ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Brexit

Old 14th February 2020, 01:40 AM   #2961
Tolls
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
No 10 Cat - Dominic Cummings
Oh great...now I have an image of Cummings in a cat suit, ala Galloway.

this is not a good end to the week...
Tolls is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th February 2020, 02:18 AM   #2962
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
From Facebook,

Leavers are always harking back to WWII and how they won.

Which is correct as both needed Russia.
And bankrupted the country... hmm perhaps there is something in their analogy...
Old 14th February 2020, 02:40 AM   #2963
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
And bankrupted the country... hmm perhaps there is something in their analogy...
A pyrrhic victory which ended up a few years later with the UK being allied with its former enemies and estranged from one of its former allies - it looks more apposite all the time.
The Don is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th February 2020, 03:38 AM   #2964
KDLarsen
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Tolls View Post
Oh great...now I have an image of Cummings in a cat suit, ala Galloway.

this is not a good end to the week...
Could be worse, it could've been an image of..
Cummings acting in that Cats movie

KDLarsen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th February 2020, 06:09 AM   #2965
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Interesting and depressing thread on why Julian Smith was sacked

https://mobile.twitter.com/pmdfoster...83610617622528
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th February 2020, 06:22 AM   #2966
Matthew Best
Philosopher

Meanwhile.....

A Brexiteer who was forced to wait in an immigration queue at an EU airport in Amsterdam has complained that "this isn’t the Brexit I voted for”.

Colin Browning, who described himself as one of the 17.4 million people who voted for Brexit, said he was forced to wait for nearly an hour at Amsterdam Airport Schiphol before his passport was checked.

“Absolutely disgusting service at Schiphol airport. 55 minutes we have been stood in the immigration queue. This isn’t the Brexit I voted for,” he wrote on Twitter.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-a9335281.html
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th February 2020, 06:34 AM   #2967
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

Do you think he waited in the non-EU queue, despite being entitled to use the EU one as we're still in the transition period?

I really hope he did.
Old 14th February 2020, 06:39 AM   #2968
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
Do you think he waited in the non-EU queue, despite being entitled to use the EU one as we're still in the transition period?

I really hope he did.
That would be funny. It would also be a clue as to the brainpower of the people who voted to leave.
Old 14th February 2020, 06:55 AM   #2969
Tolls
Illuminator

Well, it is the Brexit he voted for (as interoreted by Johnson). What did the twat expect?

Of course, this aspect of it will only kick in next year, but maybe he's just trying it out to see if he likes it?
Tolls is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th February 2020, 07:26 AM   #2970
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post
Meanwhile.....

A Brexiteer who was forced to wait in an immigration queue at an EU airport in Amsterdam has complained that "this isn’t the Brexit I voted for”.

Colin Browning, who described himself as one of the 17.4 million people who voted for Brexit, said he was forced to wait for nearly an hour at Amsterdam Airport Schiphol before his passport was checked.

“Absolutely disgusting service at Schiphol airport. 55 minutes we have been stood in the immigration queue. This isn’t the Brexit I voted for,” he wrote on Twitter.

Even as an arch Rejoiner, this story doesn't pass the sniff test for me.

As has been pointed out, he is entitled to use the EU citizens immigration line at least until the end of the transition period. IMO this story is either made up entirely, or Colin Browning isn't a Brexiteer and carried out this stunt to point out how bad things may be.

The only thing missing is a closing "and the the whole airport stood up and cheered"
The Don is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th February 2020, 07:28 AM   #2971
Matthew Best
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Don View Post

As has been pointed out, he is entitled to use the EU citizens immigration line at least until the end of the transition period. IMO this story is either made up entirely, or Colin Browning isn't a Brexiteer and carried out this stunt to point out how bad things may be.

The only thing missing is a closing "and the the whole airport stood up and cheered"
Did you read the article? Or just my extracted sentences.
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th February 2020, 07:34 AM   #2972
3point14
Pi

Bloke who chose brexit is so massively under-informed that he can't work out cause and effect shocker. Here's Marjorie with the weather.

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th February 2020, 07:35 AM   #2973
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Did you read the article? Or just my extracted sentences.
I read the article, which points out that some people are also sceptical of the report and which confirms that UK citizens can continue to use the EU immigration lines at Amsterdam.
Old 14th February 2020, 07:46 AM   #2974
Matthew Best
Philosopher

If he's not really a Brexiteer, then he's definitely been playing the long game, judging by his Twitter feed.

https://twitter.com/ColinBrowning14

On the other hand, I suppose Poe's Law comes into play at some point.
Old 14th February 2020, 08:09 AM   #2975
Ian Osborne
JREF Kid
Tagger

If he's not really a Brexiteer, then he's definitely been playing the long game, judging by his Twitter feed.
It made me chuckle that a couple of weeks ago, he wrote a sneering tweet about 'remoaners', and how he was celebrating Brexit in the pub. The tweet ended, 'He who laughs last, laughs longest.' Ironic, now the entire Internet is laughing at him.

"The fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown." - Carl Sagan
Ian Osborne is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th February 2020, 08:32 AM   #2976
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

I read the article, which points out that some people are also sceptical of the report and which confirms that UK citizens can continue to use the EU immigration lines at Amsterdam.
They can, but did he? Or was there a general snarlup with a computer glitch or somesuch?
Old 14th February 2020, 08:43 AM   #2977
Wudang
BOFH

From the article
Quote:
A spokesperson for Schiphol told The Independent there had been no changes for British travellers arriving at the airport.

"New Royal Netherlands Marrechaussee staff members were being trained yesterday, leading to longer queues at the passport control than usual," the spokesperson said
Old 14th February 2020, 09:13 AM   #2978
Delphic Oracle
Illuminator

See, this hopelessly disconnected from reality stuff is funny right now.

Right about the time politicians start laying the blame for all the problems they made and have no interest in taking responsibility for on "remainer saboteurs," that's when it won't be funny any more.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th February 2020, 09:23 AM   #2979
lomiller
Penultimate Amazing

I really hope he did.
I can imagine a hard core Brexiter refusing to use the line for EU citizens
Old 14th February 2020, 09:43 AM   #2980
Vixen
Suspended

I do hope Colin wasn't too shocked when he discovers the sheer numbers of cyclists in Amsterdam, as he appears to have a pet hate about them. When he sees what's available along the waterside and the 'special herb' on sale in cafés he'll suffer a coronary for sure.

Oh, and let's hope he speaks Dutch and not in the 'foreign language' he and his cohorts despise so much, when in someone else's country.
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th February 2020, 09:45 AM   #2981
Vixen
Suspended

...has anyone seen ceptimus lately...?
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th February 2020, 11:05 AM   #2982
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Meanwhile.....

But he's right. He was promised, by the people now running the country, a Brexit in which we got all the benefits and none of the costs of membership, that German car makers would ensure that we got everything we wanted in the easiest deal in history.

If he's realising he was lied to it's a good thing. Shame it wasn't earlier, a lot earlier, but the ire needs to be aimed at the people who've lied, not the people who fell for the lies.

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th February 2020, 12:36 PM   #2983
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
If he's realising he was lied to it's a good thing. Shame it wasn't earlier, a lot earlier, but the ire needs to be aimed at the people who've lied, not the people who fell for the lies.
Sorry, but no. In a democracy it is the responsibility of every voter to properly inform themselves about the issues and people they are voting for. It really isn't that difficult to do. If they can't be bothered to do that, if they happily swallow the most transparent of lies simply because they appeal to their prejudices, they are responsible for the inevitable consequences.
Old 14th February 2020, 02:32 PM   #2984
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
...has anyone seen ceptimus lately...?
Stuck in an airport queue apparently
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th February 2020, 05:50 PM   #2985
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Sorry, but no. In a democracy it is the responsibility of every voter to properly inform themselves about the issues and people they are voting for. It really isn't that difficult to do. If they can't be bothered to do that, if they happily swallow the most transparent of lies simply because they appeal to their prejudices, they are responsible for the inevitable consequences.
When multiple newspapers and politicians from the party of government blatantly and consistently lie for decades, and even the more reliable news sources 'balance' experts with liars I can accept that people will be taken in. Casting stones at the people who fell for it might make those of us who didn't feel better but the real blame is with the people with power and influence who manipulated them for their own gain. I'd sooner that ire was aimed at the likes of Boris Johnson than some prat who believed Johnson's fairy tails.

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th February 2020, 02:28 AM   #2986
Vixen
Suspended

Oh well. BoJo's cunning bridge between Scotland and Ireland is blown out of the water.

Quote:
Bomb-disposal experts have warned it would be too dangerous to build a bridge between Northern Ireland and Scotland if it was to involve spanning the vast offshore munitions dump that lies on the most direct route over the Irish Sea.

The most direct route for Boris Johnson’s idea of a 28-mile bridge would involve crossing Beaufort’s Dyke, a trench that contains more than 1m tonnes of unexploded munitions, plus chemical weapons and radioactive waste.

Robin Rickard, a consultant with the explosive ordnance advisers Exord, said “any intrusive works such as piling associated with the construction of bridges would pose an unacceptable level of risk” because it could disturb the munitions on the seabed.
https://www.theguardian.com/politics...e_iOSApp_Other

Can't be done because of bombs dumped under the Irish Sea.

How many hospitals are we going to build? Forty!
How many more police? Twenty-thousand!
How many more nurses? Fifty-thousand!
How many more buses? Hahaha!
How many bridges? _DOH!
Old 15th February 2020, 02:42 AM   #2987
Vixen
Suspended

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Stuck in an airport queue apparently
Ah. He'll be the one in the 'Non-EU' queue. 'Brexit mans Brexit'.
Old 15th February 2020, 03:04 AM   #2988
Lothian
should be banned

I have flown through there a few times. I have experienced realy long queues to get between terminals. I think we from the UK fly in to the same one and have to go through passport controls to another if we are flying out of the Schengen side of the airport. There are several queues to get through passport controls and when it is busy they manage the queues moving people around to minimise the queue length regardless of your passport.

So I believe it happened but not for the reasons he thinks.

Last edited by Lothian; 15th February 2020 at 04:55 AM.
Lothian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th February 2020, 03:41 AM   #2989
3point14
Pi

I'm wondering what exactly this man thinks he is owed by the Dutch.

Under what assumption is he working that makes him believe that he, a foreigner, is entitled to a damn thing while in a country not his own?

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th February 2020, 03:51 AM   #2990
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post
I'm wondering what exactly this man thinks he is owed by the Dutch.

Under what assumption is he working that makes him believe that he, a foreigner, is entitled to a damn thing while in a country not his own?
He's British!
Old 15th February 2020, 05:28 AM   #2991
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

I really hope he did.
I don't know. My knee jerk response was "This must be a Poe". But then I poked around his tweets. If it is a Poe, it is one of the more convoluted and pointless attempts.

Now in our office, we run a rather jolly environment. One of the daily amusements is the question "What is the latest insanity in the Mail or Express?" because one can be certain that they will have printed some utter insanity over which we can all have a hearty chortle.

Nevertheless, this "Colin" chappy seems to buy all of it hook line and sinker. His twistory quite plainly demonstrates it. At first glance, it seems like a parody account, but when one wastes the time to rummage through the history, it seems not.

You might ask if such people can possibly be real? Clearly, yes they are. If not, Brexit would never have happened in the first place.

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th February 2020, 06:19 AM   #2992
Ulf Nereng
Scholar

He saw two signs, one saying "EU citizens go here" and another saying "Non-EU citizens this way". He chose according to his wits. (Much like he did in the referendum)
Ulf Nereng is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th February 2020, 09:45 AM   #2993
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
I don't know. My knee jerk response was "This must be a Poe". But then I poked around his tweets. If it is a Poe, it is one of the more convoluted and pointless attempts.

Now in our office, we run a rather jolly environment. One of the daily amusements is the question "What is the latest insanity in the Mail or Express?" because one can be certain that they will have printed some utter insanity over which we can all have a hearty chortle.

Nevertheless, this "Colin" chappy seems to buy all of it hook line and sinker. His twistory quite plainly demonstrates it. At first glance, it seems like a parody account, but when one wastes the time to rummage through the history, it seems not.

You might ask if such people can possibly be real? Clearly, yes they are. If not, Brexit would never have happened in the first place.
I saw someone on twitter saying, "he's very Brexity"

Which sums him up. The archetypal Brexit warrior
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th February 2020, 07:21 PM   #2994
SezMe
post-pre-born

Meanwhile.....

“Absolutely disgusting service at Schiphol airport. 55 minutes we have been stood in the immigration queue. This isn’t the Brexit I voted for,” he wrote on Twitter.[/i]
I shed a small tear for Mr. Browning. It consisted of one molecule of H2O.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th February 2020, 02:06 AM   #2995
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Another reality check for those who think that securing a deal with the EU will be the easiest trade deal ever:

Quote:
France has warned Britain to expect a bruising battle with the EU in post-Brexit trade negotiations.

French Foreign Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian predicted the two sides would "rip each other apart" as they strove for advantage in the negotiations.

He also said it would be tough for the UK to achieve its aim of agreeing a free trade deal by the end of the year.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-51526784

It's hardly surprising when you consider that the new government has been very clear that "red tape" like workers' and environmental protections will be the first to be put to the sword once the transition period is over.

Quote:
The EU has repeatedly warned that the UK cannot expect to enjoy continued "high quality" market access if it insists on diverging from EU social and environmental standards.
Of course the "plan" as far as the architects of Brexit are concerned is to fail to get a comprehensive deal with Europe in the short term, have to get a "firesale" deal with the US and make lots of money out of the turmoil and uncertainty which will likely result.
Old 17th February 2020, 05:59 PM   #2996
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post

On a purely abstract level I fall somewhere in the middle regarding this question. Or rather, I think it is best viewed on a case-by-case basis. Some lies are better concealed than others and require diligence which might be beyond the inclinations or even capabilities of some people.

Having said that, the lies and pitfalls that were and are accompanying Brexit were made abundantly clear from the onset, and Brexiters did little or nothing to bestir themselves as far as uncovering the facts. It was far less confusing for them to simply paint anyone with outlooks that were not 100% positive as ... I believe the phrase was ... "lying Remoaners".

But they will always have the fallback position that got them where they are to begin with.

Anything that happens which they don't like will be the EU's fault.

So in this case, Pixel42, I'm generally inclined to agree with you.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 01:46 AM   #2997
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

UK Brexit trade negotiator insists that the UK must be allowed to set its own rules and not abide by EU court judgements.

Quote:
The UK "must have the ability to set laws that suit us," the PM's chief Brexit negotiator has said in a speech in Brussels.

David Frost has set out the UK's stance ahead of post-Brexit trade negotiations, due to start next month.

He dismissed the idea an EU court would have a role in future trade disputes, saying: "We only want what other independent countries have."
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-51538491

Of course the UK can have its own rules and can refuse to be bound by EU court decisions. What it cannot have is that, and a comprehensive tariff-free trade deal.

It's like saying that you want to wear jeans, a t-shirt and trainers. You absolutely have the that right, it's just that you might not also be allowed in the night club (showing my age there - I know )
Old Yesterday, 03:22 PM   #2998
Arcade22
Philosopher

Quote:
The mayor of London,*Sadiq Khan, has implored EU negotiators during a visit to Brussels to offer free movement for Britons through “associate citizenship”, as the “next best thing” to membership.

With the backing of the former prime minister of Belgium*Guy Verhofstadt, Khan called for the idea to be at the “the heart” of the negotiations over the future relationship.

Khan told reporters that he believed the idea had merit. “There’s an opportunity for us to move forward with this and I’ve been pleased with the response and it gives hope to*London, as well as across our country”, he said, following meetings with EU officials.

The chances of such an initiative making headway in the negotiations are extremely limited as it would be unlawful under EU legislation.

There is unlikely to be appetite for any rewriting of treaties among the 27 member states, given the UK government’s hostile attitude to the*free movement of EU nationals who wish to live and work in Britain.
https://www.theguardian.com/politics...te-citizenship

This is what's called having your cake and eating it too. British people really have an inflated sense of importance.
Old Yesterday, 09:33 PM   #2999
ThatGuy11200
Thinker

Originally Posted by Arcade22 View Post
https://www.theguardian.com/politics...te-citizenship

This is what's called having your cake and eating it too. British people really have an inflated sense of importance.
It would be were Khan a Brexiteer. But he isn't.

This is more like being forced to eat a moldy cake but hoping to get some non-moldy crumbs with it.
ThatGuy11200 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 11:56 PM   #3000
Ulf Nereng
Scholar

Yes, Khan is just trying to save whatever can be saved for his constituents. It is difficult to see how this particular kite can fly, though. EU would want the same thing for it's members so should they be allowed to be "associate citizens" of the UK? That's just free movement by another name. Or is the idea that this should only apply to particular citizens who need it more than others? The end of free movement for everybody who isn't part of the elite...
Ulf Nereng is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics