
- Henry Louis Mencken - Baltimore Evening Sun, July 26, 1920
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2018, 06:37 AM   #3
tinribmancer

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Its not a curse, and its not all the time, but it is a remarkable coincidence. In four of the last five tournaments, the Champions have failed to get past the group stage of the following tournament.

1998 Champions France failed in 2002
2006 Champions Italy failed in 2010
2010 Champions Spain failed in 2014
2014 Champions Germany in 2018

and in the fifth, 2002 Champions Brazil failed at the quarter final in 2006

The last back to back Champions were Brazil (1958 & 62) and before that, Italy (1934 & 38)
That's exactly what I've said aswell, a coincidence. Don't really get the whole "let's hope it's a curse" excitement (you should've seen the excitement on Karl Vannieuwkerke's (that's the hosts name) face after saying the word "curse") during the show.

"And belief in conspiracy theories is not the function of a higher intellect." - BStrong
tinribmancer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2018, 06:41 AM   #4
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Do they have an octopus predicting outcomes this time?
Old 29th June 2018, 09:05 AM   #5
Hevneren
Thinker

For some reason, our sports journalists also seem to think that the UK is going to win the World cup, because:
The UK is certainly not going to win the World Cup. England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland are separate FIFA members.
Hevneren is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2018, 10:07 AM   #6
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Being superstitious about sport is part of the fun of enjoying sport. Some people take sport too seriously, and thus take their sport superstitions too seriously. For some people, that extra seriousness, too, is part of the fun. But it takes a special kind of curmudgeon to want to debunk sport superstitions.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2018, 10:50 AM   #7
tinribmancer

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
The octopus thing from 8 years ago was really funny. Some country (forgot which one) had something similar during the 2014 world cup, but I forgot what it was.

Kind of hoping to see something like that again, although this should've already be known if there was some sort of match predicting animal.

Old 29th June 2018, 04:51 PM   #8
Seismosaurus
Philosopher

Nothing woo about that! That octopus obviously had inside information!
Old 29th June 2018, 05:59 PM   #9
Belgian thought
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Seismosaurus View Post
Nothing woo about that! That octopus obviously had inside information!
...and eight legs to stand on its argument.

It's Friday
Old 30th June 2018, 12:28 AM   #10
Venom
Graduate Poster

My money is on Lenin's embalmed corpse.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th June 2018, 01:41 AM   #11
ddt
Mafia Penguin

Dutch public TV have employed Messi to do the predicting.

For those who didn't click the link: Messi is a dachshund and he has to choose between three kennels set up in the studio
"I think it is very beautiful for the poor to accept their lot, to share it with the passion of Christ. I think the world is being much helped by the suffering of the poor people." - "Saint" Teresa, the lying thieving Albanian dwarf

"I think accuracy is important" - Vixen
ddt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th June 2018, 05:58 AM   #12
Senex
Philosopher

it's not woo if it's true.
Senex is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th June 2018, 01:15 PM   #13
autumn1971
Master Poster

Don't know about predictions, but a lot of players must be masters of qi powers. There's guys being totally incapacitated if they're within a few feet of another player.
'A knave; a rascal; an eater of broken meats; a base, proud, shallow, beggardly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave; a lily-livered, action-taking knave, a whoreson, glass-gazing, superservicable, finical rogue;... the son and heir of a mongral bitch: one whom I will beat into clamorous whining, if thou deniest the least syllable of thy addition."'
-The Bard
autumn1971 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th June 2018, 05:39 PM   #14
Nakani
Muse

I thought, OH it's on, the grass withered up!
Nakani is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th June 2018, 07:12 PM   #15
Steve
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Nakani View Post
: thumbsup:
Old 30th June 2018, 08:01 PM   #16
gerdbonk
Penultimate Amazing

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula
Originally Posted by Nakani View Post
Quick, who's on the blind list?!

Was this on a Thursday?!

Disavow any knowledge of my twitter here.
gerdbonk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st July 2018, 01:23 PM   #17
Nay_Sayer
I say nay!

Originally Posted by gerdbonk View Post
Quick, who's on the blind list?!

Was this on a Thursday?!
Everyone here, Which is why I being the benevolent soul I am, Today only, I am selling these genuine braille Iskep forum books. These books are mailed to your home containing every new post that was made the previous month.

Just 56.99$ USD and then a small monthly payment of 13.42$USD
----------------------------------------------
“That which can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.” -Christopher Hitchens-
Nay_Sayer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2018, 07:11 AM   #18
Drewbot
Philosopher

Octopi should only be used for sports, if they are being thrown on the ice at a Red Wings home game. This brings good luck to the team, and also prevents the witches that live beneath the ice from escaping, and making the Red Wings lose.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtE7eFcKvvs
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2018, 10:56 AM   #19
CORed
Philosopher

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Being superstitious about sport is part of the fun of enjoying sport. Some people take sport too seriously, and thus take their sport superstitions too seriously. For some people, that extra seriousness, too, is part of the fun. But it takes a special kind of curmudgeon to want to debunk sport superstitions.
Definitely this. I certainly don't take things like "The Curse of the Bambino" (Red Sox couldn't win a World Series (until they did) because they traded Babe Ruth to the Yankees.) seriously, but I think they're part of the fun.

BTW, you know you should never mention when a pitcher has a no-hitter going, because if you do, you'll jinx him and he'll give up a hit (or maybe a bunch of them).
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd July 2018, 05:39 AM   #20
Greebo
Thinker

They do, and they don't - it's now gone to market. The owner thought it might get more money that way
Greebo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd July 2018, 07:07 AM   #21
ddt
Mafia Penguin

Originally Posted by Greebo View Post
They do, and they don't
Schrödinger's octopus?
"I think it is very beautiful for the poor to accept their lot, to share it with the passion of Christ. I think the world is being much helped by the suffering of the poor people." - "Saint" Teresa, the lying thieving Albanian dwarf

"I think accuracy is important" - Vixen
ddt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd July 2018, 10:53 AM   #22
Imhotep
Muse

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Yeah, pretty much agree. I worked with an extremely intelligent programmer a few years back; witty, wise, and eloquent - but when it came to English Football he was a superstitious mess. Example: he went to the bathroom at a bar we went to this one time, and his team (Chelsea) scored while he was in there. He literally tried the same trick next time to see if he could influence the game.

He would get on your case if you said something like "Chelsea's got this one" before the match was over. We all knew it was a joke but it was fun times.
Imhotep is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2018, 09:53 AM   #23
xjx388
Philosopher

Mods, feel free to move this topic if I posted this in the wrong section, which I don't think I did.

My parents seem to be buying this ****. Yet when I tell them it's ********, they get pissed.

This is woo, right? I mean, come on...

1. They did it in 1966
2. in that same year, Burnley FC qualified itself for european football, just like this season
3. Chelsea ended 5th, just like at the end of this season
4. Real Madrid won the Champions league and in 1966, they won the European Cup (former name of the Champions League)

The only person not buying this crap, is Jan Mulder (incase someone doesn't know who this guy is).
Well, there goes that prediction based on coincident conditions. Being that England is not going to be the Champion this year, have your journalists issued any retractions?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal