IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 21st September 2022, 07:14 AM   #1161
Steve
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Will people stop bumping this thread. It keeps making me think she has arisen to become our saviour!

As far as we know she is still dead.
As far as you know! You (we) have no idea what arcane goings on are conducted in that vault. There was no doubt a reason why they kept Phil there until she died.
Old 21st September 2022, 04:12 PM   #1162
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

I think we can all agree that her heart stopped?
If it hasn't, she's going to be pissed.
Old 21st September 2022, 04:33 PM   #1163
Steve
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
If it hasn't, she's going to be pissed.
Well, there were those muffled screams heard during the quieter parts of the service.
Old 21st September 2022, 11:25 PM   #1164
bluesjnr
Professional Nemesis for Hire

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Well, there were those muffled screams heard during the quieter parts of the service.
Where was Prince Andrew at the time?
bluesjnr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd September 2022, 01:04 AM   #1165
erwinl
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Rolfe View Post
Hell with that tame stuff.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
If you want to do away with the tame stuff with pipers, there's nothing like a bunch of overly fat German guys doing some Medieval Rock stuff.
I've once heard them live. It was......loud, very loud!

I AGREE
Old 22nd September 2022, 03:00 AM   #1166
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
<sfx thump, thump, thump> 'Can someone turn down those bleeding bagpipes?! Some of us are trying to sleep!!! Thanks awfully. Frightfully kind of you.'

Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd September 2022, 04:02 AM   #1167
Rolfe
Adult human female

Originally Posted by erwinl View Post
If you want to do away with the tame stuff with pipers, there's nothing like a bunch of overly fat German guys doing some Medieval Rock stuff.
I've once heard them live. It was......loud, very loud!

I AGREE

That's quite something!

Somewhere I have photos of a guy playing the pipes in Holyrood park. He has them rigged up to a calor gas canister and it looks as if flames are coming out of the ends of the drones. (It's actually separate pipes led up the side of the drones.)
Old 22nd September 2022, 05:06 AM   #1168
erwinl
Illuminator

That's quite something!

Somewhere I have photos of a guy playing the pipes in Holyrood park. He has them rigged up to a calor gas canister and it looks as if flames are coming out of the ends of the drones. (It's actually separate pipes led up the side of the drones.)
Yeah,
Schelmish give quite the show.
But as said, They're loud. Very loud.

In fairness, the main speaker of them (the fat guy to the left of the skinny midget player), did warn us. 'We're going to play. We're going to have a lot of fun and let's make some noise!'
In the end the children thought it was too loud, so after Aequnoctium, we went to the car park, seeing as it was the end show of the day.
When we finally arrived at the car, we looked at eacht other and all agreed that it finally sounded about loud enough, where we were then.
I just measured the distance on Google Maps. The car was parked about 800 meters from the stage, where they were still playing!

That fire spitting piper at Holyrood is most likely the 'Bad Piper', I guess.
As I understood it, he's an Australian.
Seen here in 2011 in Edinburgh
I AGREE

Last edited by erwinl; 22nd September 2022 at 05:07 AM.
erwinl is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd September 2022, 05:12 AM   #1169
Rolfe
Adult human female

Yes, I think that's the same guy. I spoke to him but I didn't register that he had an Australian accent.
Old 22nd September 2022, 06:08 AM   #1170
erwinl
Illuminator

Yes, I think that's the same guy. I spoke to him but I didn't register that he had an Australian accent.
Maybe he was under cover in Ediburgh.

Going back to the Queen's funeral.

I thought the lone piper, playng, slowly walking away during (of was it just after?) the Queen's coffin was lowered, the music going quieter and quieter and him finally going 'exit stage left', was a real nice and touching ending to the entire day.
That was very well done as a mood setting (or more ending) scene.
Old 22nd September 2022, 06:15 AM   #1171
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

I thought the lone piper, playng, slowly walking away during (of was it just after?) the Queen's coffin was lowered, the music going quieter and quieter and him finally going 'exit stage left', was a real nice and touching ending to the entire day.
I agree, that was very evocative.
Old 22nd September 2022, 06:17 AM   #1172
Rolfe
Adult human female

Didn't watch it. I wouldn't have minded seeing it, but I'd have had to turn the sound off, and watching TV with the sound off gets boring pretty quickly. I listened to CDs, because even the radio had succumbed by that time.
Old 22nd September 2022, 06:39 AM   #1173
LondonJohn
Penultimate Amazing

Well, I guess the Royal Household’s very sizeable PR/press/comms team had had a good few decades to plan that one……
LondonJohn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd September 2022, 06:39 AM   #1174
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Didn't watch it. I wouldn't have minded seeing it, but I'd have had to turn the sound off, and watching TV with the sound off gets boring pretty quickly. I listened to CDs, because even the radio had succumbed by that time.
The entire funeral is showing here - you could forward to the end?

I AGREE

Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd September 2022, 06:45 AM   #1175
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

The BBC broadcast it without any commentary as well as their usual blather version. That may be available on iPlayer?
Old 22nd September 2022, 07:37 AM   #1176
Mojo
Mostly harmless

That's quite something!

Somewhere I have photos of a guy playing the pipes in Holyrood park. He has them rigged up to a calor gas canister and it looks as if flames are coming out of the ends of the drones.

I’ve seen a guy busking in London doing much the same, but with a tuba.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd September 2022, 07:58 AM   #1177
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
The entire funeral is showing here - you could forward to the end?
Why, is there a surprise twist ending?
Old 22nd September 2022, 08:04 AM   #1178
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
At one point where a musical salute finished, a friend's 4 year old kid asked "Does the queen jump out of the coffin now?".

At least he understands how movie storytelling works, even if he doesn't yet quite get death.
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd September 2022, 10:05 AM   #1179
Myriad
The Clarity Is Devastating

Originally Posted by Jack by the hedge View Post
At one point where a musical salute finished, a friend's 4 year old kid asked "Does the queen jump out of the coffin now?".

At least he understands how movie storytelling works, even if he doesn't yet quite get death.

She doesn't jump out until the Royal Cranker inserts the ceremonial Bent Rod of Destiny into the socket on the coffin, and cranks out "Pop Goes the Weasel."
Old 22nd September 2022, 11:35 AM   #1180
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Not wishing to spoil anything but there does feature a big Monty Pythonesque foot.

Old 22nd September 2022, 11:37 AM   #1181
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

The Great British Queue

Glancing at the tabloids, it would appear that the No.1 takeaway and most memorable event of the entire Queen's funeral was...

...Holly and Phil jumping the queue.

How very apposite.

Old 22nd September 2022, 11:52 AM   #1182
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Whilst on this topic,

"Nominative Determinism Of The Week: The crowd science expert who designed and mapped out The Queue is called... Professor Keith Still!" ~ Pop Bitch

Old 23rd September 2022, 05:46 PM   #1183
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

I think I'm about to become a Celtic fan.

Of their fans, at the very least.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/celti...b0eac9f4e3011d
Old 23rd September 2022, 05:49 PM   #1184
Rolfe
Adult human female

You realise why they went for a minute's applause rather than a minute's silence in the first place, don't you?
Old 23rd September 2022, 11:32 PM   #1185
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

You realise why they went for a minute's applause rather than a minute's silence in the first place, don't you?
Do you?
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2022, 12:17 AM   #1186
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

The Great British Queue

Glancing at the tabloids, it would appear that the No.1 takeaway and most memorable event of the entire Queen's funeral was...

...Holly and Phil jumping the queue.

How very apposite.
What's he that wishes so?
My cousin, Westmorland? No, my fair cousin;
If we are mark'd to stand in line, we are enough
To do our country loss; and if to live,
The the longer queue, the greater share of honour.
God's will! I pray thee, wish not one man less.
By Jove, I am not covetous for gold,
Nor care I who doth feed upon my cost;
It yearns me not if men my garments wear;
Such outward things dwell not in my desires.
But if it be a sin to covet standing in really long lines,
I am the most offending soul alive.

Rather proclaim it, Westmorland, through my host,
That he which hath a wristband,
Let him depart; his passport shall be made,
And crowns for quick pint and bathroom break put into his purse;

He that outlives this day, and comes safe home,
Will stand a tip-toe when this day is nam'd,
And rouse him at the name of the Great British Queue.
He that shall live this day, and see old age,
Will yearly on the vigil feast his neighbours,
And say "To-morrow is St. Queueing's Day."
Then will he strip his socks and show his scars,
And say "These these fallen arches I got that day."
Old men forget; yet all shall be forgot,
But he'll remember, with advantages,
What sore feet he had that day.

We many, we happy man, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that queues with me
Shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile,
This day shall gentle his condition;
And gentlemen in England now a-bed
Shall think themselves accurs'd they were not here,
And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks
That stood in line with us upon Saint Queueing's day.
Old 24th September 2022, 01:56 AM   #1187
bluesjnr

Originally Posted by zooterkin View Post
Do you?
It's pretty evident from the link. Where are we going with this?

@ The Atheist - extra edgelord points are available if you support my team, Dundee United

https://www.heraldscotland.com/sport...es-box-chants/
bluesjnr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2022, 03:04 AM   #1188
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Not just the Scots, the Welsh have also been up in arms, so to speak. My Welsh friend was moaning:

Quote:
A bit of Welsh history from a nationalist perspective, taken from Michael Sheen…

September 16th in Wales is Owain Glyndwr Day after the last native, real, Prince of Wales. He led a rebellion against the English crown not only to free his nation as he saw it, but to create his nation.

Since Edward I, the conquerer’s first son, of this foreign nation, has been named Prince of Wales. This is regarded as symbolic an act of rebuke and punishment, and humiliation to Wales, and with the intent to stop a Welsh nation developing and emerging, which was the dream of Owain Glyndwr.

To put a wrong right, the title should be removed.

To quote Dylan Thomas from under Milk Wood:
Where you get that thing from, Willy?
Got it from my father, silly.
Give it back then, love.

King Charles visited Wales on Owain Glyndwr Day and cancelled it.

Footage from Cardiff is telling as the boos rang out.
But wait, Edward I was almost a thousand years ago.

Old 24th September 2022, 03:55 AM   #1189
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

So the Queen's ledger stone has been revealed. There is no headstone, as the Queen lies in a vault, rather than being buried below soil. There is no 'Rest in Peace', her being a protestant and RIP being a Catholic (i.e., Latin) thing. The ledger stone shows her mother's and father's name, date of birth and death, a symbol showing the Order of the Garter followed by Elizabeth II and Philip's, ditto.

Quote:
According to the Royal Family's official website, "In medieval times, King Edward III was so inspired by tales of King Arthur and the chivalry of the Knights of the Round Table that he set up his own group of honourable knights, called the Order of the Garter."
Fast forward almost 700 years, and you'll soon understand what the Order of the Garter and that metal star has to do with Queen Elizabeth II and her family. In modern times, the Order is made up of the reigning monarch (who is Sovereign of the Garter) as well as several senior members of the Royal Family and twenty-four knights chosen in recognition of their work.
https://www.cosmopolitan.com/uk/repo...estone-symbol/
How delightful! Romantic tales about King Arthur and his knights, alas, surely mythical.

Princess Margaret is the only one who (a) is cremated, (b) was not a member of the Order of the Garter and (c) has a cute rhyming epitaph.

Quote:
Unlike the rest of her family, Princess Margaret was cremated rather than buried (as is tradition) because there was "no room" left in the Chapel – the only remaining space had been reserved for Her Majesty. The other option was for Margaret to be buried in Frogmore in Windsor Great Park, where Queen Victoria and Prince Albert are buried, but a friend said she found this "very gloomy".

Nevertheless, Princess Margaret has her own memorial stone within the chapel, which – along with her name and dates of her birth and death – reads:

"We thank thee Lord, who by thy spirit doth our faith restore.
When we with worldly things commune and prayerless close our door,
we lose our precious gift divine to worship and adore.
Then thou our Saviour, fill our hearts to love thee evermore."
https://www.cosmopolitan.com/uk/repo...on-gravestone/

May I take the liberty of suggesting a charming epitaph for our dear departed Majesty?

"Here lieth Queen Elizabeth
Who lived a good life
and died a sad death."
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ledger stone.jpg (20.1 KB, 3 views)

Last edited by Vixen; 24th September 2022 at 03:59 AM.
Old 24th September 2022, 05:03 AM   #1190
Rolfe
Adult human female

Originally Posted by zooterkin View Post
Do you?

Because they knew that silence wouldn't happen. If by some amazing chance (or design) there was some silence, it would be interrupted by orchestrated abuse. So they thought that applause would drown out the abuse.
Old 24th September 2022, 05:14 AM   #1191
bluesjnr

Because they knew that silence wouldn't happen. If by some amazing chance (or design) there was some silence, it would be interrupted by orchestrated abuse. So they thought that applause would drown out the abuse.
Rolfe, it wouldn't have taken you but a few seconds to visit the link and understand that this was a planned action by a section of, bigoted, Celtic fans to protest against the fact St. Mirren had announced that there would be a minute of applause on their home field before the match — instead of a minute of silence — to honor the queen.

The Celtic fans sang, "if you hate the royal family clap your hands".... as the teams and St. Mirren fans did just that.
Old 24th September 2022, 05:50 AM   #1192
Rolfe
Adult human female

Yes, that's right. They wanted the silence so they could disrupt it, and then did what they could when the silence was denied them.

What is there about that you don't understand?
Old 24th September 2022, 09:37 AM   #1193
bluesjnr

Yes, that's right. They wanted the silence so they could disrupt it, and then did what they could when the silence was denied them.

What is there about that you don't understand?
You're nearly there, not quite but nearly.
Old 24th September 2022, 09:45 AM   #1194
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Not just the Scots, the Welsh have also been up in arms, so to speak. My Welsh friend was moaning:

But wait, Edward I was almost a thousand years ago.

Celts are not famous for dropping grudges too quickly, are they?
Old 24th September 2022, 10:14 AM   #1195
Rolfe
Adult human female

Just over 700 years actually.
Old 24th September 2022, 10:38 AM   #1196
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Just over 700 years actually.
A couple of thousand at least for some of us Brits.
Old 24th September 2022, 11:46 AM   #1197
Carrot Flower King
Illuminator

A couple of thousand at least for some of us Brits.
Damn right!

Bloody Normans! Bloody Saxons! Bloody Romans! Bloody Celts! And as for those Beaker Folk...

Oddly, I'm just reminded of a Stewart Lee routine...About him from the Ukips.
Carrot Flower King is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2022, 12:56 PM   #1198
catsmate
No longer the 1

For me the best procession music of the day was the Scottish and Irish bagpipes and drums. The bearskins brass band didn't compare.

I AGREE

Mist Covered Mountains - Queen Elizabeth Funeral March by the Scottish and Irish Pipes and Drums

Turn up the volume!
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2022, 06:52 AM   #1199
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-63078676

Quote:
Queen Elizabeth II died of old age, according to extracts from her death certificate.

It says she died at 15:10 BST in Balmoral Castle in Scotland on 8 September - she was 96.
Old 29th September 2022, 08:14 AM   #1200
Rolfe
Adult human female

Colour me entirely unsurprised.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events