ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 13th February 2020, 05:07 PM   #1
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Down Syndrome Finger Gun

Pennsylvania school that called the cops on a six-year-old girl with Down syndrome who made finger gun at teacher refuses to back down and says it did the right thing

Originally Posted by Daily Mail
A school that called the police on a six-year-old girl with Down syndrome after she pretended to shoot her teacher with her fingers has refused to back down and claims it did the right thing.

The girl's mother, Maggie Gaines, had accused Valley Forge Elementary School in Pennsylvania of mishandling the incident last November.

Her daughter Margot had become frustrated in class and pointed her finger at the teacher and said 'I shoot you'.

The school contacted Gaines and told her it was district policy that they report the incident to the local police force...
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-gun-down.html
Old 13th February 2020, 06:42 PM   #2
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Bit of a non story tbf

Hopefully the cops just told them to tone down the paranoia even if it is written procedure

Quote:
The school contacted Gaines and told her it was district policy that they report the incident to the local police force.

'

Requesting a police consultation allows agencies to confer and use the information they have to plan for appropriate supports.

'It is not the same as making a police report and asking for an investigation.'*

The school didn't request a further investigation after it found that little Margot didn't intend to harm anyone.**
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2020, 07:14 PM   #3
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Just because she is required to report it to the police, there is no requirement they have to do anything about it.
Old 13th February 2020, 07:47 PM   #4
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Sounds like one of those, given school shootings, damned if you do. Damned if you don't report everything things and the little chick got caught up in it.

Hopefully the cops will have a word about how discretion can sometimes be your friend
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th February 2020, 03:15 AM   #5
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
Sounds like one of those, given school shootings, damned if you do. Damned if you don't report everything things and the little chick got caught up in it.

Hopefully the cops will have a word about how discretion can sometimes be your friend
This. Although, given the context of why this procedure would be in place I think it's more likely to be "You were right to follow procedure and make the report but I'm sure we can agree that no further action is necessary in this case".

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th February 2020, 06:23 PM   #6
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

The title of this thread is a band name waiting to happen

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events