IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags bigfoot

Old 19th August 2013, 02:00 PM   #241
eerok
Quixoticist

Originally Posted by Gilbert Syndrome View Post
If anyone cares to make a list of questions to ask Chris, pm me. Chris, feel free to pm a time/date, along with a contact #.
Now that you mention it, I'd like to know more about the group that Chris goes out with when he observes bigfoot. I think that if he really thinks he's seeing bigfoot, then someone in the chain of knowledge of this group's activities is hoaxing the group. I'm not saying this is Chris himself who's doing the hoaxing, but if he really thinks he's seeing bigfoot, he could very likely be a victim of hoaxing.

If one eliminates the hoaxes, pranks, jokes, misperceptions, social distortions, and mental illness from bigfoot sightings, there are none left that qualify as objective and verifiable evidence.

It is a stone cold fact that there's not a single bigfoot sighting that has led to anything close to unambiguous evidence that could possibly establish that bigfoot actually exists.

So I want to know who's fooling who in Chris's sightings.
Old 19th August 2013, 04:13 PM   #242
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

Originally Posted by Drewbot View Post
Chris claims to have worked at Alamogordo Primate Research Facility in New Mexico, where there are captive, African primates?

What does that have to do with the behavior of wild, unclassified, giant hairy primates living in the Farmlands, Dirtroads and Trailer parks of Kentucky?
I bet you can find plenty of wild, unclassified, giant hairy primates in the farmlands, dirt roads and trailer parks of Kentucky. Or does having a Kentucky drivers licence disqualify them?
Old 19th August 2013, 05:26 PM   #243
Monza
Alta Viro

Originally Posted by eerok View Post
Now that you mention it, I'd like to know more about the group that Chris goes out with when he observes bigfoot. I think that if he really thinks he's seeing bigfoot, then someone in the chain of knowledge of this group's activities is hoaxing the group. I'm not saying this is Chris himself who's doing the hoaxing, but if he really thinks he's seeing bigfoot, he could very likely be a victim of hoaxing.

If one eliminates the hoaxes, pranks, jokes, misperceptions, social distortions, and mental illness from bigfoot sightings, there are none left that qualify as objective and verifiable evidence.

It is a stone cold fact that there's not a single bigfoot sighting that has led to anything close to unambiguous evidence that could possibly establish that bigfoot actually exists.

So I want to know who's fooling who in Chris's sightings.

Good point. Bigfooters always try to claim that other animals are known to indigenous people, are sighted, but are unknown to science for a period of time. While this is true, it ignores the true comparison. How many of these animals, before being formally "discovered", were seen in virtually all 48 contiguous states, have groups specifically looking for them, yet leave absolutely no physical evidence?
Monza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th August 2013, 05:38 PM   #244
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

My main issue is with Chris,' supposedly, sole purpose in coming here: a "rebuttal to Munns' presentation." He's had it tenfold

Scouse saying - Go 'ed, is right, nice one, boss, well in, sound, belter, made up.

Usage: 'Go 'ed, lad, get us an ale in, nice one.'
Gilbert Syndrome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th August 2013, 06:10 PM   #245
ChrisBFRPKY
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Monza View Post
You may want to revisit the observation methods used by Gorilla researchers. Your new camera is a step in the right direction. Sadly, I expect that if you ever do post new pictures some day, they won't be any better. Bigfoot research is strange that way.
Only time will tell if other opportunities arise. I've learned from past mistakes and hopefully I won't repeat the same ones again.

I recently started looking at a new program called "Blurity" that helps sharpen blurry photos and video. I think I saw the link in one of SweatyYeti's posts on the BFF Interesting software.
ChrisBFRPKY is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th August 2013, 06:36 PM   #246
ChrisBFRPKY
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Gilbert Syndrome View Post
My main issue is with Chris,' supposedly, sole purpose in coming here: a "rebuttal to Munns' presentation." He's had it tenfold
I agree. I was looking for a counter presentation on specific points of Bill's presentation. But as you know most here either saw no movement of the two frames being discussed or simply posted negative opinions about Bill Munns and or attacked me personally instead of having a civilized discussion of the topic.
ChrisBFRPKY is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th August 2013, 07:18 PM   #247
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

Chris, what frames were ignored here? Seems the only relevant frames were ignored by you, y'know, all the clear diaper shots?

Scouse saying - Go 'ed, is right, nice one, boss, well in, sound, belter, made up.

Gilbert Syndrome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th August 2013, 07:37 PM   #248
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Is there any evidence that shows that Bigfootery is not a cult or some form of religion (quasi-)? Anything that disqualifies it from being that?

The behavior of the knowers and believers suggests that to me. And they seek each other for constant reassurance. It often seems that "we are not crazy" takes on more importance than the alleged creature.
Old 19th August 2013, 07:37 PM   #249
ChrisBFRPKY
Illuminator

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
Were there any Bigfoot denialists among the Native Americans. Did the knowers present bodies to show the doubters that they were wrong?

Did they have any mythical animals at all - and for those did they have believers/knowers vs skeptic/denialists? How did those Indians settle demands for proof amongst themselves and how does it relate to the present day situation with Bigfootery?
I'm really not qualified to answer those questions. I have an opinion that the Native Americans likely had a belief in a hairy man that lived in the forest.

It's a safe bet. According to NatGeo Alexander the Great on one of his travels thru Tibet, demanded to see a Yeti in 326 BC. Documented. 326 BC

I guess that makes Alexander either the first cryptozoologist or the first skeptic documented for unknown primate studies that I know of.

It makes it more likely that if other native cultures describe similar creatures as far back as 326 BC, it shouldn't be surprising if Native Americans shared a similar view of "hairy men". Again, that's just opinion though.
Old 19th August 2013, 07:42 PM   #250
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

The real Yeti of the Himalayas was never thought of by the locals as an ape, they saw it as a demon, an entity. We made the ape

Old 19th August 2013, 08:12 PM   #251
ChrisBFRPKY
Illuminator

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
Is there any evidence that shows that Bigfootery is not a cult or some form of religion (quasi-)? Anything that disqualifies it from being that?

The behavior of the knowers and believers suggests that to me. And they seek each other for constant reassurance. It often seems that "we are not crazy" takes on more importance than the alleged creature.
You know I think it is a cult for some. It seems to me there are alot of people that enjoy the company of persons that have shared a similar encounter with something unknown that shouldn't be there.

About any group of individuals can be described as a cult. Take your pick. As long as they don't hurt anyone, I'm unconcerned.

But, there are good people and bad people in every group. Some have an agenda seeking money. Many share different views and that's fine too. I'm not onboard with every encounter and every claim made and likewise don't expect everyone to take my word for what I've witnessed either. I'm skeptical, I find it difficult to consider any living biological being could open a dimension rift and disappear into thin air. That sounds more like some sort of 60's chemical flashback or trying to explain one mystery with another rather than evidence of anything biological.

Reassurance is present in most cults but is usually only sought out by those that place faith in a possibility IMO. Faith has nothing to do with my and many other encounters. I've seen the creatures and therefore I know they exist. That you don't accept that is acceptable to me. I guess one could surmise that every Bigfoot witness is either mistaken or insane, but that's not as likely as to surmise there may just be something out there we haven't got on the books yet. Ocaam's razor and such.
Old 19th August 2013, 10:02 PM   #252
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

I'm going to start NADRO.

North American Dragon Research Organization.

I'll be offering dragon expeditions for a small fee.

They were so widely depicted in the world, in art, stories, myths, and sculptures, that they must be real.

The world must have had quite a large breeding population.

Some varieties are surely still hiding in the jungles and deep woods of the world.

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2013, 01:56 AM   #253
Apology
This title intentionally left blank

I know it's tacky to quote myself, but would any of the Bigfoot knowers care to address this question? I think it got lost beneath the Native American Bigfoot legend talk:

Originally Posted by Apology View Post
Why were no Bigfoot bodies found during the Spanish Flu pandemic of 1918? The Spanish Flu killed 50 million - 100 million people worldwide. The bodies piled up so quickly that there wasn't enough room in the morgues, so the bodies were stacked like logs. There weren't enough coffins or gravediggers to deal with the influx of bodies.

Furthermore, recent studies have shown that monkeys are susceptible to the Spanish Flu as well. There's no reason to believe that a human/simian primate would be immune to the Spanish Flu. Birds and swine are susceptible to it as well, and research suggests that the virus originated within animal populations and was then transmitted to humans. Why weren't there any Bigfoot bodies found in the years before or after 1918? Why weren't there any "hairy men" found disabled by the flu, coughing themselves to death, with bloody foam coming from their noses and mouths?

Presumably if Bigfoot were near sudden death (the flu could kill victims hours after the first symptoms while some lived up to 2 days) it would forget all about being crafty and stealthy and lie down somewhere to focus on breathing and not dying. If Bigfoot were turning blue in the face and coughing so hard that it tore abdominal muscles, that would make it much easier for us to find Bigfoot and much harder for it to hide.
It's hard for me to believe that we haven't found a Bigfoot that was either seriously ill or dead from any fatal disease. Being near death greatly inhibits one's ability to hide or disappear. Even if the other family members were protecting it, or it traditionally went off somewhere special to die, at least one, in this long history of Bigfoot's presumable existence, would eventually get left behind while the healthy ones fled from human trackers. If a Bigfoot group was altruistically lugging an ill member and they didn't leave the sick one behind when they were being pursued, then the entire group would presumably be caught by the trackers or hunters. This happens within every other animal species in the world, including homo sapiens, so why would Bigfoot be different from all the rest of the living beings in the world?

~~tumbleweeds~~
Apology is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2013, 07:15 AM   #254
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Originally Posted by ChrisBFRPKY View Post
I'm not knocking your ability, it's just there's no path to take from here that leads to fact for either side.
Here's a fact: there is no objective evidence for the NA cryptid known as bigfoot. None. There has never been any physical evidence produced for the existence of the NA cryptid known as bigfoot. None.

Here's a fact: there are any number of hoaxes involving the cryptid known as bigfoot. As in many.
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2013, 06:15 PM   #255
ChrisBFRPKY
Illuminator

I know it's tacky to quote myself, but would any of the Bigfoot knowers care to address this question? I think it got lost beneath the Native American Bigfoot legend talk:

It's hard for me to believe that we haven't found a Bigfoot that was either seriously ill or dead from any fatal disease. Being near death greatly inhibits one's ability to hide or disappear. Even if the other family members were protecting it, or it traditionally went off somewhere special to die, at least one, in this long history of Bigfoot's presumable existence, would eventually get left behind while the healthy ones fled from human trackers. If a Bigfoot group was altruistically lugging an ill member and they didn't leave the sick one behind when they were being pursued, then the entire group would presumably be caught by the trackers or hunters. This happens within every other animal species in the world, including homo sapiens, so why would Bigfoot be different from all the rest of the living beings in the world?

~~tumbleweeds~~
I agree. It's hard to accept a body has not been located and brought in.
Old 21st August 2013, 07:46 PM   #256
HarryHenderson
Graduate Poster

Have you ever had the chance to bag one? And if so did you have a gun on you at the time? I mean, since you know they're there, can't you just sit in a tree stand regularly somewhere 'squatchy' and hope for some senile Squatch to finally do what no Squatch has ever done before, wander by the same place more than once? There's just no chance that way?

Just as a POI, there was a recent kidnapping/murder case where the guy (and his victim) attempted to 'get lost' in the middle of the Idaho primitive area. At the height of summer with a 3 day head start, an achievable goal by most practical standards. The central area is considered the most remote (most miles from the nearest paved road) in the lower 48 states. Yet they never had a chance, and it's not necessarily because they were ill-equipped. It's because the authorities, who (also) knew the two were there, didn't **** around for 46 years with lame excuse after lame excuse, they put 250+ agents on the ground immediately. It took them barely a day. Blam!

Last edited by LashL; 23rd August 2013 at 09:10 AM. Reason: Moderated thread.
HarryHenderson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2013, 08:06 PM   #257
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

It's very easy to accept that there has never been a Bigfoot body found. It makes complete sense that one will never ever be found. Chris, you will pass away without ever experiencing the scientific confirmation of Bigfoot.
Old 21st August 2013, 09:08 PM   #258
Mudcat
Man of a Thousand Memes

On the contrary, it's easy to accept if Bigfoot doesn't exist.
Old 22nd August 2013, 04:28 AM   #259
eerok
Quixoticist

And yet you have to accept it or dither away in the intellectual nullity of conspiracy theory.
Old 22nd August 2013, 10:02 AM   #260
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

You don't agree tho, Chris, isn't that the point? You believe that they exist without a doubt, which means you disagree.

Old 22nd August 2013, 10:05 AM   #261
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

There will never be a body brought in, but I don't expect that to stop people from buying this tripe, hook, line & sinker.

Old 22nd August 2013, 12:45 PM   #262
carlitos
"más divertido"

Could you possibly clarify this point?
  • Is it hard to accept, as in, you think one has been located and "brought in" (somewhere)? This would imply some kind of cover-up, right?
  • Or is it hard to continue believe that bigfoot exists without having any body located and brought in (somewhere)? This would imply uber-elusive bigfoot, or secret burial sites or something, I think.

Thanks!
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2013, 04:35 AM   #263
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

No, it's not difficult at all to accept. No body has ever been produced. What you might mean is that you find it difficult to accept there is no biological evidence for this cryptid.

But that's the way it is.
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2013, 01:41 PM   #264
AlaskaBushPilot
Illuminator

Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
Is she an Olympic athlete?
She does four miles on the trails here in 36 minutes.

I did the equinox marathon, 4,500 vertical feet cumulative climb in four hours, ten minutes.

Hardly Olympic standard. Neither one of us is even remotely competitive in such things.
AlaskaBushPilot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2013, 02:42 PM   #265
STRONG LIKE BEAR
Thinker

Originally Posted by HarryHenderson View Post
Have you ever had the chance to bag one? And if so did you have a gun on you at the time? I mean, since you know they're there, can't you just sit in a tree stand regularly somewhere 'squatchy' and hope for some senile Squatch to finally do what no Squatch has ever done before, wander by the same place more than once? There's just no chance that way?
We were approx 115 to 120 yards away. Persons present were myself, another researcher and his son. After recording the video, the best thing to do was to end the encounter. Any movement toward the creatures would have provoked a response. Since I didn't know what response they'd have and my friend's son was present, even though I was armed, I think we did the best thing.
Chris doesn't want to kill one. Only in the case of self-defense would he draw on them thar' creatures. He plans on capturing one instead.
STRONG LIKE BEAR is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2013, 06:34 PM   #266
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

I suspect that Chris is saying that although Bigfoot knowers (like him) do not need the body for proof (that already was provided to him with encounters) pretty much anyone else is going to require a body for proof - and so therefore for those people the existence of Bigfoot is difficult to accept right now.
Old 24th August 2013, 10:25 PM   #267
ChrisBFRPKY
Illuminator

Originally Posted by HarryHenderson View Post

Just as a POI, there was a recent kidnapping/murder case where the guy (and his victim) attempted to 'get lost' in the middle of the Idaho primitive area. At the height of summer with a 3 day head start, an achievable goal by most practical standards. The central area is considered the most remote (most miles from the nearest paved road) in the lower 48 states. Yet they never had a chance, and it's not necessarily because they were ill-equipped. It's because the authorities, who (also) knew the two were there, didn't **** around for 46 years with lame excuse after lame excuse, they put 250+ agents on the ground immediately. It took them barely a day. Blam!
In 2010 I had several chances to plug a Sasquatch if I had wanted to. I always carry a .44 mag and usually another decent caliber backup whenever I'm in the woods.

At first I entertained the idea, but I decided killing one is not the way to go. These creatures live in family groups, time will prove this correct. To kill one would likely mean killing the entire group. I can't do that just to rub noses in a body. Also, I'm not entirely confident a .44 mag would do the trick. I have a 50 cal BMG but it's 38 lbs and there's no way I could carry it several miles even if I wanted to.

The better plan is to monitor them whenever possible and wait for nature to provide the body. They can't live forever. Someone is gonna get sick someone is gonna have an accident sooner or later.

As far as the Govt finding those fugitives, that's incredible. Now if they'd just put that kind of effort into finding Bigfoot.

People as a rule are not difficult to find though. And they have this terrible habit of dropping dead mere yards from their car or a nearby highway. It's ridiculous. I'll wager this December there will be stories of someone found dead from exposure while out hunting for a Christmas tree.
Old 24th August 2013, 10:56 PM   #268
ChrisBFRPKY
Illuminator

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
Could you possibly clarify this point?
  • Is it hard to accept, as in, you think one has been located and "brought in" (somewhere)? This would imply some kind of cover-up, right?
  • Or is it hard to continue believe that bigfoot exists without having any body located and brought in (somewhere)? This would imply uber-elusive bigfoot, or secret burial sites or something, I think.

Thanks!
No problem. I agree with the statement in the post that one should have been brought in by now, alive or dead. Nothing cryptic implied.

I have no doubt the creatures exist. The lack of a body being found leads to alot of speculation of exactly what do they do with their dead?

Most animals simply leave their dead. Elephants hide the bones of their dead. There are cases in which primates have still carried a dead infant around with them for a period of time, but ultimately, the body was discarded at some point.

Here's where the speculation comes to play.

Do they bury their dead? Who knows? And if they do that's something that lower primates don't do. That would be more akin to what humans do. Do they have cultural beliefs? Is their culture advanced enough to actually have burials? There's a reason we're not tripping over dead Bigfoot bodies other than "they don't exist".

Personally, I think they're no more than bipedal apes, without language or culture.

Do they eat their dead? Creepy but possible. I kinda hope this turns out to be wrong but it's just speculation anyway.

Is nature simply decomposing the bodies before we can run across one? Very possible. Some argue there is no fossil record of Bigfoot but they seem to forget the entire fossil record for man will fit on one large table.

I'm not convinced of any conspiracy anywhere to cover up Bigfoot or a body. I am convinced there are valid reasons to do so though. Such as losses for the logging industry. Ask any PNW logger to tell you about spotted owls.
Old 25th August 2013, 12:10 PM   #269
dmaker
Graduate Poster

"There's a reason we're not tripping over dead Bigfoot bodies other than "they don't exist"

No, that is the reason actually.
dmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th August 2013, 01:01 PM   #270
dlorde
Philosopher

Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
I'm going to start NADRO.

North American Dragon Research Organization.

I'll be offering dragon expeditions for a small fee.

They were so widely depicted in the world, in art, stories, myths, and sculptures, that they must be real.

The world must have had quite a large breeding population.

Some varieties are surely still hiding in the jungles and deep woods of the world.
You could affiliate with these people: Jurassic Lark.
Old 25th August 2013, 05:04 PM   #271
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

Well, there hasn't been a body yet, despite Bigfoot being "just another ape," they don't play by the laws of nature, apparantly

Old 25th August 2013, 08:25 PM   #272
OntarioSquatch
Graduate Poster

Is the current lack of evidence enough to scientifically justify that conclusion?
OntarioSquatch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th August 2013, 07:23 AM   #273
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

In 2010 I had several chances to plug a Sasquatch if I had wanted to. I always carry a .44 mag and usually another decent caliber backup whenever I'm in the woods.

At first I entertained the idea, but I decided killing one is not the way to go. These creatures live in family groups, time will prove this correct. To kill one would likely mean killing the entire group. I can't do that just to rub noses in a body. Also, I'm not entirely confident a .44 mag would do the trick. I have a 50 cal BMG but it's 38 lbs and there's no way I could carry it several miles even if I wanted to.

The better plan is to monitor them whenever possible and wait for nature to provide the body. They can't live forever. Someone is gonna get sick someone is gonna have an accident sooner or later.

As far as the Govt finding those fugitives, that's incredible. Now if they'd just put that kind of effort into finding Bigfoot.

People as a rule are not difficult to find though. And they have this terrible habit of dropping dead mere yards from their car or a nearby highway. It's ridiculous. I'll wager this December there will be stories of someone found dead from exposure while out hunting for a Christmas tree.
If you could have plugged one on several occasions, then you could have had decent pictures/movies of one on several occasions.

If you could see it well enough to know it was a bigfoot, and not a bear, or a man in a bigfoot suit, that means it was within decent picture taking range.

If you were looking through a rifle scope, then you could have been looking through a zoom camera lens just as well, and pressing the button.

But somehow you never can get it together...

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th August 2013, 10:49 AM   #274
Apology
This title intentionally left blank

Even if Bigfoot had special secret burial rites, hid the bones of their dead like elephants, or even (gag) ate them, there still would be a breakdown in tradition during times of high mortality. That would make it much easier for humans to find a fresh Bigfoot body---not fossils, not bones, but a large hairy dead apeman not too far from a major body of water, a human hunting area, or a road.

Let's not forget that during the Black Plague and the Spanish Flu epidemic, human burial traditions were thrown by the wayside under the pressure of the inordinate number of bodies, and humans were stacked like logs inside of morgues and buried in mass graves without markers. When under enough pressure, any society suffers from a breakdown and sentimental concerns like burial rites are abandoned in favor of sheer survival. There's no reason to believe that Bigfoot would be any different, or superior to mankind in that respect.

In addition, what does Bigfoot eat? If it eats meat, why doesn't Bigfoot's migratory habits affect the local wildlife populations? Why aren't farmers reporting predatory apemen attacking their livestock? and if Bigfoot is vegetarian in nature, why don't we find areas in which they presumably live stripped of all edible vegetation? An animal that large would require quite a bit of food every day in order to survive. Why aren't there reports of Bigfoot raiding crops and gardens all over the country? Why isn't Bigfoot eating out of the dumpsters behind rural restaurants and grocery stores, when Bigfoot has been seen in fairly populated areas before? All we've heard about thus far is Bigfoot snitching a little bacon and a can of beans.

Between a lack of a body due to disease during epidemics and the lack of impact that Bigfoot's eating habits have on its presumed environment, I find it very, very hard to believe that Bigfoot exists at all.
Apology is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th August 2013, 01:52 PM   #275
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

OS, the lack of any legit evidence in the last half a century definately supports my conclusion: BF is a native of the mind.

Old 26th August 2013, 06:33 PM   #276
OntarioSquatch
Graduate Poster

If it eats meat, why doesn't Bigfoot's migratory habits affect the local wildlife populations?
They might not have any noticeable effect on wildlife populations, but if by some chance they did, we probably wouldn't know that Bigfoot is the cause.

Why aren't farmers reporting predatory apemen attacking their livestock?
They sure do, except they aren't taken any more seriously than other people who have had experiences.
OntarioSquatch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th August 2013, 11:29 PM   #277
AlaskaBushPilot
Illuminator

Has anybody noticed the uber-confident "time will prove this correct" statements?

What an interesting asymmetry. The last four hundred years of time are an insufficient quantity of time. But right around the corner, folks - all we need is a little bit of time.

Time is incredibly powerful looking forward and has zero power looking back. In terms of evidence production.
AlaskaBushPilot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th August 2013, 08:58 AM   #278
GT/CS
Illuminator

Originally Posted by OntarioSquatch View Post
They might not have any noticeable effect on wildlife populations, but if by some chance they did, we probably wouldn't know that Bigfoot is the cause.

They sure do, except they aren't taken any more seriously than other people who have had experiences.
Please post evidence of your second sentence.
Thanks
Old 28th August 2013, 10:28 AM   #279
ChrisBFRPKY
Illuminator

Even if Bigfoot had special secret burial rites, hid the bones of their dead like elephants, or even (gag) ate them, there still would be a breakdown in tradition during times of high mortality. That would make it much easier for humans to find a fresh Bigfoot body---not fossils, not bones, but a large hairy dead apeman not too far from a major body of water, a human hunting area, or a road.

Let's not forget that during the Black Plague and the Spanish Flu epidemic, human burial traditions were thrown by the wayside under the pressure of the inordinate number of bodies, and humans were stacked like logs inside of morgues and buried in mass graves without markers. When under enough pressure, any society suffers from a breakdown and sentimental concerns like burial rites are abandoned in favor of sheer survival. There's no reason to believe that Bigfoot would be any different, or superior to mankind in that respect.

In addition, what does Bigfoot eat? If it eats meat, why doesn't Bigfoot's migratory habits affect the local wildlife populations? Why aren't farmers reporting predatory apemen attacking their livestock? and if Bigfoot is vegetarian in nature, why don't we find areas in which they presumably live stripped of all edible vegetation? An animal that large would require quite a bit of food every day in order to survive. Why aren't there reports of Bigfoot raiding crops and gardens all over the country? Why isn't Bigfoot eating out of the dumpsters behind rural restaurants and grocery stores, when Bigfoot has been seen in fairly populated areas before? All we've heard about thus far is Bigfoot snitching a little bacon and a can of beans.

Between a lack of a body due to disease during epidemics and the lack of impact that Bigfoot's eating habits have on its presumed environment, I find it very, very hard to believe that Bigfoot exists at all.
Your position is completely understandable. One would think that some sort of fatal sickness (like Spanish flu you mentioned) would affect their population. Alot of Native Americans died as a result of Smallpox from what I understand.

These creature have a couple of things going for them though. Being remote from human populations would place a barrier of sorts between sick humans and themselves.

Another thing is their immune system. It'll likely be different than ours I suspect, so similar diseases that kill humans may have no effect on Bigfoot.

That was one of the particulars at Alamogordo that continues to bug me. Somebody, "the big wheel" decided the Chimps should be injected with HIV virus so they could test new Aids drug samples on those that developed the Aids virus. Contrary to opinions of other researchers that the Chimp's immune system is not an exact match with humans. Well that slight difference in the Chimps immune system was enough so that NONE showed any sign of the Aids disease. That "genius" deserves the award where the recipient is publicly stoned or at the least injected with a fresh batch of HIV.

It has been reported though that the African Gorilla is vulnerable to Ebola.

You mention there should be signs of eating. Nobody knows exactly what they eat. I think they're omnivores like bears, and eat whatever's available, fruit,nuts,berries, lots of vegetation as well as meat.

They do leave some signs of their presence and that's one of the ways to find them. Large areas of Pine trees with missing bark are good places to frequent. I don't know why, but I know they do eat pine bark.

I don't think they'd have any noticeable affect on the animal population, since they've always been there anyway.

A gray wolf was shot recently only a few miles from the house here. Until recently everyone thought KY had no wolves. But as it turns out we do. Wolves must kill to survive but there doesn't seem to be any shortage of game here.
Old 28th August 2013, 04:05 PM   #280
dafydd
Banned

Yeah, right. What about the diaper?
dafydd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal