ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 14th August 2018, 07:39 AM   #281
Baylor
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Greater Fool View Post
I think I understand why the black folks that hang around Baylor are angry.
I understand why you chose Scottsdale over 51st and McDowell
Baylor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2018, 07:46 AM   #282
Baylor
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Information Analyst View Post
How, exactly? You seem to be reducing rather complex and exceptional situations to a ridiculous non sequitur.
By arresesting hte perps they could've prevented more girls from being raped instead of parading around like gimps only to be sexually assaulted themselves.

Be embarrassed by this. How shameful to live in a country where this kind of thing goes on.

Last edited by Baylor; 14th August 2018 at 07:52 AM.
Baylor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2018, 08:15 AM   #283
The Greater Fool
Illuminator

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way
Originally Posted by Baylor View Post
I understand why you chose Scottsdale over 51st and McDowell
I'm sure you don't.

You do know that Scottsdale has neighborhoods at all extremes of demographic ranges. There are minority neighborhoods and white neighborhoods; Section 8 communities and gated/guarded communities; It's not as black and white as you see the world.

Believe it or not, I work with black people, and live with black people, and I've even been known to socialize with black people . As much as you seem to hate the idea, regardless of skin color, people are, in fact, people.
Old 14th August 2018, 08:54 AM   #284
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

By arresesting hte perps they could've prevented more girls from being raped instead of parading around like gimps only to be sexually assaulted themselves.

https://i.imgflip.com/2fus43.gif

Be embarrassed by this. How shameful to live in a country where this kind of thing goes on.
What exactly am I supposed to get upset about, apart from your use of a screenshot from Russia Today, where the truth is just something to leven the propaganda and make it marginally less obvious.
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2018, 09:45 AM   #285
p0lka
Muse

The dancing? I would be more ashamed if I lived in a country where they would have been shot.
p0lka is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2018, 10:22 AM   #286
kellyb
Philosopher

It's like Americans--the people around blacks--understand you're full of ****).
I'm an American who's lived in Memphis, which is a primarily back city, my whole life. I go weeks at a time without seeing another white face that doesn't belong to a member of my family.

I think you're completely full of it.

It's poverty that causes violent crime in the dense urban environments.
Old 14th August 2018, 10:43 AM   #287
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by kellyb View Post
I'm an American who's lived in Memphis, which is a primarily back city, my whole life. I go weeks at a time without seeing another white face that doesn't belong to a member of my family.

I think you're completely full of it.

It's poverty that causes violent crime in the dense urban environments.
I have no reason to doubt any of this for a second.

Meanwhile, let's dwell on the response to me that you quoted

Quote:
It's like Americans--the people around blacks--understand you're full of ****).
Blacks don't just live in the US. As has been pointed out, fagin lived in Africa - which somehow doesn't count.
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2018, 10:49 AM   #288
sackett
Philosopher

Let’s suppose that race was real, i.e., that research had uncovered a definable group that was genetically predisposed, on a statistical basis (how else would you know?), to unsocial behaviors, and/or perhaps to low intelligence. How would this change our institutions?

Not at all. Nothing would change. The reason is simple enough: statistics don’t apply to individuals, and the individual is all we have to work with. There’s one inside of every human body, and every other sort of distinction is a matter of opinion, that is, socially constructed.

This simple idea came to me after I overheard a South African, back in the days of apartheid, earnestly telling an American, “Yes, there is inequality. But there is not injustice!” I didn’t catch the American’s response, but I sure as hell had my own: Inequality is always injustice to the individual! And the individual is the only sure reality we have!

A member of that hypothetical inferior race would have right and justice on his side if he took to the courts to protest any kind of unequal treatment based on his racial identity. And to the streets, if need be. “Never mind what anybody’s findings show about my race! They show nothing about ME! I am who you must deal with, and nothing compels me to submit to your ill judgement of me! Deny me my rights as an individual at your peril!”

Yes, this is a simple idea, but I don’t expect it to appeal to the simple minds of racists. Or could I perhaps be wrong about that? Racists: tell me your feelings about this – or even your thoughts, if you use such things.

What region of the earth is not filled with our calamities? -- Virgil
sackett is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2018, 11:12 AM   #289
kellyb
Philosopher

Originally Posted by sackett View Post
Let’s suppose that race was real,
Race is real in a social kind of way. Just not really/as much biologically.

Quote:
i.e., that research had uncovered a definable group that was genetically predisposed, on a statistical basis (how else would you know?), to unsocial behaviors, and/or perhaps to low intelligence. How would this change our institutions?
Finding genetic roots of variantion of behaviors of any sort is not "necessary" in the discussion about race being real or not.

Quote:
The reason is simple enough: statistics don’t apply to individuals, and the individual is all we have to work with.
Who is "we" and what are "we" working to do? If "we" are health policy makers, "we" can look at racial demographics and make different recommendations about stuff like sunlight and sunscreen for different racial demographics.

Quote:
There’s one inside of every human body, and every other sort of distinction is a matter of opinion, that is, socially constructed.

"Socially constructed" is not just a matter of "opinion". Cultures and shared group experiences are profound sources of meaning for people. For many if not most black people, their "blackness" is an extremely important part of who they are.
Old 14th August 2018, 11:39 AM   #290
Belgian thought
Graduate Poster

A hilarious cartoon on the state of the UK

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSLXNZlok94

Make sure to use a VPN when viewing, wouldn't want anyone to go to prison for "viewing racist material."
There is nothing hilarious about this cartoon. It is not satire or a critical comment, it is just downright racist.

If you are from the UK, might I suggest you visit the THE HOLOCAUST EXHIBITION at the Imperial War Museum, London, but in doing so, go from the Final Solution (the end) to the "Start".

Basically view the exhibition backwards, you will see how the effective propaganda was created from really basic things such as your proposed video. The initial posters and cartoons were just as debile.
Old 14th August 2018, 11:50 AM   #291
Disbelief
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Belgian thought View Post
There is nothing hilarious about this cartoon. It is not satire or a critical comment, it is just downright racist.

If you are from the UK, might I suggest you visit the THE HOLOCAUST EXHIBITION at the Imperial War Museum, London, but in doing so, go from the Final Solution (the end) to the "Start".

Basically view the exhibition backwards, you will see how the effective propaganda was created from really basic things such as your proposed video. The initial posters and cartoons were just as debile.
My son just visited some of Europe this summer and they went to Sachenhausen concentration camp. He said it was a very disturbing, yet enlightening tour.

Quote me where I said conspiracists use evidence. - mchapman
Disbelief is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2018, 12:01 PM   #292
deadrose
Master Poster

Let's keep in mind that Baylor is posting from Spokane, where even the leader of the NAACP is white (until she was found out) in an area thick with white supremacists, militias, and general nuttiness.
deadrose is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2018, 01:21 PM   #293
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

I'm still don't know how one gets racism from "murder is bad, we should do something about it".
Old 14th August 2018, 01:42 PM   #294
Porpoise of Life
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
I'm still don't know how one gets racism from "murder is bad, we should do something about it".
Well, you see... Saying America's got a gun problem makes you a haughty limp-wristed misguided European weakling. And what do they hate the most? Being called racist. They even hate it so much that they're willing to sacrifice their children to evil paedo-Muslim cults to prevent accusations of racism.
So I'll find a clever way to spin thinking America has a gun problem into something I can call racist.
Hang on, aren't blacks inherently more wild and violent than us? And doesn't that mean they carry more blame fot the gun problem? Bingo!
I've used those poorly endowed croissant munchers' own sick ideals against them!

The above is of course a dramatisation...
Porpoise of Life is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2018, 01:43 PM   #295
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Darat,that's because you are LARPing as a white European hero... I think.

it's hard to make sense
Old 14th August 2018, 02:04 PM   #296
Information Analyst
Philosopher

Yeah, cops should be shooting black people, not dancing with them, right?

Although quite what you think a West Indian carnival has to do with Muslim grooming gangs is anybody's guess....

Last edited by Information Analyst; 14th August 2018 at 02:05 PM.
Information Analyst is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2018, 02:19 PM   #297
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Although quite what you think a West Indian carnival has to do with Muslim grooming gangs is anybody's guess....
I have asked what I am supposed to be embarrassed about, but didn't get a reply.

I think that maybe the police should pre-emptively beat up ethnic minorities because they are violent, or at least some members will be if attacked.
Old 14th August 2018, 02:24 PM   #298
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by kellyb View Post
Race is real in a social kind of way. Just not really/as much biologically.

Finding genetic roots of variantion of behaviors of any sort is not "necessary" in the discussion about race being real or not.

Who is "we" and what are "we" working to do? If "we" are health policy makers, "we" can look at racial demographics and make different recommendations about stuff like sunlight and sunscreen for different racial demographics.

"Socially constructed" is not just a matter of "opinion". Cultures and shared group experiences are profound sources of meaning for people. For many if not most black people, their "blackness" is an extremely important part of who they are.
All true, but it doesn't affect Sackett's point that as far as dealing with people, one is dealing with individuals, not walking stereotypes.
Old 14th August 2018, 02:31 PM   #299
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

What do you think they'd make of this story

http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/16367...s-of-brighton/

Given the history of police persecution of gays, publicly embracing Pride events seems like a good idea to try to demonstrate that things have changed.
Old 14th August 2018, 02:36 PM   #300
Information Analyst
Philosopher

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
What do you think they'd make of this story

http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/16367...s-of-brighton/

Given the history of police persecution of gays, publicly embracing Pride events seems like a good idea to try to demonstrate that things have changed.
Obviously we're now beyond redemption!
Information Analyst is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2018, 02:43 PM   #301
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Obviously we're now beyond redemption!
Well might as well have a large Diwali festival as well then.

http://www.dashehradiwali.co.uk

And enjoy the Eid celebrations with my Muslim colleagues.

it's almost as though people can take pride in their own culture and others can show support whilst enjoying themselves.
Old 15th August 2018, 12:37 AM   #302
TofuFighter
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Porpoise of Life View Post
Well, you see... Saying America's got a gun problem makes you a haughty limp-wristed misguided European weakling. And what do they hate the most? Being called racist. They even hate it so much that they're willing to sacrifice their children to evil paedo-Muslim cults to prevent accusations of racism.
So I'll find a clever way to spin thinking America has a gun problem into something I can call racist.
Hang on, aren't blacks inherently more wild and violent than us? And doesn't that mean they carry more blame for the gun problem? Bingo!
I've used those poorly endowed croissant munchers' own sick ideals against them!

The above is of course a dramatisation...
Not by much.

This thread is a typical example of the thinking that's produced when someone spends too much time on /pol/ , a circle jerk of racism, vacuous reasoning, and hairy-palmed back-pats for "redpilling" each other. Most of them don't even realise they're being led by the nose by troll farms.
Old 15th August 2018, 06:14 AM   #303
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
Well might as well have a large Diwali festival as well then.

http://www.dashehradiwali.co.uk

And enjoy the Eid celebrations with my Muslim colleagues.

it's almost as though people can take pride in their own culture and others can show support whilst enjoying themselves.
Yeah but they banned Christmas!!
Old 15th August 2018, 06:39 AM   #304
Tolls
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Yeah but they banned Christmas!!
...and called it Winterval!

Tolls is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th August 2018, 12:15 PM   #305
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by Tolls View Post
...and called it Winterval!

Yes but like all evil plans, they* were inept and forgot to give the memo to my Muslim colleagues, who seem perfectly happy with wishing people happy Christmas. I do know some who have problems with the canteen Christmas meal, but the key word is "canteen".

*I'm sure that I don't need to spell out who "they" are.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events