ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Florida incidents , shooting incidents , texting incidents

Old 13th January 2014, 08:33 PM   #1
12AX7
Banned

Retired cop shoots/kills man in theater for texting

In Florida, no less.

Man killed after dispute over texting in theater

Shooter is a retired cop.

Quote:
"Their voices start going up, there seems to be a confrontation, somebody throws popcorn, then bang, he was shot,"
Thrown popcorn. Gotta stand your ground under the barrage of popped kernels of corn.

Quote:
Nocco said his detectives considered if this could be a 'stand your ground' case but decided the criteria did not apply.
Nevermind then.

Quote:
"I can't believe people would bring a gun to a movie," added Cummings, a Marine who served in Vietnam. "I can't believe they would argue and fight and shoot one another over popcorn or even a cell phone."
Oh, I can. I can absolutely believe it.
12AX7 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2014, 08:52 PM   #2
brazenlilraisin
...tart

Who is more deserving of the title responsible gun owner than a retired cop...?
brazenlilraisin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2014, 08:53 PM   #3
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by brazenlilraisin View Post
Who is more deserving of the title responsible gun owner than a retired cop...?
Someone who is actually responsible with their gun use...
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2014, 09:13 PM   #4
lane99
Muse

Assault with a deadly kernel

If someone throws a handful of popcorn at you, it's possible a piece could find its way into your mouth and might thereafter get lodged in your windpipe. Leaving you at risk of imminent death if there is no one nearby familiar with the Heimlich Maneuver.

Ultimately I suspect this will be ruled a justifiable homicide.

Twitter: @Perugiamurderfi
lane99 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2014, 09:19 PM   #5
angrysoba
Philosophile

Kernal Mustard, in the movie theater, with the revolver.
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2014, 09:24 PM   #6
Sceptic-PK
Illuminator

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
Hahaha.
Sceptic-PK is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2014, 09:44 PM   #7
Travis
Misanthrope of the Mountains

How many will blithely say he deserved it just because texting during a movie is perhaps the most annoying thing someone can do during a movie short of trying to pluck claws off a rooster inside a megaphone?

Wait....I sort of sound like I condone this now.

Travis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2014, 09:45 PM   #8
RemieV
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Travis View Post
How many will blithely say he deserved it just because texting during a movie is perhaps the most annoying thing someone can do during a movie short of trying to pluck claws off a rooster inside a megaphone?

Wait....I sort of sound like I condone this now.
It was during the previews. Not the movie.
RemieV is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2014, 09:55 PM   #9
bigred
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
Someone is murdered, you joke about it. Classy post. Hey bout that 9/11, what a hoot, bet you have a bunch of one-liners on that one
bigred is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2014, 09:56 PM   #10
bigred
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by 12AX7 View Post
Oh, I can. I can absolutely believe it.
Sadly, so can I. It's the era of "anything goes." Nothing surprises me anymore.
bigred is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2014, 10:10 PM   #11
Sceptic-PK
Illuminator

Originally Posted by bigred View Post
Someone is murdered, you joke about it. Classy post. Hey bout that 9/11, what a hoot, bet you have a bunch of one-liners on that one
http://lsd.dula.tv/blog/wp-content/u...s-accurate.jpg

Last edited by Loss Leader; 14th January 2014 at 03:01 PM. Reason: Hotlinking
Sceptic-PK is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2014, 10:16 PM   #12
angrysoba
Philosophile

The thread's going to get trashed anyway so I thought I would get an original one in there before the inevitable happens.
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2014, 10:25 PM   #13
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

I submit that it's impossible to murder someone whose response to complaints about their texting in a darkened theater is to throw popcorn at the complainer. If the law says otherwise, then the law is a ass.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2014, 11:39 PM   #14
Black Hole Box

That's why I tell everyone to get off my lawn. Just in case.
Black Hole Box is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2014, 11:49 PM   #15
Hungry81
Master Poster

I wouldn't take such disrespect, you should shoot him.
Hungry81 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2014, 11:50 PM   #16
beachnut
Penultimate Amazing

That is what they said when Lincoln was shot. And when Cain killed Abel.
beachnut is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2014, 12:07 AM   #17
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
I submit that it's impossible to murder someone whose response to complaints about their texting in a darkened theater is to throw popcorn at the complainer. If the law says otherwise, then the law is a ass.
When you're 71, I guess you don't take any crap from anyone at all...

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2014, 02:06 AM   #18
Mitchell314
Muse

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
How can you say that? Killing the other man with a knife, I can understand. But a gun? They're too noisy, and defeats the whole purpose. Now, if the retired cop had a silencer so as to not bother the audience, then it's a different story.

Lapis Sells . . . But Who's Buying?
Mitchell314 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2014, 02:21 AM   #19
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

I thought that people with guns in cinemas were supposed to make the place safer? That is according to the NRA and their reaction to Aurora.
Old 14th January 2014, 02:26 AM   #20
Black Hole Box

Originally Posted by Nessie View Post
I thought that people with guns in cinemas were supposed to make the place safer? That is according to the NRA and their reaction to Aurora.
Roving popcorn gangs have been terrorizing our movie theaters for long enoug and the NPA refuses to acknowledge the damage caused by using this treat irresponsibly.
Black Hole Box is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2014, 02:30 AM   #21
KatieG
Rootin' Tootin' Raspberry

Originally Posted by lane99 View Post
If someone throws a handful of popcorn at you, it's possible a piece could find its way into your mouth and might thereafter get lodged in your windpipe. Leaving you at risk of imminent death if there is no one nearby familiar with the Heimlich Maneuver.

Ultimately I suspect this will be ruled a justifiable homicide.
I highly doubt that. Popcorn has never been considered a deadly weapon. I can't believe y'all are joking about this horrible murder. The man left behind a wife and small daughter. I don't see anything funny about this situation.

Basically, if the GOP doesn't want to be called the white supremacy party, they should stop acting like they are.
-Mumbles

Last edited by KatieG; 14th January 2014 at 02:34 AM. Reason: add
KatieG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2014, 02:40 AM   #22
Hungry81
Master Poster

Originally Posted by KatieG View Post
I highly doubt that. Popcorn has never been considered a deadly weapon.
That's only because we have too many corn-nutters who amaizeingly obfuscate and deny the issue, and then hide behind the badly worded 2nd cornmendment.
Hungry81 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2014, 03:00 AM   #23
Gawdzilla Sama
121.92-meter mutant fire-breathing lizard-thingy

Our local theaters have a dragon incinerating a man for using his phone during the movie. "Zero tolerance", Pern-style.
Buying conspiracy books is a voluntary tax on stupid.
Gawdzilla Sama is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2014, 03:10 AM   #24
AbleSugar
Toilet Smuggler

Some of us have worked in jobs or been exposed to so much stupid senseless violence,
that we have to make jokes to keep from jumping off whatever thin bridge of sanity we are able to stand on.
Doesn't mean we don't mourn another pointless death.
AbleSugar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2014, 03:10 AM   #25
jeremyp
Graduate Poster

I can't believe y'all are joking about this horrible murder.
I think it's a defensive reaction. The only alternative is to cry over the absurdity and stupidity of a society in which a man can be murdered over a bit of popcorn flinging.

Almost the most depressing thing is that, very soon, there will be people on this thread claiming that the man with the gun had a legitimate reason to be carrying it. The simple truth is that, if a place is too dangerous to be without a gun, it's a place that is too dangerous to be.
jeremyp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2014, 03:14 AM   #26
Sceptic-PK
Illuminator

The best jokes are the ones you shouldn't make.
Old 14th January 2014, 03:15 AM   #27
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

I highly doubt that. Popcorn has never been considered a deadly weapon. I can't believe y'all are joking about this horrible murder. The man left behind a wife and small daughter. I don't see anything funny about this situation.
As a gun threat veteran, humour is one of the ways of dealing with the sheer volume of deaths. In the year after Sandy Hook 12,042 Americans were shot dead. Here a man shoots another over a minor matter in a cinema, where according to the NRA people should be safe because there is a so called responsible gun owner there.

I wonder to what extent the rest of the world looks on at the USA and thinks "you are mad, uttering raving stupid mad bonkers" because of what people shoot each other over. It is completely senseless and deserving of ridicule.

I feel so sorry for the Americans who chose not to have a gun and how death can visit them anywhere at any time from those who chose to have a gun.
Old 14th January 2014, 03:28 AM   #28
Gawdzilla Sama

Originally Posted by AbleSugar View Post
Some of us have worked in jobs or been exposed to so much stupid senseless violence,
that we have to make jokes to keep from jumping off whatever thin bridge of sanity we are able to stand on.
Doesn't mean we don't mourn another pointless death.
Very true. Gallows humor is a release I learn back in 1970. Laugh or cry, you're going to do one or the other.
Gawdzilla Sama is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2014, 03:39 AM   #29
Rolfe
Anti-homeopathy illuminati member

I wonder to what extent the rest of the world looks on at the USA and thinks "you are mad, uttering raving stupid mad bonkers" because of what people shoot each other over. It is completely senseless and deserving of ridicule.

I feel so sorry for the Americans who chose not to have a gun and how death can visit them anywhere at any time from those who chose to have a gun.

This. I can sort of understand the gallows humour, but this incident is completely off the wall. Who more deserving to be regarded as a responsible gun owner but a retired cop? If not him, then who?

After Aurora, we were told that everyone in a cinema should have a gun, so that terrorist attacks could be fought off. Like there's some way to tell the terrorists from the good guys, in the dark, in a fire-fight?

The entire culture over there is completely FUBARed.

Rolfe.
Old 14th January 2014, 03:43 AM   #30
Gawdzilla Sama

The guy may have been a responsible gun owner at one time, but a geezer with a pocket cannon is just bad news waiting to happen.
Old 14th January 2014, 04:06 AM   #31
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Hey don't we need to wait to find out if it was murder or legitimate self defense?
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2014, 04:08 AM   #32
Belz...
Fiend God

Someone is murdered, you joke about it.
And that's surprising to you ? People joke about tragedy all the time. I know I do.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2014, 04:11 AM   #33
Belz...
Fiend God

No, that's if EVERYONE in the theater had been armed. Obviously, fewer people would've died, there.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2014, 04:21 AM   #34
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
No, that's if EVERYONE in the theater had been armed. Obviously, fewer people would've died, there.
Sill me. For a moment there I was sure the NRA had not thought this through.

In any case, I have the solution. Popcorn is not a right, so ban it.
Old 14th January 2014, 04:22 AM   #35
KoihimeNakamura
Creativity Murderer

Location: In 2.5 million spinning tons of metal, above Epsilion Eridani III
Originally Posted by Rolfe View Post
This. I can sort of understand the gallows humour, but this incident is completely off the wall. Who more deserving to be regarded as a responsible gun owner but a retired cop? If not him, then who?
People actually responsible, instead of people who abrogate it.
Old 14th January 2014, 04:37 AM   #36
Rolfe

I was once hit over the head with a box of chocolates in the Coliseum theatre in London during the interval of a performance by English National Opera. I had asked the lady, who was sitting behind me, if she might unwrap her chocolates from the rustly individual cellophane wrappers at the interval, so she could access them silently during the music, and she took offence.

I had no idea I was taking my life in my hands.

Rolfe.
Old 14th January 2014, 04:40 AM   #37
Rolfe

Originally Posted by KoihimeNakamura View Post
People actually responsible, instead of people who abrogate it.

Please read again what I asked. Who can we regard as a responsible gun owner, more than a retired cop? Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but as someone said in an earlier thread, everyone's a responsible gun owner, until the minute they aren't.

The pro-gun lobby's response is simply to strike that person off their list of "responsible gun owners" and repeat their mantra about not punishing the responsible gun owners for the actions of someone who quite clearly was not a responsible gun owner.

Except, he was, right till that moment.

Rolfe.
Old 14th January 2014, 04:50 AM   #38
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

The off-duty cop who apprehended the shooter could be a responsible gun owner...

It will be interesting to hear the reasoning of the shooter.

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?

Last edited by LTC8K6; 14th January 2014 at 04:52 AM.
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2014, 05:17 AM   #39
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
The off-duty cop who apprehended the shooter could be a responsible gun owner...

It will be interesting to hear the reasoning of the shooter.
He was afraid of the guy and couldn't back down like some pansy.

But look at it this way if the shootie was black the pro gun people would have their new hero.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2014, 05:17 AM   #40
jeremyp
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Rolfe View Post
I was once hit over the head with a box of chocolates in the Coliseum theatre in London during the interval of a performance by English National Opera. I had asked the lady, who was sitting behind me, if she might unwrap her chocolates from the rustly individual cellophane wrappers at the interval, so she could access them silently during the music, and she took offence.

I had no idea I was taking my life in my hands.
You weren't taking your life in your hands. In England, it's illegal to carry firearms in public. Although, of course, you might have bled out after a freak paper cut from the box.
jeremyp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events