ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Russia incidents , Russia issues , Russia politics , vladimir putin

Old 21st January 2020, 04:45 PM   #81
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
He IS the Senate now.
I think the term for Putin is "L'Etat, C'est Moi".

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2020, 05:47 PM   #82
Venom
Illuminator

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
So? The intelligence service is corrupt too. How did he convince them to back his play?
Before he was appointed prime minister, Putin was replaced as FSB chief with one of his close friends, Nikolai Patrushev. The Second Chechen war also probably helped keep the security services focused on a common enemy and weeded out the dissenters.

Corruption is okay as long as it's his corruption right.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2020, 03:37 AM   #83
McHrozni
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
I think the term for Putin is "L'Etat, C'est Moi".
Well, it depends.

"I am the Senate" - he's a villanous overlord that schemed for many decades to put him in absolute control of the Empire.
"L'Etat, C'est Moi" - he's a bufoon, born into privilege, ascended to power based on the power of his birth while still a child and proceeded to use the entire continent as his private playground until his death many decades later.

Neither is perfectly accurate but "I am the Senate" seems closer to Putler and his Third Russian Reich.

McHrozni

Last edited by McHrozni; 23rd January 2020 at 03:39 AM.
McHrozni is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2020, 03:47 AM   #84
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Originally Posted by Childlike Empress View Post
SouthFront details the new government which is in place as of today.

TLDR.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th January 2020, 04:15 PM   #85
ajelehtija
Student

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
TLDR.
Much of this thread seems to me pure, unaldurated balls of excrement. People pretending as if they know what goes on in the head of Vladimir Putin with no other guide but their preconceptions informed by their patriotism/nationalism. IS Putin corrupt? Certainly. Is he a patriot who thinks and acts in a manner that's best for Russia? It's very much a possibility.

So what's this news? Making the Presidency weaker and making the parliament stronger? It's probably a good thing for an eventual post-Putin Russia. That Putin will be the next PM will certainly help Putin, but perhaps also make way for more robust institutions in Russia which is what they need. That's the most favourable take I can make, but even at it's worst it might be a good thing.

But I also have some friends in Russia (expats from Finland and America) and they are usually flabbergasted about the amount of disinformation about Russia in the media over here. For one they (and everyone else in Russia) have access to Western media that the media says they have no access to.
ajelehtija is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th January 2020, 04:23 PM   #86
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Welcome to the forum ajelehtija!

Can the usual pseudo-skeptical gang try to engage this person on what they write, opposed to cracking lame inside jokes, calling them a Russian asset and essentially parroting the agenda of Pompeo? Would make the place more interesting.
Old 25th January 2020, 05:17 PM   #87
Baylor
Philosopher

Can the usual pseudo-skeptical gang try to engage this person on what they write, opposed to cracking lame inside jokes, calling them a Russian asset and essentially parroting the agenda of Pompeo? Would make the place more interesting.
You are hopelessly optimistic.
Baylor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th January 2020, 08:36 PM   #88
ajelehtija
Student

Thank you for your welcome, but really what else do I have other than anecdotes? It's worth nothing. But I do assert that streamlining a hated figure, who ever it might be, is always at the very least, an error.

I very much like the hypothetical questions Stephen Kotkin poses hypothethically to Putin: "Where do you see Russia in 20 years", "Is it a good path?", "Do you care?". What ever the answers might be we don't know what Putin thinks.
ajelehtija is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th January 2020, 09:03 PM   #89
a_unique_person

We know what he does. He runs a Mafia state.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th January 2020, 09:15 PM   #90
ajelehtija
Student

We know what he does. He runs a Mafia state.
Right. Good luck ever trying to deduce what Russia does then. You might as well say that they're "irrational" and be done with it.
Old 25th January 2020, 09:26 PM   #91
a_unique_person

The Mafia is quite rational. I feel sorry for the people who have to live in a Mafia state. They deserve better.
Old 25th January 2020, 09:35 PM   #92
ajelehtija
Student

The Mafia is quite rational. I feel sorry for the people who have to live in a Mafia state. They deserve better.
To distill Russia to "Mafia state" is extremely simplistic. They definitely deserve better than that.
Old 25th January 2020, 10:03 PM   #93
Baylor
Philosopher

Originally Posted by ajelehtija View Post
To distill Russia to "Mafia state" is extremely simplistic. They definitely deserve better than that.
You're new here, aren't you?
Baylor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th January 2020, 10:22 PM   #94
ajelehtija
Student

Originally Posted by Baylor View Post
You're new here, aren't you?
I've have tried to register over the years, but was denied by what I can only assume has been admin inactivity. I've browsed/lurked for several years. What is seen in this thread is not uncommon in the anglophone sphere which I would count the Nordics in. And it's absolutely understandable, the worst case/narrative about Russia can be made. It's just that it's dispelled with any penetration into Russia.
Old 25th January 2020, 11:30 PM   #95
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

I've have tried to register over the years, but was denied by what I can only assume has been admin inactivity. I've browsed/lurked for several years. What is seen in this thread is not uncommon in the anglophone sphere which I would count the Nordics in. And it's absolutely understandable, the worst case/narrative about Russia can be made. It's just that it's dispelled with any penetration into Russia.
Mod Info
Good assumption.

The sudden loss of an admin created a workload problem for the rest of the team, this has been corrected by the creation of some new admins.

Please note - discussion of forum management issues outside of forum management topics is considered to be derailing discussions

Posted By:novaphile

Yes, I'm aware of the contradiction in what I just posted, and where.
Old 25th January 2020, 11:44 PM   #96
ajelehtija
Student

Smile

Originally Posted by novaphile View Post
Mod Info
Good assumption.

The sudden loss of an admin created a workload problem for the rest of the team, this has been corrected by the creation of some new admins.

Please note - discussion of forum management issues outside of forum management topics is considered to be derailing discussions

Posted By:novaphile

Yes, I'm aware of the contradiction in what I just posted, and where.
I hope that wasn't taken as a slight or anything, and if it was I apologise for that. It was only an uninformed assumption on my part, and I have nothing else to say other than that you've obviously corrected any issue there might have been
Old 26th January 2020, 12:11 AM   #97
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

It's OK, there was no offense taken, or read into your statement.

Old 26th January 2020, 03:38 AM   #98
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Indeed and we know what Putin is not going to do, which is relinquish his position as unequivocally the most powerful person in Russia and the only one whose position cannot be challenged.

I don't think we know how he's intending to do this.
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2020, 07:09 PM   #99
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
Indeed and we know what Putin is not going to do, which is relinquish his position as unequivocally the most powerful person in Russia and the only one whose position cannot be challenged.

I don't think we know how he's intending to do this.
I don't need to know what Putin's thought processes are, all the evidence I need is in what he does. And that is bad enough.
Sadly, in the end, it's the Russian people who will pay the price for Putin.
And I see we have one of Putin's little helpers just, by coincidence, show up here as a new poster after we start a thread pretty hostile to Vlad. How interesting.....

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2020, 07:11 PM   #100
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Much of this thread seems to me pure, unaldurated balls of excrement. People pretending as if they know what goes on in the head of Vladimir Putin with no other guide but their preconceptions informed by their patriotism/nationalism. IS Putin corrupt? Certainly. Is he a patriot who thinks and acts in a manner that's best for Russia? It's very much a possibility.

So what's this news? Making the Presidency weaker and making the parliament stronger? It's probably a good thing for an eventual post-Putin Russia. That Putin will be the next PM will certainly help Putin, but perhaps also make way for more robust institutions in Russia which is what they need. That's the most favourable take I can make, but even at it's worst it might be a good thing.

But I also have some friends in Russia (expats from Finland and America) and they are usually flabbergasted about the amount of disinformation about Russia in the media over here. For one they (and everyone else in Russia) have access to Western media that the media says they have no access to.
You can say the same things about Good Old Uncle Joe Stalin, you know....

Robert Heinlein.
Old 29th January 2020, 10:48 AM   #101
ajelehtija
Student

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
You can say the same things about Good Old Uncle Joe Stalin, you know....
Even more so about Stalin than about Putin, I'd say. But perhaps only because there are reams of archival material like personal correspondence of Stalin's that can serve as a basis for a biography analysing the person and what drove him. Since with Putin we don't know, it's more of a possibility that he's out for only himself than Stalin who among all other things was a committed Marxist-Leninist.

Quote:
And I see we have one of Putin's little helpers just, by coincidence, show up here as a new poster after we start a thread pretty hostile to Vlad. How interesting.....
Right, I saw the 'batsignal' projected from the roof of the Kremlin. Must be very comforting and neat to have a self-reinforcing worldview where anyone who doesn't fully agree with you with same conviction must be working for the enemy. Seems like a popular way to think these days, especially in the US, and I can see that it's making political discourse there more pleasant by the day!
Old 1st February 2020, 01:25 AM   #102
Vixen
Suspended

Even more so about Stalin than about Putin, I'd say. But perhaps only because there are reams of archival material like personal correspondence of Stalin's that can serve as a basis for a biography analysing the person and what drove him. Since with Putin we don't know, it's more of a possibility that he's out for only himself than Stalin who among all other things was a committed Marxist-Leninist only up until 1924.

<snip>
FIFY
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2020, 02:01 PM   #103
ajelehtija
Student

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
FIFY
I don't see how.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics