ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags misogyny , rape culture , sex scandals , sexuality issues

Old 23rd July 2018, 05:47 PM   #321
qayak
Penultimate Amazing

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...viously-known/

Quote:
And, because we had previously shown that nearly one million incidents of sexual victimization happen in our nation’s prisons and jails each year, we knew that no analysis of sexual victimization in the U.S. would be complete without a look at sexual abuse happening behind bars. We found that, contrary to assumptions, the biggest threat to women serving time does not come from male corrections staff. Instead, female victims are more than three times as likely to experience sexual abuse by other women inmates than by male staff.

Also surprisingly, women inmates are more likely to be abused by other inmates than are male inmates, disrupting the long held view that sexual violence in prison is mainly about men assaulting men. In juvenile corrections facilities, female staff are also a much more significant threat than male staff; more than nine in ten juveniles who reported staff sexual victimization were abused by a woman
Is all your life will ever be."
qayak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd July 2018, 06:54 PM   #322
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing

Thanks very interesting and not what I would have guessed. Thanks for posting it qayak.
"... when people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."
Isaac Asimov
Roboramma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th July 2018, 11:53 PM   #323
AlaskaBushPilot
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Roboramma View Post
Thanks very interesting and not what I would have guessed. Thanks for posting it qayak.
Ditto for the thanks, and it is not surprising given the data on domestic violence now that I think about it.
AlaskaBushPilot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th July 2018, 12:09 AM   #324
AlaskaBushPilot
Illuminator

Originally Posted by dann View Post

And this is the point that I think that all the advocates of coerced sex miss with their pseudo-Darwinian arguments: Nature actually made sex enjoyable for both parties! So if you want to experience the pleasure of having sex, all you need to do is find somebody you would like to have it with who would also like to have it with you.
This is just calling people stupid. "All you need to do".

Go ahead and explain why there are millions of people who would like to have sex but can't find someone to have it willingly with them.

Most forego sex with another person and masturbate to my likeness, both male and female.

Gary Ridgeway, Ted Bundy, etc: a lot of the greats had relationships or were married and went about raping/killing dozens of people while they carried on what their partner believed to be a normal loving relationship.

Sabrina has given lots of material on various motivations for rape, there's plenty of variety.

dann really, you have such a puerile assertion here, the very existence of rape contradicts it.
AlaskaBushPilot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th July 2018, 11:28 AM   #325
isissxn
Rough Around the Edges

Delete. Maybe I misunderstood. Idc

Last edited by isissxn; 27th July 2018 at 11:30 AM.
isissxn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th July 2018, 11:32 AM   #326
calebprime
moleman

calebprime is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2018, 07:30 AM   #327
Ron_Tomkins
Satan's Helper

So Dann, do you have a basic idea of what you would like the Grand Unifying Theory of what Makes People Want to Have Sex with Unwilling Partners to look like? If you give us a rough schematic idea, we can probably start constructing an answer that would satisfy you (That's what she said).

Carl Sagan
Ron_Tomkins is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2018, 01:41 PM   #328
isissxn
Rough Around the Edges

Originally Posted by Ron_Tomkins View Post
So Dann, do you have a basic idea of what you would like the Grand Unifying Theory of what Makes People Want to Have Sex with Unwilling Partners to look like? If you give us a rough schematic idea, we can probably start constructing an answer that would satisfy you (That's what she said).
I think the answer is supposed to be one of the below:

What makes some people want to have sex with unwilling 'partners?'

a.) Omg, I can't understand it either! It's beyond understanding, terrible.

b.) They don't actually enjoy it - enjoying it is impossible, something else is driving them.

c.) They are just Complete Monsters, but trying to analyze just what that means makes you an advocate of forced sex and a poopyhead!

I've narrowed it down to these possibilities by process of elimination.
isissxn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2018, 02:24 PM   #329
AlaskaBushPilot
Illuminator

Originally Posted by isissxn View Post

b.) They don't actually enjoy it - enjoying it is impossible, something else is driving them.

c.) They are just Complete Monsters, but trying to analyze just what that means makes you an advocate of forced sex and a poopyhead!

Well, yes - it is incoherent. So the fascination becomes what is the poster doing. No accusation of nefarious intent here - but curiousity about what explaines the incoherency.

I accept other people work differently from me. The evidence is overwhelming.

I have a morbid fascination with Serial Killers. Although my favorite is not considered one because he was a mob hit man. Kuklinsky. But he didn't rape victims. He was an assassin. And I understand exactly what created him. He doesn't feel one way or the other about his victims, it neither thrills him nor bothers him. It's the money.

But a lot of the greats (sarcasm) were rapists. Cannibals. Sadists.

If you have difficulty "understanding" then look at people like Leonard Lake and Charles Ng. The Miranda Project: Lake wrote a book about their intentions, so there's no mistaking the horror.

and there are one-off rapists who got drunk with a woman and went too far. You have sex with barnyard animals going on, and it's been going on for thousands of years. Everything from A to Z.

The fact one does not rape barn animals should not prohibit one from acknowledging people who do are wired differently. It's self-evident to me.
Old 1st August 2018, 07:49 AM   #330
Ron_Tomkins
Satan's Helper

Actually, I always got the feeling that this whole thread is Dann's way of saying to the world "Look! I'm so normal that I can't conceive at all how someone would do something like that in any circumstance. Can you guys help me? I really wanna try to figure it out, but me being so normal, it seems impossible to do. Maybe you happen to know a sick person who can try to relate to us why they are so sick?"

Carl Sagan
Ron_Tomkins is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st August 2018, 08:29 AM   #331
calebprime
moleman

Actually, I always got the feeling that this whole thread is Dann's way of saying to the world "Look! I'm so normal that I can't conceive at all how someone would do something like that in any circumstance. Can you guys help me? I really wanna try to figure it out, but me being so normal, it seems impossible to do. Maybe you happen to know a sick person who can try to relate to us why they are so sick?"
Agreed -- it's seemed that way to me too.
calebprime is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st August 2018, 12:46 PM   #332
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Bingo.

He seemed far more interested in finding some "sicko" to focus his rage/superiority on then any intellectually or emotionally honest answers to his question.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st August 2018, 01:39 PM   #333
xjx388
Philosopher

Originally Posted by AlaskaBushPilot View Post
Well, yes - it is incoherent. So the fascination becomes what is the poster doing. No accusation of nefarious intent here - but curiousity about what explaines the incoherency.

I accept other people work differently from me. The evidence is overwhelming.

I have a morbid fascination with Serial Killers. Although my favorite is not considered one because he was a mob hit man. Kuklinsky. But he didn't rape victims. He was an assassin. And I understand exactly what created him. He doesn't feel one way or the other about his victims, it neither thrills him nor bothers him. It's the money.

But a lot of the greats (sarcasm) were rapists. Cannibals. Sadists.

If you have difficulty "understanding" then look at people like Leonard Lake and Charles Ng. The Miranda Project: Lake wrote a book about their intentions, so there's no mistaking the horror.

and there are one-off rapists who got drunk with a woman and went too far. You have sex with barnyard animals going on, and it's been going on for thousands of years. Everything from A to Z.

The fact one does not rape barn animals should not prohibit one from acknowledging people who do are wired differently. It's self-evident to me.
What I don't understand is the animosity in Dann's posts. None of us here, including him, are experts in human psychology as far as I know. We don't know the real answer (do experts even know?), but we are making some thoughtful attempts to address the question as best we can. But it seems everything we say is met with derision and dismissal. No fun.
Old 1st August 2018, 03:34 PM   #334
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post
What I don't understand is the animosity in Dann's posts. None of us here, including him, are experts in human psychology as far as I know. We don't know the real answer (do experts even know?), but we are making some thoughtful attempts to address the question as best we can. But it seems everything we say is met with derision and dismissal. No fun.
What makes someone want to have an argument with an unwilling partner?
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st August 2018, 05:24 PM   #335
d4m10n
Illuminator

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
What makes someone want to have an argument with an unwilling partner?
Natural selection.

Ladies love white knights.
d4m10n is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st August 2018, 05:28 PM   #336
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by d4m10n View Post
Natural selection.

Ladies love white knights.
That's stupid. Natural selection is an excuse, not an explanation.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st August 2018, 05:49 PM   #337
d4m10n
Illuminator

Please go back and reread your Darwin.
d4m10n is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st August 2018, 05:52 PM   #338
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Please go back and reread your Darwin.
That's stupid. Darwin doesn't actually explain anything. You're trying to distract from the reality that you can't explain it.
Old 1st August 2018, 06:10 PM   #339
d4m10n
Illuminator

That's stupid. Darwin doesn't actually explain anything. You're trying to distract from the reality that you can't explain it.
Natural selection explains why biological creatures behave in adaptive ways.

10th grade, yo.
Old 1st August 2018, 06:18 PM   #340
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Natural selection explains why biological creatures behave in adaptive ways.

10th grade, yo.
That's stupid. 10th grade biology is an excuse, not an explanation. Why can't anyone answer my question?
Old 1st August 2018, 06:31 PM   #341
Thermal
Philosopher

That's stupid. 10th grade biology is an excuse, not an explanation. Why can't anyone answer my question?
Assertion of power?

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain

Truth is not what you want it to be; it is what it is, and you must bend to its power or live a lie -Miyamoto Musashi
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st August 2018, 07:05 PM   #342
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
Assertion of power?
That's stupid. Assertion of power is just an excuse. Why do some people want to assert power in the first place?
Old 1st August 2018, 07:22 PM   #343
Thermal
Philosopher

That's stupid. Assertion of power is just an excuse. Why do some people want to assert power in the first place?
Powerful stupidity?

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain

Truth is not what you want it to be; it is what it is, and you must bend to its power or live a lie -Miyamoto Musashi
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st August 2018, 07:40 PM   #344
xjx388
Philosopher

Lol, I think theorestige has summed up this thread quite well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 2nd August 2018, 01:49 AM   #345
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing

Lol, I think theorestige has summed up this thread quite well.
+1
"... when people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."
Isaac Asimov
Roboramma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd August 2018, 05:07 AM   #346
Sabrina
Wicked Lovely

I have a bachelor's degree in psychology, but as that was granted nearly seventeen years ago now and I moved on to work in an entirely different line of employment (although I suppose one could argue there's a slight level of psychology applicable in analysis), I would very much hesitate to claim any miniscule level of expertise in the subject.

I'm with xjx388 and Roboramma on this one; theprestige pretty much summed up the thread.
Sabrina is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd August 2018, 03:34 PM   #347
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

That's stu- I mean, thanks, everyone. I'm honored that you would appreciate my technique. Shall we see if dann has anything to add?
Old 3rd August 2018, 05:01 PM   #348
d4m10n
Illuminator

Which question?
Old 4th August 2018, 11:07 AM   #349
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed

Which question?
I think he was roll-playing as Dann.
Mycroft is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2018, 02:29 PM   #350
Seismosaurus
Philosopher

Originally Posted by dann View Post
So if you want to experience the pleasure of having sex, all you need to do is find somebody you would like to have it with who would also like to have it with you.
You know, there are people in the world who find that is beyond their skill set.
Old 4th August 2018, 02:34 PM   #351
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
I think he was roll-playing as Dann.
I think damion was just trying to ruin the joke.
Old 6th August 2018, 01:48 PM   #352
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

That's stu- I mean, thanks, everyone. I'm honored that you would appreciate my technique. Shall we see if dann has anything to add?
Well done, to both you and d4m10n.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2018, 01:55 PM   #353
d4m10n
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
Well done, to both you and d4m10n.
This thread is still happening? I thought Susan Brownmiller nailed it down years ago.

https://twitter.com/untamableshrews/...02229340819457
Old 4th November 2018, 02:50 AM   #354
dann
Philosopher

Norwegian peer reviewed research. From the abstract:

Quote:
Results: Of the 1500 questionnaires sent out, 527 responses were received. A total of 480 had lived with the partner and were included in the study, and 5.8 per cent of these reported sexual coercion by the partner. Sexual coercion is associated with both physical and psychological violence as well as actions by the partner that make it difficult for the woman to stay in paid employment. There is a clear correlation between increasing psychological violence and sexual coercion. The more often a woman is subjected to various acts of dominance and isolation, or emotional and verbal abuse, the more sexual coercion she will experience.
Sexual coercion in marriage or cohabitating relationships is linked to other types of intimate partner violence (Sykepleien.no, June 26/28, 2018)
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx

Last edited by dann; 4th November 2018 at 02:52 AM.
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th November 2018, 10:24 AM   #355
Ron_Tomkins
Satan's Helper

Any advances on finding the Universal Unifying Theory of why some people like to engage in sex with unwilling partners?
The psychology boards worldwide would surely appreciate that information.

Carl Sagan
Old 6th November 2018, 11:17 PM   #356
dann
Philosopher

Any advances on finding the Universal Unifying Theory of why some people like to engage in sex with unwilling partners?
Then you should go talk to them!
Any advances on finding anything other than your tired old strawman?!
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2018, 08:16 AM   #357
d4m10n
Illuminator

I'm still waiting on Dr. Shemer to weigh in.
Old 7th November 2018, 09:35 AM   #358
Senex
Philosopher

A sex addiction counselor explains the secret to ending these types of threads.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Senex is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2019, 04:27 AM   #359
dann
Philosopher

Not all rape is explained by Anti-Social Personality Disorder. This means that there has to be some rape perpetrated by men who are situationally callous.

For some reason, it was extremely important xjx388 to allege of a certain subgroup of rapists for whom he coined the phrase "situationally callous.

A new article in The Atlantic has this to say about "the great majority of rapists":

Quote:
The Case Western research also showed that the great majority of rapists are generalists, or “one-man crime waves.” “They will steal your car, they will steal your watch, and they will steal sex, so to speak, if they can get away with it,” says Neil Malamuth, a psychologist at UCLA. “They are antisocial folks who will commit all sorts of antisocial behavior, including but not limited to sexual aggression.” And eventually, experts say, generalists slip up and get caught.
(…)
“These are not the Napoleons of crime,” Tim McGinty told me. He paused, reflecting on those 7,000 rape kits sitting in storage in Cleveland while the perpetrators were free on the streets. “They’re morons. We were letting morons beat us.”
An Epidemic of Disbelief – What new research reveals about sexual predators, and why police fail to catch them (The Atlantic, August 2019 Issue)

For most of you, the article is probably tl;dr, but I can recommend it to those of you who are also interested in the second half, "why police fail to catch them".
Old 17th July 2019, 04:33 AM   #360
dann
Philosopher

I guess that it won't be difficult to anticipate theprestige's comment:

Yes, I do have something to add. More research about rapists, as you can see in post 359.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events