ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags snakes

Old 28th April 2006, 10:15 AM   #201
Ripley Twenty-Nine
Muse

Originally Posted by Rolfe View Post
A link to an example would be interesting, if anyone has one.

Rolfe.
I'm going to have to check that one on Snopes. I think that's just an Urban Legend.

By the way, great thread everyone. It shows that skeptics have the potential to be just as pig-headed and evasive and the wooest woo.. Something we should all strive to avoid.
Ripley Twenty-Nine is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th April 2006, 10:22 AM   #202
LW
Master Poster

Here, around posts 11-14.
LW is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th April 2006, 10:31 AM   #203
Rolfe
Anti-homeopathy illuminati member

Originally Posted by LW View Post
Here, around posts 11-14.
Thanks. Noticed instantly, and just possible to pass it off as a sort of joke. No actual dispute, or defence of an untenable position involved. Hmmmm....

Rolfe.
Old 28th April 2006, 12:37 PM   #204
HarryKeogh

Rolfe.
http://206.225.95.123/forumlive/show...on+color+black

posts 9 and 10. I remember it well as I got him to make an unqualified acknowledgement of his error.
HarryKeogh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th April 2006, 02:06 PM   #205
NoZed Avenger
Penultimate Amazing

One thing Mr. Larsen has, however, is discipline.

When he decides that he had better avoid posting in a thread, as it appears he may have done on the morning of April 26, 2006, for example (or through most of December and January in my thread example above), then he just stops posting there.

I think ithe threads get dropped because chasing someone from thread to thread with questions takes a lot of time and effort, and no one wants to (a) put in that time/work, and (b) look like that big a jerk.

Well, almost no one.

ETA Capitalization

Last edited by NoZed Avenger; 28th April 2006 at 02:43 PM.
NoZed Avenger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th April 2006, 02:26 PM   #206
Rolfe

Originally Posted by HarryKeogh View Post
http://206.225.95.123/forumlive/show...on+color+black

posts 9 and 10. I remember it well as I got him to make an unqualified acknowledgement of his error.
Well played, old chap! Though again I notice it was something extremely factual, and the correction, while it didn't occur immediately, did come before he'd painted himself into a corner.
Originally Posted by NoZed Avenger View Post
One thing Mr. Larsen has, however, is discipline.

when he decides that he had better avoid posting in a thread, as it appears he may have done on the morning of April 26, 2006, for example (or through most of December and January in my thread example above), then he just stops posting there.

I think ithe threads get dropped because chasing someone from thread to thread with questions takes a lot of time and effort, and no one wants to (a) put in that time/work, and (b) look like that big a jerk.

Well, almost no one.
Er, still wondering who you're referring to, here....

Never mind, as I said, all this started with Claus's declaration that Steve's absence from threads where Claus felt he should be answering questions (posed in a very snide and oblique fashion, by the way), was "evidence that Steve still runs away from the old questions." So I think we know how to interpret such absences, don't you?

We've got a perfectly good Larsen list above to link to now, just in case he starts with that sort of accusation again.

Rolfe.
Old 28th April 2006, 02:43 PM   #207
NoZed Avenger
Penultimate Amazing

Er, still wondering who you're referring to, here....
CFL, and, to some extent, myself.
NoZed Avenger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th April 2006, 03:06 PM   #208
Rolfe

CFL, and, to some extent, myself.
Wot, not yours truly?

The irony is that while I had looked at the OP of this thread when Claus first posted it my only reaction was a big "what's that all about", as I simply couldn't see why any poorly-reported tale in the Sun (of all places) which got its facts wrong on snake anatomy was worth starting a thread about. However, days later, I was badgering Claus about his extremely annoying and disruptive vendetta against Steve, in which he felt entitled to hijack any thread he fancied with snide "Hi Steve" greetings (which he then admitted meant that he was demanding multiple apologies from Steve, and admissions of past errors), and to confuse all and sundry by bumping two-year-old threads with nothing but an oblique one-liner (and often the relevant perceived unanswered question was nowhere near the end of the thread). Claus repeatedly claimed that Steve's failure to rise to any of that bait was evidence that he refused to answer the questions. In support of this contention, Claus then linked back to this thread, citing Steve's willingness to engage in conversation with him about snakes as further "evidence that he still runs away from the old questions".

I clicked on the link, was surprised by where I found myself, then remembered that Claus was the one who had started the thread, and that Steve's hobby interest is well known to be snakes. I added that up, and the fact that Claus seemed to consider it some sort of victory to have induced Steve to engage in any sort of conversation with him, and the fact that Danish Dynamite had shortly before that referred to Claus as "machiavellian", put two and two together and got about 12.

I don't suppose he'll be back here, but he might be a bit more circumspect about rudely pursuing people with demands that silly questions be answered.

Rolfe.

Last edited by Rolfe; 28th April 2006 at 03:09 PM.
Rolfe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th April 2006, 06:37 PM   #209
NoZed Avenger
Penultimate Amazing

I don't suppose he'll be back here, but he might be a bit more circumspect about rudely pursuing people with demands that silly questions be answered.
Rolfe, Rolfe, Rolfe.

That's noble, but I must point you to some of the quotes I used from Claus in the Democracy thread I referenced above:

Quote:
All we need is evidence.
You have it? I want to see it.
You claim to have it, but can't provide it? I'm your worst f****ng nightmare.

- CFLarsen

So, you really think it is not dishonest to jump in and out of discussions, answering only the points that are comfortable to you?
Fascinating.

- CFLarsen 6/1/04

When am I to understand that they have indicated that they are not interested in answering my questions? When they deflect the questions? When they demonstrably evade the questions?

Should we accept this kind of behavior? We don't accept this from Sylvia Browne: Oh, no, we all agree that her desperate attempts of avoiding the JREF Challenge is desssssssssspicable. Yet, we accept this from people if they make their claims here.

It is inconsequential. Even hypocritical.

-CFLarsen

If there is no answer, the question should be repeated.
-CFLarsen

How do you suggest that we find answers? Or do you think that we should let everything blow in the wind? Is it OK for people to walk away from their claims, and even repeat them later, as if no objections or counterarguments had been made?
-CFLarsen 5/31/04

Shouldn't we apply critical thinking to all claims that can be determined objectively? Or is it merely you whom we cannot demand evidence of?
- CFLarsen 1/7/05

And one of my favorites:

Quote:
Ask not of others what you aren't prepared to do yourself.
- CFLarsen 11/16/05

So you may call me cynical, but I doubt that Mr. Larsen will be any more circumspect now. Indeed, my thread is hardly the first to point out the same problem that you are noting -- you can find similar ones dating back to early 2004, and probably even earlier.

Nevertheless, a good effort and goal.

N/A

Last edited by NoZed Avenger; 28th April 2006 at 06:39 PM.
Old 29th April 2006, 01:04 AM   #210
Orphia Nay
Penguilicious Spodmaster.
Tagger

Location: Ponylandistan Presidential Palace (above the Spods' stables).
I couldn't possibly imagine how a thread I first read nearly 4 weeks ago could still be going without it stating how to win it (trolls and CTists notwithstanding).

I have one word in comment:
Equivocation.
Orphia Nay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th April 2006, 07:25 AM   #211
Rolfe

Rolfe, Rolfe, Rolfe.

That's noble, but I must point you to some of the quotes I used from Claus in the Democracy thread I referenced above:....

So you may call me cynical, but I doubt that Mr. Larsen will be any more circumspect now. Indeed, my thread is hardly the first to point out the same problem that you are noting -- you can find similar ones dating back to early 2004, and probably even earlier.

Nevertheless, a good effort and goal.

N/A
Why, thank you sir! (Takes a bow.)

I'm sort of interested to see what happens if another post of Claus's to that effect is met with a link to the "Larsen list" above, and the observation thati asked first, and goose and gander sauce and so on. On the other hand, he's so bloody rude sometimes that maybe I just can't be arsed.

Seems likely that this has also been tried before, but I didn't see the results. Like I said, he has the hide of a rhinocerous.

Rolfe.
Old 29th April 2006, 07:54 AM   #212
T'ai Chi
Penultimate Amazing

You know woo talking to Steve about reptiles is like Hoyt trying to talk to Rolfe about vet stuff.
T'ai Chi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th April 2006, 08:30 AM   #213
NoZed Avenger
Penultimate Amazing

I'm sort of interested to see what happens if another post of Claus's to that effect is met with a link to the "Larsen list" above, and the observation thati asked first, and goose and gander sauce and so on. On the other hand, he's so bloody rude sometimes that maybe I just can't be arsed.

Seems likely that this has also been tried before, but I didn't see the results. Like I said, he has the hide of a rhinocerous.
You can check the messages left just since he decided to abandon this thread and flee the field.

I'll give three to one that in that period of time you'll find at least one demand to answer questions; bonus points if he's thrown in an accusation of cowardice for failing to answer to his satisfaction or included a demand to just answer "yes or no."

Any takers?
Old 30th April 2006, 08:34 AM   #214
SteveGrenard
Philosopher

You can check the messages left just since he decided to abandon this thread and flee the field.

I'll give three to one that in that period of time you'll find at least one demand to answer questions; bonus points if he's thrown in an accusation of cowardice for failing to answer to his satisfaction or included a demand to just answer "yes or no."

Any takers?
see the NDE thread
SteveGrenard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th April 2006, 09:02 AM   #215
Rolfe

Steve, I'm not psychic - a link would be nice.

I've already thrown the link to that post at him twice in the Susan Blackmore thread, the first time about five minutes after my last post here, when he had the gall to ask me "Do you want more time?", when I had in fact addressed all his questions. He seems to think that any criticism of a rabidly scaremongering "we're all doomed with in a few decades and we'll have to barricade the island and decide who gets to live" article makes one a global warming denier, and one can then be challenged on that basis.

Whatamaroon.

By the way, when he replied to my post, he simply cut out the link to this thread from the quote, and ignored it. Anyone surprised?

Rolfe.
Old 30th April 2006, 09:09 AM   #216
SteveGrenard
Philosopher

Steve, I'm not psychic - a link would be nice.

I've already thrown the link to that post at him twice in the Susan Blackmore thread, the first time about five minutes after my last post here, when he had the gall to ask me "Do you want more time?", when I had in fact addressed all his questions. He seems to think that any criticism of a rabidly scaremongering "we're all doomed with in a few decades and we'll have to barricade the island and decide who gets to live" article makes one a global warming denier, and one can then be challenged on that basis.
http://www.internationalskeptics.com...24#post1608224

Quote:
By the way, when he replied to my post, he simply cut out the link to this thread from the quote, and ignored it. Anyone surprised?

Rolfe.
No
SteveGrenard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th April 2006, 09:59 AM   #217
Rolfe

Originally Posted by SteveGrenard View Post
It's OK, I got it. Bloody hell, he's incredible. I don't really know why you bother.

Interesting thread, it's that Blackmore woman again. She does seem to be a sacred cow, doesn't she! I'd never heard of her until Diamond linked to the apocalypse article, but she doesn't seem to have a great critical mind if you ask me.

Claus acknowledged my second link to this thread with "totally irrelevant". We'll see how he handles the third.

Rolfe.
Old 30th April 2006, 08:14 PM   #218
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by MRC_Hans View Post
[Rubs eyes] Do I see two grown men discussing, at length, whether whatever a snake has is to be termed "eyelids" or not?

Hans
I'm only at page 2 of this thread, and I think I'll stop here. This kind of argument always puts me in mind of a legal case I read about many years ago. I have never confirmed whether it's real or not. It was supposedly a 1965 Canadian Supreme court case in Toronto, called "Regina Vs. Ojibway," in which the crown appealed an acquittal, in which a part goes like this:

Quote:
Fred Ojibway, an Indian, was riding his pony through Queen's Park on January 2, 1965. Being impoverished, and having been forced to pledge his saddle, he substituted a downy pillow in lieu of the said saddle. On this particular day the accused's misfortune was further heightened by the circumstance of his pony breaking its right foreleg. In accord with current Indian custom, the accused then shot the pony to relieve it of its awkwardness.

The accused was then charged with having breached the Small Birds Act....
The original court had acquitted Ojibway, but the attorney for the Crown, perhaps a long-lost relative of Mr. Larsen, put up a strong and well detailed argument for why a pony with a feather pillow can be legally considered a small bird. Crown's appeal was allowed.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st May 2006, 10:06 AM   #219
SteveGrenard
Philosopher

Some follow-up of info on the snake in question, further compensation being sought by snake offended Tina :

from ANOVA News website:

Quote:
I was shaking and so terrified that I could feel my heart racing. I had to have a cup of tea to calm down - and then I felt sick."

Tina's husband David, 33, took the reptile to a vet in Halstead, Essex, where it is being kept.

Experts believe it is a non-venomous horseshoe snake.They can bite humans - leaving teeth marks in a characteristic horseshoe shape.

Tina complained to Tesco where she bought the veg and was sent an apology and 50 in vouchers. But she is seeking further compensation.

Bosses launched an inquiry to find out how the snake got into the broccoli, which came from Spain.

Tesco said: "This obviously caused a bit of a shock. Our suppliers are going to review quality-checking procedures to ensure this cannot happen again."
]

Last edited by SteveGrenard; 1st May 2006 at 10:15 AM.
Old 1st May 2006, 12:21 PM   #220
Meffy
Illuminator

I suggest that as further compensation she be sent three cases of Kelloog's Corn Snakes.

[silly picture omitted to avoid further traumatizing herpetophobes ;-)]
Meffy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2006, 05:51 AM   #221
NoZed Avenger
Penultimate Amazing

Looks like "full retreat" mode.

No posts since April 26th; we're onto the "pretending the thread doesn't exist" stage.

Oh, well.
Old 2nd May 2006, 06:49 AM   #222
SteveGrenard
Philosopher

He moved his attack over to here:

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...59#post1612259
Old 2nd May 2006, 06:50 AM   #223
EHocking
Philosopher

Some follow-up of info on the snake in question, further compensation being sought by snake offended Tina :

from ANOVA News website:
As a fan of ULs I just love the emerging morphing of Googled info that (all) non-venomous snake bites leave a horseshoe shaped bite mark to "characteristic" of the Horseshoe whipsnake. Named for actually for the horseshoe pattern it's scales make.
"It's all god's handiwork, there's little quality control applied", Fox26 reporter on Texas granite
Forum Birdwatching Webpage

Last edited by EHocking; 2nd May 2006 at 06:55 AM.
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th May 2006, 11:22 AM   #224
HarryKeogh

Claus...are you going to answer Rolfe's questions?
HarryKeogh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th May 2006, 01:26 PM   #225
NoZed Avenger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by HarryKeogh View Post
Claus...are you going to answer Rolfe's questions?

This was rhetorical, right?
Old 5th May 2006, 08:15 PM   #226
Pal2
Scholar

So what was the error?
Pal2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th May 2006, 11:19 PM   #227
Euromutt
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Pal2 View Post
So what was the error?
As far as I can make out, the error to which Claus alluded was indeed that snakes can't open their eyes (on account of not being able to close them, on account of not having what almost everyone in the world with one notable exception would call eyelids).
"Sergeant Colon had had a broad education. Hed been to the School of My Dad Always Said, the College of It Stands to Reason, and was now a post-graduate student at the University of What Some Bloke In the Pub Told Me." - Terry Pratchett, Jingo

by birth, by choice
Euromutt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2006, 05:01 PM   #228
NoZed Avenger
Penultimate Amazing

Has anyone noticed a change?

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...ad.php?t=57038

Edited to try and fix url

Last edited by NoZed Avenger; 18th May 2006 at 06:25 PM.
Old 18th May 2006, 05:03 PM   #229
NotJesus
Unsaviory

Your link isn't working.
NotJesus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2006, 05:22 PM   #230
Rolfe

Yeah, do tell. He seems to be right back in "any text means exactly what I say it means, irrespective of the actual content" mode, in the Susan Blackmore climate change thread.

Please post a clear link.

Rolfe.

PS. We had a snake in for post mortem yesterday and I took the opportunity to have a good look at the eyes. It was a white reticulated python, by the way, which had had to be put down because it was paralysed. It took quite a bit of poking to be certain that one had seen the spectacle. I had rather thought the structure was more obvious. In fact the rim round the eyes was very similar to a mammal, but it just didn't hold moveable eyelids. Then there was a very definite (sorry, I'm hazy about the terminology and my anatomy books are in the lab but I think palpebral fossa?, anyway, the space you'd put eye drops in). I hadn't expected that. The spectacle, when visualised, appeared to us amateurs to resemble a continuation of the conjunctiva across the cornea more than any sort of eyelid.

Steve, I'd be grateful for your comments on this. Unfortunately my browser is currently refusing to display graphics so I'm a bit stymied.

Last edited by Rolfe; 18th May 2006 at 05:45 PM.
Rolfe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2006, 06:25 PM   #231
NoZed Avenger
Penultimate Amazing

Has anyone noticed a change?

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...ad.php?t=57038

Edited to try and fix url
That one should work. My apologies. Long day at work.
Old 18th May 2006, 07:06 PM   #232
SteveGrenard
Philosopher

PS. We had a snake in for post mortem yesterday and I took the opportunity to have a good look at the eyes. It was a white reticulated python, by the way, which had had to be put down because it was paralysed. It took quite a bit of poking to be certain that one had seen the spectacle. I had rather thought the structure was more obvious. In fact the rim round the eyes was very similar to a mammal, but it just didn't hold moveable eyelids. Then there was a very definite (sorry, I'm hazy about the terminology and my anatomy books are in the lab but I think palpebral fossa?, anyway, the space you'd put eye drops in). I hadn't expected that. The spectacle, when visualised, appeared to us amateurs to resemble a continuation of the conjunctiva across the cornea more than any sort of eyelid.

Steve, I'd be grateful for your comments on this. Unfortunately my browser is currently refusing to display graphics so I'm a bit stymied.
Since palpebral refers to eyelids and snakes don't have any I am not familiar with the use of this term for snakes. You can't get drops into the eye through the potential space circling the orbit.

I have found an excellent cross section of the snakes eye from Richard Shine in Australia. It is a pdf so maybe your browser/pc will "see" graphics downloaded this way:

www.bio.usyd.edu.au/Shinelab/shine/reprints/402originofsnakes.pdf

Treating a snake's eyes is a problem as they are effectively sealed/prevented from the instillation of medicines such as eye drops. The eyecap or spectacle is continuous with the top layer of skin which becomes "cuticle" and is shed in one piece (including the eye cap) periodically.

Picture of a Shed Snake Skin showing the eye cap intact:

http://www.geocities.com/happyherps/shedding.html

There are vets researching the snake's eye. I have heard they are developing techniques to breech the eyecap for direct treatment. Right now injected or oral meds that have a systemic effect are used to treat such things as eye infections which are rare but not unknown. Due to the spectacle a snakes' eyes are well protected against most insults other than trauma. Occasionally a poor shed fails to allow for the eyecap to be removed and it has to be carefully removed with a forceps after it is allowed to soften by soaking the animal first.

http://www.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/whatsnew/article2.cfm?id=1456

If you put down a python with flaccid paralysis you must suspect a highly infectious common disease of boas and pythons (boids) called inclusion body disease or IBD. Other symptoms are also present but paralysis is commonly seen in younger animals which I suppose in a retic could be less than 6 feet or so.

Deficiency diseases in snakes are rare since they get everything they need by eating whole rodents and don't need sunlight to metabolize calcium. That is unless they are sick and not eating at all.

http://duke.usask.ca/~misra/virology...xotic/ibd.html

Last edited by SteveGrenard; 18th May 2006 at 07:18 PM.
Old 18th May 2006, 07:52 PM   #233
Rolfe

Since palpebral refers to eyelids and snakes don't have any I am not familiar with the use of this term for snakes. You can't get drops into the eye through the potential space circling the orbit.
You could have in this case. I was quite surprised. I don't know what the correct terminology is here, I was merely trying to establish the description of what I was referring to.
I have found an excellent cross section of the snakes eye from Richard Shine in Australia. It is a pdf so maybe your browser/pc will "see" graphics downloaded this way:

www.bio.usyd.edu.au/Shinelab/shine/reprints/402originofsnakes.pdf
Thanks, that did indeed work. Unfortunately the structure I was talking about isn't labelled on the diagram, although it is depicted. The reflexive "flaps" shown at either side of the spectacle. These were rather more prominent than is implied in the diagram, and in fact gave the appearance of being vestigial eyelids without the actual lids. It's the space behind these flaps I was referring to. I didn't realise it was there at all, I had thought from the various descriptions that the spectacle was a simple continuation of the scaled skin without such flaps.
Treating a snake's eyes is a problem as they are effectively sealed/prevented from the instillation of medicines such as eye drops. The eyecap or spectacle is continuous with the top layer of skin which becomes "cuticle" and is shed in one piece (including the eye cap) periodically.

Picture of a Shed Snake Skin showing the eye cap intact:
http://www.geocities.com/happyherps/shedding.html
Well, of course trying to put eye drops in there would be of no practical use, because the spectacle prevents them from coming into contact with the cornea. I was merely describing what I saw as being like the place where eye drops go, not suggesting that one might use it for that purpose in the snake.

Unfortunately the graphics problem prevented me from accessing that picture.
If you put down a python with flaccid paralysis you must suspect a highly infectious common disease of boas and pythons (boids) called inclusion body disease or IBD. Other symptoms are also present but paralysis is commonly seen in younger animals which I suppose in a retic could be less than 6 feet or so.
That was on the list of differentials, I believe. Histopathology of the CNS is in hand.

The really creepy thing was, after the snake had been thoroughly dissected and its organs laid out on the table, it was noticed that the heart was contracting, about once or twice a minute. The technician said, cool! I said, spooky.

By the way, the vet who sent the body in for PM said that the snake was pyrexic. Snakes are poikilotherms, right? How can they be pyrexic - other than lying too long in the sun that is?

Rolfe.
Old 18th May 2006, 08:15 PM   #234
Rolfe

That one should work. My apologies. Long day at work.
Wow. There may be a difference in approach, but not in the superiority complex. Why was the alligator story such a trigger point with him anyway?

How do you think he's doing in the Susan Blackmore, climate change expert thread? Hagiography (if that's the right word), and insisting that she must have meant what he would have preferred her to have written, rather than what she actually wrote. Because she is a "True Skeptic" [TM], so every word must be defended to the last breath, no matter how batty. Even to the point where Claus now knows that he's referring to what she actually wrote, and I'm making things up.

Alice in Wonderland, anyone?

You're right, the scary thing is that Randi apparently likes and trusts this guy. I've seen less firmly closed minds on oysters.

Rolfe.

Last edited by Rolfe; 18th May 2006 at 08:25 PM.
Old 18th May 2006, 08:16 PM   #235
SteveGrenard
Philosopher

The really creepy thing was, after the snake had been thoroughly dissected and its organs laid out on the table, it was noticed that the heart wascontracting, about once or twice a minute. The technician said, cool! I said, spooky.
Since hearts have intrinsic pacemakers this is probably not unusual.

Quote:
By the way, the vet who sent the body in for PM said that the snake was pyrexic. Snakes are poikilotherms, right? How can they be pyrexic - other than lying too long in the sun that is?
Snakes are ectotherms and their body temperature varies with their substrate and air temperature. Poikilotherm derives from the Greek which translates to "variable temperature" which I don't feel is quite as accurate as ecotherm but I have seen poikilotherm used for amphibians, reptiles
and fish to differentiate them from birds and mammals which have a (normally) non-variable temperature. Reptiles do not have hypothalamic regulation of body temperature but they do thermoregulate by moving from warm to cool or from cool or warm locations. Snakes particularly do this to digest their food by lying on warm substrates (they even sell heating pads for part of a snake's cage to permit this) which is why we see them on the roads at night which retain the day's heat. As the heat dissipates they move off into the brush. There are studies that have observed reptiles with infections thermoregulating by moving to a warmer location technically making themselves hyperpyrexic.

I can't imagine this snake being hyperpyrexic unless the owner had kept the snake overheated with heating pads or lamps.

Last edited by SteveGrenard; 18th May 2006 at 08:24 PM.
Old 18th May 2006, 08:21 PM   #236
Rolfe

That's what I thought, niceties of terminology aside. I don't see how he could have taken a snake's temperature anyway. The mind boggles. (You're right, it wasn't an adult, wasn't a lot more then 3 feet.)

I suppose histopathology will reveal all, it usually does.

Rolfe.
Old 18th May 2006, 08:28 PM   #237
SteveGrenard
Philosopher

That's what I thought, niceties of terminology aside. I don't see how he could have taken a snake's temperature anyway. The mind boggles. (You're right, it wasn't an adult, wasn't a lot more then 3 feet.)

I suppose histopathology will reveal all, it usually does.

Rolfe.
Because this is a highly contagious disease until or unless it is confirmed or ruled out, you have to make sure everything used is well disinfected
or disposed of. If the owner has other snakes he should be cautioned...although frankly if the retrovirus is present in any other snakes he has there is nothing that can be done other to contain or isolate them and then euthanize them.

I guess the thermoregulating studies I recall were able to take the temperature with various probes. Sticking a thermomenter in the cloaca is probably not accurate. Maybe the snake just felt hot......maybe he had one of those stick on thermometers and he put it on the snakes forehead or something....

Last edited by SteveGrenard; 18th May 2006 at 08:30 PM.
Old 19th May 2006, 02:33 AM   #238
Rolfe

The term I was looking for is apparently conjunctival fornix. That snake had that, and indeed it is also implied in the diagram in the pdf file. As I said, if I had to describe the spectacle as anything, it looked like a continuation of the conjunctiva to cover the cornea. Interesting.

Ah, I'm getting that picture now, and the shed skin corresponds with what I saw on the dead snake. Interesting again, not quite what I'd envisaged from the bare descriptions. In spite of what the CD-ROM I quoted earlier said, the actual appearance of the spectacle is indeed very unlike anything one might think of describing as an eyelid, in my opinion.

Yes, yes, I know, but we don't see many snakes and I'm not a herpetologist, and I'd just never looked that closely at the eyes before.

Rolfe.

Last edited by Rolfe; 19th May 2006 at 02:38 AM.
Old 19th May 2006, 07:02 PM   #239
NoZed Avenger
Penultimate Amazing

Wow. There may be a difference in approach, but not in the superiority complex. Why was the alligator story such a trigger point with him anyway?
Americans and guns. It's like a red flag to a cartoon bull (as opposed to a real one, where the color doesn't matter).

Quote:
How do you think he's doing in the Susan Blackmore, climate change expert thread? Hagiography (if that's the right word), and insisting that she must have meant what he would have preferred her to have written, rather than what she actually wrote. Because she is a "True Skeptic" [TM], so every word must be defended to the last breath, no matter how batty. Even to the point where Claus now knows that he's referring to what she actually wrote, and I'm making things up.
I read part of that, and agree. It's particularly hard to understand the stated certainty and vehemence on her "true" intent when what is being presented is clearly an obvious veneer of pure guesses over a latticework of wishes and hopes.
Old 20th May 2006, 04:23 AM   #240
Rolfe

He's reappeared on that, still hugging his unique insights. I haven't time to do anything, feel free if you've got a moment.

Rolfe.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal