ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 11th February 2020, 03:10 PM   #81
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

I guess we have to wait fr the parent's lawyer to hold a press conference before we know the kid's races.
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2020, 03:15 PM   #82
LibraryLady
Emeritus

Originally Posted by casebro View Post
I guess we have to wait fr the parent's lawyer to hold a press conference before we know the kid's races.
Is that really an issue here? I know it is sometimes, but we don't even know if it's an issue with this.
Old 11th February 2020, 06:15 PM   #83
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by LibraryLady View Post
Is that really an issue here? I know it is sometimes, but we don't even know if it's an issue with this.
Not if nobody wants to talk about it. I'll start the CT ball rolling: Black on Black crime? Black on white? White on black? Or: Why do they not want us to know? Who was the bully vs who was the murderer, no race can come out ahead on that score. White victim, Black hero, we would be hearing about it. Black victim, black hero, white murderer BLM would be telling us about it. Black vic, white hero, white murderer, would be newsworthy. So, all one race?
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2020, 06:20 PM   #84
EHocking
Philosopher

I realise USan math(s) is different to the rest of the world, but does African-American count as more than one two race now?
You can't make up anything anymore. The world itself is a satire. All you're doing is recording it. Art Buchwald
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2020, 11:35 PM   #85
TofuFighter
Master Poster

<snip> <snip>
I'd recommend reading the article
TofuFighter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2020, 11:28 AM   #86
dann
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
Television. It makes for a satisfying story that standing up to a bully exposes them as a coward and "turns the tables".

And movies. A semi-autobiographical Scandinavian example (Sorry, Baylor, they're all snow white!), the movie Evil (Wikipedia):

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

It's very satisfying to see the working-class boy stand up to the upper-class bullies at his boarding school, but the film also shows that he only succeeds because he happens to be stronger than them and knows how to fight. A weaker friend of his doesn't fare as well, and it would have been self-defeating for him to try to stand up to them on his own.
Let's not forget what happened to the guy who defended a weaker kid against a bully in the case in point.
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx

Last edited by dann; 12th February 2020 at 11:53 AM.
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2020, 11:43 AM   #87
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dann View Post
And movies. A semi-autobiographical Scandinavian example (Sorry, Baylor, they're all snow white!), the movie Evil (Wikipedia):

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

It's very satisfying to see the working-class boy stand up to the upper-class bullies at his boarding school, but the film also shows that he only succeeds because he happens to be stronger than them and knows how to fight. A weaker friend of his doesn't fare as well, and it would have been self-defeating for him to try to stand up to them on his own.
Let's not forget what happened to the guy who defended a weaker kid against a bully in the case in point.
YT link fixed
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2020, 11:54 AM   #88
dann
Philosopher

Thanks! I've corrected it my own post, too.
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2020, 11:24 PM   #89
ChristianProgressive
Master Poster

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ken_McElroy

This is what happens when civilization doesn't activly suppress bullying.
"As it was in the days of Noah, so will it be at the coming of the Son of Man." - Matthew 24:37

"And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh." - Luke 21:28
ChristianProgressive is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2020, 11:47 PM   #90
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Originally Posted by ChristianProgressive View Post
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ken_McElroy

This is what happens when civilization doesn't activly suppress bullying.
Guess they decided against the wonderful neighborhood watch idea. The fact they ended up paying his wife 17G is obscene.

Wollen owns the stage
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2020, 02:16 AM   #91
ChristianProgressive
Master Poster

Originally Posted by trustbutverify View Post
Guess they decided against the wonderful neighborhood watch idea. The fact they ended up paying his wife 17G is obscene.
If they had persued involuntary commitment and kept the psycho in jail where he belonged, it wouldn't have been necessary for the town to resort to killing him.

That said, they did the right thing to protect themselves.
"As it was in the days of Noah, so will it be at the coming of the Son of Man." - Matthew 24:37

"And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh." - Luke 21:28
ChristianProgressive is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2020, 02:24 PM   #92
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

If they had persued involuntary commitment and kept the psycho in jail where he belonged, it wouldn't have been necessary for the town to resort to killing him.

I call it "preemptive self defense".
Old 13th February 2020, 04:21 PM   #93
trustbutverify
Philosopher

If who had pursued involuntary commitment? His legion of victims?

Wollen owns the stage
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th February 2020, 12:28 AM   #94
Doghouse Reilly
Adrift on an uncharted sea

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
"What did you do in the war, Daddy?"
"Well, son, I stood up and demanded to speak to the manager!"
LOL
Doghouse Reilly is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events