ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 15th August 2018, 04:57 AM   #41
Dr.Sid
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Ranb View Post
Yes I think the bullet passed through the eye socket. I think everything he said about pressure and vacuum was not true. A .51" wide projectile passing through the air at 3000 fps is not going to have a dramatically different effect on the air than a 30 caliber bullet going the same speed.
Well the amount of displaced air is more than double, but you're right, DemolitionRange's videos are pretty conclusive.
Dr.Sid is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th August 2018, 05:59 AM   #42
Bikewer
Penultimate Amazing

The Mythbusters performed similar tests, with the same result. Near misses do no harm whatever.

If you happen to be in the vicinity of a supersonic bullet as it passes by, the distinct “crack!” Is something you don’t forget. Lower-velocity bullets can make a sort of “buzz”.
Bikewer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th August 2018, 06:43 AM   #43
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Dr.Sid View Post
5.56 will blow your arm off, if it hits the bone square. And 50 BMG is different league entirely.

Video, little graphic .. 50 BMG used on deer. It kills it by missing it few inches. Just the shockwave. Now in the shot discussed the shockwave would be way weaker because of the distance, on the other hand the slow speed could actually increase the effect in the body.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6P3uwl5HzzQ
Old Army wives tale.

Even up close, a miss w/ a .50 BMG projectile isn't any different than a miss with any other small arms round.

There are many folks with no first hand experience with the platform or caliber that have fallen for it, so don't feel bad.

"Dulce bellum inexpertīs." - Erasmus
BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th August 2018, 08:17 AM   #44
lobosrul5
Muse

The article makes it sound like a hit in his chest was with such force that his limbs popped off. No way. Someone up thread was saying a hit on bone could sever a limb, that is believable.

Originally Posted by Bikewer View Post
The Mythbusters performed similar tests, with the same result. Near misses do no harm whatever.

If you happen to be in the vicinity of a supersonic bullet as it passes by, the distinct “crack!” Is something you don’t forget. Lower-velocity bullets can make a sort of “buzz”.
Its a rather old myth. I remember my cousin telling me a near miss from a 50 cal would tear your skin right off, this was around 1995. I thought he was full of ****.

And I've been behind a dirt berm with bullets passing overhead. The 600 yard range at the club here is designed so you can safely do that, take targets down and replace them.
lobosrul5 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th August 2018, 03:52 PM   #45
Ranb
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Bikewer View Post
The buzz a subsonic bullet can make surprised me. I first heard it when I was shooting my 45 ACP Enfield with a silencer. I heard the buzz and thought I was going transonic. But the chronograph said 900 fps which is what I thought the 16" barrel was giving the usual pistol load. I can't hear other suppressed subsonic loads in my guns buzzing though.
Ranb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology