ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Canada elections , Canada politics , Elizabeth May , justin trudeau , Thomas Mulcair

Old 30th September 2019, 08:41 AM   #561
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

And just in case we hear enough about Trump from American politicians, we have Jagmeet Singh getting into the act:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/jag...ment-1.5301329
NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh told a town hall audience in Victoria that he was serious when he said that he hopes U.S. President Donald Trump is impeached.

Personally I think it was an unwise thing to say.

Not that I disagree with the sentiment.. I think Trump is a racist con-artist who should have been been tossed out years ago. But, Singh is a politician who (in theory) wants to become leader of the country. Should Trump survive the impeachment proceedings, and should Singh become Prime Minister, such comments might impact us negatively.

So yes, hope for impeachment. But keep your hopefulness hidden.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2019, 01:48 AM   #562
Lambchops
Graduate Poster

So... How about that blackface?
Old 4th October 2019, 05:45 AM   #563
Fitter
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
And just in case we hear enough about Trump from American politicians, we have Jagmeet Singh getting into the act:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/jag...ment-1.5301329
NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh told a town hall audience in Victoria that he was serious when he said that he hopes U.S. President Donald Trump is impeached.

Not that I disagree with the sentiment.. I think Trump is a racist con-artist who should have been been tossed out years ago. But, Singh is a politician who (in theory) wants to become leader of the country. Should Trump survive the impeachment proceedings, and should Singh become Prime Minister, such comments might impact us negatively.

So yes, hope for impeachment. But keep your hopefulness hidden.
I would be far more concerned about Singh's comment if there was even the slightest chance he could form a government some day.
Fitter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2019, 10:42 AM   #564
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Fitter View Post
Quote:

Not that I disagree with the sentiment.. I think Trump is a racist con-artist who should have been been tossed out years ago. But, Singh is a politician who (in theory) wants to become leader of the country.
I would be far more concerned about Singh's comment if there was even the slightest chance he could form a government some day.
I agree that the NDP has never been in a situation where they have a good opportunity to form a government. However:

- I think all national politicians should act like they expect to win the election (even if historically the chances are low)

- Even if the NDP doesn't form the government, it could have significant influence if we end up with a minority government. And even if they end up on the opposition benches, having a (relatively) major politician attack the leader of the U.S. still looks bad. Many americans are stupid. (Trump and his supporters in particular). The fact that the NDP aren't the ones forming the government probably won't matter much if they happen to hear "Did you know? a big name politician wants Trump impeached." They probably won't understand the nuances regarding our political system.

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2019, 06:46 AM   #565
ShortHaxYT
Scholar

Who might this be?

Who is the person in all black?
You might already know...

Old 7th October 2019, 06:47 AM   #566
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Old news.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2019, 06:48 AM   #567
ShortHaxYT
Scholar

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Old news.
The media still thinks it's relevant
Old 7th October 2019, 07:36 AM   #568
dann
Philosopher

Everybody knows who it is. http://www.internationalskeptics.com...6#post12826666
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2019, 07:54 AM   #569
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ShortHaxYT View Post
Who is the person in all black?
You might already know...

https://i.cbc.ca/1.5289171.156899920...-brownface.jpg
Please take some time to explore the forum, and familiarize yourself with some of the discussions already in progress. There's already a thread about the Trudeau administration, and a thread about the upcoming Canadian elections. Trudeau's blackface issues are already being talked about in those threads.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th December 2019, 12:11 PM   #570
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Scheer: "I'm Outta here"

From: https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/andr...ader-1.4727310
Andrew Scheer is resigning as the leader of the Conservative party...

Now, there are a few possibilities why he is resigning:
- Because the conservative party did not get the big breakthrough they were expecting in the last election (that would be a bit silly, since a sitting prime minister usually has an advantage in getting re-elected, at least after only 1 term)
- It was felt by some that his social conservative background (i.e. anti-abortion/anti-gay marriage) might be a detriment in future elections. Again I would say a bit unfair (not in that being social conservative might impact his election chances, but in the last election he indicated quite strongly that he would not act to change the law over those issues if he were PM.)
- There is a spending scandal, where conservative party funds were going to pay for part of his children's schooling (basically covering the difference between the cost of schooling in his home province and Ottawa)
-

We are Groot - Groot
Old 13th December 2019, 07:20 AM   #571
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Scheer: "I'm Outta here"

From: https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/andr...ader-1.4727310
Andrew Scheer is resigning as the leader of the Conservative party...

Now, there are a few possibilities why he is resigning:
- Because the conservative party did not get the big breakthrough they were expecting in the last election (that would be a bit silly, since a sitting prime minister usually has an advantage in getting re-elected, at least after only 1 term)
- It was felt by some that his social conservative background (i.e. anti-abortion/anti-gay marriage) might be a detriment in future elections. Again I would say a bit unfair (not in that being social conservative might impact his election chances, but in the last election he indicated quite strongly that he would not act to change the law over those issues if he were PM.)
- There is a spending scandal, where conservative party funds were going to pay for part of his children's schooling (basically covering the difference between the cost of schooling in his home province and Ottawa)
-

I figure it's what we were hearing starting right after the election: he's out because he couldn't win. The rest is just BS covering up that one. They knew he was a social conservative when they elected him party leader - that's why most of his supporters voted for him! And the "For the kids!" bit is nonsense. What was he going to do if he'd won? Be PM for 5 minutes?

Nope, he got turfed by party insiders who blame him for not trouncing JT.
Old 27th January 2020, 02:09 PM   #572
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

You think the U.S. has big political scandals? Impeachment? Ukraine investigation? Mueller report?

Well, get a load of THIS scandal:

From: https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/23/opini...kiw/index.html
Trudeau posted a photo of himself on Twitter Monday carrying several boxes of pastries from the Winnipeg gourmet doughnut shop, Oh Doughnuts. To make matters worse for loyalists of Canada's popular, iconic, and non-gourmet doughnut chain, Tim Hortons, Trudeau referred to his doughnut haul as "some of Winnipeg's best."

Expensive donuts = elitist.

Must buy from a multi-million dollar restaurant chain instead.

On another note: Now that the conservative party has started searching for a new leader, the following people are now official candidates:
https://globalnews.ca/news/6462577/c...er-candidates/

Richard Decarie (political aide)
Marilyn Gladu (MP)
Peter MacKay (MP/former cabinet minister&PC leader)
Erin O’Toole (MP/former cabinet minister)
Rick Peterson (businessman/former candidate)
Aron Seal: former director of policy for two Conservative cabinet ministers.
Bobby Singh (businessman/former candidate).
Derek Sloan (MP)

I am a bit surprised by the number of non & failed politicians in the race. Of all the people listed, McKay would probably be my preference... he is less likely to be seen as a social conservative (he voted in favor of same sex marriage, and he has roots going back to the old PC party).

I would probably not like anyone who didn't at least win an election as an MP (I do think some parliamentary experience is a good thing). That leaves: Sloan (he's a bit too young, and I don't know if he's a social conservative or not, but he is a 7th day adventist, which makes me nervous), Gladu (she'd probably be an OK choice... decent background, but she isn't getting much press), and O'Toole (I respect his military background, but I'm worried that his rhetoric might be a bit much.)

Ambrose, Poilievre and Charest have said they aren't going to be running.

We are Groot - Groot

Last edited by Segnosaur; 27th January 2020 at 02:21 PM.
Old 27th January 2020, 03:08 PM   #573
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Tim's is owned by Burger King these days anyhow.
Old 28th January 2020, 06:19 AM   #574
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Forget NotTimHortonGate, am I the only one who was worried about his keeping his vacation beard?

Have we already forgotten the warnings from the Kids in the Hall?

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 29th January 2020, 01:01 PM   #575
Fitter
Illuminator

You think the U.S. has big political scandals? Impeachment? Ukraine investigation? Mueller report?

Well, get a load of THIS scandal:

From: https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/23/opini...kiw/index.html
Trudeau posted a photo of himself on Twitter Monday carrying several boxes of pastries from the Winnipeg gourmet doughnut shop, Oh Doughnuts. To make matters worse for loyalists of Canada's popular, iconic, and non-gourmet doughnut chain, Tim Hortons, Trudeau referred to his doughnut haul as "some of Winnipeg's best."

Expensive donuts = elitist.

Must buy from a multi-million dollar restaurant chain instead.

On another note: Now that the conservative party has started searching for a new leader, the following people are now official candidates:
https://globalnews.ca/news/6462577/c...er-candidates/

Richard Decarie (political aide)
Marilyn Gladu (MP)
Peter MacKay (MP/former cabinet minister&PC leader)
Erin O’Toole (MP/former cabinet minister)
Rick Peterson (businessman/former candidate)
Aron Seal: former director of policy for two Conservative cabinet ministers.
Bobby Singh (businessman/former candidate).
Derek Sloan (MP)

I am a bit surprised by the number of non & failed politicians in the race. Of all the people listed, McKay would probably be my preference... he is less likely to be seen as a social conservative (he voted in favor of same sex marriage, and he has roots going back to the old PC party).

I would probably not like anyone who didn't at least win an election as an MP (I do think some parliamentary experience is a good thing). That leaves: Sloan (he's a bit too young, and I don't know if he's a social conservative or not, but he is a 7th day adventist, which makes me nervous), Gladu (she'd probably be an OK choice... decent background, but she isn't getting much press), and O'Toole (I respect his military background, but I'm worried that his rhetoric might be a bit much.)

Ambrose, Poilievre and Charest have said they aren't going to be running.
He was an ASW navigator. The man ate peanut butter for a living.
Fitter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th January 2020, 01:03 PM   #576
Fitter
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Tim's is owned by Burger King these days anyhow.
Technically it's owned by the same Brazilian holding company that owns Burger King.
Old 29th January 2020, 02:06 PM   #577
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
and O'Toole (I respect his military background, but I'm worried that his rhetoric might be a bit much.)
He was an ASW navigator. The man ate peanut butter for a living.
Took me a second to figure out ASW (Anti-submarine warfare), but I don't get the 'peanut butter' reference.

By the way, a recent article about O'Toole. Points out that he:
- will not remove rights from woman and/or the LGBTQ community
- Would block any attempt to bring up a private member's bill on abortion
- Wants to make sure the conservatives have plans to address global warming earlier than they did in the last election.
https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/...struggles.html

Not saying I would prefer O'Toole as Prime Minister, but I think it says a lot about the Canadian political landscape when even the 'right wing' leadership candidates are pro-choice, pro-gay rights, and pro-environment (or at least accept that global warming is an issue).

We are Groot - Groot
Old 29th January 2020, 02:50 PM   #578
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Took me a second to figure out ASW (Anti-submarine warfare), but I don't get the 'peanut butter' reference.

- Wants to make sure the conservatives have plans to address global warming earlier than they did in the last election.

Not saying I would prefer O'Toole as Prime Minister, but I think it says a lot about the Canadian political landscape when even the 'right wing' leadership candidates are pro-choice, pro-gay rights, and pro-environment (or at least accept that global warming is an issue).
Probably supports retaining universal healthcare too, the damn commie!
Old 30th January 2020, 04:47 AM   #579
Fitter
Illuminator

Sorry,it's an inside air force joke. Those that flew in the back of the aircraft didn't really do anything except eat peanut butter. Generally in Maritime Air Group, when it existed, your primadona aircrew could all be found outside the flight deck.

I'm not opposed to O'Toole himself but I do still have reservations about the social conservative wing of the CPC and how many of them he would choose to fill the cabinet.
Old 30th January 2020, 07:36 AM   #580
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

I'm not opposed to O'Toole himself but I do still have reservations about the social conservative wing of the CPC and how many of them he would choose to fill the cabinet.

Based on the last leadership races in both the Federal and Ontario parties, a moderate has essentially zero chance of winning anyways, so there's no point in wondering about what he would do as leader.
Old 31st January 2020, 11:56 AM   #581
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
Based on the last leadership races in both the Federal and Ontario parties, a moderate has essentially zero chance of winning anyways, so there's no point in wondering about what he would do as leader.
Well, lets see:

As mentioned before, O'Toole has stated that he will not act against gay rights, and actively go against any attempts by a private member to open up the abortion discussion.

And after Richard Declaire made the claim that "being gay is a choice", he was condemned by McKay, O'Toole, Gladu, and Peterson. (And the party formally removed its definition of "traditional marriage" from the party's policy book.)

Peter McKay appears to be pro-choice and has attacked Scheer, suggesting his 'social conservative' background cost them the election.

And Gladu appears to be pro-choice.

https://nationalpost.com/news/politi...ay-is-a-choice

https://www.thepostmillennial.com/co...d-lgbt-rights/

So it looks like many/most of the conservative candidates are both pro-LGBTQ rights, and pro-choice. Unless someone new and unexpected comes in that manages to push the party in a hard-right social conservative direction, I can't see it going backwards.

After some googling, it does look like Sloan might be a problem, but I doubt he will get much traction in the leadership race.

We are Groot - Groot
Old 31st January 2020, 12:34 PM   #582
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Yes, and when they were looking for a new leader for the Ontario party, they chose Doug Ford over two other, more moderate candidates. And when the chose the last federal leader, they split the vote between Scheer and Bernier. The one candidate in that race I considered moderate never got more than about 9% of the vote.

It doesn't matter how moderate most of the candidates are, when a majority of the party members have shown an unwillingness to even consider a moderate candidate.
Old 31st January 2020, 01:10 PM   #583
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
Yes, and when they were looking for a new leader for the Ontario party, they chose Doug Ford over two other, more moderate candidates.
Yes, Ford will probably be seen as a big embarrasement to the conservatives in the future. But one bad decision in one province doesn't necessarily mean the conservatives have somehow gone off the deep end.
Quote:
And when the chose the last federal leader, they split the vote between Scheer and Bernier. The one candidate in that race I considered moderate never got more than about 9% of the vote.
McKay never ran in that particular race. I figure he would have probably had the inside track if he would have ran.

And lets take a look at the top 2 candidates in the 2016:
- Bernier, who came within 1% of winning the leadership race, ended up matching in the Gay pride parade
- Scheer DOES have a background of being opposed to abortion and gay marriage, but he stated that he would not bring up either issue in parliament if he were leader.

So, neither one is exactly a foaming-at-the-mouth, lock-away all gays and force women to be baby-mamas. (Scheer may have personal beliefs, but he did not seem to let those personal beliefs impact policy.)
Quote:
It doesn't matter how moderate most of the candidates are, when a majority of the party members have shown an unwillingness to even consider a moderate candidate.
The 'majority of party members' voted overwhelmingly to remove the definition of "traditional marriage" from the party policy book.

Yes, you could argue that they trailed the Liberals and NDP over this, but it looks like for the most part the conservatives recognize the issues of gay rights and abortion rights is settled.

We are Groot - Groot
Old 1st February 2020, 04:43 AM   #584
Fitter
Illuminator

Barbaric Cultural Practices Tip Line. Our sole experience with a CPC government shows they will bend to the worst aspects of their base when desperate.
Old 1st February 2020, 11:32 PM   #585
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Barbaric Cultural Practices Tip Line. Our sole experience with a CPC government shows they will bend to the worst aspects of their base when desperate.

This is particularly true when you consider that, after three years of watching what Trump has been doing in the US, a large segment of the current conservative movement in Canada still think he's doing a good job, and wish that Canada had someone like him in charge. I see this sort of **** on Facebook every damn week.
Old Today, 08:55 AM   #586
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Looks like Canada's economy might start getting hit by ongoing rail blockades...

From: https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/man...ades-1.5466893
Rail blockades have brought Canada's manufacturing industry to a virtual standstill, and the industry will start seeing plant closures and temporary layoffs soon if it continues, the group that represents the industry says....In British Columbia some Indigenous protestors and sympathizers have shut down a key rail line in Northern B.C. because they oppose the construction of the Coastal GasLink pipeline on the grounds that it would run through the hereditary land of the Wet'suwet'en people. Another group has blockaded another key rail line near Belleville, Ont., in solidarity with the B.C. protest.

A few things to note:

- This is happening while Trudeau is prime minister... but I thought he was supposed to solve these problems, and it was the evil conservative party that were the ones that were the problem?

- Multiple native groups in the area have agreed to the pipeline; it looks like only one group ("Hereditary chiefs") opposing it

https://www.cbc.ca/news/indigenous/w...ndup-1.5458383

We are Groot - Groot

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics