ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 13th August 2018, 07:19 AM   #41
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Originally Posted by LSSBB View Post
Well, since all you hear about anymore is the clown in the White House and his latest tweet, boneheaded move or traitorous pronouncement, what else do you hear talked about? Thank the Lord above and the Heavenly Host for natural disasters (sarcasm alert), or It would be Trump 24/7.

One day, when he is thankfully gone, we can talk again about the really important things, and not the attention getting things.
I agree, it's TERRIBLE! Even Kanye and the Kardashians aren't getting all the attention they deserve!

"I don't want to live in a world without shemp." - Quarky

"...just as a magnet attracts iron filings, Trump attracts, and is attracted to, louts." - George Will
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2018, 07:34 AM   #42
ahhell
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Fudbucker View Post
"The federal government ran a monthly budget deficit of $77 billion in July, up 79% over the same month a year ago. For the first 10 months of fiscal 2018, the shortfall totals $684 billion, according to the Treasury Department. Thatís an increase of 21% compared to the same period in 2017."
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/fe...uly-2018-08-10

Propelled by the Republican tax-cut plan and increased government spending favored by both parties, the nation's deficit will top $1 trillion by 2020 and its debt burden within a decade will approach rates not seen since the aftermath of World War II, the Congressional Budget Office said Monday.

The budget deficit next year will rise to $804 billion, or $139 billion higher than the estimates made before the $1.5-trillion tax plan and $1.3-trillion spending bill were signed into law by President Trump in December and March, respectively.

http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-n...409-story.html

Why is this not an issue anymore?
Because politics and ideology are driven more by tribalism than ideology driving politics. This is true of everyone, its just more obvious of conservatives. There are about 10% of the GOP and presumably conservatives that are still concerned with these things. Unfortunately that doesn't much matter.
ahhell is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2018, 09:45 AM   #43
lomiller
Philosopher

I don't know, and i don't care, where the tea party is. I just continue to go about my fiscally conservative ways.
Just so long as you realize that you canít be fiscally conservative and still vote Republican.
Old 13th August 2018, 11:53 AM   #44
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

Originally Posted by lomiller View Post
Just so long as you realize that you canít be fiscally conservative and still vote Republican.
Understood. I joined the libertarian party during that long hot summer of 2016, in those days when I saw the impending disaster unfold.
Old 13th August 2018, 12:24 PM   #45
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Understood. I joined the libertarian party during that long hot summer of 2016, in those days when I saw the impending disaster unfold.
Well, sure, once Trump became a national party leader, why not vote for any dumb loon?
Babbylonian is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2018, 12:38 PM   #46
Tero
Graduate Poster

How’s that working for you? Liberarianism. Most libertarians I know are 15-30 year old males. One is an engineer. He likes dogs.
Tero is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2018, 12:51 PM   #47
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

Originally Posted by Tero View Post
Howís that working for you? Liberarianism. Most libertarians I know are 15-30 year old males. One is an engineer. He likes dogs.
Works great. My vote makes just as much a difference in Illinois as it did before!
Old 14th August 2018, 07:10 AM   #48
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

"The federal government ran a monthly budget deficit of $77 billion in July, up 79% over the same month a year ago. For the first 10 months of fiscal 2018, the shortfall totals $684 billion, according to the Treasury Department. Thatís an increase of 21% compared to the same period in 2017."
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/fe...uly-2018-08-10

Propelled by the Republican tax-cut plan and increased government spending favored by both parties, the nation's deficit will top $1 trillion by 2020 and its debt burden within a decade will approach rates not seen since the aftermath of World War II, the Congressional Budget Office said Monday.

The budget deficit next year will rise to $804 billion, or $139 billion higher than the estimates made before the $1.5-trillion tax plan and $1.3-trillion spending bill were signed into law by President Trump in December and March, respectively.

http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-n...409-story.html

Why is this not an issue anymore?
"Deficits don't Matter" Dick Chenny

It was clearly never an issue.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2018, 07:12 AM   #49
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Yeah, I've heard that before, but I'm specifically interested in the Tea Party movement. Deficits were their raison d'Ítre, and now that insanely large deficits are back, crickets.
No hating a black in the oval office was always their true reason to exist, and getting away from the tarnished republican brand of W.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2018, 07:42 AM   #50
kellyb
Philosopher

The overt social darwinism built in to the philosophy and policy recommendations doesn't bother you? Or the demonstrably false Austrian economic theories?

That 1985 NYT article I posted upthread was quoting Von Hayek, Darth Libertarianism himself, predicting inflation as a result of the deficit/money supply expansion - a notion libertarians to this day cling to.
Old 14th August 2018, 08:04 AM   #51
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

Originally Posted by kellyb View Post
The overt social darwinism built in to the philosophy and policy recommendations doesn't bother you? Or the demonstrably false Austrian economic theories?

That 1985 NYT article I posted upthread was quoting Von Hayek, Darth Libertarianism himself, predicting inflation as a result of the deficit/money supply expansion - a notion libertarians to this day cling to.
Libertarian thread elsewhere. Where I won't debate it either. Suffice to say, I don't agree with all Libertarian ideas either.
Old 14th August 2018, 10:33 AM   #52
lomiller
Philosopher

Libertarians are not much better. They chose options that ultimately cost more because it more closely aligns with their principles. Something could be cost effective, increase economic efficiency and have a positive return on investment and they would still oppose it based on principle rather than practical issues.
Old 14th August 2018, 10:49 AM   #53
lomiller
Philosopher

Originally Posted by kellyb View Post

Milton Freidman is a much better take on the issue. He was the major voice in recognising that expansion of the money supply isnít just ok, its required. His objection was based on the notion that leaving the decision on how much to expand the money supply to people exposes it to corruption.

Put another way an actively managed money supply works great until politicians find a way to muck with it for their own ends. Eg Erdogan trying to take control of the Turkish money supply, or even Trump harassing the Fed about interest rates being to low prior to the election but changing tune and harassing them to keep rates low afterwards. (high interest rates result a slower economy and lower inflation while lower rates result in faster growth but higher inflation. If you let them, politicians will try to use this to make their economic performance look better, their opponents look worse, or both)

In practice, as long as the central bank is true to itís mission and defended from politicians like Trump who would meddle for their own benefit to the detriment of everyone else, having the best people actively managing the money supply is the best answer we currently have.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics